Anyone else not pre-ordering elder scrolls 6

DO. NOT. PRE-ORDER. GAMES. EVER.

I think it was Todd Howard himself who said something to the effect of "It's not how they (games) are released, it's what they become." meaning it doesn't matter what it is at release because they can just fix it later via patch and update. That's some hardcore bologna, right there. That's like buying a hamburger at full price and having them deliver each piece of it weeks apart. At the end do you even want it anymore?

When you pre-order games or spend money on micro transactions you perpetuate the nonsense the gaming industry is becoming infamous for. If nobody spent money at in-game stores they wouldn't spend the time and resources including them. If nobody pre-ordered broken half-assed crap they'd take their time and release fuller games. And while we're at it, if nobody bought games at launch and instead waited for price drops before buying they'd lower the prices. The market leads the decisions corporations make; and yes, WE are the market.

Will never pre-order any game or buy early access, I rather wait and see if a shit fest will unfold.... besides Bethesda made it clear they don't give a fuck anymore, the game is more likely gonna be lacking as fuck and exclusive to their rotten launcher and its gonna be crippled with the Creation Club.. so that's a huge no go for me. 

The only reason I bought fallout 4 was because of the modding community and steam sale...  finished first play through on vanilla and my god it was lacking on everything compared to the previous games. Modders have made far superior job on content, fixes and upgrades for free compared to Bethesda who's head is so for up their own ass.

16 hours ago, theboringforeigner said:

DO. NOT. PRE-ORDER. GAMES. EVER.

I think it was Todd Howard himself who said something to the effect of "It's not how they (games) are released, it's what they become." meaning it doesn't matter what it is at release because they can just fix it later via patch and update. That's some hardcore bologna, right there. That's like buying a hamburger at full price and having them deliver each piece of it weeks apart. At the end do you even want it anymore?

When you pre-order games or spend money on micro transactions you perpetuate the nonsense the gaming industry is becoming infamous for. If nobody spent money at in-game stores they wouldn't spend the time and resources including them. If nobody pre-ordered broken half-assed crap they'd take their time and release fuller games. And while we're at it, if nobody bought games at launch and instead waited for price drops before buying they'd lower the prices. The market leads the decisions corporations make; and yes, WE are the market.

The problem is that putting ingame stores into games requires almost zero effort and ressources. Even if the number of people that buy this crap would significantly drop, it wouldn't hurt the publishers a bit. The only solution would be to not buy the games that include this, but as with most other boycotts there simply wouldn't be enough people willing to go without the products. The market is a tricky thing because you have more factors working against the customer (media, advertisement, shilling etc.) than those that work for the customer (mostly just a select few reviewers on youtube and even those can be unreliable) so most can't really make an informed decision regarding the next purchase. For example, let's take Shadow of War: Almost all the reviews I've read were about you can easily ignore the ingame store and how you needn't worry about a thing if you've liked the prequel. Most reviewers on youtube were in the pocket of Warner Bros., who acted as the publisher of this game. The forums were filled with shills claiming that the only people who complained about the shop were those that didn't play it. Well, I've played it and you could see the mechanisms that were put in place to goad you into spending money in the shop from a mile away, there was nothing subtle about it.

If you completely opted out of the lootbox mechanic, that included the 'free' boxes you got plus the garbage ones you could buy with ingame money, you've had a hell of a grind and annoyances laid out for you. This was further proven by the fact that the devs eventually pulled the plug on the ingame store a year or so after the game's release, which came with an enormous balancing patch that was seemingly needed to adress the state of the game once 'the completely optional, easy to ignore, really it's almost unnoticeable unless you specifically look for it' ""feature"" known as the ingame store was removed.

Really, the only winning move it not to play, i.e. not buying the game. To make a long post even longer, let's have another shitty food analogy, one that I've already used a few times here: Imagine going to a restaurant, ordering something and when the food arives, there's a big fat turd in the middle of it - this is the ingame store. Sure, you could go ahead and say 'Tch, I'll simply eat around it!' but that's not an incentive for the restaurant to stop shitting on your food because you'll still come again and order another plate.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Man in Black said:

I’ll 100% get it eventually

I'd like to be that certain, but even with the damage (IMO) that Disney has done, and the rave cheers Jedi: Fallen Order has received, I'm having trouble rewarding the franchise owners with a purchase.

Both Disney and EA are on my shitlist. One 'atta'boy' isn't enough to wash the taste out of my mouth from many 'oh shits'. Will I eventually get it - maybe, when the price drops to around $15 for a GOTY version. Then I doubt my purchase will send the wrong signal. (plus watching things take multiple lightsaber attacks to kill makes me cringe)

Bethesda at this point is a non-factor for me, and Taketwo is right there with them. I did grab RDR2 after watching a neighbor play it on PS4 a few years back, but like GTAV, refuse to participate in the online drama.

I think Fallout 76, mobile Elder Scrolls, and the attempt to monetize modding are all worthy causes of concern.

I don't think they will mess up an Elder Scrolls 6 though. Bethesda as a company would be riding on the success of TES6, and if they fuck it up it's not going to yield them a profit that's anywhere near worth the cost in lost future profits.

