The R.I.P. Thread- Saying Goodbye to Whatever

40 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

From a former sailor "Fair winds and following seas, Mr. Lightfoot".

“I shall go the way of the open sea, To the Lands before you came, And the cool ocean breezes shall blow from me, The memory of your name.”

Out of kudos my friend. :classic_smile:

Edited by KoolHndLuke
  • 3 weeks later...

Russ Nicholson Career

Nicholson has contributed to many notable game-related titles, such as The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, the first in the illustrated series of Fighting Fantasy game books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone;[1] further illustrating 16 more in the series. He also illustrated many creatures in the original UK contribution to the first edition of the Fiend Folio Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game book,[1] the six original published "episodes" of 'The Fabled Lands' created by Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson, and numerous Games Workshop products, including Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay,[1] Warhammer 40,000 and in their magazine White Dwarf.[2]

For over forty years Russ has produced work for a wide range of companies and publishers, including Puffin, Pan, Collins, Hodder and Stoughton, TSR,[3] Games Workshop, Hoggshead Publishing, DC Thomson, Le Grimoire and Scriptarium [fr]. His work has been reproduced in over twenty countries. He also spent many years as college art lecturer. In addition, he drew the album cover (False Weavers) for Santa Cruz anarcho-folk punk band, Blackbird Raum.

1 hour ago, landess said:

Without me looking - did he work on those old Creepy and Eerie magazines in the 60's/70's?

Russ Nicholson's Career

Nicholson has contributed to many notable game-related titles, such as The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, the first in the illustrated series of Fighting Fantasy game books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone;[1] further illustrating 16 more in the series. He also illustrated many creatures in the original UK contribution to the first edition of the Fiend Folio Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game book,[1] the six original published "episodes" of 'The Fabled Lands' created by Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson, and numerous Games Workshop products, including Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay,[1] Warhammer 40,000 and in their magazine White Dwarf.[2]

For over forty years Russ has produced work for a wide range of companies and publishers, including Puffin, Pan, Collins, Hodder and Stoughton, TSR,[3] Games Workshop, Hoggshead Publishing, DC Thomson, Le Grimoire and Scriptarium [fr]. His work has been reproduced in over twenty countries. He also spent many years as college art lecturer. In addition, he drew the album cover (False Weavers) for Santa Cruz anarcho-folk punk band, Blackbird Raum.

550px-THE_READER_copy.jpg

Edited by Sir Bron
12 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

Russ Nicholson passed 17th May 2023

If you are of a certain age you knew the art style.

https://russnicholson.blogspot.com

Whoa...did he do some the monster images in "The Fiend Folio" for TSR back the day??   He had that style. 

OK  the posts after this one answered my question.   Jeesh, for us old time gamers, I would say we all have seen his work.    It is hard to realize that so many Heavy Metal and TSR artists are going to start leaving us.    Time waits for no one.

Edited by steelpanther24
5 hours ago, Sir Bron said:

Russ Nicholson's Career

550px-THE_READER_copy.jpg

That looks very much like the Githyanki from the Fiend Folio! 

57 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

That looks very much like the Githyanki from the Fiend Folio! 

Probably because he was the artist who portrayed them in their Dragon introduction article.

RIP Ray Stevenson. 5/25/2064 - 5/21/2023. He died at the age of 58. He played as Titus Pullo in the HBO Rome series, and voiced Gar Saxon in Star Wars Rebels and Clone Wars. His final TV role is Baylan Skoll in the upcoming Ahsoka series. He will be greatly missed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ray-stevenson-dead-thor-ahsoka-rrr-1235497816/

ray-stevenson.png

Edited by Galactic Emperor Batman
7 hours ago, CPU said:

Tina Turner passed away at the age of 83.

Sad The Office GIF

> She was one of few female singers i had the highest respect for and this song is the one I put as my permanent ringtone on my smartphone for my Prince. This song will always be her best song for me.