What's on your mind?

4 hours ago, landess said:

War. While many think about just the actual warfare, if the US was to go to war with China, where do we go to replace 'Made in China'? No Joke! Look at most EVERYTHING in your home. Meanwhile, concerning the winning of the war with 'new concepts'....

Not so new.....

Idiocy never changes.

What?

The saying is war never changes? You drunk boy.

5fd.jpg

4 hours ago, landess said:

War. While many think about just the actual warfare, if the US was to go to war with China, where do we go to replace 'Made in China'? No Joke! Look at most EVERYTHING in your home. Meanwhile, concerning the winning of the war with 'new concepts'....

Yep. One of the downsides of robotics in warfare is that fewer people die on the battlefield.  Might seem counter-intuitive, but when you're less concerned about your son coming home in a box, you're far more likely to push the big red button.  Shades of 1984 by George Orwell.

The economics of it?  Even fewer think of that side of things.  On the other hand, from a manufacturer's standpoint, when they're making money off of things that are being sent overseas to either get destroyed, or simply left behind, I doubt you'll see an end to their support of such endeavors.

One of my favorite sad war stories is that of South America's largest war, the Paraguayan War, also known as The War of the Triple Alliance from 1864 to 1870.  I recall that so many men were killed that for a number of years afterwards, one or more of the involved countries made poly relationships legal, as there were so few men to impregnate the women, and they needed to repopulate their country.  Even with such stark examples as that, "humanity" still doesn't learn.

22 hours ago, gregathit said:

That and the governments need to inspect everything.  Except that they don't take any responsibility for those inspections.  

Don't forget the old "Report things that are wrong! (But wait, actually, you might not want to, as if you report someone, we'll remember that you exist, and investigate you as well.)"  Yeah, certain industries are well and truly ducked.  With a big yellow rubber squeaky one, too.

giant-rubber-duck.jpg

7 hours ago, landess said:

I think this underestimates Americans incredibly. Just about every single thing made in China is sub-par. Who gives a rip if we have to pay for a slightly more expensive, higher quality version of the same thing. China's "leverage" is greatly blown out of proportion.

What's on my mind? My dang Skyrim (Oldrim) that keeps frustrating me. I download stuff without reading too much, don't do clean saves, and on and on. So obviously I keep having problems, sometimes big ones. Which has a silver lining in that it will keep me away from playing for a while and almost get me back to the real world, yuck!!! I want it to work, and I haven't overdone it with a ton of mods, definitely less than 30, but always having problems. Then on the times it does work I dive right in and have sex with everyone possible and keep wanting more, more, more. And freakier! So I hunt for new mods to add. An endless cycle of self destruction. 

But what's on my mind really? Finding someone local who knows what the f they're doing and can clean my game up and get it purring like a … well you know. And the kinky part of me fantasizes that I can pay by alternate means, just like in game. 

That's what's on my mind. A lot.

So ya, I gotta go take care of something that just popped up.

2 hours ago, dagobaking said:

I think this underestimates Americans incredibly. Just about every single thing made in China is sub-par. Who gives a rip if we have to pay for a slightly more expensive, higher quality version of the same thing. China's "leverage" is greatly blown out of proportion.

I so hope your right, but the popularity of places like Walmart make me consider more than my own expectations. Americans won't do the same work we get from China for the same wages, so everything will cost more. Slightly more I doubt. Don't underestimate the greed of American corporations. Besides, paying more, means getting less on a given wage. America also has less 'manpower', and just try to get half of the wannabe rich people to actually work for a living. I believe the days of the 'Greatest Generation' as described by historians - or - Capt. America :)  are long gone. The explosion of the 'Youtubers' ever since they started getting 'paid' for viewable content by advertiser's gives me an uncomfortable feeling that while we may be able to 'self sustain', I certainly wouldn't be alive to see it.

1 hour ago, JustMe469 said:

That's what's on my mind

I was young once. Enjoy it while you can, I guess.

12 hours ago, landess said:

I so hope your right, but the popularity of places like Walmart make me consider more than my own expectations. Americans won't do the same work we get from China for the same wages, so everything will cost more. Slightly more I doubt.