That said, large companies seem to be becoming cartoonishly greedily stupid, so if they do, feel free to throw this prediction back at me.

Companies are run no different than govts these days so don't expect anything at all to be any good. Best to wait a few years and see what they do with it. First thing to wait out is any kind of online only requirement if you are wanting a single player game from them. Beth has that aggressive investor corp frenemy on their back all the time for a return and I would not be surprised by some kind of hostile takeover in the near future. The fact that beth or zeni whoever came up with a game streaming service called orion tells me all that I need to know about anything they make in the future. That along with how they pulled out of that nvidia crap service recently too I mean, they have their own version of that shit why would they not pull out?

ES6 is supposed to have that youtuber granny in it right? she is supposed to be an npc in the game you can see a pic of her face and some other scenes of her wearing what looks like gear worn by people who are put into games as a character in some vids on youtube from beth ever since E3 last year. Game companies love their relations with influencers so much and that is just sad.

What we should really be looking forward to if any of it actually has a snowballs chance in hell of releasing is these fan made games like skywind or FO4NV and so on. Those are probably the only things left that won't be guaranteed crap at this point. ES6 is so incredibly far away from release we really don't know much about it. I'm sure it and starfield will be packed full of current year propaganda though. As annoying as kanye west is it would not be a bad thing to see him in ES6 as a redguard doing dumb shit for laughs. They already have youtuber granny in there might as well throw in kanye and a few others.

I won't be pre-ordering ES6, and not sure tbh if I will purchase it at all. I think I'll be waiting until they verify they will be supporting the modding community with no strings attached. Just being honest, the only reason I've played any of the Elder Scrolls games is because of modders. IMHO without modder's Bethesda wouldn't be here today as a gaming company and we wouldn't have ES5 or FO4.

It's on the backs of communities like Loverslab that these games have flourished, They turned their backs on us over the last game and will have to do a lot to regain our trust.

I'll join in with the chorus: pre-ordering is stupid. It encourages the developers to release rushed, slapdash games and offers no benefit whatsoever to the buyer.

Whether I'll buy TES6? Let's see how big a mess they make of Starfield, first.

17 hours ago, DocClox said:

I'll join in with the chorus: pre-ordering is stupid. It encourages the developers to release rushed, slapdash games and offers no benefit whatsoever to the buyer.

Whether I'll buy TES6? Let's see how big a mess they make of Starfield, first.

I am not going to pre-order any game.  I have done so in the past and been disappointed in it.  I want to be an informed consumer. Pre-ordering prevents this from truly happening. the classic "it just works" phrase in relation to Fallout 76 should prove my point well enough.  Gaming companies lie about their products all the time. Some more than others.

Pre-ordering does what @DocCloxsays and encourages the developers to release rushed crap but also encourages them to avoid early review copies to game reporters and reviewers as well. Why do that, when someone could state it was crap or show a poor example that contradicts from their narrative? when they don't have to?  I want the companies to release their games early to those reviewers and allow athem to show /discuss the game which will give me some informed info on purchasing. If I am still in doubt.. I wait a bit after the release to see general reviews of the game. The company still gets their money if it is a great game. I WANT TO BUY GOOD GAMES  and will.. I will also likely get the package as well if the game is excellent and I can see myself playing it for a long time. They (the game companies) loose nothing by producing good games. There is no reason to do the crap they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I wont buy it until its out and I have had a chance to see it, along with their plans for it. If it releases, doesnt look entertaining, and has no ability to mod it to the point we have now, I am not buying it. Bethesda has been pissing on their customer base to the point I no longer trust them as a game production company, same with Blizzard (I mean Activi$ion).

Elder Scrolls 6 will propably not come out before 2025 (thats what the leaks say). i usually dont preorder anything the last and only game that i preordered was fallout 4 and i only did that because i had so good memories of playing fallout 3 and nv and i was just happy to hear that this franchise is getting continued. well now i wish fallout 4 didnt come out or they would have used another franchise for this game since it is hardly fallout. only because its Elder Scrolls it doesnt mean it will be good and i will have a very close look at this game before buying it.

TESVI will not be released before the entire world map of ESO is finished, or ESO is toppled.

And even after they finish the map, they might want to do Akavir and Atmora as well. This will take many years.

I have been to ESO recently and the game is bustling with activity, with many subscribers exhibiting dyed crown store clothes.

ZOS is making a lot of money. There is no reason to make TESVI. Much better to focus on a new franchise, like Starfield, for creativity sake.

If Starfield is indeed Skyrim in space, and is moddable, well, my XCOM2 characters will be ready for a port. I had a two-year (real time) campaign in that game which was one of the most epic experiences.

As for TES, like I said, ESO is the game where every TES player will be. Ugly 2005 graphics, no immersion, snares everywhere.

To topple ESO, Tamriel need to be mapped in Skyrim. Few people are doing it (me included).

Recently I searched for a altmer kit for building, to help two modders I found out are doing Summerset and Artaeum.

Found nothing. Really sad. There are lots of artists to make 93839382 vampire amors, none to make a kit to help the guys.

