What really pisses you off? please no posts about nexus lol

22 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Just as a bit of a follow up to my original post on this.

The ethnonym Germani is most likely Gallic in origin. 

Actually, it's Latinized German, the masc. plural form -i of the Latin singular -us. The original meaning refers to mounted 'spear man', the one who used the Ger, a short spear or lance and a framen / round shield for battle. In fact the mounted Germanic auxiliary in the Republican legion was armed that way and in the Imperial Age it even formed an own legion, the Legio X Equestris, the Tenth Mounted. That infamous elite legion was the personified terror in Judea and across the province of Syria almost throughout the first century - the demon in the Gospels whose name is legion cos they are many, up to 6,000 to be more precise.

Have a good one!

42 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

Actually, it's Latinized German,

There was no such thing as a 'German' language during Roman times - hence Gallic.

53 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

Actually, it's Latinized German, the masc. plural form -i of the Latin singular -us.

And you are fluent in Latin?

53 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

The original meaning refers to mounted 'spear man', the one who used the Ger, a short spear or lance and a framen / round shield for battle.

Do you have a source for this?

The pre-migration term reported by Tacitus is framea, who identifies it as "hasta"; The native term for "javelin, spear" was Old High German gêr, Old English gâr, Old Norse geirr, apparently from proto-Germanic *gaizaz. The names Genseric, Radagaisus indicate Gothic gaisu besides gairu.

Latin gaesum, gaesus, Greek γαῖσον was the term for the lance of the Gauls. The Avestan language has gaêçu "lance bearer" as a likely cognate. The Celtic word is found e.g. in the name of the Gaesatae. Old Irish has gae "spear". Proto-Germanic *gaizaz would derive from proto-Indo-European language *ghaisos, although loan from Celtic has also been considered, in which case the PIE form would be *gaisos. The Indogermanisches etymologisches Wörterbuch has *g'haisos (with a palatal velar aspirate), discounting the Avestan form in favour of (tentatively) comparing Sanskrit hḗṣas- "projectile".

The form gaois is read in an early Runic inscriptions on the so-called Mos spearhead, dated to the 3rd century, found in Stenkyrka, Gotland.[1]

The etymon of English spear, from Germanic *speri (Old English spere, Old Frisian sper, Old High German sper, Old Norse spjör),[2] in origin also denoted a throwing spear or lance (hasta).

Ger

The word kêr or gêr is attested since the 8th century (Lay of Hildebrand 37, Heliand 3089). Gar and cognates is a frequent element in Germanic names, both male and female. Garseand survived in Southern France as garçon to designate either all male youth, or a spear bearing arm.

The term survives into New High German as Ger or Gehr (Grimm 1854) with a generalized meaning of "gusset" besides "spear". In contemporary German, the word is used exclusively in antiquated or poetic context, and a feminine Gehre is used in the sense of "gusset".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period_spear

Definition of framea

: a spear with a long shaft and iron head used by the ancient Teutons
1 hour ago, Jazzman said:

In fact the mounted Germanic auxiliary in the Republican legion was armed that way and in the Imperial Age it even formed an own legion, the Legio X Equestris, the Tenth Mounted. That infamous elite legion was the personified terror in Judea and across the province of Syria almost throughout the first century - the demon in the Gospels whose name is legion cos they are many, up to 6,000 to be more precise.

Where do you get this nonsense from?

Legio X Equestris (Latin: Tenth Legion "Mounted"), a Roman legion, was levied by Julius Caesar in 61 BC when he was the Governor of Hispania Ulterior. The Tenth was the first legion levied personally by Caesar and was consistently his most trusted. The name Equestris was applied after Caesar mounted legionaries from the Tenth on horses as a ruse in a parley with the German King Ariovistus in 58 BC[dubious discuss] because he did not trust his Gallic cavalry auxiliaries from the Aedui tribe. Legio X was famous in its day[1] and throughout history, because of its portrayal in Caesar's Commentaries and the prominent role the Tenth played in his Gallic campaigns.[2] Its soldiers were discharged in 45 BC. Its remnants were reconstituted, fought for Mark Antony and Octavian, disbanded, and later merged into X Gemina.[3]

At the beginning of the Gallic campaign, Caesar brought the 10th legion from Spain (with the 7th, 8th, and 9th legions). Almost immediately, in the summer of 58 BC, the legion fought in two major actions, the battles of Arar and Bibracte. They played a central part in Caesar's defeat of the Helvetii tribes, preventing their migration from present day Switzerland to western France.

