Anyone else not pre-ordering elder scrolls 6

First pc game I bought was Activision's original Mechwarrior. With crescent hawks revenge soon after.  The first Beth game I played was the terminator where u could play Kyle or the t800. I got Arena sometime afterwards on 8 3.25 floppy Disks...absolutely loved it and have rabidly buying each ES game ever since. Also have all of the Fallout games except 76.

Beth was the best...was.

ES6 will be loaded with microtransactions, buggy as hell and crappy dlc.  Mark my words. I used to forgive backwards walking skeletons that hit you in the face with their ass...

What the hell happened to dlc these days? These companies charge 5 bucks...10 bucks for blue tinted armor and THEY GET AWAY WITH IT?

Remember when beth charged 10 for horse armor and everyone went FN ballistic? Fallout's dlc was at least worth your money...new maps, enemies, loot, STORY... all for like 15 bucks.

AAA games are AAA garbage these days.

The only and I mean ONLY game I will preorder is Cyberpunk because I really want to support CDP red, and I don't preorder anything.

They seem to be one of the last companies that actually care about the game they are producing and the gamers that will buy it.

EA, Activision and Beth can pound salt if they do not change their business practices.

Sad that I never thought I would say that about Activision or Bethesda....EA well...I did like the original Need for Speed. 

What the hell has happened to my beloved gaming industry.... greedy bastards. 

After the utter disappointment of FO4 (monotonous quests, endless radiant ones, a world that felt utterly dead in all the worst ways) and everything that's happened with the video games industry in the last four years, I'm not pre-ordering anything. Hell, I'm not even going to buy day one anymore. It's just not worth it.

As for TES VI, I'm actually hoping it's never released. Starfield is Bugthesda's last real chance IMO; they've mucked up FO76 to the point the whole game is a meme and the company has lost most of its customer goodwill and engagement because of it. That's not even counting the commercial disappointments of games like Wokenstein and every other BS release in 2019. I just don't have anymore faith in BS. I'm half-expecting them to ruin SF by forcing mods for all platforms, console and PC alike, to be legally channeled through BethNet and/or the CC. That would be commercial suicide but I'm positive the company (BGS) is just that incompetent and greedy at this point.

And don't start with the tired "well Bethesda Softworks is a different company from Bethesda Gaming Studios." No, they're branches of the same company: ZeniMax Media. As incestuously intertwined as Activision and Blizzard are.

?

4 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

And don't start with the tired "well Bethesda Softworks is a different company from Bethesda Gaming Studios." No, they're branches of the same company: ZeniMax Media. As incestuously intertwined as Activision and Blizzard are.

You're just hating on them to be cool.  Stop being disrespectful to Bethesda.  (Ad nauseam every other pathetic statement made by Bethesda fanbois.)

I don't get pre-ordering in general. I guess it could be compared to that one time i bought a game for full price at release because i enjoyed the predecessor a lot and thought i've pirated it... although later i remembered that it was a give away to my graphic card xD. And regretted it quite soon because it wasn't as good as the older game, but it was a good game back then that i've replayed a couple of times without mods (or at all), something i hardly ever do. 

For TESVI that's even more the case, i didn't like vanilla Skyrim very much, i didn't like Oblivion really. Morrowind was great (or maybe i was just younger, and had less expectations), but no matter which game you chose... Beth games have been a buggy mess at release quite some time now, and even if i'd get it for free preordering i wouldn't touch it until at least a v1 of the unofficial patches is released... and most likely not without modding it to hell even for a first playthrough. So i guess 1-2 years after release is the earliest point i'd even consider buying it, if at all.

Starfield I'd try if it appears in the library i share with my brother, otherwise... maybe if criits are really good i'll give it a try in a year or so.

7 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

?

You're just hating on them to be cool.  Stop being disrespectful to Bethesda.  (Ad nauseam every other pathetic statement made by Bethesda fanbois.)

?

Being smart is the new cool. Besides I love me some disrespect.

