Anyone else not pre-ordering elder scrolls 6

16 minutes ago, 27X said:

Emil's awful writing is p much an industry unsecret and has been for a while. Thieves Guild being an absurdly salient example for context.

Is that who wrote that awful quest?

Lets see we got arson of beehives, poisoning alcohol, stalking lizards for interrogation, a revenge quest with Oscar the grouch, asking an old man to be your translator, making a deal with the devil, going on a revenge quest in a cave full of falmer(Brynyolf if this isn't karma I don't know what is), and returning key to said devil. Okay cool. When are we gonna steal shit?

Could it even be called a Thieves Guild at this point? The tone is inconsistent but still predictable. One moment you are stealing information from a brewery and the next you are a noble thief knight of lady luck. Honestly this did not need to be in the thieves guild quest line at all.

2 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Is that who wrote that awful quest?

Lets see we got arson of beehives, poisoning alcohol, stalking lizards for interrogation, a revenge quest with Oscar the grouch, asking an old man to be your translator, making a deal with the devil, going on a revenge quest in a cave full of falmer(Brynyolf if this isn't karma I don't know what is), and returning key to said devil. Okay cool. When are we gonna steal shit?

Could it even be called a Thieves Guild at this point? The tone is inconsistent but still predictable. One moment you are stealing information from a brewery and the next you are a noble thief knight of lady luck. Honestly this did not need to be in the thieves guild quest line at all.

The Nightingales, for as cool as they're supposed to be in-universe, could've had their own questline separate from the Thieves, they seem like an afterthought.

Probably some stupid asspull that was retroactively added back because there wasn't anything interesting going on otherwise.

So I'll be one of the few on here who will admit that I will at least consider pre-ordering TES6.

First off, pre-ordering or buying on day 1 is not the same as playing on day 1.  No doubt the game when first released will be full of bugs, just the same as almost any other huge game, or any technological endeavor, for that matter.  A lot of people love CDProjectRed, but they just pushed their own upcoming release back by several months to squash bugs and polish the game.  Just because I may possibly pre-order doesn't mean I'll be playing at the stroke of midnight on release day.

That said, as much nostalgia as I have for the Elder Scrolls series, whether or not I pre-order will come down to two things:

1)  Does it come with any extra goodies or swag that interest me?  Some people here have criticized that, but if the swag looks interesting to me, and I have the money, then why wouldn't that influence my decision?  If the extras are garbage, that influences my decision too.

2)  Is it a single player game?  I have zero interest in online or multiplayer stuff.  I played ESO for a few months and while I liked it at first, I really just want to do my own thing in my own way.  Multiplayer or online as an option for the people who like that is fine, requiring it to play the game is not.

Bugs will mostly get worked out eventually, even if it takes more Unofficial patches.  Even if BGS wants to support paid mods, they'll still have to release some sort of creation kit to do it.  People being what they are, no doubt some enterprising people will find ways to circumvent any restrictions BGS tries to put in place.

Betheseda screwed itself with it's abysmal Fallout 76 launch along with the introduction of the Creation Club. Then they tacked on monetization of mods atop that. 

The recent push to bring up Skyrim SE up to Oldrim standards has been pretty nice.  I pretty much have nearly every mod that I had in Oldrim working in Newrim and I'm happy with it.  FO4 is now in a pretty good place too. It was pretty shallow when it first came out, but modding it heavily has improved it drastically.

My biggest problem with it is the grind and how buggy it was. Why would you have to do 126(?) of these awful quests?

If it wasn't that long I'd auto-pilot through it, sure it's not required for anything but goddamn.

Also I honest to God have never had the Thieves guild even ONCE not bug out on me during the Nightingale ceremony.

Karliah ALWAYS tries to back out and leave the cave leaving us stranded until I use console commands to forcibly advance it.

This isn't even hyperbole. As far back as 2011, the very first run of the game I did on PS3, she just walked the fuck out.

I'll never understand but it is 100% consistent, the game's nearly 8 years old and I have never had this not happen.

