What's on your mind?

On 3/10/2021 at 8:50 PM, GimmeBACON said:

Playing Skyrim, I watch a sabrecat maul two goats and walk away, got me thinking... they're killing for sport, how wasteful.

I wonder how hard it would have been to add in animal consumption... likely extremely. ?

It is tricky but doable since it requires model deformation or replacement (which could draw a higher content rating in some countries) .

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34597

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/28587

4 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Yeah it's scary to think how lazy people have become. I've known for so long that A) You can't really expect people to do a job right unless you're standing there watching them (no matter how much you pay them). And B) It's actually much better to do it yourself when and if you can because of A. :smirk:

On the other hand, I've had success with my limited number of employees over the decades. When I was just starting out I read an article in Medical Economics magazine. It suggested that not only shouldn't you keep bad employees but you should also let mediocre employees go. Keep only the good ones. It takes time to find them and I often went through more than one before filling a position but, in the end, it was worth it. I don't have to watch them every minute and their jobs get done (and done correctly).

9 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

You can't really expect people to do a job right unless you're standing there watching them (no matter how much you pay them

But they can be trained if they possess any basic skill worthy of keeping. One needs to works for, or run a company that demands responsibility. This usually cost a bit more in wages - but you get what your pay for. An example: I worked a short time in construction. Near the end of a job I was asked to drive a loader to various 'sites' on the job property and collect the extra 'pipe' sections at each. These pipes were made of a ceramic like material (forget the nomenclature) and while I was trying to be 'quick about it', I ended up driving over some bumpy areas, ending up breaking some of the pipe.

I found on my next paycheck a deduction for the cost of the pipe. Was I upset - yes. Did I learn something - yes. I learned to man up, take responsibility, learn from my mistakes, and do better next time. -Or- I could've stormed off like some butt-hurt pussy.....

5 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I've had success with my limited number of employees over the decades

Medical field? I think I've read somewhere you mentioned that. Those people are usually held to a much higher standard anyway, aren't they? I mean they have to be where people's lives may be at stake. But, then you hear about all the botched operations and malpractice suits and it makes one wonder about even that.

14 minutes ago, landess said:

But they can be trained if they possess any basic skill worthy of keeping. One needs to works for, or run a company that demands responsibility. This usually cost a bit more in wages - but you get what your pay for. An example: I worked a short time in construction. Near the end of a job I was asked to drive a loader to various 'sites' on the job property and collect the extra 'pipe' sections at each. These pipes were made of a ceramic like material (forget the nomenclature) and while I was trying to be 'quick about it', I ended up driving over some bumpy areas, ending up breaking some of the pipe.

I found on my next paycheck a deduction for the cost of the pipe. Was I upset - yes. Did I learn something - yes. I learned to man up, take responsibility, learn from my mistakes, and do better next time. -Or- I could've stormed off like some butt-hurt pussy.....

Sure... If you were warned about the pipe or were expected to have prior training and should know and had the proper equipment to handle it. If not, you got fucked. I've been left to work on machine tooling that cost more than I make in a decade with no prior instruction or licensing to do so. Was I expected to fix it? Yeah. Could I? Yeah- if the company had the equipment. I was expected to "make do" almost with a hammer and chisel. I don't fucking roll that way. Some other poor idiot would have ground away on that thing and spent a long time paying the money back.

Kind of getting back to the original subject, I like digging up info on things. It's okay to have just enough info to get things up and running sometimes. Other times though the extra details are needed for fine tuning or very specific problems- not to mention that any in depth skillset basically requires a very good understanding of how things work. We have some very good mods for instance because those people do/did take the time to research things.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Medical field? I think I've read somewhere you mentioned that. Those people are usually held to a much higher standard anyway, aren't they? I mean they have to be where people's lives may be at stake. But, then you hear about all the botched operations and malpractice suits and it makes one wonder about even that.

The staff to which I was referring are my office staff. They have little specific medical training. They are doing much the same thing as general office work as in a bank or an insurance office. Regardless, these people can (and do) make the difference between my patients being seen on time (which, I am happy to say, most of mine are) or having to wait for prolonged periods. I promise, I don't ask any of them to perform operations! ?

It occurred to me that, according to the Labor Theory of Value, Fallout: The Frontier and Fallout 4 are inherently worth far more than games such as  Fallout: New Vegas, Katamari Damacy and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2.