All things considered. I love Skyrim but it feels watered down in terms of story. It isn't much better a story than Mario in fact I would even say that Mario is more consistent at least aside from a princess that gets kidnapped every other weekend. He is often accompanied by companions. I can't say the same about the "Companions" of Skyrim. I am of course talking about the Companions guild. Three times they abandoned me not that I want their crappy AI but still their reasons suck. For one

Spoiler

Skor one of my seniors in the Companions went and got himself killed because he charged into the Silver Hand camp alone and Aela acknowledging this sends me to fight against the Silver Hand alone because she is as stupid as Farkas. Kodlak sends me off alone to fight against witches powerful enough to give people lycanthropy because secrecy? It is no secret you're looking for a cure Kodlak. Sending out one of your elite members alone to fight against a bunch of scary witches who mind you gave the Companions a large chunk of their power is insane. Finally Farkas the knucklehead is too scared of spiders to come along. Where is my option to punch some sense into this moron? You are a warrior Farkas so get out of your funk and use that fear to hit your enemies harder. 

Compare this to Paper Mario Thousand Year Door where his companions only abandoned him once and for good reason.

Spoiler

After "defeating" the evil ghost Doopliss the sneaky ghost took Mario's identity and with it his companions. Considering Mario got hit by a curse preventing him from saying other wise he is stuck as this nameless shadow until he beats Doopliss a second time.

Okay now I'm sick of well reasoned arguments. Everybody has a different standard for what a good game is. For me I think it all went downhill for Bethesda after making the player character a family man. Why a family man? Is that the demographic you are going for? If so fuck you Bethesda!

Pre-ordering any game is just silly. Pre-ordering a Bethesda game? That's bordering on insanity. Might as well throw the money outta window.

I'm sure ten years after release, the game will be mod-patched to a playable state by the community, so I'll think about buying it then.

51 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

?

Being smart is the new cool. Besides I love me some disrespect.

All things considered. I love Skyrim but it feels watered down in terms of story. It isn't much better a story than Mario in fact I would even say that Mario is more consistent at least aside from a princess that gets kidnapped every other weekend. He is often accompanied by companions. I can't say the same about the "Companions" of Skyrim. I am of course talking about the Companions guild. Three times they abandoned me not that I want their crappy AI but still their reasons suck. For one

Reveal hidden contents

Skor one of my seniors in the Companions went and got himself killed because he charged into the Silver Hand camp alone and Aela acknowledging this sends me to fight against the Silver Hand alone because she is as stupid as Farkas. Kodlak sends me off alone to fight against witches powerful enough to give people lycanthropy because secrecy? It is no secret you're looking for a cure Kodlak. Sending out one of your elite members alone to fight against a bunch of scary witches who mind you gave the Companions a large chunk of their power is insane. Finally Farkas the knucklehead is too scared of spiders to come along. Where is my option to punch some sense into this moron? You are a warrior Farkas so get out of your funk and use that fear to hit your enemies harder. 

Compare this to Paper Mario Thousand Year Door where his companions only abandoned him once and for good reason.

Reveal hidden contents

After "defeating" the evil ghost Doopliss the sneaky ghost took Mario's identity and with it his companions. Considering Mario got hit by a curse preventing him from saying other wise he is stuck as this nameless shadow until he beats Doopliss a second time.

Okay now I'm sick of well reasoned arguments. Everybody has a different standard for what a good game is. For me I think it all went downhill for Bethesda after making the player character a family man. Why a family man? Is that the demographic you are going for? If so fuck you Bethesda!

Skyrim is really consistent with itself though... because every faction storyline is the same.... and the main storyline.

>You're picked up off the street by chance

>Everyone disrespects you or dismisses you

>Do random inane proving quest but shit explodes, "huh weird.. probably harmless."

>2 missions later you're sent on some vital thing for no reason and find out shit's bad when you get back

>Betrayal and/or death of the current faction leader

>Go to place, get thing, generic "ah these things have meaning!"

