Site Update: Things have changed, but nothing is final.

6 minutes ago, Gukahn said:

I didn't knew that this function was always there since i just recently got active in the forums and i seem to have misunderstood the previews posts i had read. I thought the argument was about getting rid of this feature as well, sorry  i may have been confused about something. My english can sometimes be a little rusty ^^

Listen, you were not my target audience and I hope I didn't offend. I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was belittling you because that was the furthest thing from my mind. I was, instead, trying to remind Ashal that we have always had a means of achieving that which you, very correctly, indicated was a good thing. That is, letting readers know which posts appear to have the correct answer and NOT making the thread inordinately long by two and three word posts. So, if I've offended, I apologize.

I actually find the option to mark answers as a solution useful and meaningful.
First and foremost, it is interesting for people who have similar or identical questions.
On the other hand - in connection with a tagging system - there would be the possibility of generating a kind of knowledgebase / FAQ over time.
The Like button is different in my opinion - and should continue to exist.
I'm not surprised that people haven't used it so far.
I am more surprised that it has already been seen and used at all.

Such phases usually last several months - nobody changes their habits overnight. ;)
And since it doesn't hurt anyone to keep it, it would be good to keep it for now.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:26 AM, Andy14 said:

The Like button is different in my opinion - and should continue to exist.

I find the 'like' button is also useful to acknowledge a post without having to make a reply post for no other reason than to agree with or other wise interact in a completely social way which bloats posts over time.

2 minutes ago, landess said:

I find the 'like' button is also useful to acknowledge a post without having to make a reply post for no other reason than to agree with or other wise interact in a completely social way which bloats posts over time.

Exactly, the button is used very versatile. And often it's just discussions or just jokes that you can like with the button. It should definitely stay because it is very useful and allows anyone to give their consent without typing. On the other hand, a dislike button would sometimes be very desirable ...

13 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

dislike button would sometimes be very desirable

Given the addiction of newer generations to social media, just not having any likes can be somewhat tragic - adding a dislike button would just feed the trolls and might push some snowflakes to suicide.

Just now, landess said:

Given the addiction of newer generations to social media, just not having any likes can be somewhat tragic - adding a dislike button would just feed the trolls and might push some snowflakes to suicide.

That's true. I'm not worried about snowflakes. And as for trolls - who says you can give a dislike without a reason?
It's the reverse of Amazon's principle. I've NEVER liked a movie there because I don't feel like explaining why.

But basically you are right.

I get it.  I accept we live in a world now where telling someone "I dislike this" somehow crushes their entire self worth and it's such a horrible thing to do, and OMG! How DARE you not give them five happy faces and.. yeah.  Like I said.. I get it.  For the record though, whoever started that idea, where it's practically obligatory to LIKE something and SO HORRIBLE to dislike it?

This is me, clicking the DISLIKE button.  Deal, snowflakes.  ^_^

2 hours ago, Kitty said:

Deal, snowflakes.

Good at labelling people aren't you? So am I. Let me think . . . hmm, expresses pseudo-radical opinion using txt speak and upper case for effect . . . ? Oh, I forgot. It is okay to call anyone and everyone a snowflake or some other trendy label but people get upset and I get into trouble for saying what I think. ?

On 1/8/2021 at 5:07 AM, Ashal said:

If you notice anything obviously missing, broken, or such in the current setup, let me know here in this thread and I'll look into it as necessary.  I'm open to suggestions for changes as well.

Like the rest of us, the multiquote widget has a small kink.

image.png

edit: Nevermind, it's the ^ button overlapping the widget.

11 minutes ago, Benmc20 said:

No problem with Firefox latest version:

333491912_Screenshot_2021-02-25SiteUpdateThingshavechangedbutnothingisfinal.png.468fd4fa602d124ae8959d1ad731d8a2.png

Do you use Chrome ?

Yup.

And nevermind. I never noticed the image.pngin the bottom-right corner. Which is where the multiquote widget also appears. So they're just overlapping. Still a bug but it doesn't really matter.

Website is working great, but I have an issue with the new attached files limit. Previously you could have around 80-100? attached files in a single post, now that limit seems to be 20. While I can imagine the appeal of having a lower limit (less space/load times?) it has some side effects. This change makes it impossible to edit/update attached files/screenshots in posts above this limit. In practice it will also means if an user needs to go above 20 files they'll just double or triple post. In my personal case I can't update the reference screenshots in the  guide I wrote for MO2 - Skyrim SE (which currently has 66 screenshots, most of them small ones around the 20kB ~ 100kB size). 

I'd love to have the previous limit of files per post, or an alternative solution if it's possible. That being said I understand if this was a deliberate change. And thanks for continuing to work and improve this website.

