Are you a "like" whore?

Damn......I came in here looking for whores....what a disappointment!!!!  I think this is a cruel bait and switch!!!  I'm crying foul here!!!

LOL!  

On topic......why folks care so much about what others think of them I will never understand.  Just flat out boggles my mind.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:52 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Agreed. But, I am searching for a more psychological meaning to why a person might become "addicted" to the like button- for lack of a better description. Do we want to be remembered? For posterity's sake? Or just seek equal footing among our contemporaries?

I think it is more about being accepted and people agreeing with what you have said and there is nothing else for them to add. For people giving them they can participate in a conversation by liking comments they agree with and not have to post anything.

Getting likes on a mod for me is an honor, I never set out to get them I just wanted to make something people liked and I enjoyed working on. The comments and likes just helped to keep me going sometimes when I am not feeling in the best of moods as it reminds me that what I am doing is appreciated.

Guest Katherlne

Well, i'm not a total attention whore, but... I like when someone share same opinion than mine and show support with "like". And feel a little sad when i been ignored. In that moment i think, maybe i make or say something really stupid. "What a stupid and silly bitch" - they say. And i feel i gonna never say or do something more, better if i just step aside and shut up...

p.s. theme song for this topic?

https://youtu.be/VUT_vywXHqI

You could avoid being a whore by being a know it all. Sure you might lose friends but then you could use that knowledge to become a rich snob and get snobby new friends. Actually even then, you would still be a whore. Society by its very nature makes you a whore. You play by society's rules or society fucks you up and remember

10dc76a34b2d42839fc3b41bb1b0c50d--scary-PIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!

Since i trust this community enough, i'll make a confession: my only "weak" point i actually care about is not to be considered stupid. Stupidity is something i can't stand with other people and i don't want to be one of "them". ;) I don't care much about pretty much everything else... i don't have the claim to be a good person. If you consider & call me an asshole, you're probably right and i'm totally fine with that.

The second point is that there are only few humans i care about, including their opinion. Which means on the other hand, for most people even calling me stupid is no big deal because if i don't even care if they die, why should i care what they think? I've heard a sentence once that hits the nail: "I decide who offends me, not the other way around."

Nevertheless, i enjoy a like, too. It means i was helpful or entertaining and made someones day a little better, something i don't always want to do but if i can with little effort... maybe i'm not as much an asshole like i pretend to be. ;)

For upvotes... especially for mods i like i always hope i don't forget to give them a like. Often i make the effort to go to the thread and tell them that i do, though.

No. I've learned to hate the subliminal obligation to give tit for tat that comes of it, e.g. the illusive snowball effect in the image sections of large gaming sites that makes trivial stuff easily look awesome when your snow flake party is only large enough and the mutual endorsing takes it course. Since Morrowind 2002 I upload snapshots and over the time I started wondering whether my Oblivion char of 2006 was really rank 3 in the Nexus popularity in the years that lead to Skyrim or my fan club just worked more effectively than others. Whatever, since Skyrim I don't endorse anybody in the screenshot section there and in the Bethesda Forums anymore, I just throw my stuff in when in the mood and leave it at that. See, gone are the days of glory, proof of the effectiveness of the snow avalanche. Today, me is as important in the scene as a sack of beans and there are a great many sacks of beans out there. The advantage, however, is not just that I'm one with myself and totally stress free, but I can identify a fuckin' bait endorsement by fishing image makers in no time... and their name is Legion.

On 08/12/2017 at 4:11 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

How much do you really care what people on the internet think of you?

I fail to see in what liking to be appreciated has anything to do with being a whore :

— Being a whore is selling oneself to the most offering.

— Caring about the appreciation of the others is being narcissic.

Those are two very different things.

I think you're not the only one which would confuse the two though, due to the web slang « attention whore ». Which is also different, and defined by trying to keep the attention of others centered on oneself.

That being said..

Spoiler

please like this comment and suscribe to my facebook/twitch/tweeter/google+ account yeah. :mrgreen:

I don't really care about likes, but sometimes I won't share my opinion on something because it would get my post removed. Or it would start a shitstorm. Like politics and shit. There's always gonna be that one guy who's like "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU say that you son of a bitch, I'll beat your ass with my authentic Japanese katana that I bought for 10 bucks".

Internet 'likes' are just another facet of a modern age that I haven't really embraced, and

never will. I'll give them out to others, on the assumption that it it means something to them,

but any bolstering of my self-esteem is purely based on personal satisfaction with my own

accomplishments. Generally speaking, if you don't like me or what I've done -Fuck You  ;)

So "likes" are overrated or unnecessary according to some. Since they meant to do or type whatever regardless of how anyone reacts to it. Still others contend that someone liking their statement or opinion is a way to feel appreciated without the party giving the endorsement having to actually respond with a post. Do you think it should be anonymous? Would it be better as a mystery of whom agrees with or favors you or someone else with the "like"?

