Jump to content
Dragonjoe69

What really pisses you off? please no posts about nexus lol

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Bethesda games are the worst offender of this IMHO

 

I had taken years off from the Assassin's creed games. Not to say 'they' were actually a good stealth simulator but it was a game mechanic and when I finally decided to go back when Origins released, remember getting quite annoyed with the same thing you refer to. Example. I could be on a roof a fair distance from a group of potential enemies. While in 'stealth' I could shoot an arrow using a bow equivalent of a sniper rifle. Somehow those clever bastards could in the blink of an eye, use mathematics without any kind of lasers or other surveying devices to determine the exact point of origin from which that arrow was fired. I learned to shoot, then leave the 'area' like all good snipers are taught, and watched as the rest of the group would approach, and climb to the EXACT location I had fired from. Pretty 'nifty' if I do say so myself.

 

I still remember playing THIEF - The Dark Project, as my entry into stealth games. While not perfect, it set a standard which many have moved further and further from as time passes. I recently purchased Metal Gear Solid V on sale, as I wanted to see what all the noise was about concerning this IP, and this seemed to be the best choice as a PC player for a good looking and fairly well received entry. Let me just say that most of the noise from the console generation proves to me they haven't experienced PC gaming and appear to be wildly impressed with 'less'.

 

>>Getting a bit off course but I'm reminded of the entire concept of 'achievements and collectables'. A game 'mechanic' introduced to consoles to make up for the lack of content due to old console limitations. Like good puppies needing their achievements, I see this crap on everything now even though it's not 'needed' anymore - proof Pavlov's Dog is alive and well.

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Kitty said:

Meh... trolls who just think they're SO clever, and no one anywhere ever said anything as witty as them, just in order to be annoying

 

I'm pissed real life doesn't have an Ignore Feature as effective as those in the digital world. I can easily put an idiot on ignore and NEVER feel like I'll miss something 'important'. Perhaps this is why I don't get addicted to things like Twitter.

Link to post
1 hour ago, landess said:

 

I had taken years off from the Assassin's creed games. Not to say 'they' were actually a good stealth simulator but it was a game mechanic and when I finally decided to go back when Origins released, remember getting quite annoyed with the same thing you refer to. Example. I could be on a roof a fair distance from a group of potential enemies. While in 'stealth' I could shoot an arrow using a bow equivalent of a sniper rifle. Somehow those clever bastards could in the blink of an eye, use mathematics without any kind of lasers or other surveying devices to determine the exact point of origin from which that arrow was fired. I learned to shoot, then leave the 'area' like all good snipers are taught, and watched as the rest of the group would approach, and climb to the EXACT location I had fired from. Pretty 'nifty' if I do say so myself.

 

I still remember playing THIEF - The Dark Project, as my entry into stealth games. While not perfect, it set a standard which many have moved further and further from as time passes. I recently purchased Metal Gear Solid V on sale, as I wanted to see what all the noise was about concerning this IP, and this seemed to be the best choice as a PC player for a good looking and fairly well received entry. Let me just say that most of the noise from the console generation proves to me they haven't experienced PC gaming and appear to be wildly impressed with 'less'.

 

>>Getting a bit off course but I'm reminded of the entire concept of 'achievements and collectables'. A game 'mechanic' introduced to consoles to make up for the lack of content due to old console limitations. Like good puppies needing their achievements, I see this crap on everything now even though it's not 'needed' anymore - proof Pavlov's Dog is alive and well.

So far, the only Assassin's Creed I've gotten around to was Black Flag.  I really wanted to play a good pirate themed game, and found there's a shocking lack of them out there.  I enjoyed the game, especially sailing around for no apparent reason just to make my crew sing shanties. xD  I don't think this one was as stealth-focused as some others in the series (from what I've heard), but I do recall some of the stealth mechanics being pretty crappy.

 

Not bad enough to make the game suck, but definitely had enough issues that it'll only ever be a "favorite" in terms of Pirate Genre games, but that's again largely due to very little available competition.