>Confront the traitor and/or save the day

>Hey you're the leader now, enjoy yourself as absolutely nothing changes
Works for the civil war too, minus the final step and the betrayal step, same from Blades though technically you're forced to kill Mario.

Congratulations you've just 100% Skyrim how do you feel? :L

I mean that's pretty petty of me cos it could apply to nearly everything but when an RPG has this type of storyline they only use it for one faction or two at most.

Pre-order for something with no release date? If they were smart enter comment here.... They would not release til a CK can be released as well. I also wonder about the whole creation club shit show will that be a part of it ... I suspect so. I don't see and good prospects or haven't in a long time as far a RPG game go. If they have a smoking deal like all DLC that may come out perhaps cost vs. content we will have to see. But, until I see a rock solid release date not even going to think about Elder scrolls 6.

So much scorn towards Bethesda, while LL community is built upon the freedom allowed in their games... Sure, those aren't pure gold everytime, Oblivion was lesser than Morrowind, but Skyrim was and is even more (due to modding) an excellent game, that you can tailor to your own liking like very few allow. How many solo games are still top40 in Steam 9 years after their release ? How many, nine years later, do still get that much modding attention, and fanfictions ?  And it's top40 only 'cause they separated Skyrim SE from LE, otherwise it'd be a top20...

However, even I can't say FO76 and ESO were on the same boat. Yet I won't judge a game a year before it can even be tested : no scorn from my part, but no pre-order as well.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, goes the saying. :classic_smile:

28 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

So much scorn towards Bethesda, while LL community is built upon the freedom allowed in their games... Sure, those aren't pure gold everytime, Oblivion was lesser than Morrowind, but Skyrim was and is even more (due to modding) an excellent game, that you can tailor to your own liking like very few allow. How many solo games are still top40 in Steam 9 years after their release ? How many, nine years later, do still get that much modding attention, and fanfictions ?  And it's top40 only 'cause they separated Skyrim SE from LE, otherwise it'd be a top20...

However, even I can't say FO76 and ESO were on the same boat. Yet I won't judge a game a year before it can even be tested : no scorn from my part, but no pre-order as well.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, goes the saying. :classic_smile:

Well this is all speculation. Either way Beth has earned that scorn and pre-orders without gameplay are a major red flag in general.

They've become nearly indefensible, their past games don't excuse their current actions or business model either,

It's only natural people would be sceptical(skeptical? English is dumb.) if not outright dismissive.

2 hours ago, megamantaray said:

Well this is all speculation. Either way Beth has earned that scorn and pre-orders without gameplay are a major red flag in general.

They've become nearly indefensible, their past games don't excuse their current actions or business model either,

It's only natural people would be sceptical(skeptical? English is dumb.) if not outright dismissive.

Past can explain why people are dismissive. Past can also explain why TESVI will still probably be among the most anticipated games currently announced. I'm only saying that being dismissive towards all of Bethesda's works (specially Skyrim) is just as excessive than blindly approving their current commercial policy. If people are reacting to it, it's because they had expectations at some point.

Anyway, to each one his/her opinion. For my part, I can't form mine on TESVI without sufficient elements to judge it. Smiley_jap_HFR.gif

8 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

Past can explain why people are dismissive. Past can also explain why TESVI will still probably be among the most anticipated games currently announced. I'm only saying that being dismissive towards all of Bethesda's works (specially Skyrim) is just as excessive than blindly approving their current commercial policy. If people are reacting to it, it's because they had expectations at some point.

Anyway, to each one his/her opinion. For my part, I can't form mine on TESVI without sufficient elements to judge it. Smiley_jap_HFR.gif

That's how it is, I think it's just easier to be ready for disappointment so you're pleasantly surprised if something good does happen. At least in this situation.

That's a very gloomy way to look at it but when a company has this kind of track record if you were a fan of them at some point you usually just brace for the worst, y'know?

Also that's a cute emoji. 

