What really pisses you off? please no posts about nexus lol

8 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Evil.  Just pure evil. ?

Kathleen-Kennedy.jpg

kurtzman-alex-image.jpg.webp189510_v9_bc.jpg

Living (mostly) in a bubble has its advantages.  Know almost nothing about these people.  Well... chick sucks, I know more or less who she is.. second guy I think is one of the "non-trek" people (meaning everything he was involved with regarding the Trek franchise is stuff I toss out the window and ignore -though in fairness, I hear nothing but good things about 'Picard' so far), and I have absolutely no clue who that third guy is.

50 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

The guy in the last photo is J.J. Abrams: the one responsible for rebooting the Star Trek movies and helped Alex Kurtzman make Star Trek what it is today, unfortunately.

Also, do yourself a favor and avoid 'Picard'.  Just stick with the older TV shows from 2005 and before, and you'll be just fine.

Hah!  Ok, I know the name.  Not a fan.  Just don't think I've ever actually seen the guy before.  :P

I may or may not eventually watch Picard.  I can see good and bad in it.  Discovery however will remain non-Trek in my eyes until the day I die.  Way too much weird crap going on there I just can't reconcile.

To be quite honest about the movie reboots, I don't *hate* them.  I mean, they're nowhere near on par with the originals IMO, but they had their own charm, and not everything about them completely sucked.  The Spock cameo was of course fantastic.  Some of the casting choices were surprisingly excellent.  The guy who did young McCoy for example really impressed me.  Though I have no idea what they were thinking with the reboot Khan.  Ricardo would bury that guy in like 3 seconds.  xD

45 minutes ago, 27X said:

There's plenty of other great shit out there. Nostalgia is massively overrated.

To some.  To others, it's about all we got left.  lol

That's the wonderful thing about the world though.  Plenty of variety, and the ability to live on the cutting edge, or never leave 1950.  To each their own.  ;)

40 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I heard Babylon 5 is a classic.  I just never took the time to watch it.

It took me years.  I finally watched it maybe 3 or 4 years ago.  It's.... hmm.  I think I left it too long and let people hype it to me too much, so I expected more, and often, it has this... I dunno, feeling as if it was made in some guys' garage.  Though I've heard all the CGI (what it was back then) was done on Amiga 2000s with a Video Toaster.  Now granted, they had a whole room full of them, but I had friends at the time who had the same (or slightly more modern) equipment as their home gaming/media rigs, so it used to make me laugh.  :) 

That said, it is a pretty decent show overall.  There's a lot of people from TOS and TNG who pop up.  One of the show's main characters played a minor, recurring Romulan Commander in TNG -though in his B5 makeup, only his voice will give him away, but he's fantastic.  Walter Koenig does a middling role.  Not major, not minor, and he's good.  Majel Barrett popped in.. quite a few other minor cameos.

Anyway, I'd say it's worth a watch.  Probably won't re-define your world or anything, but it's not crap either.  At least, I don't think so.  I'd say try to keep expectations either way to a minimum and just see what you think as it unfolds.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:58 PM, landess said:

real life doesn't have an Ignore Feature as effective as those in the digital world

Loud machinery works pretty darn well- I've worked in machine shops and factories where you basically need to go into another room somewhere to have any convo. Maybe the next "accidental" virus pandemic will cause us all to need to wear ear plugs? Or anal plugs? There's always this too....

image.jpeg.6cd83f530a6e139c428a70accadd52a6.jpeg

27 minutes ago, saltshade said:

When someone opens a thread called "What really pisses you off?". That really triggers me.

I had a similar feeling. Wouldn't therapy or similar experiences work better? Maybe since it is considered a social circle it functions as stress relief. Just my guess though.

4 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

I had a similar feeling. Wouldn't therapy or similar experiences work better? Maybe since it is considered a social circle it functions as stress relief. Just my guess though.

Sometimes people need to vent, and sometimes therapists are completely apathetic douchebags who only want prolonged appointments to line their pockets by recommending dumb shit that doesn't solve anything so there's that too. But i'll say this, usually threads like this just devolve into... A special type of venting if you catch my meaning. You know, that type.

Not pointin me fingahs or anythin govnah. Just havin meself sum fockin tea in de middle ov da nigh is all.

6 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I heard Babylon 5 is a classic.  I just never took the time to watch it.

Babylon 5 is one of the best scfi series ever made, and farscape is pretty ace. Both get considerably better after the first 6 episodes.

