Anyone else not pre-ordering elder scrolls 6

I don't think preordering will be an issue.  What will ensnare people is their self-inflicted 'fear of missing out' once the game is released and the Youtube shills start bleating over it like lost sheep.

"best game evah!"  "10/10" "Badass seal of approval!"...and all the other ignorant shit they'll spew.

It will be a fucking Bethesda game and it ain't gonna be great.  It will be a buggy subpar wankfest (like always) with a shit story and they won't release a CK for it until they've dry humped and finger banged 'the community' with Bethedsa.net and their goddamned Creation Club microtransactions.  I doubt Microsoft at the wheel will change any of that.

Truthfully, after getting ganked by FO4 I don't care what Bethesda does.

10 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

I don't think preordering will be an issue.  What will ensnare people is their self-inflicted 'fear of missing out' once the game is released and the Youtube shills start bleating over it like lost sheep.

"best game evah!"  "10/10" "Badass seal of approval!"...and all the other ignorant shit they'll spew.

It will be a fucking Bethesda game and it ain't gonna be great.  It will be a buggy subpar wankfest (like always) with a shit story and they won't release a CK for it until they've dry humped and finger banged 'the community' with Bethedsa.net and their goddamned Creation Club microtransactions.  I doubt Microsoft at the wheel will change any of that.

Truthfully, after getting ganked by FO4 I don't care what Bethesda does.

You have a valid point there. the PR that Bethesda has is fucking amazing even after all the crap they have done. It is one thing to have problem with bugs and such on an old system quite another to mis advertise rum and bags. Fan boys forgiving them? Seriously?  Todd Howard stating "it just works" is actually what he tells the board of directors as ... no matter what is done  there is $$$ to be made.  "We don't even have to release a working game!, "Our System, It just works".. is what I imagine is being said there, as I can't believe any customer would believe it.

Bethesda was where every Indy game manufacture wants to be.  Loyal game customers for all their products.  Then they fuck that up. The bar was so low.. but they couldn't even meet that expectation. They deserve what they get / got.  years later they can't even get Vault 76 sorted.

I got "ganked by FO4" as well. It will be a fucking miracle  that I ever buy any of the Fallout/TES series again. There will have to be a solid confirmed and extended time of improvement before that happens.

19 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Wish I did that for Fallout 4. Might have saved a few bucks.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 for about half a year and noticed to my dismay it was rather shallow on the content end.  Each DLC did bring me back for about a month and then...I went back to New Vegas ?.  A few mods would bring me back for a day or two but usually not even that was enough.  TiFA did bring me back a good portion but when you need an overhaul mod to make a game enjoyable that should be a red flag imho.  Take my version of New Vegas for example; aside from some texture improvements, stability modifications and the Mod Configuration menu addition I have little to NO other mods installed.  Fallout 4 however takes up nearly 3 or 4 pages of mods JUST to make it enjoyable by my standards.

I'm hoping Bethesda takes that as a hint that maybe they collaborate with Obsidian again because its obvious that New Vegas is a superior RPG.  Fallout 4 is aesthetically pleasing but New Vegas is just all around a better game.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:29 AM, Kendo 2 said:

It will be a buggy subpar wankfest (like always) with a shit story and they won't release a CK for it until they've dry humped and finger banged 'the community' with Bethedsa.net and their goddamned Creation Club microtransactions.  I doubt Microsoft at the wheel will change any of that.

Well said... Microsoft will add to the shit show just look at how the have subscriptions to office ect.... Yea it will be a money grab from day one and you forgot to mention Microsoft will be dry fucking your ass the whole time while their hand is in your wallet.

I remember Morrowind. I remember how I felt playing in that world - full of awe. Then Oblivion - While I still to this day appreciate the DLC/Shivering Isles, The base game was no where near as awe-inspiring as Morrowind - I began using Mods SERIOUSLY at this point. Game saved, sanity restored, Bethesda was now recognized as a players playground!

Fallout 3? I played that shit earlier, now it's Bethesda right? Mod use - hell yeah, let's go. I wasn't as worried then since the concept of Mods was more important to me with a new sandbox to use them in. Slowly though with each subsequent release the writing on the wall became more clear. Bethesda was gaining AAA power because of the fans, not really anything they themselves were doing other than releasing new sandbox themes and locales. Not to sound totally bitter, there were obviously things to like (Music/etc.) but overall there were many things to dislike as well.

Then the first shot was fired - taking what made their games attractive to the majority of fan - mods - and I'm preaching to the choir here, fucked us over with patch after patch. It reminds me of software security fighting hackers... sad.

ONLINE? No MODS? Umm, okay, I'll pass on that shit - and did, both Elder Scrolls and Fallout (online).

Will I preorder - Oh Hell No!. Will I buy? That remains to be seen. As a Sims player I totally blew off the SIms 4. Sure you could mod it, but it's a sad replacement for what came before. I have reservations that the Elder Scrolls 6 would be any different. Probably having to use a Microsoft version of Steam/Origin/Ubisoft Connect along with whatever other drama they can concoct to make game use and mod use untenable will likely be the experience.