These aren't writing problems though but still..

2 minutes ago, megamantaray said:

My biggest problem with it is the grind and how buggy it was. Why would you have to do 126(?) of these awful quests?

If it wasn't that long I'd auto-pilot through it, sure it's not required for anything but goddamn.

Also I honest to God have never had the Thieves guild even ONCE not bug out on me during the Nightingale ceremony.

Karliah ALWAYS tries to back out and leave the cave leaving us stranded until I use console commands to forcibly advance it.

This isn't even hyperbole. As far back as 2011, the very first run of the game I did on PS3, she just walked the fuck out.

I'll never understand but it is 100% consistent, the game's nearly 8 years old and I have never had this not happen.

These aren't writing problems though but still..

MadMansGun has the cure right above you.  ??

21 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

MadMansGun has the cure right above you.  ??

There's also Sexlab Solutions(I think) that lets you blow Brynboi, but that's gay.

I think at some point, because this has come up several times, I found a quest mod that restructured the Thieves Guild so you could destroy them like DB, or make them good guys. That's a good solution though, simple and concise. I always wanted to help out Mjoll take them out anyway.

In a vanilla game my first action in their base is to kill Dirge, sneakily if I can, I never come back regardless so it's fine. He's so annoying.

I also hate how nasally that discount Jason Statham fucker is. I forget his name, these characters are so memorable.

22 minutes ago, megamantaray said:

There's also Sexlab Solutions(I think) that lets you blow Brynboi, but that's gay.

Not if you turn him into a futanari. :P Actually there is an option to have your follower fuck him instead. That way you can whore Nazeem off to Brynyolf.

Okay now I'm getting off topic. Speaking of the Thieves Guild you are forced into having followers that can't sneak worth a damn and it isn't limited to the Thieves Guild. There isn't a mod to fix forced followers that I'm aware of. There are some follower mods that help with other followers but they don't touch followers with custom factions such as Serana. What a pickle Bethesda threw at us.

10 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Not if you turn him into a futanari. :P Actually there is an option to have your follower fuck him instead. That way you can whore Nazeem off to Brynyolf.

Okay now I'm getting off topic. Speaking of the Thieves Guild you are forced into having followers that can't sneak worth a damn and it isn't limited to the Thieves Guild. There isn't a mod to fix forced followers that I'm aware of. There are some follower mods that help with other followers but they don't touch followers with custom factions such as Serana. What a pickle Bethesda threw at us.

Technically this is all on-topic cos it's on how bad Beth is and why no one should preorder from them, if at all. Mods are a necessity to play their games.

That said, Nazeem is not a fate I would wish on my worst enemy though I guess if someone gave him a few jaw problems he'd be a lot less obnoxious.

To have proper sneaking you'd first have to rebuild the sneak system in its entirety though and then you'd have to get matching lighting settings or mods potentially, and oh my god don't get me started on how incredibly buggy and awful it was to have Serana around for anything. Especially if you were trying to grind Vampire points. Ugh.

I did mention I liked Dawnguard but man is she bad.

Thanks for the reminders of the half-assed writing, folks. The Thieves' Guild felt nothing like its incarnations in previous games, and neither did any of the other factions for that matter. Forget making friends with the beggars, acting like Robin Hood, and performing thefts that took actual skill and preparation to pull off successfully. Let's just act like thugs! ?

We saw the logical extreme of this lack of effort in FO4's quests and we continue seeing it in every Bugthesda CC mod and in 76. They're using the CW's MO: create crap that's poorly written and rely on people to just consume without thinking.

2 hours ago, megamantaray said:

Technically this is all on-topic cos it's on how bad Beth is and why no one should preorder from them, if at all. Mods are a necessity to play their games.

That said, Nazeem is not a fate I would wish on my worst enemy though I guess if someone gave him a few jaw problems he'd be a lot less obnoxious.