4 hours ago, Mr. Otaku said:

Sometimes people need to vent, and sometimes therapists are completely apathetic douchebags who only want prolonged appointments to line their pockets by recommending dumb shit that doesn't solve anything so there's that too. But i'll say this, usually threads like this just devolve into... A special type of venting if you catch my meaning. You know, that type.

Not pointin me fingahs or anythin govnah. Just havin meself sum fockin tea in de middle ov da nigh is all.

and the opposite is true; shit ton of people go to therapy not to get guidance or recover but to have their neuroses and bullshit justified. They have no interest in growing or meeting life head on.

11 minutes ago, 27X said:

and the opposite is true; shit ton of people go to therapy not get guidance or recover but to have their neuroses and bullshit justified. They have no interest in growing or meeting life head on.

Yep there's that too, and a repetition of that can be lucrative for a therapist. Kinda the case with venting for the sake of venting, where non-issues become existential struggles. There is no goal, just cyclical back patting, posturing and gerrymandering.

8 hours ago, Kitty said:

I think I left it too long and let people hype it to me too much, so I expected more

My own experience: If I never saw something from my past, there's a 'chance' I may enjoy it. If I knew about it and never checked it out, or took a look and passed on it - there was a reason. Going back now to experience something I chose to ignore usually doesn't yield gratification, and ends up reaffirming why I passed in the first place. Also, time isn't as kind as we wish.

That said, I still find enjoyment when watching or listening to something I did enjoy back in the day. Is that nostalgia, or just a matter of choice? - I liked it then, and I still like it today....

https://ok.ru/video/276177553990   < The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao

Spoiler

Waiting on Hollywood to butcher this as well......

11 hours ago, AKM said:

You own NOTHING

Start with that laptop. Did you want that update that added all the stuff to the laptop you only game on and will never use? Did you want Microsoft to rearrange the way you search for things on "your" laptop? Well... You bought the hardware, but they own the software.

20 hours ago, Kitty said:

Oh, and when my mom's tractor (yes, mom owns a tractor.

Got an International Harvester Super M and C in the machine shed.  At least until the machine shed gets destroyed, which is out of this side of the family's control now that the matriarch is dead.  Dad owns the C outright, and probably could have a good stake in the Super M if he put his foot down on time-in-service.  Except where would it be stored once those now in control of the land sell the land and raze the old farmhouse, barn and machine shed?  Never mind that the house, at least, is perfectly livable, and IS being lived in and taken care of - the land's just too valuable, and all these people see is dollar signs.  They have zero connection to the family history of the land. 

Oh well.  I suspect that when the machine shed goes, so go the tractors.  The 1956 Ford truck's already gone.  Sigh.

It's a common sick joke around here: They (the developers) won't be happy until they pave over the whole damn county!

9 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

Start with that laptop. Did you want that update that added all the stuff to the laptop you only game on and will never use? Did you want Microsoft to rearrange the way you search for things on "your" laptop? Well... You bought the hardware, but they own the software.

Exactly.  I left a rant here somewhere about PC setup and how Microsoft makes it damn near impossible anymore sometime back.   Now, no thanks to stubborn family who bricked that computer, I get to do it again.  And I'm having the same level of non-success in doing so.

20 hours ago, Kitty said:

Then again, it wasn't 'born' here.  Belarus.  Damn good tractors.  hehehe

Whoa, you have a MAZ tractor?

13 hours ago, 27X said:

Babylon 5 is one of the best scfi series ever made, and farscape is pretty ace. Both get considerably better after the first 6 episodes.

Hmm, I guess I am alone in thinking "The Expanse" is a pretty good series?

10 hours ago, landess said:

That said, I still find enjoyment when watching or listening to something I did enjoy back in the day. Is that nostalgia, or just a matter of choice? - I liked it then, and I still like it today....

Reveal hidden contents

Waiting on Hollywood to butcher this as well......

Now that trailer is a gem for modern day!   Why isn't it still on the air????

20 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Reminds me of that show I like:

That reminds me of how people often say "it's complicated" is such a lazy cover for scummy practices.

There's a good one that I've seen some potential implications of: The Android's AI becoming self aware, and then we have the Terminator movies in real life.  This isn't at all a far fetched idea, and with the acceleration of computing power and AI abilities, it's really only a matter of time before we as a species, the human species, turn over our "power" first to the companies that make the machines, and then, ultimately, to the machines themselves.

1 minute ago, steelpanther24 said:

The expanse is great and will thankfully end before going full wokejoke like the book series did.