I've never been one of those '1st' types, so IF I get it, (big if) it will be on sale long after the standard issues are worked out and I find using the product won't leave me with a case of the shits.

Geez, I miss that feeling Morrowind gave me.

After fallout 4 (heavily modded very heavily modded) i have no interest either in new games and like many i have never pre ordered and never will pretty much all game companys suck these days beth is just the tip of the iceberg, mine eyes are fully open to advertising and i have a knack of being very very sceptical on any new release and if i do like something after its been around a few years hmm maybe months i will torrent it and if i like it and it meets all my criteria i will buy it, basically i view all new games as cash grabs till proven otherwise, however i would like to add that had it not been for lovers lab or nexus mods i would have stopped buying new games years ago i would much rather have a modded old game over a new shitty one any day thank the lord for the modding community i love you guys.

I am disillusioned enough to not preorder Cyberpunk 2077, because it's what comes after 76, get it :classic_rolleyes:, Fallout 76? Bought GOTY Witcher 3 and never regretted not getting the base game at release. I'm still playing Blood and Wine until Cyberpunk hits. Bethesda will never recover their creativity imho. Besides, TESVI will still be on a resurrected Gamebryo, right?

I did support a couple of projects on Kickstarter (Wastelands 2 and Tides of Numenera specifically) because I wanted them released, but I never pre-ordered a game from a company with a publisher (and thus - financial support). Why? It's not as if there will be a limited number of copies. Pre-ordering is stupid. I usually just put a game on the wish list on Steam and wait for "the game is on sale" notification. By that time it's already has most post-release bugs fixed, it usually comes with all DLCs and other sugar. 

Regading Cuberpunk 2077 mentioned here - I don't have much time to play games, and most of it goes to my heavily modded Skyrim. If Cyberpunk wants to compete for my attention, it would better have something to offer, I already have ~30 games I barely played in my library, I don't care for another addition to this family. I want to see a modding potential before I put a dime into yet another game.

Personally well it depends...if the game is something i am interested i might wait until it is 30 % of in sale. Sometimes i have waited patiently for 50 or even 75 % of sales while keeping eye of the game how it has fared and if there have been bugs etc, watched reviews and gameplay before making decision to buy the game. 

Skyrim i played (i have to be honest as torrented version of the game in pc first) then buy it 2014 for steam. I think got it when it was 50 % sale with all dlc:s so hmm maybe 20 euros to 30 somewhere at that range but i got worth of every penny from the game. I have 4 300 hours now played in steam and i occasionally play it still to test new mods and try something different gamestyles with them.

I will probably wait a year or two for the price to drop, the worst bugs to be ironed out, and for the mods, particularly the LL mods.

I was not at all impressed with Fallout 4, I feel like it magnified everything I didn't like about Skyrim and piled on a few more new ones. I suspect ES6 will be more of the same.

Skyrim modding is also in a really good place right now. Lots of exciting new mods coming out that continues to give me reasons to go back to Skyrim. So I don't really have a pressing need for new Elder Scrolls content.

I might eat my words at a later date if the trailers and gameplay looks really good, but they'd have to clear a pretty high bar considering the shambling mass of jank FO4 (and FO76 from the looks of it) turned out to be.

Feels like on release, it's going to be an unplayable mess with the same unfixed bugs imported all the way from Skyrim, funky exploits, CTD issues and the 100 quid collector's edition dragon head backpack is going to be made out of a platic bag instead of a plushie. Then, a year later, instead of fixing all of that we'll just get the chance to puchase some superexlusive VIP seasonal pass for the lovely price of 99.99 a year that will bring more issues, bugs and overall stuff that should have been in the game from the get go, not hidden behind a paywall one year later.

Also feels like the only way the game will be playable is with a beefy 50gig modpack in like 2026. Not sure how I feel about pre-ordering a game I won't be able to play for the next half a decade.

Really don't know why I'm getting all these feelings though. So weird. Almost like...a deja-vu or something.

?‍♀️

Like several others I have never pre-ordered a game in my life. I mean we have all seen (from many publishers) the advanced sales footage showing how awesome a game is only to actually see a subpar piece of crap upon release. I lucked out on both Oblivion and Skyrim as my PC was not up to standards and had to wait a year. Plus when you factor in the loss of play-style option in each new game; why even bother? IMHO Morrowind was the last really good game these jokers put out, it had 8 weapon categories (including Spears and Throwing Weapons) Skyrim only 3. Armor used to have 3 weights and was modular now only 2 weights and is an all in one outfit. Magic has lost one of its schools but we do get the Dragon Shout power in its place. They did away with classes and all racial buffs and penalties have been nerfed. Your all important attributes that governed your magic ability is now handled behind the scenes to make you an all arounder.

So anyone interested in a pre-order I have a 2035 Chevy Fooque for sale.  :sweat_smile:  :naughty::cool:

I can guarantee the same great quality we have been getting from Bethesda over the past few years.