 

Never have played Thief.  Really not sure what the heck I was doing back in the day when it was all new and shiny.  I know I had MEANT to go back and play these for a long time, but... stupid life, blah blah, so by the time I really found the time, I guess I sorta got cold feet, because even though I'm pretty good at enjoying classics, I also know a fair bit of that is the nostalgia, which won't be present for any first time experience and I didn't want that to sour me to what I'm quite sure is probably every bit the great game(s) people have been saying for years.  Interestingly enough, I own two MGS packs around here somewhere.. I forget exactly when I grabbed them, so therefore, how many titles are in each.  One is for PC, the other PS3, if memory serves, but I'm still putting off playing THOSE for pretty much the same reason.  Heard a lot of "OMG! You HAVE to play these most awesomest games ever written!" stuff over the years and sort of afraid I'll fire them up and go "Meh.. it's ok" xD

 

Ugh.. Achievements.  Probably my biggest love/hate in the video game world.  I mean, deep down, I REALLY wish they never happened and/or someone would finally get us off that crap and make them go the hell away.  That said, I often can not help myself trying to 100% everything I play.  The damn badge is just taunting me, and you gotta catch 'em all, y'know?  lol

 

Add that to my list of things that piss me off is when I suddenly realize I've long since truly enjoyed the game I'm playing, but now I'm just grinding for some stupid achievement that's basically just there to add artificial "replay" (or in many cases, keep-play) value.

 

Most of the ones that aren't TOO crazy, I get... sooner or later, as I am one of those who generally enjoys replaying (good) games anyway so I may as well do this "task list" while I'm at it.  Some I'm like... uh... no.  I remember some in the Gears of War series with really high kill counts, and I think I recall a few in Final Fantasy XIII that were just like.. noway am I grinding that crap.  hehe.  Oh, and I almost universally ignore any and all multiplayer achievements.  I can very rarely stand any sort of multi-player anymore (long list of reasons), so I sort of mentally delete any/all MP achievements the first time I load the damn game - which obviously MUST have a strong SP game in the first place, or I wouldn't even load it up to begin with.  ;)

 

1 hour ago, landess said:

 

I'm pissed real life doesn't have an Ignore Feature as effective as those in the digital world. I can easily put an idiot on ignore and NEVER feel like I'll miss something 'important'. Perhaps this is why I don't get addicted to things like Twitter.

Oh that'd be so nice.  Wonder if someone will make an app for that someday.  Probably once augmented reality becomes mainstream.

 

<Beep> and suddenly your AR glasses/headset filter the targeted person completely out of your view/hearing.  Would be awesome.. until all the mutually ignored people all try to like get on a train or something and just keep bumping into "invisible walls" I guess.  xD

Link to post
On 3/5/2021 at 2:01 AM, Kitty said:

So far, the only Assassin's Creed I've gotten around to was Black Flag.  I really wanted to play a good pirate themed game, and found there's a shocking lack of them out there.  I enjoyed the game, especially sailing around for no apparent reason just to make my crew sing shanties. xD  I don't think this one was as stealth-focused as some others in the series (from what I've heard), but I do recall some of the stealth mechanics being pretty crappy.

 

 

I thought black flag was good story wise, but still wish for a visually appealing 'Pirates" from Sid Meier.   Now that was a fun open world game.   I love how you had a time limit, only having about 10 years to get your fortune and fame amassed enough to enjoy it.    I guess games that appeal to that market don't sell very well, certainly not to the console crowd.   

 

Link to post
On 3/4/2021 at 8:27 PM, Darkpig said:

I find myself lacking things to get pissed off at.

Increasingly the case with me. What shocks me more now is how much mellower i've gotten as of late and i've always been a fairly mellow fellow lol.

Link to post
14 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

I thought black flag was good story wise, but still wish for a visually appealing 'Pirates" from Sid Meier.   Now that was a fun open world game.   I love how you had a time limit, only having about 10 years to get your fortune and fame amassed enough to enjoy it.    I guess games that appeal to that market don't sell very well, certainly not to the console crowd.  

I can even handle the dated graphics and whatnot of old Sid Meyer's.  I think it's actually the reason my standards are so high now for games of the genre.

 

Granted, it's quite dated now, but more importantly I must have played it hundreds, perhaps thousands of times over the years.  Sooner or later, you need something "like that but new and different"  lol

Link to post

Here's a recipe for an apple desert, they said.
It'll be fun they said.

It was a LOT of work, counterintuitive, and the crust wasn't PIE crust.

Guess which recipe got thrown in the trash?