I heard Bethesda are taking a giant leap in technology for their games, with the whole photo scanned textures or whatever. All we have is bunch of shots of rocks and Shirley Curry's face model which looks surprisingly photo-realistic since they're saying they'll add her as an in-game companion. But bottom line as of now is that TES6 is way too far into the future and it's too early to make any judgments on that particularly. We have next to no info and who knows what Bethesda will be like when TES6 will come out. Maybe they'll become EA 2.0 or maybe they'll regain or perhaps even exceed their lost goodwill. For now we have to see what they do with Starfield, from the look of it they're gearing up for a major marketing push, i hope they've taken this project seriously.

But pre-ordering is still nonsensical. It never made sense and it never will. Why pay for a game that isn't out yet? Part of the reason why these companies now have the audacity to release broken craps is because they're already getting a lot of income. This disincentivizes these companies from actually putting in the effort before they begin selling. No matter who it is, no matter how good the reputation of a company is, you should never ever pre-order. It's only a recipe for corruption down the line.

No- I learned my lesson on Fallout 76 and the egregious, game-breaking Crapware Club that could easily have been handled without breaking SKSE.

Never again.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, Grey Cloud said:

? ? ?

"These Romans are nuts. N.V.T.S., nuts"

Mel Brooks - History of the World Part 1

18 hours ago, megamantaray said:

Skyrim is really consistent with itself though... because every faction storyline is the same.... and the main storyline.

>Do random inane proving quest but shit explodes, "huh weird.. probably harmless."

>2 missions later you're sent on some vital thing for no reason and find out shit's bad when you get back

Works for the civil war too, minus the final step and the betrayal step, same from Blades though technically you're forced to kill Mario.

I mean that's pretty petty of me cos it could apply to nearly everything but when an RPG has this type of storyline they only use it for one faction or two at most.

You could find a pattern for any story if you look hard enough. Perhaps this is Skyrim's?

4 hours ago, Darkpig said:

You could find a pattern for any story if you look hard enough. Perhaps this is Skyrim's?

Maybe. They had 6 writers on the game, one lead, five quest writers and two extra ones for side stuff so it's gonna get kinda formulaic sooner or later

Now that I think of it even Dawnguard which I really enjoyed the plot of has the same structure, I think the difference is there's a real actress in there and the content itself is interesting.

You can write the same story 10 ways and if you're good enough no one will notice. My problem with the game's lackluster plot is that they didn't bother trying to make them in any way really unique. Skyrim's only replayability value is in its modding and DLC, the only time your choices matter is in Dawnguard and really it's only one choice.

Anyway, this is all a pointless ramble but I did notice something interesting when I went to look up the writing credits because I was curious about that.

Fallout4 has the same Lead Writer as Skyrim and the plot in both of those is subpar at best, and extremely formulaic. FO4 also had 8 quest writers, and 3 additional ones.

I'm guessing this Emil Pagliarulo is an awful writer, and having so much staff dedicated to quest writing lead to there not being any kind of unique voice for either game.

In contrast NV had less people doing major writing which meant more internal agreement in general and probably lead to a more unique experience as the game came out.

That game has a different writing lead altogether though, it also had only 3 quest writers and the other 8 were additional, adding up to 11 total same as FO4, but maybe used better.

I got lazy and didn't cross-check their names, only the Lead's. My curiosity only goes so far.

Ramble ramble ramble.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, megamantaray said:

I wish for once they made an RPG game where you wasn't the hot shit prophesied one. Maybe I'm just sad, but I'd kind of find a really well made, immersive version of Second Life with Tamriel lore quite interesting. Like if you want to just be a shopkeeper, you can do that. Or if you're just an ordinary soldier or something.

I'm surprised they didn't go that route with ESO to be honest. Sort of a bit like how they did GTA Online. You join a server of hundreds of people, but you "buy" a home, or a business or what have you, and you can just do your own thing. I absolutely hated ESO. It didn't work in my opinion.  