There are many other countries to get things from besides both China and America. Taiwan, Vietnam, India, etc., etc.

12 hours ago, landess said:

Don't underestimate the greed of American corporations. Besides, paying more, means getting less on a given wage.

Is this corporate greed or citizen greed?

Everybody wanting to know how all the magician's tricks are done. Once they know, they'll never enjoy the mystery of them again. What happens when all our curiosities are sated? When we can explain everything?

OH! I forgot. People will believe whatever garbage you feed them. The mysteries are safe. :beer:

15 hours ago, landess said:

I so hope your right, but the popularity of places like Walmart make me consider more than my own expectations. Americans won't do the same work we get from China for the same wages, so everything will cost more. Slightly more I doubt. Don't underestimate the greed of American corporations. Besides, paying more, means getting less on a given wage. America also has less 'manpower', and just try to get half of the wannabe rich people to actually work for a living. I believe the days of the 'Greatest Generation' as described by historians - or - Capt. America :)  are long gone. The explosion of the 'Youtubers' ever since they started getting 'paid' for viewable content by advertiser's gives me an uncomfortable feeling that while we may be able to 'self sustain', I certainly wouldn't be alive to see it.

I was young once. Enjoy it while you can, I guess.

Slightly more however, we are able to .. many times do it cheaper and with greater quality than can be done elsewhere. (cheaper without factoring in pay) US has an incredible infrastructure for transport, supplies and such.  Products can be transported around US very cheap comparatively to other nations (in general)

Raise the cost of living/wages in China to even 2/3s or so of what US has and see how they are able to supply us cheap products ;)  At that time.. the work will go to other up and coming industrializing nations... With cheap labor.

We would have much more cheaper products if it wasn't for cooperate greed.. (take a look at the stock dividends and such and compare them to 60s ~70s equivalents ;)  Take a look at the ratio of average pay of employee compared to the CE0's Pay packages today. Items are being artificially inflated in cost and quality is minimized as much as possible to deliver their pay check and to pay those investors. This isn't necessary, in fact, there is a lot of evidence this is actually slowing down the economy and harming employees.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201511/paul-keegan/does-more-pay-mean-more-growth.html

12 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

We would have much more cheaper products if it wasn't for cooperate greed

Fuck the global economy! I want to see something made in my country again. Besides, it's going to get harder and harder to find "cheap" labor anywhere as the disease of greed spreads. China has exploited our greed very well and are poised to take the lead in technology already. The West's main strategic advantage is almost gone.

Our corporations sold us out decades ago and now they pimp our consumer ass to the highest bidder.

57 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

Does that mean I am evil for having a random thought? Maybe, maybe we all are at our very core. 

You have a conscience and that's the difference. I've known people that have none. They don't care and can't be made to and can do horrible things simply to amuse themselves. Indifference mixed with greed or desire can be far more sinister than any measure of hate.

Today, as has been the case since Tuesday, the thing that's on my mind (and :heartbreak:) is what happened early Tuesday morning to a place I used to live and my heart still wishes I'd never left. The destruction. The pain. The sadness. The loss of life. It all hurts. And it's taken quite a bit of my joy away, especially since it hit where I lived for several years.

I know, I know... this thread was created to try to bring some more happiness and joy to the site, but, shiiiiitttttt y'all, I hate seeing mid-TN like this, and especially my old neighborhood. #NashvilleStrong 

Now back to your regularly scheduled content.  Apologies... I just needed to get those thoughts off my chest. 

Thought I'd try Reshade in FO4 instead of ENB. I messed around with it for a few days and then decided to uninstall because I didn't like one thing it did. Removed everything clean and was left with a bug. Apparently Reshade can fuck with your graphics drivers for some reason. Took me awhile to find that, reinstalled my drivers and finally fixed things after I'd completely nuked my game! Damn, I was mad.

8 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

I guess Bethesda gets a reprieve for Starfield, and it only took a world-shattering virus to do it.

They will find some way to create a shit show on it ... through videos or their "reviewers" .. they will do it. It is in their blood. ;) I have faith!

• 2 weeks later...