Blech.  What a waste of perfectly good ingredients.

Link to post

Origin.

 

More specifically, this disaster they call a game library / downloader / whatever.

 

So, I figure... hey, I've owned the Mass Effect trilogy like.. forever.  Matter of fact, I owned the whole damn thing (still do somewhere) on X360, as well as having bought the hard copy CD trilogy before I found the (seemingly HAH) more convenient Origin/digital versions.

 

Being a true (probably somewhat insane and obsessed) fan, I own basically every piece of DLC I know of for any damn version I may wish to load up.  Yeah, cool so far.

 

So with the advent of this HD/remaster/whatever they're pushing it as, I figure "Hey.. I'm sorta-kinda between games right now.. couple on my radar I wanna get into, but people here are busting ass making some damn cool mods that I wanna give a little more time before I jump in so..  Let's play through the ME trilogy again NOW, maybe with some mods (lewd or not, don't care, just might be interesting) which will mean I'll be SO less likely tempted by this marketing cash-in BS that's about to happen."

 

Sounds like a good idea... all except because of EA/Origin's BS, the fact that the "Cerberus Network" is essentially defunct, let alone game servers, etc..  The stupid origin program keeps refusing to install basically anything except the original games.  It gets into any of my DLC (which even Origin's launcher is smart enough to know I already payed for) and it keeps getting stuck at 0%.  I can sometimes force one to "repair", which it apparently does, then bounces it right back to "Downloading" but, stuck at 0%.

 

I've been at this 2 damn days now, dug through dozens of pages of "Oh, hey.. fix your bullshit ME won't install issues.." posts.. 

 

At this point, I'm almost ready to look up their goddamn office address and drive the hell out there.

 

Ugh.. gonna fight with it a bit more, but I swear.  If this is a prelude to basically screwing over everyone who already owns this crap, and the ONLY way to get them working again becomes buying this damn remastered version... Oh I'm gonna snap.  =/

 

Link to post

Wow, the UK is ........interesting.     I wonder if there is any hope or now the whiff of perceived racism will doom the Royal family.    What pisses me off is that I know far too much about this already.    At least some one on this site introduced me to Rock and Rule, which, being a fan of Heavy Metal, gave me a much needed respite to the insanity that is going on in the world.   

 

Ah, back in the time when teen age boys were allowed to be horny and envy John Candy's geek character who has to use a flag to keep from walking around "with his dork hanging out", getting not one, but two hot  babes, one good one evil.....which, back then was the meaning of equality.

Link to post
1 hour ago, steelpanther24 said:

Wow, the UK is ........interesting.     I wonder if there is any hope or now the whiff of perceived racism will doom the Royal family.    What pisses me off is that I know far too much about this already.    At least some one on this site introduced me to Rock and Rule, which, being a fan of Heavy Metal, gave me a much needed respite to the insanity that is going on in the world.

From what I hear the Royal Family was notorious for having expensive vacations even among the people. One would think It wouldn't take much for that tower to fall. Point is people in high positions are going to have a lot of enemies. Even in my country where monarchy has been abolished people in high positions have some degree of immunity due to this fact. With that I could reasonably assume that unless there is a swastika on the prince's forehead covered in the blood of Jews the Royal Family will be just fine. If not they are found to be racist then who am I to judge the decision of a nation?

Link to post
On 2/28/2021 at 2:37 PM, Molevalence said:

They are prioritizing french females.

Come to US. Here, if you are a man, but say you feel you are a woman, and anyone argues, they will be called ignorant and hater, and you will get special treatment... But, probably better to come from south border to be let in quickly!

 

I feel so stupid to study English for so many years and get visa.

Link to post
17 hours ago, Kitty said:

...If this is a prelude to basically screwing over everyone who already owns this crap...

 

This is where I suspect that you're mistaken.  Almost every game producer today will make damn sure to have some clause in the fine print (and sometimes not so fine print, and not so hidden) that says in effect: "We know you payed for it, but it's STILL ours.  You own NOTHING, and we can take ANYTHING related to this content at any time, without notice."