To have proper sneaking you'd first have to rebuild the sneak system in its entirety though and then you'd have to get matching lighting settings or mods potentially, and oh my god don't get me started on how incredibly buggy and awful it was to have Serana around for anything. Especially if you were trying to grind Vampire points. Ugh.

I did mention I liked Dawnguard but man is she bad.

I was originally going to suggest whoring out Maven as she is the one with the stick up her ass which is fine and all except she has to remind you and everyone in Riften about it.  I really want to put this creature out of its misery but Bethesda won't let me. How is that for roleplaying? But with Bryn's dick in her mouth at least we won't won't have to hear it. I guess the same could be said about Nazeem but Brynyolf only has one dick sadly.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:40 PM, Tirloque said:

So much scorn towards Bethesda, while LL community is built upon the freedom allowed in their games... Sure, those aren't pure gold everytime, Oblivion was lesser than Morrowind, but Skyrim was and is even more (due to modding) an excellent game, that you can tailor to your own liking like very few allow.

I would take that into consideration if SKSE and FNIS would be a built in feature, not something people had to create with hard work. Skyrim still may have more freedom than most other games, but that Skyrim can be more than Morrowind is purely due to the work of modders, not Bethesda. And the game is not excellent at all imho. I've played the vanilla game including all quests and exploring etc something like 100-150 hours, the other 3900 hours i've played mods.

How many solo games are still top40 in Steam 9 years after their release ? How many, nine years later, do still get that much modding attention, and fanfictions ?  And it's top40 only 'cause they separated Skyrim SE from LE, otherwise it'd be a top20...

Again, 95% is due to the fact that there are mods for it, which is mostly because of the community that was built in Morrowind times. I don't say it didn't expand or change since then but still... Yes, releasing the creation kit is a huge thing, unfortunatly not really challanged by any other company. Of course it does matter, a lot. But i have some doubts it's more important than SKSE, honestly, at least for LL and the ongoing sells.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:40 PM, Tirloque said:

However, even I can't say FO76 and ESO were on the same boat. Yet I won't judge a game a year before it can even be tested : no scorn from my part, but no pre-order as well.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, goes the saying. :classic_smile:

19 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

I was originally going to suggest whoring out Maven as she is the one with the stick up her ass which is fine and all except she has to remind you and everyone in Riften about it.  I really want to put this creature out of its misery but Bethesda won't let me. How is that for roleplaying? But with Bryn's dick in her mouth at least we won't won't have to hear it. I guess the same could be said about Nazeem but Brynyolf only has one dick sadly.

I think the mod also let you blackmail Maven actually.

I can't remember its name and I'm on the go right now but you can probably find it fairly easily.

22 minutes ago, Nazzzgul666 said:

I would take that into consideration if SKSE and FNIS would be a built in feature, not something people had to create with hard work. Skyrim still may have more freedom than most other games, but that Skyrim can be more than Morrowind is purely due to the work of modders, not Bethesda. And the game is not excellent at all imho. I've played the vanilla game including all quests and exploring etc something like 100-150 hours, the other 3900 hours i've played mods.

Again, 95% is due to the fact that there are mods for it, which is mostly because of the community that was built in Morrowind times. I don't say it didn't expand or change since then but still... Yes, releasing the creation kit is a huge thing, unfortunatly not really challanged by any other company. Of course it does matter, a lot. But i have some doubts it's more important than SKSE, honestly, at least for LL and the ongoing sells.

The mechanics of Skyrim as a game aren't that bad. For my part, with the notable exceptions of NoHealthRegen, Frostfall, INeed and Sexlab/Defeat, the games mechanics I do play with are vanilla's : vanilla fights, vanilla blocking, vanilla magic, vanilla sneaking, vanilla crafting. And it's only after 1500hours that I'm really feeling the need of large questmods. The remarkable fact here is that I have the distinctive memory of some of Skyrim built-in gameplay's mechanics being those that required popular mods for Morrowing and Oblivion (which is why I mentioned blocking).