Another popular association with the "like" button seems to be reputation. Does anyone feel that the more endorsements given to them, the more their status in a community grows? Or is this overshadowed by a person's post tally? I have read some people's statement in another forum or two that they will not respond to anyone with less than x amount posts- which seems kinda silly to me.

Now both these questions are geared more for casual browsers that have not contributed any work or mods to the community because those that do develop and share their work- I would assume- would rather their work/mod get the attention. So, anonymous or no? And, are "likes" a measure of reputation within a community?

On 8.12.2017 at 5:11 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

In other words, dear readers, does the "like" button serve any useful purpose for you? Are you afraid to be wrong or not liked?

Have a very finnish-level honest answer: Yes. and No for that last.

And a little longer, detailed wall of text. I like seeing numbers if i make a supposedly stylish image, be it art (which i haven't done in a while) or artistic screenshot. It means i'm doing something right/someone likes "my stuff".

However, i don't care much about if someone "agrees" with random comments i make. Be it a drama-spawning post about keeping character(s) private or having a political opinion.

I, generally, don't use social media much. I have a Facebook, but rarely post anything but music videos from YouTube on it. I don't have a Twitter or an Instagram or anything of the such.

Twitch is pretty much my only social site I use actively, and that's not really about likes.

On 12/7/2017 at 10:44 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

I get that. But what do you do when it goes the other way from like? Does that bother you?

well as it is none of my stuff on youtube has likes or dislikes so no clue on that, as for here no idea some stuff got likes and others not so much but no one has said outright they don't like it, and for real life no one has been that mean to me as of yet to just tell me they don't like me although I would welcome that, nothing upsets me quite as much as wasting time friending/trying to get with someone who doesn't like you.

7 hours ago, Fluttershy's Pet said:

well as it is none of my stuff on youtube has likes or dislikes so no clue on that, as for here no idea some stuff got likes and others not so much but no one has said outright they don't like it, and for real life no one has been that mean to me as of yet to just tell me they don't like me although I would welcome that, nothing upsets me quite as much as wasting time friending/trying to get with someone who doesn't like you.

You value sincerity even though it might be a harsh criticism about you or your stuff. I agree. Way too many backstabbers that smile to your face and wait for you to trip up. An honest, but, fair critique of you or your work is respected- if not always liked or agreed with. Funny thing about life is that it is the assholes that one remembers most- especially when they hit close to "home".

I think it can be nice to feel noticed by having a like or two on a comment/post, but I actually get uncomfortable if I feel like there's too much attention paid to something I said. I'd say my threshold is around 4 likes.

I've only made one mod but I'm always taken aback when I look at the number of downloads/thanks/etc. that it has. It's nowhere near the level that many other mods are, but I'm still nervous knowing that there's even a small following of people keeping tabs on it. A few people have even personally messaged me to tell me it's their favorite, which sparked a flipping of emotions from "Yay!!" to "OH NO" in my mind, lmao. 
Ultimately, it matters to me that others are actually enjoying it, and that's why I put it out there anyway. I try to enthusiastically encourage comments/criticism, despite my anxiety over it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 12:51 AM, a_robot said:

but what i really like is responses, because that's real attention and real interaction with real people

This^

The soapbox was never my thing. At parties while some vie for the attention, I prefer to quietly move through the room, and engage people in a more personal conversation. My mom took photo classes and she always wanted to shoot pictures... I let her have her fun. I played bass in bands, dressed crazy with wild hair, but that stayed on the stage - can I get you a beer?

I'm not shy, but unless I have a reason to make myself heard, it's usually pretty quite around here. People like you or they don't, and we go about our business. I don't need some digital voting system integrated with my life. People have mouths and keyboards, enabling specific direction with their communication.

Call me old fashioned, but a like button seems like a lazy and impersonal way of connecting. I guess it's fine if that's all you have, it's that important to you, and the result actually matters (which strangely enough, it can given the current state of perception). We'd think the recent Rotten Tomatoes fiasco shows how skewed an impersonal system can be and why any type of dignity given to such a system should be beneath us.

Afraid to be wrong? Nope, I want to know when I'm wrong so I can self correct, and not offer what ever was wrong back to the public. They deserve truth. I'm part of that public.

The word 'forums' describes something we as a culture have embraced for quite some time, and I just don't think a clicky-click makes up for what is lost.

But take my opinion lightly, as I'd ban any kind of ranking system from public endeavors that only promote celebrity and poor moral choices over worthwhile contribution and reasons for possible advancement within an organisation.