Rather along the same vein, look up 'Right to Repair'.  Companies that produce things such as the tractors that farmers use to produce a major portion of our food are no longer allowed to repair "their" tractors.  These are people who, generally speaking, are mechanically inclined, and could, very quickly given the right parts, do the damn fix themselves as they KNOW what the problem is, and they already have the tools.  But no.  Again, you payed good money for it, but IT'S NOT YOURS.  And even if you are okay with this idiotic idea, most of the time there's a backup in the supply chain or simply not enough "trained" technicians... so your tractor, that you probably paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions for, is sitting there quietly rusting while producing zero return on your sizable investment.  All because you're not company trained to work on it, see?

Same goes for cars, too.  Want to work on your car?  Well, you see, you have to buy this computer to plug into your car so that the car's computer can tell you what's wrong with the car.  But the cost of that test computer is artificially inflated to make certain that only the big dealerships can afford it.  Again - NOT your car, you only thought it was.

This stupid, incredibly invasive idea is all over the place.

Link to post

@AKM  LOL  Trust me, I know.

 

I worked as a general contractor most of my adult life.  I'm well acquainted with the idea of Caveat emptor, in many forms - including this ridiculous idea that owning something is really more like, y'know... not owning it.  xD

 

In other news.. took me a while to sort through their BS, but do finally have those games up and running.  Their shenanigans be damned.  ^_^

Oh, and when my mom's tractor (yes, mom owns a tractor.  Mostly now it's for plowing her 1/4 mile driveway, but it dates back to when dad was still with us and they did hay fields for their horses) breaks down in some way, we take a freaking wrench to it.  Then again, it wasn't 'born' here.  Belarus.  Damn good tractors.  hehehe

 

I definitely agree though that whole thing is way out of control.  I sometimes wonder if the Chinese standpoint of "Copywhat?  Tradewho? HahaHAHA  You want to buy a Mickey Mouse hat?" may not have a certain merit.  ;)

 

Link to post
25 minutes ago, AKM said:

This is where I suspect that you're mistaken.  Almost every game producer today will make damn sure to have some clause in the fine print (and sometimes not so fine print, and not so hidden) that says in effect: "We know you payed for it, but it's STILL ours.  You own NOTHING, and we can take ANYTHING related to this content at any time, without notice."

Rather along the same vein, look up 'Right to Repair'.  Companies that produce things such as the tractors that farmers use to produce a major portion of our food are no longer allowed to repair "their" tractors.  These are people who, generally speaking, are mechanically inclined, and could, very quickly given the right parts, do the damn fix themselves as they KNOW what the problem is, and they already have the tools.  But no.  Again, you payed good money for it, but IT'S NOT YOURS.  And even if you are okay with this idiotic idea, most of the time there's a backup in the supply chain or simply not enough "trained" technicians... so your tractor, that you probably paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions for, is sitting there quietly rusting while producing zero return on your sizable investment.  All because you're not company trained to work on it, see?

Same goes for cars, too.  Want to work on your car?  Well, you see, you have to buy this computer to plug into your car so that the car's computer can tell you what's wrong with the car.  But the cost of that test computer is artificially inflated to make certain that only the big dealerships can afford it.  Again - NOT your car, you only thought it was.

This stupid, incredibly invasive idea is all over the place.

Reminds me of that show I like:

That reminds me of how people often say "it's complicated" is such a lazy cover for scummy practices.

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Evil.  Just pure evil. 👹

Kathleen-Kennedy.jpg

kurtzman-alex-image.jpg.webp189510_v9_bc.jpg

 

 

Living (mostly) in a bubble has its advantages.  Know almost nothing about these people.  Well... chick sucks, I know more or less who she is.. second guy I think is one of the "non-trek" people (meaning everything he was involved with regarding the Trek franchise is stuff I toss out the window and ignore -though in fairness, I hear nothing but good things about 'Picard' so far), and I have absolutely no clue who that third guy is.

Link to post
43 minutes ago, Kitty said:

Living (mostly) in a bubble has its advantages.  Know almost nothing about these people.  Well... chick sucks, I know more or less who she is.. second guy I think is one of the "non-trek" people (meaning everything he was involved with regarding the Trek franchise is stuff I toss out the window and ignore -though in fairness, I hear nothing but good things about 'Picard' so far), and I have absolutely no clue who that third guy is.

The guy in the last photo is J.J. Abrams: the one responsible for rebooting the Star Trek movies and helped Alex Kurtzman make Star Trek what it is today, unfortunately.