7 hours ago, AKM said:

Got an International Harvester Super M and C in the machine shed.  At least until the machine shed gets destroyed, which is out of this side of the family's control now that the matriarch is dead.  Dad owns the C outright, and probably could have a good stake in the Super M if he put his foot down on time-in-service.  Except where would it be stored once those now in control of the land sell the land and raze the old farmhouse, barn and machine shed?  Never mind that the house, at least, is perfectly livable, and IS being lived in and taken care of - the land's just too valuable, and all these people see is dollar signs.  They have zero connection to the family history of the land. 

Oh well.  I suspect that when the machine shed goes, so go the tractors.  The 1956 Ford truck's already gone.  Sigh.

It's a common sick joke around here: They (the developers) won't be happy until they pave over the whole damn county!

Ugh.  Yeah, that sucks.  =/

Fortunately, we're still fairly rural.  I mean, not like it once was.  Everything encroaches bit by bit, but my house is off on the edge of a smallish town, backed by a huge corn field that's part of some feed company that does contracts for like all the milk farms around, and due to the lakes and other geographical features it's highly unlikely anything will change significantly in my lifetime.  Even if the whole town itself does, my little 'hood' would likely be untouched.

Mom's even better that way.  She's got 20 acres (bought & paid for, aside of course from yearly property tax) on a county highway which is like.. I think about 8 miles from the 'town limits' where all the 'neighbors' are smallish family farms, but no one's even especially interested, so barring some really bizarre imminent domain situation which I can't imagine, again.. I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

Still, neither of us has to go very far to see the same sort of situation where what was farms and fields even just a year ago is another strip mall, Panera, Starbucks, parking lot... meh.  :P

7 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

No..  This is almost definitely not the exact year/make, but it's a pretty decent visual match. 

Spoiler

20171112_1211401-1024x743.jpg

As for The Expanse...

Don't love it, but like it a lot more than I dislike it.

It could be said in many ways it's like Anti-Trek.  Sort of.   Like, Trek is based mainly on the premise "someday, humanity gets its shit together and we learn to sort out our issues and work together to go off and see 'what's out there'..."  <cue inspiring music>..

Expanse is sorta more, "Yeah, humans are stupid.  In the future, they probably become MORE stupid.  Let's see how they deal with THIS..."  xD

But yeah, it's a pretty good show.  Haven't started the newest season yet, I like to binge and not wait episode by episode, but I'll get to it.

13 hours ago, Kitty said:

Ugh.  Yeah, that sucks.  =/

Fortunately, we're still fairly rural.  I mean, not like it once was.  Everything encroaches bit by bit, but my house is off on the edge of a smallish town, backed by a huge corn field that's part of some feed company that does contracts for like all the milk farms around, and due to the lakes and other geographical features it's highly unlikely anything will change significantly in my lifetime.  Even if the whole town itself does, my little 'hood' would likely be untouched.

Mom's even better that way.  She's got 20 acres (bought & paid for, aside of course from yearly property tax) on a county highway which is like.. I think about 8 miles from the 'town limits' where all the 'neighbors' are smallish family farms, but no one's even especially interested, so barring some really bizarre imminent domain situation which I can't imagine, again.. I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

Still, neither of us has to go very far to see the same sort of situation where what was farms and fields even just a year ago is another strip mall, Panera, Starbucks, parking lot... meh.  :P

That is precisely what went on here not six months ago.  Right at the main road to the farm (which got sold off lot by lot and is now a housing development), we used to have fields on all four corners.  Then, the local trash developer, who gets rich "building" crap houses, bought all the farmland.  The opposite corner's already got houses popping up like weeds, and the near side was flooded with low income housing.  We call them "row houses" here.  Basically one long building with partitions to make people think they have their own place.  Never been a fan of them - and they don't match the rest of the county's building style at all.

Goes right along with the Big City lawmakers' decision to force the rest of the state to build to Big City code for any new intersections, as well as the sidewalks in small towns.  Every little town, including the one I work in, had to dig up their small town sidewalks and put in Big City sidewalks, and cross walks, and, and, and.  They are absolutely determined to destroy this place.  Not that they haven't already.  I've watched it creep in for quite a number of years, little of it good.

Just every time I get a fucking quest in a game where the asshole is like "You look capable" or "Please, no one else will!".  Bitch, I'm tired, beat up, wounded, out of gas/water/food/ammo/patience- but let's forget about my fucking problems and focus on your shit since I'm just stupid like that. Can't remember the last time I heard a MoFo say "Got no problems. How can I help you?".