That's why I believe we will only see TESVI in 6-8 years, maybe 10 years from now.

MMOs have long lives. WoW continue to this day, using very old graphics.

So ESO will continue for a very long time, and only then we will see TESVI.

Bethesda go where the cash is.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:29 AM, Wolfstorm321 said:

TESVI will not be released before the entire world map of ESO is finished, or ESO is toppled.

And even after they finish the map, they might want to do Akavir and Atmora as well. This will take many years.

I have been to ESO recently and the game is bustling with activity, with many subscribers exhibiting dyed crown store clothes.

ZOS is making a lot of money. There is no reason to make TESVI. Much better to focus on a new franchise, like Starfield, for creativity sake.

If Starfield is indeed Skyrim in space, and is moddable, well, my XCOM2 characters will be ready for a port. I had a two-year (real time) campaign in that game which was one of the most epic experiences.

As for TES, like I said, ESO is the game where every TES player will be. Ugly 2005 graphics, no immersion, snares everywhere.

To topple ESO, Tamriel need to be mapped in Skyrim. Few people are doing it (me included).

Recently I searched for a altmer kit for building, to help two modders I found out are doing Summerset and Artaeum.

Found nothing. Really sad. There are lots of artists to make 93839382 vampire amors, none to make a kit to help the guys.

That's why I believe we will only see TESVI in 6-8 years, maybe 10 years from now.

MMOs have long lives. WoW continue to this day, using very old graphics.

So ESO will continue for a very long time, and only then we will see TESVI.

Bethesda go where the cash is.

TESO 13.5 million players on PC, Xbox One and PS4 (without Free trials)
the number of free to play players is unknown, but I guess another 10 million or even more. :classic_wink:

I don't care when TES6 is released, I'm done with Bethesda, is from my memory deleted! :classic_laugh:

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, winny257 said:

TESO 13.5 million players on PC, Xbox One and PS4 (without Free trials)
the number of free to play players is unknown, but I guess another 10 million or even more. :classic_wink:

I don't care when TES6 is released, I'm done with Bethesda, is from my memory deleted! :classic_laugh:

Agreed. There is no way to fight against it. The players want 2005 graphics and snares. Some said in another forum that in Guild Wars 2 the battle already starts with your character slowed down, so its normal procedure in any MMO.

And in Skyrim players are content with vanilla stuff, like mods which changes Lydia voice, for example.

However, I cant stop with CK. It became my new city simulator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If what some are saying is true, and they will try to cash out with the MMO first  (to which I do not see the point since they are different player bases, single player and multiplayer...)

Then they might actually post-pone TESVI in a few years and announce a remaster of some older TES title.

After what I heard about the focus on Retardbox, I'm definitely not pre-ordering anything from Bethesda, but I haven't done it before either. Unless a game is praised by gamers in early access it's best to wait for the finished product. We don't know if it will be available for PC or even moddable. We don't even know if it will be an RPG. I'm expecting more simple rpg mechanics(if they can be more simple than Skyrim) and more sandboxing. It seems to be the trend that is going now *sadface*.

Bethesda has become more and more commercial and greedy as they are growing and being bought by Microsoft will only make things worse. TES7 will probably be a dumbed down hack-n-slash with ingame purchases. We have to wait for a new developer to get something like Skyrim again. The best games for gamers only comes during a developer's "mid-power" phase. Then they become too obsessed with profit and the love for their own product will be less important, since it's now only a means to an end. I've seen it so many times now. With Blizzard, Bioware and now Bethesda. Ironically all of them begins with a B. ?

But in all my pessimism I'm still hoping for a grand RPG adventure with a lot of depth, interesting characters and a plethora of quests, but with the same freedom and open world as Skyrim had. I also hope we'll be able to mod it to pieces on our PC. It all depends on their ambition if that dream will become reality.

I have pre-ordered only two games ever, fallout 4 & season pass, and fallout 76 tricentennial edition (at the time the source I bought from had only £5 difference between the two versions).

I have about 2k or so hours in fallout 4 and about 800 or so in 76.

Would I pre-order them now knowing what I know about both games, no I would have waited around 6-8 months for them to sort crap out, watching the game I paid £60 for pre-order drop to £40 one to two weeks after the game launch for the same thing I bought, no and no, never again, I will go back to doing my usual buying system, wait 10-12 months then buy.

Though apart from that, what two minute long trailer there has been no real comment about elder scrolls 6 or fallout 5, we may well be waiting another few years or longer for either of them, if we get them at all.

Last time i pre-ordered and wasnt disappointed was space marine as they'd put out a playable demo so i knew what i was getting but doesnt seem thats often done anymore

With beth games fallout new vegas was the last one i pre-ordered and then had day 1 falling through the floor so haven't done it with any since

I'm not going to pre-order, but then, there are very few times I ever have, really. The only time was with another franchise that is near and dear to me (since childhood)... I was promptly burned by it shortly after, of course, because who can expect genuinely good AAA games these days.

It's easy to feel tempted to pre-order when it is a series you love very much, though, so I can understand why people do it...  I just don't see it as being worth it at least with the current state of the (western) game industry.