 

Also, do yourself a favor and avoid 'Picard'.  Just stick with the older TV shows from 2005 and before, and you'll be just fine.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Evil.  Just pure evil. 👹

Kathleen-Kennedy.jpg

kurtzman-alex-image.jpg.webp189510_v9_bc.jpg

 

This trio...killing my childhood, one step at a time.

 

 

 

There's plenty of other great shit out there. Nostalgia is massively overrated.

Link to post
50 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

The guy in the last photo is J.J. Abrams: the one responsible for rebooting the Star Trek movies and helped Alex Kurtzman make Star Trek what it is today, unfortunately.

 

Also, do yourself a favor and avoid 'Picard'.  Just stick with the older TV shows from 2005 and before, and you'll be just fine.

Hah!  Ok, I know the name.  Not a fan.  Just don't think I've ever actually seen the guy before.  :P

 

I may or may not eventually watch Picard.  I can see good and bad in it.  Discovery however will remain non-Trek in my eyes until the day I die.  Way too much weird crap going on there I just can't reconcile.

 

To be quite honest about the movie reboots, I don't *hate* them.  I mean, they're nowhere near on par with the originals IMO, but they had their own charm, and not everything about them completely sucked.  The Spock cameo was of course fantastic.  Some of the casting choices were surprisingly excellent.  The guy who did young McCoy for example really impressed me.  Though I have no idea what they were thinking with the reboot Khan.  Ricardo would bury that guy in like 3 seconds.  xD

 

45 minutes ago, 27X said:

 

 

There's plenty of other great shit out there. Nostalgia is massively overrated.

To some.  To others, it's about all we got left.  lol

 

That's the wonderful thing about the world though.  Plenty of variety, and the ability to live on the cutting edge, or never leave 1950.  To each their own.  ;)

 

40 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I heard Babylon 5 is a classic.  I just never took the time to watch it.

It took me years.  I finally watched it maybe 3 or 4 years ago.  It's.... hmm.  I think I left it too long and let people hype it to me too much, so I expected more, and often, it has this... I dunno, feeling as if it was made in some guys' garage.  Though I've heard all the CGI (what it was back then) was done on Amiga 2000s with a Video Toaster.  Now granted, they had a whole room full of them, but I had friends at the time who had the same (or slightly more modern) equipment as their home gaming/media rigs, so it used to make me laugh.  :) 

 

That said, it is a pretty decent show overall.  There's a lot of people from TOS and TNG who pop up.  One of the show's main characters played a minor, recurring Romulan Commander in TNG -though in his B5 makeup, only his voice will give him away, but he's fantastic.  Walter Koenig does a middling role.  Not major, not minor, and he's good.  Majel Barrett popped in.. quite a few other minor cameos.

 

Anyway, I'd say it's worth a watch.  Probably won't re-define your world or anything, but it's not crap either.  At least, I don't think so.  I'd say try to keep expectations either way to a minimum and just see what you think as it unfolds.

Link to post
On 3/4/2021 at 10:58 PM, landess said:

real life doesn't have an Ignore Feature as effective as those in the digital world

Loud machinery works pretty darn well- I've worked in machine shops and factories where you basically need to go into another room somewhere to have any convo. Maybe the next "accidental" virus pandemic will cause us all to need to wear ear plugs? Or anal plugs? There's always this too....

 

image.jpeg.6cd83f530a6e139c428a70accadd52a6.jpeg

Link to post
27 minutes ago, saltshade said:

When someone opens a thread called "What really pisses you off?". That really triggers me.

I had a similar feeling. Wouldn't therapy or similar experiences work better? Maybe since it is considered a social circle it functions as stress relief. Just my guess though.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

I had a similar feeling. Wouldn't therapy or similar experiences work better? Maybe since it is considered a social circle it functions as stress relief. Just my guess though.

Sometimes people need to vent, and sometimes therapists are completely apathetic douchebags who only want prolonged appointments to line their pockets by recommending dumb shit that doesn't solve anything so there's that too. But i'll say this, usually threads like this just devolve into... A special type of venting if you catch my meaning. You know, that type.

 

Not pointin me fingahs or anythin govnah. Just havin meself sum fockin tea in de middle ov da nigh is all.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...