I noted something today for the first time about the designation shown by the site beneath the avatar. Three out of four (Administrators, Moderators and Members) are all listed as plural. Contributor is distinctive in being singular. I recognize that this is the most trivial of issues in the big sense but, now having seen it, I won't be able to "unsee" it.

3 hours ago, Psalam said:

I noted something today for the first time about the designation shown by the site beneath the avatar. Three out of four (Administrators, Moderators and Members) are all listed as plural. Contributor is distinctive in being singular. I recognize that this is the most trivial of issues in the big sense but, now having seen it, I won't be able to "unsee" it.

Gee.  Thanks.  Now it's in my brain too.  xD

If we start a vote, I'd opt for singular for all, but I do think they should all match.  Either collective or individual tense.  ^_^

Hello everyone. I hope I'm in the right place for this topic and I'm sorry if it has already been discussed, I couldn't find the topic that would talk about it.

The download section of The Sims 4 is very active, but it's filled with a lot of sims characters creation (at least 1,100 mods in total, and the last pages are full of them). I have nothing against it, I even use them sometimes, it's not a judgement, but it makes it difficult to track the other types of mods that come out on the site.

The idea I wanted to submit to settle this is to put a filter system that would allow, for example, to remove some subcategories.  For example to see "Quests" removed in "Fallout 4/Advanced Animation Framework". I don't know if I'm making myself understood.

Thank you for reading me anyway.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:40 AM, RDA said:

Hello everyone. I hope I'm in the right place for this topic and I'm sorry if it has already been discussed, I couldn't find the topic that would talk about it.

The download section of The Sims 4 is very active, but it's filled with a lot of sims characters creation (at least 1,100 mods in total, and the last pages are full of them). I have nothing against it, I even use them sometimes, it's not a judgement, but it makes it difficult to track the other types of mods that come out on the site.

The idea I wanted to submit to settle this is to put a filter system that would allow, for example, to remove some subcategories.  For example to see "Quests" removed in "Fallout 4/Advanced Animation Framework". I don't know if I'm making myself understood.

Thank you for reading me anyway.

I don't do Sims but I've read some of the "suggestions". It would seem to me that in the Sims category you would benefit from 3 Subcategories. First, a "new Sims" category where new ones would be placed for their first ~30 days. Then, for those past that date there would be two categories: More popular (those with over a certain specified number of likes (100?)) and Less popular (for those with less. From what I've read on LL this might help with the current frustrations.

2 hours ago, Psalam said:

I don't do Sims but I've read some of the "suggestions". It would seem to me that in the Sims category you would benefit from 3 Subcategories. First, a "new Sims" category where new ones would be placed for their first ~30 days. Then, for those past that date there would be two categories: More popular (those with over a certain specified number of likes (100?)) and Less popular (for those with less. From what I've read on LL this might help with the current frustrations.

I haven't played any recent sims.. I plan to at some point.  Just haven't yet.  But even just going by what I recall of older sims games and the mess of trying to sort files for THOSE, which had nowhere near the popularity and sheer number like they do now, that'd probably be quite helpful.

Even JUST making one sub-category JUST for sims, to keep those away from virtually everything else would probably be a big help, but if there was some way to do a "New" "Popular" "Meh" sorta thing, that might work nicely.  Especially if it could be somehow automated to sort itself, though I have zero clue what sort of options the software provides for that sort of thing.

4 hours ago, Psalam said:

The real problem is that the a few (a tiny minority whose ability to annoy others is disproportionate to their actual numbers) mod authors will go and make minor/trivial edits to their mod description on a daily basis to spam the "The Sims 4" page and keep their mods on top.  Even if no new file is uploaded, their page goes back to the top of the list, and then you don't know if there is actually new content, or someone just trying to funnel clicks to their Patreon page.

Heck, I've downloaded many of those Sims so I have nothing against creating and posting them; but I think many of us are frustrated trying to find new content, or content that has had real updates, in a sea of recycled spam.

Subcategories would help this problem, but maybe also only posting mods to the top of the list that have actual new content.

EDITED TO ADD:  I have nothing against Patreon and people making a few bucks, I support LL that way.  But a few people are far too shameless about putting their hands out.

Well yeah, an other idea would be to create a separate category : one for characters and one for other types of content.
This would solve the main problem : finding updated or submitted content among all the download pages dedicated to characters.

Minor Request:

Move either the "Jump to top" arrow that pops up or the "Quote X Post(s)" box which pops up slightly.

As it stands now, both of them will appear in the lower right, and it's not a huge problem, but let's say you were combing through a thread, and had selected a few posts to mulit-quote, and then decide you'd rather not.  The "Jump to Top" arrow makes it impossible to click the cancel X on the quote tool.

There's ways to work around it, but it can be a minor annoyance which could be fixed if either of those tools could be moved slightly.  Either stick one in the opposite corner or just move the Y position up/down a bit.

Just a thought.  Appreciate all the great work on the new changes and shiny stuff.  ^_^