Did they announce something on TES6 ?
Either way, I never pre-order anything. Lost faith in Beth last years, at this point i'd rather stick with previous games than see, uh... Races sold seperately in CC? or whatever bright plan the Beth MBA department got...
"Celebrating Tolfdir's anniversary this week with a new companion : Tolfdir's daughter, Tolfdette. A mod packed with incredible rewards like Tolfdir's +5 magika panty and a UNIQUE food item" only 7$

It's interesting the way that feelings seem to have changed on this point. Two or three years ago, and this thread would have been full of fans all planning to pre-order anything Bethesda made and vigorously defending the practice. Now you'd have a hard time finding one such post.

I don't know if that's disillusionment with Bethesda at work, or just a wider awareness of the inherent stupidity of pre-ordering games. Whichever way, it seems like a positive thing.

Imho People gamers modders whomever on this site and sites like this one are proberbaly more sceptical because we seek to change what is to make more to our liking and in our travels we become wiser to the manipulations of aformentioned game producers who generally only seek whats in your wallet, its all about perception i suspect that most of the poplace in the 'uhumm real world' still clamour over each other thrusting wallets and belongings at games companys for drivel, does anyone want to prove me wrong?

On 11/18/2020 at 6:28 AM, DocClox said:

I don't know if that's disillusionment with Bethesda at work, or just a wider awareness of the inherent stupidity of pre-ordering games.

As I stated before "I have never pre-ordered a game in my life" since their promises and my expectations are quite often far away from the actual finished product (FABLE anyone).

4 hours ago, johnpage said:

in our travels we become wiser to the manipulations of aformentioned game producers who generally only seek whats in your wallet

This seems to be my main sticking point. While I understand that game companies are indeed businesses and as such need to turn a profit, some of their practices are just wrong. I don't even mind that some of these titles take years to be released; I get it programing, modeling, world building, story telling, testing and so on take time. However after waiting all those years I would expect to be able to play day one without an immediate patch. DLC on the other hand is a welcomed and much appreciated bonus, my problem comes when my 80+ hour game and 15 to 20 hour DLC (using the same assets and program code) cost the same, all the heavy lifting has already been done so this should be at least a bit cheaper (to be fair this does not always happen). Then we have games with multiple playable characters releasing with only 2 or 3 sure some can be earned through playing but the really good ones need to be bought. The same goes for awesome legendary weapons, just a cheesey money grab.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, landess said:

*snip*

Probably having to use a Microsoft version of Steam/Origin/Ubisoft Connect

*snip*

I would hope not.  They already have your OS and the MS Store app.  Not sure what purpose a game launcher would serve, but you never know, you might be right.

I'm actually glad MS bought them.  Bethesda needs a change of direction.  Nearly ANY change of direction would be a good thing.  I'm a bit biased though, a lot of my friends are MS employees.

MS already announced why they bought Bethesda.  They want Bethesda titles "first, better, or best" on their platforms.  e.g. - Windows & most of all XBox.  It's very understandable; XBox has lost a lot of ground in the console wars over the last few years.

2 hours ago, Skewered said:

I'm actually glad MS bought them.

Just a coincidence, but many felt the same about Star Wars - Just a a thought.

2 hours ago, Skewered said:

XBox has lost a lot of ground in the console wars over the last few years.

I don't do 'consoles', not since the Atari2600 followed by the Commodore64 which was my stepping stone to PC's. My point here was the appreciation of Sony 'ports'. I understand these console wars and their exclusivity contracts, but after 2-3 years they need to just stop already and sell to 'anyone', increase profit AND goodwill. My 2 cents....  Ford and Chevy (GM) - that 'war' is over 100 years old and won't end anytime soon. Choice is not WAR, it's capitalism's greatest tool - otherwise we have monopolies with nothing to keep them in check!

6 hours ago, landess said:

Just a coincidence, but many felt the same about Star Wars - Just a a thought.

You mean Disney / Lucas arts / Kotor ?

I don't recall Microsoft being relevant in the gaming industry (I mean as game creators/publishers) since uh... Ao2? Fable maybe but I think they were just publishers iirc (and that wasn't super relevant either).
So yep, i'd bet we're gonna get a news similar to Lucas, as in "Microsoft shuts down Bethesda studios" Maybe not right now but in the future

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, DocClox said:

It's interesting the way that feelings seem to have changed on this point. Two or three years ago, and this thread would have been full of fans all planning to pre-order anything Bethesda made and vigorously defending the practice. Now you'd have a hard time finding one such post.

I don't know if that's disillusionment with Bethesda at work, or just a wider awareness of the inherent stupidity of pre-ordering games. Whichever way, it seems like a positive thing.

Would think the decline of pre-ordering would date back further than that myself, once upon a time when games came on a physical disk the only way to make sure that you got it was to pre-order due to the limited amount of copies available on day one

Now PC's dont even come with optical drives and the default method is to download that's never an issue anymore so other than an "amazing" pre-order bonus the chance of you missing out on a game from not pre-ordering is pretty much zero

That said pre-ordering of hardware now seems to be a thing