Yet indeed, it's incredible what modders managed to do by putting their efforts in common. And the frameworks you mention are a spectacular example of that. Smiley_jap_HFR.gif

I can't even remember any game I've pre-ordered.  I must have done it once in the past, but it must have been such a bad experience that I blocked it from my memory.  I've even stopped launch day purchases primarily because of Bethesda games (and ME3 --  DAMN YOU EA!!!!)  When (and maybe that's IF EVER) Starfield comes out, I'll let others beta test it for me for a few months before I'll get it (and it drops 30+% in price).  Same with ES6.

Or I'll just Play Outer Worlds and skip Starfield altogether.

15 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Wasn't there a mod where you could obliterate the Thieves' Guild?  I think I'd really enjoy that.  Especially if you got to publically execute Maven Blackbriar in the middle of Riften.

There's this one:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28880

I don't think it has an SE version.

But there's also this one which is much more peaceful if you wanna be a nice guy and blackmail Maven, be friends with Mjoll, etc.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/84702

This is the one I was using before but on SE cos it has a port:

It also works with mods that reduce the number of jobs you have to do to finish the collection I believe but don't quote me on that.

20 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Betheseda screwed itself with it's abysmal Fallout 76 launch along with the introduction of the Creation Club. Then they tacked on monetization of mods atop that. 

The recent push to bring up Skyrim SE up to Oldrim standards has been pretty nice.  I pretty much have nearly every mod that I had in Oldrim working in Newrim and I'm happy with it.  FO4 is now in a pretty good place too. It was pretty shallow when it first came out, but modding it heavily has improved it drastically.

Nice perhaps, but unnecessary. SSE shouldn't have existed. It should have been ignored by the mod community. As if the community needed to be divided anymore than it already has been. Now people are constantly asking for ports and back ports, enjoying mods those who can't on LE and vice versa.

"But, muh stability." I guess it was well worth the division. I guess it was well worth supporting CC's implementation and having the SKSE team deal with constant updates. I personally think they should opt out of supporting anymore Beth games because of CC. I commend their integrity and loyalty, but not their stupidity.

Fallout 4 finally broke my fanboism, even after 250+ mods (mostly graphical and bug fixing mods) its still a $60 piece of trash. The very first time I booted fallout 4 and bam CTD why because it just works. Pre-ordering is now a thing of the past for, this whole thing also opened my eyes to the dreaded loot box or micro transaction debacle. I have decided not to support any of these triple A publishers. In fact I bought more indie developed games over the past 3 years than I have at any time. Also CC yea I see you paid mods you are not getting my wallet.

7 hours ago, 27X said:

Sure. 8 hours of progressive pandering and monoaesthetic corridor shooting sounds dreamy.

Hhhmm...  Compared to the macrotran$action filled crap-fest that Fallout 76 is and how thick-headed Bethesda seems to be, do we think Staarfield will be any different than Crapfest76?  Yeah, I'll take Outer Worlds over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:10 PM, Zuxuliax said:

I wish for once they made an RPG game where you wasn't the hot shit prophesied one. Maybe I'm just sad, but I'd kind of find a really well made, immersive version of Second Life with Tamriel lore quite interesting. Like if you want to just be a shopkeeper, you can do that. Or if you're just an ordinary soldier or something.

Star Wars Galaxies started out that way, Pirates (any version, as long as it is Sid Meier's version) and a few other games allowed that, but it is "hard" to please OGs (Original gamers), much easier to please the masses of console kiddies who play a game through once, with cheats and online guides.    That is where the money is, because those types of players buy games based on appearances mostly.      If you were in the gaming industry to make money, which group would you for?   The guaranteed profit of an established product lines like Fallout or clone of Fortnight, or clone of whatever game is currently "in", or do you run the financial risk of backing a game like LA Noire?

Pre-ordering is just a way to raise capital to help with building the game.   It allows the game company to "hedge" their bets and to "pump" up financial reports when the game is released, since all pre-orders are counted with the first day (or first weekend) numbers of units sold.