Following the defeat of the Helvetii, the leaders of the Gallic tribes petitioned Caesar for his aid against Ariovistus, king of the German Suebi tribe. Prior to battle, Ariovistus suggested a peace conference but insisted that each side should only be accompanied by mounted troops. Ariovistus made this a condition knowing that Caesar's cavalry was composed mainly of Aedian horsemen whose loyalty to Caesar was questionable. Caesar ordered a group of his Gallic auxiliaries to dismount and had legionaries from the 10th ride in their place to accompany him to the peace conference. This incident earned the legion its nickname Equestris (mounted). One of the legionaries jokingly said that Caesar was better than his word: he had promised to make them foot guards, but now they appeared as equestrians.[6]

End of the legion

In 45 BC the legion was disbanded, and the veterans obtained lands in Narbonne, southern Gaul.

During the civil war that followed Caesar's assassination, the Legio X was reconstituted by Lepidus (winter 44/43), and fought for the triumvirs until the final Battle of Philippi. The veterans obtained lands near Cremona, and an inscription reports that the name of the legion at the time was Veneria, "devoted to Venus", the mythical mother of gens Julia.[8]

The Tenth later followed Mark Antony in Armenia, during his Parthian campaign. During Antony's civil war, the legion fought for Mark Antony until the defeat in the Battle of Actium, after which the legion moved into Octavian's army. The veterans settled in Patras. When the legion rebelled under Augustus, it was disbanded,[9] stripped of its Equestris title, and, being populated with soldiers from other legions, renamed X Gemina.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_X_Equestris

12 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

The way people are overreacting to COVID-19 is starting to really piss me off.  It's everything from dumb asses buying up toilet paper and bottled water, to the Leftist Twitterati and the media squawking about 'the end is nigh'.

Spoiler

pidgeon2.jpg

Heheheheheheheheheheheh..

Edit: Oh shit Unfortuantely? xD

11 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Actually, it's Latinized German, the masc. plural form -i of the Latin singular -us. The original meaning refers to mounted 'spear man', the one who used the Ger, a short spear or lance and a framen / round shield for battle. In fact the mounted Germanic auxiliary in the Republican legion was armed that way and in the Imperial Age it even formed an own legion, the Legio X Equestris, the Tenth Mounted. That infamous elite legion was the personified terror in Judea and across the province of Syria almost throughout the first century - the demon in the Gospels whose name is legion cos they are many, up to 6,000 to be more precise.

Have a good one!

Hmm, sounds like you need a lesson.

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOfQfxmTLQ

This doesn't piss me off so much as it makes me roll my eyes and laugh inside: thots spouting off about being worshiped and the guys (simps) who do just that. Ever notice how these women are all young (early- to mid-twenties) and there's no chance in hell they've had time to learn about themselves? Same goes for the guys! It reminds me of an article in the Feb. 2020 issue of Psychology Today how being "too woke" in the bedroom is killing people's sex lives.

Put simply, the stereotypes of male aggressiveness in the bedroom is based on very real human instinct. Aside from a few people with serious femdom fetishes, humans are hardwired for male dominance and female receptivity in sex. The number of social justice wankers in therapy for sexual dysfunction is huge, with the common complaint by women that "he doesn't satisfy me." I can see the whole thing imploding when the simp's realize they're just pay pigs and the women they worship are cheating on them with almost religious regularity because that's the only way they feel sexually fulfilled.

The epidemic of sexual dissatisfaction among SJWs also explains why they're so obsessed with the sexual proclivities of fictional characters: they're trying to live vicariously through them. And when they publish articles about Sonic and Tails having a relationship together...well, that's the kind of fantasy you don't share publicly. At least not in the West.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:55 AM, 27X said:

Nah, you're just seeing people whom never suffered actual hardship or wont literally make up reasons to "struggle is real". If you don't live in America or Britain or Australia, you'll find the instances of this go way way down.

There's a bit more to life than material wealth and physical well-being. Every other species goes batshit insane if you don't account for their specific needs, I don't see why the same shouldn't apply to humans as well. A dolphin for example can have the cleanest water, the tastiest fish and good care 24/7 but it'll still go mad if it's isolated or kept in tiny tanks etc.

The mouse utopia experiment also showcases this very well in my opinion.

Well, the girl power government finally noticed there's a pandemic going on and ordered some mild restrictions.

As expected, the people have declared a state of panic and bought out all the toilet paper ?

ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON HOPE!

(Nothing personal, Hope, but now it's women, children, and fat middle aged guys first!)

