What really pisses you off? please no posts about nexus lol

6 hours ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

I forget why or where I heard that in Texas, everything's bigger, including the bugs. I wondered about New Mexico.

(redacted bugs) Wait, we have those, those too.

Plus Curly died, of natural causes (but he's still dead)

Plus I wanna go there someday, find a motel next to the well (the dried-up, pissant little well my grandfather bought 1/384th of)

At least you don't have bears.

No bears, right?

Or rats.

Vinegaroon-600x450.jpg.e6f833cbe9bf86714467d98d8dff5425.jpg171.jpg.7afff82a39bb4bc355e572100654e7e7.jpg

(NVM, (omg, wtf)

Capture.JPG.db77a22ec3ea7bd2a2f5dd3abeebaa88.JPG

We have big ass tarantulas, gila monsters and vinegaroons.

Bears are only in one area, but it is the only area of NM that actually has trees.

On the plus side we have the best green chile on earth and were the first place to give Dave Chapelle headliner status.

13 hours ago, landess said:

5-9.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The snow was actually kinda neat for awhile. Wasn't so much when the pipes busted and the power went out for two days. Have a feeling there will be a slight baby-boom from this as a consequence of needing to stay warm/occupied. Nothing dissolves differences faster than common, immediate necessity, lol. ❤️

4 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Wasn't so much when the pipes busted

I was stationed in NAS JAX in the early '80's. It did get cold enough there for a week or so that my old '68 LeSaber cracked a block and I remember asking myself - how much further south do I have to fuckin' go?

32 minutes ago, Starbrow65 said:

Argh! The Shakespeare Authorship Question! That way madness lies! Avaunt!

The son of a glove maker from the back of beyond or a polymath who travelled Europe and sailed with Drake when he circumnavigated the Earth and had an interest and knowledge in philosophy and various esoteric subjects? Bacon said his muse was Athene - (she who shakes the spear).

The arty-farty crowd who get all moist-eyed at the very mention of the name Shakespeare haven't got a clue what he was writing about for the most part.

:classic_ph34r:

I hate searching for absolutely anything on archiveofourown.org.  Just fuck, I'm trying to find good gen fanfics where a near canon Harry Potter grows up somewhere other than the Dursleys.  Like just Harry Potter, not a female harry potter, not a bloody indian harry potter, not a black harry potter, not a crossdressing harry potter; just Harry Potter with no creepily weird essentially paedophilic 11-year-old sexual relationships, and especially no creepily weird definitely paedophilic 11-year-old sexual relationships with men old enough to be his father, if not his grandfather.

Instead 'cause the bosses at AO3 have some kind of obsession with free tagging and lumping every tag into a single field; it's nearly impossible to search for anything without wading through a dozen other unrelated fanfics; even if you block nearly every tag you can think of.  It's a massive pain and must be nearly impossible for the volunteer tag wranglers to moderate.  

I do a search looking for the character Harry Potter, I choose the category Gen, I then do an or search in the string field with a bunch of tags related to Harry Potter being raised somewhere else. 

When I go through it I get a bunch of fics where Severus Snape is the main character, I get fics where Hermione Granger is the main character, I get fics where Draco Malfoy is the main character.  I have no way of removing them because blocking any of their character tags will block them as secondary characters, or even unrelated characters. 

I then have to literally block around 20-30 relationship tags where Harry Potter is in a relationship with x despite the fanfic being labelled as gen, cause I dunno, authors don't know how to tag shit so they pick every category they can think of?  I have to wade through consolidated fics of oneshots with about a thousand tags.  I have to wade through a dozen OC/X relationships cause they're never properly linked.  

It's just such a huge pain to find anything cause the AO3 devs didn't put enough limits into their system, I want to slap them over the head with fish and like scream at them 'Why you do this? Do you have zero ideas of how to properly design a relational database? Why you doing everything on the list of 'What not to do's' when you first do classes in data science?'. 

It's dealing with two extremes with the two major fanfic archives.  Fanfiction.net with zero tagging and limited categorisation, and AO3 with over-tagging and near unlimited categorisation.  Neither seem to actually do the thing they're designed to which is make it easy for fanfic readers to actually find something to read. 