That should be enough to convince anyone of the folly of that 'theory'.

19 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

It occurred to me that, according to the Labor Theory of Value, Fallout: The Frontier and Fallout 4 are inherently worth far more than games such as  Fallout: New Vegas, Katamari Damacy and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Yeah, just compare the budget of Cyberpunk with the budget of GTA 5. It's kinda insane how quality stays so independent of cost in so many cases.

31 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Humans have a pretty messed up idea of 'value'.  I mean, once upon a time, long long ago, it was basically supply vs demand for the most part.  Now?  Heh.  I honestly have no idea what model we're operating from anymore.

I mean... diamonds?  Yeah, they're pretty, but uh... they're rocks.  Ok, people?  What gives with these price tags?  xD

Micro-purchases in what passes for 'mobile games' these days?  I've seen people spend thousands a month on "digital content", none of which they even *OWN* when it's said and done.  Mostly just for bragging rights on some leaderboard somewhere that almost no one even cares about.  Coulda spent those thousands on beer & hookers, if you ask me..  ^_^

I mean ultimately, what any given thing is 'worth' depends on some correlation between what the person who 'owns' it wants for it, and what any given consumer is willing to give for it.  Not *really* that different from the days of trading seashells and sharp rocks, but.. one wonders sometimes the things we as a society ascribe value to, no?  :) 

13 hours ago, Kitty said:

Humans have a pretty messed up idea of 'value'.  I mean, once upon a time, long long ago, it was basically supply vs demand for the most part.  Now?  Heh.  I honestly have no idea what model we're operating from anymore.

I mean... diamonds?  Yeah, they're pretty, but uh... they're rocks.  Ok, people?  What gives with these price tags?  xD

Micro-purchases in what passes for 'mobile games' these days?  I've seen people spend thousands a month on "digital content", none of which they even *OWN* when it's said and done.  Mostly just for bragging rights on some leaderboard somewhere that almost no one even cares about.  Coulda spent those thousands on beer & hookers, if you ask me..  ^_^

I mean ultimately, what any given thing is 'worth' depends on some correlation between what the person who 'owns' it wants for it, and what any given consumer is willing to give for it.  Not *really* that different from the days of trading seashells and sharp rocks, but.. one wonders sometimes the things we as a society ascribe value to, no?  :) 

Diamonds are pretty useful when used as components for cutting tools and drills but when it comes to aesthetics, they do not do anything that Cubic Zirconium does not do just as well. The same goes for gold though for computer components. 

8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Diamonds are pretty useful when used as components for cutting tools and drills but when it comes to aesthetics, they do not do anything that Cubic Zirconium does not do just as well. The same goes for gold though for computer components. 

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting they (or really anything) were *entirely* useless.  Just illustrating the false and inflated sense of value we humans tend to give all sorts of things for no readily apparent reason.  ^_^

I find that I have no interest in being drawn into arguments and "flame wars" on threads. And, while I am certain that the people I don't bother to answer, or refute, feel that this is a victory, for me it's just a matter of not wasting my time. As I've thought about that fact it seems to me that it boils down to three things.

First, I've found, in my life, that when the name calling starts the brain has been turned off. I have never learned anything valuable from someone who felt that calling me (or others) names was a good way to communicate. I suppose that the habit of calling names has been learned as a substitute for genuine critical thinking - but that would just be speculation on my part.

Second, is the use of Proof texting. This term comes from the habit, among some Christians, to quote a Biblical verse (or even part of a verse) without context as proof of their argument. (I'm sure that when he heard it, "Jesus wept.") Now, I'm not talking about using biblical texts on the Internet - heaven forbid! - rather, going to Google (or other source, or perhaps from their favorite social media outlet) and finding an "article" which has the right keywords and seems to echo the already determined conclusion that they desire and quoting it. Again, no context on the author, or the context in which the author is writing or of "what dog they have in the fight." While I much appreciate the use of references they are only valuable when used properly.

Finally, there is what the education community refers to as "the teachable moment." Most of us, most of the time are not open to having our beliefs evaluated, much less criticized. Social scientists have shown that when, in the course of conversation, someone is shown that their belief is wrong (in the view of uninterested third parties) the response is not "Oh, I didn't realize that!" Rather, the normal human response is to double down on the belief. The rare exception to that then is "the teachable moment." So, spending time in a thread, making essentially the same points, over and over, is a waste of my time. Generally, if I feel strongly enough about an issue (particularly a medical one with which I have a lifetime of training and experience) I will make my point once (or rarely twice) and let it go. Doing more just proves a waste of effort.