Well that's just stupid?

Anyway!

I'm pissed that they canceled the Formula 1 over this damn virus. Everyone was already at the venue when you cancelled the race, FIA!
Meaning everyone was already exposed!

Get off the bandwagon and focus on the racing! Idiots!

This bullshit coronavirus shit. 

Cant go to the gym, library is closed, cant fix my bike because guy had to close his shop etc... all because some chinese retard ate a fucking bat and other retards in charge of their country refused to admit the problem... 

Can someone nuke China already? Or do we need even more global epidemics starting in their country?? ( thats a joke - inb4 some pearlclutcher gets butthurt ).

14 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Speaking of the c-virus, I fully expect the Beijing Olympics to be canceled if there isn't a vaccine created before then. You just know President Winnie the Pooh of China is going to be shitting bricks if that happens. I wonder what sort of temper tantrum he'll throw?

Is that why he recently visited Wuhan?

View image on Twitter

5 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

You are not alone, people who work in the service industry are getting hit hard. If there isn't any relief soon, people will get desperate. When desperation sets in, the virus itself will be the least of people's problems. 

Reveal hidden contents

A more sensible news story:

Reveal hidden contents

At the risk of sounding political:

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/03/13/house-to-vote-on-coronavirus-stimulus-package/

Contact your Representative or Senator. You literally only have a few hours (if that much) for this bill.

2 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

The hotel I work at is a ghost town, thanks to this goddamn Coronavirus.  Work hours got cut from reservation cancellations, too.  I'm already barely scraping by, as it is.  What a fucking shitstorm.  Something needs to be done, FAST.

Doing IT work for higher ed and they've already told the students that spring break is starting early and to not come back to campus afterwards. All classes will be done through the online portal, which means that anyone without internet access at home is up the proverbial creek. 

34 minutes ago, TheOzoneHole said:

Doing IT work for higher ed and they've already told the students that spring break is starting early and to not come back to campus afterwards. All classes will be done through the online portal, which means that anyone without internet access at home is up the proverbial creek. 

Went to the largest local grocer today after the governor declared a state of emergency after getting >one< confirmed case. In the entire state. People were parked across the street 6 vehicles deep because the main parking lot was completely full. Go in and there is no meat, no toilet anything, no baby food, no bottled water, no flu/cold medicine and no hand sanitizer. This store is the size of a super walmart with automotive section and plant section except without those. Completely cleaned out. People have two shopping carts full of crap that they literally have no room in their kitchen, much less refrigerator for, and you can hear from their conversations they literally think hiding out in their house for two weeks while Mike Pence electrocutes people is going to defeat the virus.

Fight breaks out in the parking lot (complete with illegally possessed gun) over baby wipes.

Amazing.

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Amazing.

Do you think we are any smarter than those poor souls who were trying to escape Pompeii when the volcano blew up?   My point is that average intelligence has remained the same since we started walking upright.   It is just that a few smart people can build off of what other smart people did (stand on the shoulders of giants) that we have this level of world.   However, every generation thinks that we are so much more civilized than the last and  if only those old people would quit telling us "you are going to regret doing <insert what ever you think is good here>".   

Anyway, the loss of an additional 3-5% (in addition to everything else that kills us) will cause a longer than expected recovery, so there is some reason for SOME of the population to worry.  

45 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

Right now, what pisses me off is how many people are saying they blame the severity of COVID-19 on their government's actions. Italians say they blame the ferocity of the epidemic on the PM, the UK blame the response of Boris Johnson. The US blames the response because of the POTUS. Honestly, if this is the case, then ALL governments in all western countries have failed. Spain is one of the latest that just declared an emergency today, do they have a failed government too? Apparently so. Some in the US even go as far as to blame the tanking stock market on the POTUS, when it is a global market. It is a reflection of what is happening across the damned world not just your little corner of it. We should be trying to help each other out in this situation, but I just heard that Italy has been asking for help from the EU since they started seeing cases, and it is nothing but dead air coming from them. Now, you have one nation after another closing their borders. The whole idea that "it only affects them" is an asinine approach to a disease that doesn't respect nationality. 

This does sort of tie into what 27X experienced as well as steelpanther's response.

Rant over. 

A lot of it is just political opportunism. Crises do tend to present great opportunities for those who are well prepared and lack any sense of ethics.

When everything is said and done, their opponents will be weakened and they can make empty promises about how they would never allow a similar catastrophe from befalling their nation on their watch, allowing them to soak up maximum votes for minimal effort.