I just realised I wrote a huge rant about this, but meh, I really do get pissed off when trying to find a good fanfic to read. 

Larian Studios.

Yesterday they had this 'Panel From Hell 2' bollocks to tell us about the upcoming latest patch. Two and a half hours of bollocks. Sound problems at the beginning, technical hitch not long in followed by Swen asking for the smoke machine to be turned off as he was choking.

It was like a 6 year old's themed party with everyone dressed up in silly costumes and talking bollocks that was supposed to be funny (though to be fair, 6yo boys are a lot funnier than anything Larian can manage). Typical Larian - they love their gimmicks.

I skipped through most of it and gave up on the remainder. From what I've since read on the Larian forum the big deal is that Druids will be in the patch (that's the Druids who have been part of D&D since God was a lad) - whoopy-fucking-doo. Lots of bug fixes which you would expect anyway and improvements to the lighting on a game which already looks visually stunning.

They could have revealed all that in half an hour but that would have required treating their customers like adults or at least intelligent minors.

On a brighter note I finished reading Julian's Against The Galileans.

15 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

The snow was actually kinda neat for awhile. Wasn't so much when the pipes busted and the power went out for two days. Have a feeling there will be a slight baby-boom from this as a consequence of needing to stay warm/occupied. Nothing dissolves differences faster than common, immediate necessity, lol. ❤️

Nope. Texas went full nuclear retard as everybody that could use the blackout politically on both sides of the aisle did, including and up to AOC, whom doesn't even know where Texas is on a map.

Except Ted Cruz. Because he was in Cancun fucking off.

The way any subject in existence has been overcomplicated to such an extent that two opposing viewpoints can be valid,

and endless discussions are spawned, 

and feelings are hurt, people are banned, all because the original meaning is open to interpretation.

No parking (except on sundays)

No parking overnight

After 9AM

I asked google what a user's handle meant. It looks like a word from ancient times.

Capture.JPG.f88adb48f84a08ebe278250cb3641e28.JPG

Youtube:"Present active subjunctive" (yada-folderol blah)

my GOD man, listen to yourself!! Or maybe that's all you do, listen to yourself. 

Stuff can be technically true but presented in such an opaque way it becomes meaningless.

On the other hand, nice name (I think)

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Nope. Texas went full nuclear retard as everybody that could use the blackout politically on both sides of the aisle did, including and up to AOC, whom doesn't even know where Texas is on a map.

Except Ted Cruz. Because he was in Cancun fucking off.

I meant the everyday mofo on the ground just trying to make a living to feed their family or whatever. We stick together, comfort and help each other in hard times- the way it should be- 'cause it sure looks like more hard times ahead. This little community is something that I used to despise and wanted to get away from. But life/circumstances kept me here and what I've learned to appreciate is these people's resilience and simple good nature that has seen them through many hard times. You know I can leave my car unlocked most places here and not worry about it? Used to be like that in San Antonio as well, but that was a long time ago.

25 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I meant the everyday mofo on the ground just trying to make a living to feed their family or whatever. We stick together, comfort and help each other in hard times- the way it should be- 'cause it sure looks like more hard times ahead. This little community is something that I used to despise and wanted to get away from. But life/circumstances kept me here and what I've learned to appreciate is these people's resilience and simple good nature that has seen them through many hard times. You know I can leave my car unlocked most places here and not worry about it? Used to be like that in San Antonio as well, but that was a long time ago.

I'd say if anything, the average Texan was a little too 'chill' about the sudden snow storm. Had they maybe acted with a bit of haste, then there would have not been as many people caught off guard without provisions to get them through the period of unprecedented power failure (be it from the power grid or the people in charge of maintaining it).

17 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

I'd say if anything, the average Texan was a little too 'chill' about the sudden snow storm. Had they maybe acted with a bit of haste, then there would have not been as many people caught off guard without provisions to get them through the period of unprecedented power failure (be it from the power grid or the people in charge of maintaining it).

They didn't have to act with haste, they just had to remember when this same thing happened 9 years ago.

31 minutes ago, 27X said:

They didn't have to act with haste, they just had to remember when this same thing happened 9 years ago.