Taking the time to put this in writing has been a useful, personal exercise. It reminds me that I appreciate an adult and well thought out discussion such as I have with my medical colleagues. It's a shame that a similar ambience can hardly be found online.

11 hours ago, Psalam said:

Taking the time to put this in writing has been a useful, personal exercise. It reminds me that I appreciate an adult and well thought out discussion such as I have with my medical colleagues. It's a shame that a similar ambience can hardly be found online.

I find it is much more about reading and comprehend (aka the internet version of "listening twice as much as you speak")  rather than posting and proving.  However, when a site features a meritocracy type of environment (if you are a shit modder, most likely you will get ran off site), the level of discourse tends to increase.    I fear that this current rush in society today exemplifies victim-hood status and "it isn't your fault that you do not have <X>, but the <insert current political out group here>'s fault".    I think I heard it here "Hard men make good times, good times make soft men, soft men make hard times, hard times make hard men".

Also, I have used your tag line in conversations, so I see value in this specific site.......of course I also have an abiding admiration of the female nude form, so that may have something to do with it as well.  On that note, there are entirely too few posts in the Animated Gifs portion of this website.    Its not my fault, it is Psalam's fault.

4 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Meghan Markle for President on the United States.  Yeah..no trolling...it's actually a thing.

Well, sure  why not.    The UK has been trying to pull the US back into the commonwealth for a long time.   In Crusader Kings II, I have successfully pulled in Counties and even Duchies in a similar fashion. 

If I say anymore, it will become a rant, so........

https://www.meghanforpresident.com/

On 3/5/2021 at 9:01 AM, Dio_Wolf49 said:

So a week or 2 ago I saw a video from a WWII British commando about his commando knife and the proper ways to use it.  I find the knowledge fascinating yet currently useless to me as I'm not currently killing any Nazi IRL.  Apparently every time you see someone slit someone's throat in the movies or TV, they are doing it wrong.  The old commando in the video understands why throat slitting in done the way its done in film, but the real way is much more brutal and quick.

Push the knife in from the side of the neck behind the windpipe and then slice forward and out thereby stopping the victim from making any sound? I think I may have watched that video many years ago. ?

12 hours ago, Psalam said:

Again, no context on the author, or the context in which the author is writing or of "what dog they have in the fight." While I much appreciate the use of references they are only valuable when used properly.

A pet peeve of mine is when an author is cited but the quote is actually from a character created by the author.

12 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

A pet peeve of mine is when an author is cited but the quote is actually from a character created by the author.

What drives me even more nuts is when people cite the words or 'actions' of fictional characters as if they're actual people and it somehow proves some point or another.

Most often I see this with Sherlock Holmes.  Now, don't get me wrong.  He's a really cool character.  But I can't count how many times someone has argued a point when some discussion about legality or other "crime and detective" related issues are the topic at hand, and they start citing and quoting Holmes not as a character, but as if he were the author who "wrote the book" on being a damn detective.  xD

I dunno.. peeve of mine, I suppose, but I just can't help but sigh and roll my eyes every damn time.

7 hours ago, ToJKa said:

...Okay then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XVOMIyvjQ

Remember when Doom was about a common soldier facing hell (literally)?

I played DOOM (Original) and immediately got DOOM2 for more of that 'it ain't broke, didn't fix it' experience. Then when DOOM3 finally launched I was a bit put off. It was a haunted house with few if more than one at a time appearances by the Demons - pure jump scare shit. Gorgeous, but "not my DOOM'. Finally DOOM launched and while a much better take on the series, it was soooooo full of console tropes and mechanics it took me near 2 years to finish it. I stopped there because everything I've seen on the DOOMS released afterwards is just MOAR of that stuff. Suddenly DOOM3 doesn't look so bad from a narrative and visual style.

21 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

There ought to be a name for this psychological disorder.... and prescribed treatment. :classic_dry:

Procrastination comes to mind. And as far as treatment goes, i guess forcing yourself to break the cycle can work although i'm not a psychologist so i can't say for sure.