Site Update: Things have changed, but nothing is final.

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

The 'Popular' sub-section at the top is pointless.  Either a technical issue is relevant or it is not. One does not troubleshoot based on popularity.

Vote? On what does one vote and for what purpose?

That 100% seems to me like something that would solve it self eventually with usage...

It's pointless now, sure, because the functionality hasn't been used for more than a couple hours... Eventually a question that is heavily asked would rise to the top, presumably, and prevent it from pointlessly being asked again.

I really don't like how it separates pinned threads while setup this way...  The pinned threads should be viewed as separate instead of being subject to the same question/answer system... I have no control over that however.

7 minutes ago, Ashal said:

It's pointless now, sure, because the functionality hasn't been used for more than a couple hours... Eventually a question that is heavily asked would rise to the top, presumably, and prevent it from pointlessly being asked again.

Perhaps but would the question not have to be formulated in exactly the same way? e.g. 'FNIS Problem' and 'Getting FNIS Error XYZ' may have the same solution but would they register as the same for the vote?

A couple more examples: many people don't know the difference between black face, grey face and brown face or neck gap and neck seam.

A working search function would be better IMO.

On a different note: Sunday afternoon here in the UK and I can't remember the last time this site was so fast and snappy over a weekend period.

7 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Perhaps but would the question not have to be formulated in exactly the same way? e.g. 'FNIS Problem' and 'Getting FNIS Error XYZ' may have the same solution but would they register as the same for the vote?

A couple more examples: many people don't know the difference between black face, grey face and brown face or neck gap and neck seam.

That's what I want to find out by running it for a week. I'm stupidly optimistic that users will figure it out enough to make it worthwhile... 

I have very little control over how search works. This is basically all the options I can change related to it:

searchoptions.PNG

27 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

On a different note: Sunday afternoon here in the UK and I can't remember the last time this site was so fast and snappy over a weekend period.

20 minutes ago, Ashal said:

That's what I want to find out by running it for a week. I'm stupidly optimistic that users will figure it out enough to make it worthwhile... 

I have very little control over how search works. This is basically all the options I can change related to it:

searchoptions.PNG

You two make me laugh. Everything is worth trying. It may or may not work.

I find the search engine to be very useful. It does require a certain amount of knowledge to use but, unless you want the computing power of Google (and its associated costs), so does everything else. When helping on the Threads you'll often see me refer to old threads. Did you really think I remembered where they all were? Read Search engine.

Last, I pointed out earlier on this very same Thread that the same question was asked at least 5 times. The fact that mod users seem to have difficulty with the concept of, or simply the ability to, read a mod's description is legendary (often made reference to in signatures). I hope that this experiment will be worthwhile. I believe my experiment with "Navigating LL" was worthwhile but it hardly means that everybody reads it.

Another (potential) use for this float/vote behavior would be those "Post mods for such-and-such here" threads where yes, there's lots of good stuff in there.  Sadly it's also tangled with like 102 pages of often rather irrelevant or, after lots of things have been deleted for various reasons, utterly nonsensical posts and replies.  All of which you basically have to go digging through for hours looking for that ONE mod you KNOW you saw in there... somewhere.  xD

Anyways, point is if we could actually get people to make proper use of such a feature, any posts which actually contain mods could all be floated in a similar manner, making things a hell of a lot easier to find -at least, theoretically.  ^_^

Oh, and if it's not obvious, I'm thinking more for the games that aren't big or popular enough to have their own sections more than the "big titles".  I think it tends to be more notable with the titles that all wind up lumped into "Adult Gaming" rather than the ones which have their own sections and sub-boards.

1 hour ago, prinyo said:

For example here

All my posts in that specific thread have it.

ll11.jpg.5af60136d4a28edb837402159a066db1.jpg

Thank you. In that case I believe you are on the receiving end of Ashal's new system:

Spoiler

Currently testing a change of the technical support categories by changing them "question" categories.

Congratulations! I expect we'll see a lot more of these over the next week! ?

15 hours ago, Varithina said:

On the activity page, unread content, should be basically at the top, just under the sorting options.

Oh, strange place for it. I never check that page. It doesn't affect browsing any other forum areas for me. Everything else still looks just as bloated. I'd want to "condense" the whole site layout, not just one spot.

Hi Ashal. Thanks for the update and for the continued efforts to keep the site running :innocent:

Just one thing you may have missed: on people's profile pages, the 'Follow' button is gone..

It used to be inside of the profile banner next to 'Message'

(I think 'Block user' also used to be a button there)

image.png.cb63e6ecaf50c72259eb9fd030b57384.png

45 minutes ago, Baby Lola said:

Hi Ashal. Thanks for the update and for the continued efforts to keep the site running :innocent:

Just one thing you may have missed: on people's profile pages, the 'Follow' button is gone..

It used to be inside of the profile banner next to 'Message'

(I think 'Block user' also used to be a button there)

image.png.cb63e6ecaf50c72259eb9fd030b57384.png

Yes, I know I'm not Ashal.

The follow function has been non-functional for about 18 months as a result of hacker attacks that used that feature. Since it is not working it is logical to simply remove the button. Like others, I hope that this functionality will someday be restored but there is no sense in having a "button to nowhere."

The block (properly ignore) function still exists. Go up to your avatar at the top left hand corner of the page and pull down the menu next to your name. The next to the last line says "Ignored Users". If you click on it you will get a list of those you are ignoring and a place where you can add more.

I have a suggestion (see image), which is to implement a confirmation prompt for unfollowing multiple files/topics at once.

Using the "Select rows based on type" feature on the top right of the "Managed Followed Content" settings, I selected 25 files that I had been following. I wanted to deselect them and I wrongfully assumed that the "X" on the bottom center would do just that. I ended up unfollowing 25 files (I typically use the follow feature to bookmark mods I'm interested in downloading).

This is bothersome as there are over 3,700 mods in the Skyrim LE category, and I have no idea which 25 of these had been unfollowed. Therefore, I would also suggest an "undo" or "revert" prompt after making changes with the "Select rows based on type" feature.

recommendation.PNG.eb69bd24276f432aff89380c88bb0d32.PNG Please and thank you. ?

On 1/8/2021 at 8:07 AM, Ashal said:

A quick heads up, the site has recently updated to the most recent version of IPB, and with it has come various layout, theme , and functionality changes.  Nothing as it is right now is final, and things will be in flux for a few days while I tweak the updated themes in various ways.

For people who used the full width version of the theme before, click the toggle button at the top of the site (next to the messages icon) and you can select fluid width there.

If you notice anything obviously missing, broken, or such in the current setup, let me know here in this thread and I'll look into it as necessary.  I'm open to suggestions for changes as well.

Hello... 

I am having trouble following creators on here. Like, there is no button to click at all on their profiles. Im guessing thats still being worked on?

11 hours ago, Faded7 said:

Hey @Ashal 

I'm glad you guys finally changed the Design with the logo I've made for LL.

This community/staff and site deserve more, so any other graphic designs the site in need for let me know.

Much love

Will do. Thanks for the logo!