They didn't have the widescale power failure to contend with so stocking up on salt for the driveways and chains for their tires might be all that many people were anticipating.

6 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

salt for the driveways and chains for their tires

I suppose you're right. The only thing I'll say in our defense is that we didn't expect it to be this cold for this long. We're used to sweltering heat for at least half the year and usually very mild the rest with some violent storms every so often. And we DID NOT expect politics to play any role in something that it should have absolutely nothing to do with. Politicizing something like this to any degree is reaching an all time low imo.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I suppose you're right. The only thing I'll say in our defense is that we didn't expect it to be this cold for this long. We're used to sweltering heat for at least half the year and usually very mild the rest with some violent storms every so often. And we DID NOT expect politics to play any role in something that it should have absolutely nothing to do with. Politicizing something like this to any degree is reaching an all time low imo.

8 minutes ago, GimmeBACON said:

They politicize everything, how much lower can they sink in their power plays?

A pandemic has been politicized (that's why we can't talk about it here - it violates the NO POLITICS clause of the rules). 

No natural disaster has EVER been politicized... okay, maybe Hurricane Katrina. Oh, and Super Storm Sandy. And there were all those California wildfires and mudslides and ... okay, they politicize EVERYTHING.

When people talk of 'politics' and its cognates what they generally mean is party politics.

Politics (from Greek: Πολιτικά, politiká, 'affairs of the cities') is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations between individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics

Things such as natural disasters and pandemics are political in that they affect communities.

10 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Being online and able to type on your relatively dry computer (no wait, they have cell phones now)

Um, I'm glad you're OK, you're one of the best posters here (unless you're paid, then "Good job")

My internet died but it was part of a plan (that's what their site says, anyway)

and it wasn't fun listening to very old music and trying to watch a western or two.

5 hours ago, Psalam said:

No natural disaster has EVER been politicized... okay, maybe Hurricane Katrina. Oh, and Super Storm Sandy. And there were all those California wildfires and mudslides and ... okay, they politicize EVERYTHING.

Worst (or really I should say most ridiculous) case of this I've seen was back around 2010 somewhere.  I had driven down to visit my cousin in Cape Coral Florida, and had to move my car, as it was brand new and getting pelted by the insane amount of salt they were spreading on the streets.

Mind you, it was like 75 Degrees and not a storm system on the radar, but there was some "salt for all roads in America" crap going on at the time.  I can't remember if it was left-over legislation from Bush or if it was Obama's, but either way it was so utterly stupid and wasteful.  All we could do was sit there and laugh watching these trucks spread road salt in a place that has nearly-never had any use for it whatsoever, and CERTAINLY didn't that year.

Now this WAS a response to the previous winter, where lots of major highways and interstates had been locked up for days with accidents, being completely snowed/iced over, and the responses were slow to non-existent for up to a week which had left people stranded in cars with the red cross going out to try to provide food, heat, etc..  So in theory, we got the idea, sure.  Make sure everyone has it AVAILABLE would probably have been a good thing, but turning the whole thing into some bureaucratic lunacy, and the sheer waste of man hours, resources, etc that it caused?  Heh.  Rarely seen such blatant examples of following the letter, rather than any meaningful spirit of a piece of legislation.  :P

17 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Texan was a little too 'chill'

It's always interesting for me when there is snow anywhere in US. I now live in NJ. Here, they say it will snow on Monday (just an example... don't know, don't care if it snows on Monday or how much)... anyway, they say will snow Monday... within 2 hours, there is no snow shovels (did everyone throw out the ones they bought last year?) There is no milk, bread and eggs in any store... Is it a tradition to eat French Toast when it snows in NJ??? Then, it snows 3 cm and everyone crashes there cars because they don't slow down just a little.

I grew up, it was 1 m of snow and women push baby strollers 1 km or more to the market where there was always milk, bread and eggs! ))) Oh... we also never had reliable electric or water, so that never bothered anyone either.

2 hours ago, Kitty said:

stupid and wasteful

You and I don't use something, we save money... government does not use something the budget is cut, so they feel better to waste. (((

4 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

You and I don't use something, we save money... government does not use something the budget is cut, so they feel better to waste. (((

I can verify this from personal experience in the Navy. There just HAS to be a better way to determine the budget of ANY branch of government. Losing part of ones budget because it wasn't spent, and then having to fight to the death to get it raised makes for some lousy financial decisions.

what pisses me off is censorship and these sjw's/resetera and the current feminism and that companies now a days are shoving woke political agenda in games/movies etc. They are censoring mass effect legendary edition just like how they censor anime but they are perfectly fine with a horrible movie in netflix that I don't even want to put its name here. They are perfectly fine with a half naked Miley Cyrus flopping around on a stage and encourage it. Just like they encourage other females to do the same. it Yet when it comes to movies/anime or video games it is bad and women need to be covered up.

The DC Universe "reboot" (or whatever the hell they're calling it) - TV stuff.

I just caught up on as much as Netflix has, so some of the shows may have newer seasons than I'm privy to, but they should feel honored I watched at all, since in general, I gave up on most television like 20 - 30 years back or more.  It tends to suck.

Specifically though, where this new conglomerate of DC goes..  (Arrow, SuperGirl, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning... others?)

Oh, and gonna do this AS spoiler-free as possible but, some of it for point of reference will not be avoidable.  So if you want none at all, GTFO now.  You have been warned.  ^_^

So like... when they basically tossed some canon clean out the window, and bent the hell out of lots of the rest, I was actually pretty cool with it.  I mean sure... it took a little "eh, let's see how this goes" and adjustment and whatnot.  Had to let go of some stuff I clung to just because it was "classic" or whatever, but I really tried, and really wanted to give it all a fair chance.  Even when they started shoving what I consider to be good, beneficial ideas completely down my throat, I was like.. ok.. I get it.. they're trying to make a point and they're a little over-zealous here.  We can let that slide.

Now, that's a WHOLE different discussion, so for this purpose, I'll just say that while I'm completely about equality and representation for all races, genders, orientations, etc, when you push it SO hard that it just feels utterly forced, and your "entertainment" becomes little more than a platform?  IMO, you're doing it wrong, but again.. that's not even my complaint here.  I was willing to put up with that because as stated, I DO believe in equality, so at least the message was (IMO) positive, and at that time, the shows were still clever and entertaining.  I mean sure... Flash was cheesy, Legends was kinda like a modern day 3+ stooges, Supergirl was obviously always gonna be about "Girl power" from day one.. so each had their cheese and fluff, but you kinda expect a certain amount of that going in, so hey.. as long as you can still find a few laughs or catch yourself rooting for the team.. who cares, right?  Well, I was there until the "Crisis" mess....  and this is where the bits of spoiler has to be referenced, since it's the only way I can really track this but..

The season of each show leading up to and including the big mega crossover felt... I dunno.  I was just sitting here going, "Yeah, ok.. it's inevitable.. let's GO already..."

But sadly, that paled in comparison to everything Netflix has to offer on ANY of these shows POST-Crisis.  I mean.. seriously, it feels like they walked in right after that whole crossover, fired every writer with any talent whatsoever, and hired a bunch of monkeys and didn't even give them typewriters.  90s era sitcom fart jokes were funnier and written better, and I really really hate low-brow fart comedy like 99.99% of the time so that's saying something.

I mean.. I just finished up what's available for Legends, and they actually had a scene where some of the main characters stole stuff from "Sam and Dean's Impala" because they somehow wound up on the set of an episode of Supernatural, where the crew attacks as zombies.  And this was like the Nth break of the 4th wall, and it's just gotten so freaking ridiculous at this point that I feel depth and story have gone utterly out the window, but.. heh..  Put me in a pointed hat and call me an idiot, I'm invested now, since I've been following all these damn shows for like 5+ seasons and I wanna know "how it ends", but more and more, I find myself really pissed off and annoyed at the whole damn thing.

And... heh.  Sorry for anyone who truly loves any/all of these things in their more recent incarnations.  Not trying to offend.  Just needed to vent and bitch a little, and so.. my home and fellow seething cynics here on LL came to mind.  Hope none of you mind too terribly much.  ^_^