"You are the one the prophecy spoke of. Only you can save this village/city/faction from this threat" *You look behind and see 20 other people being given the same quest*

The only game I preordered was No Man's Sky because I wanted to support a small development team and I learned my lesson, but as everybody else has been saying, the way Bethesda has been heading lately I will probably be waiting a least a year until I know exactly what the state of it is and what the catch is with modding. I would never buy a Bethesda game that does not allow free mods - simply because they always either cut too much content which should be in games to begin with or fail to fix game or quest breaking bugs.

15 minutes ago, Zuxuliax said:

I wish for once they made an RPG game where you wasn't the hot shit prophesied one. Maybe I'm just sad, but I'd kind of find a really well made, immersive version of Second Life with Tamriel lore quite interesting. Like if you want to just be a shopkeeper, you can do that. Or if you're just an ordinary soldier or something.

I'm surprised they didn't go that route with ESO to be honest. Sort of a bit like how they did GTA Online. You join a server of hundreds of people, but you "buy" a home, or a business or what have you, and you can just do your own thing. I absolutely hated ESO. It didn't work in my opinion.  

"You are the one the prophecy spoke of. Only you can save this village/city/faction from this threat" *You look behind and see 20 other people being given the same quest*

The only game I preordered was No Man's Sky because I wanted to support a small development team and I learned my lesson, but as everybody else has been saying, the way Bethesda has been heading lately I will probably be waiting a least a year until I know exactly what the state of it is and what the catch is with modding. I would never buy a Bethesda game that does not allow free mods - simply because they always either cut too much content which should be in games to begin with or fail to fix game or quest breaking bugs.

At the very least you got lucky with your investment and HelloGames turned NMS around into a decent game and put the work in to make amends for free.

Look at Fallout76 though. It's a good lesson to learn from even if it did turn out okay because it was certainly one in a million.

Preordering on hope or trust alone is no good.

Spoiler

This is a good vidya about the history of NMS, you might've seen it already though.

2 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

Got agree with megamantaray on NMS, the banner of my profile is a screenie I took of my modded NMS, I re-bought it on GoG since I hate Steam "auto-update delay" thing and prefer not to deal with a broken game due to it updating and screwing up my current play-through. I have yet to play through the game again after Beyond hit, but I did play a bit and they needed to work on the power distribution a bit there, thankfully there were mods to mitigate that stuff a bit. Yet, I think they fixed it with another update, so yes the devs do listen to player feedback and fix their stuff.. the same cannot be said of Bethesda. They could care less about "the people". 

<video snipped>

So, yes, NMS embellished a lot with the claims about multiplayer, but I was not interested in the multiplayer to begin with and found NMS to be a more relaxing game, similar to Subnautica at the present time. Now, Subnautica devs are very vocal about their political leanings but I overlooked that in that the game was genuinely fun to play, just like NMS was in the beginning as well, you didn't have a lot to do back then but it was pretty chill, well unless you planned on making a home on an extreme planet with hostile sentinels, then that could be more of frustration than chill. :P (100%ing the fauna or gathering storm crystals for cash to get yet another hauler to store more loot) Then there is the waiting at spaceports to get an exotic. Or having to go to planet ebay for that S class multitool. 

The Internet Historian video goes into really nice detail about everything that happened with and to NMS. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Fallout76 is the most impressive game of 2019 for me though, it's like Sonic 2006 all over again but I have no emotional attachment to the franchise and we're in the age of post-release patches and updates unlike back then where what you got is what you got, and even then Sonic 06 is wonderful to watch speedruns of, it's extremely consistent and competitive oddly enough. F76 is just.. special.

None of this really matters to BGS. They know that there are enough sheep who will still pre-order their games, who will defend them to their dying breaths, and will still consume their garbage no matter how bad it gets. Look at Juicehead's video on the thriving black market of 76 legendary items, most of which are duped and/or hacked. The players have so much money they don't need sense!

Anyone else for some whale hunting? :whale: