Site Update: Things have changed, but nothing is final.

I would like to request a feature for the search, not 100% sure how easy that would be to add... 
Essentially, i would like the requirement to "insert a search term" having removed xD

I would like to search for all new files (topics?) that have been added the last month(s) in the download section, i can already chose everything... but it won't do anything without a term.

Beeing more specific is what i don't want to be though^^

On 1/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, DeepBlueFrog said:

Is there hope to get rid of duplicate items in the Unread feed at some point and only list the latest for each thread?

This is making things hard to read.

image.png

I want to again +1 this. While mine wasn't quite this stark, this morning 7 of 25 of mine were the same thread. 

Is there any way to stop it from showing as an update when you just edit your download section? I mean unless I'm just totally missing something, the only way I found to say add a new preview picture is to enter the option upload new version. If you go to edit, you can change some text, but not access that section, and then I think it still shows as an update.

Not a huge forum breaking issue, but I always feel guilty when I need to just make an edit or add a preview pic or gif and it shows as updated just now.

suggestion how about a search feature that actually works. If you are looking for a certain mod it is impossible to find using your search feature. instead of giving you what you are  requesting it sends  you to a forum that has 100+ forum pages even though are looking for a mod not forums. it is impossible to find anything on this site unless you want to waste hrs upon hrs. i go to nexus and use the search feature there and i find what i want quickly. same with mod the sims and 100 other sites. the filter is garbage i select  files i put in the exact mod name and get we are not able to find that or this file does not exist when it does. I don't know about you but i just do not have 8 hrs to waste looking thru hundreds and hundreds of pages to find what I a looking for. A better search feature will make it easier for all users of this site to navigate around the site quicker and more efficiently.

59 minutes ago, jbradhl said:

suggestion how about a search feature that actually works. If you are looking for a certain mod it is impossible to find using your search feature. instead of giving you what you are  requesting it sends  you to a forum that has 100+ forum pages even though are looking for a mod not forums. it is impossible to find anything on this site unless you want to waste hrs upon hrs. i go to nexus and use the search feature there and i find what i want quickly. same with mod the sims and 100 other sites. the filter is garbage i select  files i put in the exact mod name and get we are not able to find that or this file does not exist when it does. I don't know about you but i just do not have 8 hrs to waste looking thru hundreds and hundreds of pages to find what I a looking for. A better search feature will make it easier for all users of this site to navigate around the site quicker and more efficiently.

Might I suggest that you look at this:

The very first thing covered in this post is how to effectively use LL's Search engine. Other tips can be found throughout the rest of the blog (i.e., in the other blog posts).

So...

The answer/question system seems to have been utterly useless in the Skyrim section so far. NOBODY upvotes answers and very few users have bothered  to mark a reply as the solution.

Guess I should remove it now then? Anybody here that wants to defend it before I do...?

2 minutes ago, Ashal said:

So...

The answer/question system seems to have been utterly useless in the Skyrim section so far. NOBODY upvotes answers and very few users have bothered  to mark a reply as the solution.

Guess I should remove it now then? Anybody here that wants to defend it before I do...?

Now that I finally got upvoted (today) I have to admit that @Grey Cloud appears to have been right and it is useless. However, it was a worthwhile experiment.

It seems to me like it would be great. If we were using it 5 years ago. 

It's way to late to add such complicated functionality. People aren't conditioned to deal with it. 

In a similar vain... I'd love to add a strict tagging system like f95 has... But we feel way past being able to deal with that.

34 minutes ago, Ashal said:

I'd love to add a strict tagging system

It sounds good to me. Couldn't you just make a list of tags and require that one or more be added to threads? I would think it might make finding threads easier. Of course, some people have problems with the search function too and I've found that nothing but useful.

23 hours ago, Ashal said:

So...

There is a Q&A section?

19 minutes ago, bicobus said:

There is a Q&A section?

Look at the Technical Thread (for Skyrim). You'll see that Ashal has added an ability to 1) vote for answers (thus trying to give the OP an idea of how many people think a particular response is the correct answer) and 2) for the OP to mark the question as "Solved" thus allowing others to look up their answers rather than posting another thread with the same or similar question.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:53 AM, Ashal said:

So...

You should keep it.... I actually just noticed it for the first time yesterday and upvoted an answer...... it doesn't affect performance negatively to keep it right?

I'd likely use the feature as well, except at this point, I have yet to install, let alone mod or play Skyrim, so I have little reason to read tech forums for it and wouldn't know which answers in there were right/wrong even if I did.  ^_^

On 2/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, Psalam said:

@Grey Cloud appears to have been right

Probability theory. After nearly 64 years I was overdue getting something right. ?

On 2/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, Ashal said:

Guess I should remove it now then?

While I'm on a roll, can we go back to showing when and who the last post in a thread was rather than who the OP was and when the OP posted, please? (Once we get rid of the votes/replies thing)

23 hours ago, NIND (jimmyyu) said:

You should keep it.... I actually just noticed it for the first time yesterday and upvoted an answer...... it doesn't affect performance negatively to keep it right?

Just my two cents about the upvote function. Only use i found for it so far was that i could just "like" a post to signal the writer i found it useful without spamming a support page with lines like "yeah that's right" or keep quiet. I can show someone my thanks without making the thread longer as it has to be so others can do their research a bit quicker. So for that it's not a bad idea.

I also like being able to like a post sometimes rather than making a reply that adds a post to either agree w/ the author or signal gratitude. Also, if I find somebody else's solution answered one of my own issues then 'liking' it seems a good way to indicate to others that that particular solution was helpful. Maybe everybody won't use it, but I also think it is a feature that will slowly gather momentum and so needs more time before you decide to trash it.

I also like to edit the title of my thread to show that my issue is Resolved and then edit the post to indicate how. If it's not my thread, then of course I usually do a standard reply, usually w/ quotes, to show what solved my problem - especially if it was a unique problem.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:11 PM, Gukahn said:

Just my two cents about the upvote function. Only use i found for it so far was that i could just "like" a post to signal the writer i found it useful without spamming a support page with lines like "yeah that's right" or keep quiet. I can show someone my thanks without making the thread longer as it has to be so others can do their research a bit quicker. So for that it's not a bad idea.

Of course, we always had the more traditional "like" feature (and still do). That's the thumbs up icon found in the bottom right hand corner of any post. It is grayed out until you scroll over it (or someone has been there before you and clicked on it). As of this writing you'll note that your post has two thumbs-up even now. If Ashal decides to keep the current system (as opposed to the old one) I'm sure I'll adapt, but I fail to see the advantage. Your point, which is well taken, applies to the old method as well.

5 hours ago, Psalam said:

Of course, we always had the more traditional "like" feature (and still do). That's the thumbs up icon found in the bottom right hand corner of any post. It is grayed out until you scroll over it (or someone has been there before you and clicked on it). As of this writing you'll note that your post has two thumbs-up even now. If Ashal decides to keep the current system (as opposed to the old one) I'm sure I'll adapt, but I fail to see the advantage. Your point, which is well taken, applies to the old method as well.

I didn't knew that this function was always there since i just recently got active in the forums and i seem to have misunderstood the previews posts i had read. I thought the argument was about getting rid of this feature as well, sorry  i may have been confused about something. My english can sometimes be a little rusty ^^