What's on your mind?

On 5/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, FauxFurry said:

Triangles. More so than usual when browsing this site. More so than I would in a music course or a geometry course, even. More than I ever have playing a rhythm game on a Play Station platform.

Thanks to the coming of Unreal Engine 5, they are all the rage these days.

Triangles are the most important element of gaming now. Triangles>Gameplay.

You're on a vanity site. Triangles have mattered more than gameplay since day one.

9 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Space aliens...wtf?

Military hardware allows satellites to read license plate numbers, but somehow in 2015(?) we still only have crappy video and photos? Looking like the images captured from the IR cameras on the front of air to surface missiles.

People need to get out more - this is getting silly.

As ex navy I was lucky enough to see the radar track of a concord passing thru our controlled airspace. ( I believe it was traveling from Mexico City to Paris ) Needless to say, it was pretty impressive, as speed meant more distance between the radar blips. but still it took a few minutes to leave the scope settings. Later we had a new installation using computers to coordinate the radar tracks from Daytona, JAX, up to Marine Base in Beaufort, SC. so our ability to track a huge area was considerably more. It was so effective sometimes DEA would come in at night and use it to vector their planes to suspected smugglers. This was back in '82/83. I'd like to believe things have improved since then.

And no, I never saw anything that couldn't be explained easily - I guess no 'UFO's' on my watch :( 

>>> BTW: If one 'see's the sweep of the radar going around the scope - that is Hollywood, as that will prematurely fry the CRT. To set it you increase the brightness to see it, then back it off till it no longer appears, leaving only the radar returns as the familiar 'blip', which fade over time, providing the course history of the track.

And interstellar travel would be such a huge investment in resources that aliens wouldn't casually come here to buzz aircraft, eviscerate cows or draw graffiti on corn fields.

Also, it's impossible :trollface:

Also, Daily Mail :classic_laugh:

11 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

Currently trying to think of a replacement Full ATX Tower for my upcoming Ryzen upgrade.  Leaning towards a Phanteks;

https://www.newegg.com/black-white-phanteks-enthoo-pro-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811854070?Item=N82E16811854070&quicklink=true

But there are others nearby.  Not sure what to gun for so a little advice would be helpful. ?

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/full-tower/haf-x/

13 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

Currently trying to think of a replacement Full ATX Tower for my upcoming Ryzen upgrade.  Leaning towards a Phanteks;

https://www.newegg.com/black-white-phanteks-enthoo-pro-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811854070?Item=N82E16811854070&quicklink=true

But there are others nearby.  Not sure what to gun for so a little advice would be helpful. ?

Depends on whether you're gonna play games or stare at your pretty case all day. If cost is a consideration, then you don't need anything fancy in a case. Good neutral air-flow or in mine I set up pressurized to keep dust out unless you want to liquid cool. Full ATX gives you plenty of room to work with.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:35 AM, landess said:

Military hardware allows satellites to read license plate numbers, but somehow in 2015(?) we still only have crappy video and photos? Looking like the images captured from the IR cameras on the front of air to surface missiles.

People need to get out more - this is getting silly.

As ex navy I was lucky enough to see the radar track of a concord passing thru our controlled airspace. ( I believe it was traveling from Mexico City to Paris ) Needless to say, it was pretty impressive, as speed meant more distance between the radar blips. but still it took a few minutes to leave the scope settings. Later we had a new installation using computers to coordinate the radar tracks from Daytona, JAX, up to Marine Base in Beaufort, SC. so our ability to track a huge area was considerably more. It was so effective sometimes DEA would come in at night and use it to vector their planes to suspected smugglers. This was back in '82/83. I'd like to believe things have improved since then.

And no, I never saw anything that couldn't be explained easily - I guess no 'UFO's' on my watch :( 

>>> BTW: If one 'see's the sweep of the radar going around the scope - that is Hollywood, as that will prematurely fry the CRT. To set it you increase the brightness to see it, then back it off till it no longer appears, leaving only the radar returns as the familiar 'blip', which fade over time, providing the course history of the track.

Different spectrum.   Electro Optic is great at reading license plate numbers, but if there are clouds, you have to go to Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), which is decent if there are lots of sharp angles, and bringing up the rear is Infrared (IR).   If you need positive ID, then your fighter is going to have to get close enough for the pilots to eyeball the target unless you havea  TARP package onboard, and that is usually fitted only for air to ground strikes.  So for the Air Superiority mission, there isn't really much need for good EO, since you are carrying Radar and IR seekers.   So, in this case, this is likely simple EO recorder, used for BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) and kill counting for air to air. 

I, too, was a former carrier sailor, though worked down in the Engineering spaces, but spent enough time topside to learn a thing or two in the cock pit of an F-14.

Spoiler

F-14D Cockpit | Fighter jets, American fighter, Military ...

On 5/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Depends on whether you're gonna play games or stare at your pretty case all day. If cost is a consideration, then you don't need anything fancy in a case. Good neutral air-flow or in mine I set up pressurized to keep dust out unless you want to liquid cool. Full ATX gives you plenty of room to work with.

Yup again; if it ain't broke don't fix it I think is words to live by.  I think I'll just use my current case and retire the MOBO and CPU in case I need a backup.  Thanks a bunch guys =D

Been surgically removing mod asset files from my copy of Skyrim in hopes to unbrick it. Maybe just manually dumping massive mods into the game's directory then leaving them there to bloat out the total size even if I decided I didn't want to use them wasn't such a bright idea.

Being my programming skills are self-taught I don't know how much inactive mods and their asset files effect the game in play, but I have noticed they bog down the start up load times. Thus far I have purged several gigs of stuff I'll never use again, so hopefully that will help the game crash less. Or at least load up quicker.

And still so many junk files left in there to go...

41 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

Been surgically removing mod asset files from my copy of Skyrim in hopes to unbrick it. Maybe just manually dumping massive mods into the game's directory then leaving them there to bloat out the total size even if I decided I didn't want to use them wasn't such a bright idea.

Being my programming skills are self-taught I don't know how much inactive mods and their asset files effect the game in play, but I have noticed they bog down the start up load times. Thus far I have purged several gigs of stuff I'll never use again, so hopefully that will help the game crash less. Or at least load up quicker.

And still so many junk files left in there to go...

Guilty as well, lol. I drop shit into my game files sometimes and use a few assets out of them, just leaving the rest.........alone and confused. 10 or 20 gigs later I'm wondering why my Skyrim runs slow. :classic_tongue:

10 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

So, I want to make better mods, but, that means that I have to spend time learning. I wouldn't mind that if it wasn't so complicated. Can't I just yell at the CK "MAKE MOD!" and have it work, lol? :classic_tongue:

It would be so much easier if Bethesda didn't create CK :P 

Perhaps something like "Hello Google" voice commands.  Google... create NPC.. lol

Got a little worked up a few weeks ago when on a certain "social media" site.  Got told by family that it may be  a good idea to step away from that for a bit.  I did.  At first it was difficult, then it was a week or so at a time that I'd be away.

I come back tonight, looked at what's being posted, and said to myself "Self. why do you bother reading this drivel?".  I'm really close to just swearing off it entirely.  Wow does that sort of thing do absolutely nothing for one's well-being.