The R.I.P. Thread- Saying Goodbye to Whatever

5 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

Thanks. Now I've got this song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Soldier in Auschwitz, who knows his name?

Yeah. Their stuff has that kind of ring to it. For me, because the lead singer, Joakim Broden, has that deep, gritty voice with his thick Swedish accent, I have to listen closer to understand what he's saying, which makes it more likely for the song to get stuck in my head.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, Doctor Cadaver said:

Regardless, there's no stopping it.

What if there was? How different would life be I wonder if we could live for hundreds or thousands of years?

I have a feeling future generations just might find out... ?

2 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I believe civilization would advance more rapidly, given how much more time people would have to better themselves.  A shame we won't be around long enough to witness it.

Conversely, culture and technology may instead stagnate without death hastening humans to achieve what they will in the limited time given to them. Humans may become the animal equivalent of trees if they lived as long as they do and similarly had as little importance for the individual unit as a plant or rather a root system has.

49 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Conversely, culture and technology may instead stagnate without death hastening humans to achieve what they will in the limited time given to them. Humans may become the animal equivalent of trees if they lived as long as they do and similarly had as little importance for the individual unit as a plant or rather a root system has.

I don't know if it is either bad or pathetic that I have used computer games to help define some of my beliefs, but I sort of agree with you in that:

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

I suppose that's another possibility.  Worst case scenario: due to over-population with humans having a greater longevity; the planet dies off that much sooner with its resources being consumed at a more rapid pace.

The planet can not 'die' due to some species' overconsumption, at best it will not be able to support certain forms of life for a time. After a die-off event resulting from the exhaustion of resources, the raw materials making up the bodies of the dead creatures will be liberated, allowing it to nourish the soil for new plant life to continue the chain of energy transference once again. A temporary imbalance is followed by an overcorrection then balance is restored.

Sort of. Mostly.

There will be corrections BUT

1. Wobbly Orbit.

The earth meandering around in its own orbit mean things will shift continually but not exactly in a "harmonic" fashion. There's always going to be weather based violence on earth simply because of the way it moves, and it's not really going to be fair about it

2. Good Night Moon

When the moon leaves, earth is basically fucked because see 1.

45 minutes ago, 27X said:

When the moon leaves, earth is basically fucked because see 1.

I saw that trick once. Or was it the statue of liberty? I can never get that right. :D

whichever it was, RIP.

Edited by KoolHndLuke
8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

The proverbial Stick and Carrot, humans need some motivation to achieve or they would never have reached the Moon. Of course now that they have filled the orbit with all that trash......

Edited by Sir Bron
2 hours ago, Sir Walter Ratleigh said:

Rest In Peace to my younger brother who passed away today from cancer. Forever in our hearts.

? Condolences

6 hours ago, Sir Walter Ratleigh said:

Rest In Peace to my younger brother who passed away today from cancer. Forever in our hearts.

Condolences to you and your family.

8 hours ago, Sir Walter Ratleigh said:

So sorry for you. I don't get along with my brothers, but I do care about them and hope they're doing well.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:51 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

What if there was? How different would life be I wonder if we could live for hundreds or thousands of years?

They'd need to do something about the loss of mental plasticity in the human brain. Humans learn fast when young, but it slows dowm as they age. You run the risk of having the planet run by a cabal of ultra-rich, ultra-conservative multi-centenarians whose views on how a society haven't changed since they were thirty.  I mean you might think things are like that now, but at least the sods keep dying off and getting placed with versions of themselves with slightly update antiquated views. Gove 'em immorality and nothing ever changes again.

Fix that problem, and you still face the problem that biological memory is almost certainly finite. What happens when your brain fills up and there's no room for new data?

I used to think living for 200 years might be a good thing, but as I get older, it starts to seem more and more like hard work.

John Romita Sr January 24, 1930 - June 12, 2023.

John Romita Sr was an American comic book artist best known for his work on Marvel Comics' The Amazing Spider-Man and for co-creating characters including Mary Jane Watson, the Punisher, Wolverine, and Luke Cage. He was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2002.

3263653_royc64_john-romita-rip.jpg

• 2 weeks later...