Are you a "like" whore?

How much do you really care what people on the internet think of you? Will you change your opinion or change something at the drop of a bad review or disagreement? Do you constantly check your profile to see who might have agreed with you on something? Is the Internet a popularity contest that you think you might "win"? I, myself, like to think I am unaffected. But being honest, it does matter to me some. Does it to you? I usually favor substance over form or style, but, I do find that being agreed with- or not- is enlightening and a good way to gauge people out there....in the dark recesses of the net, from the far corners of the world or from those that live a short distance from you. Finding your place or where you fit in is very much on ppl's minds at least some of the time. Does someone "liking" your opinion or info on something- or mod for that matter- mean that much where fame or fortune is not (usually) supposed to be involved......like on this site? And which part of what you "say" or make do ppl like? Most posts contain several points at least. So is it just a general "Hey, I like every damn thing you say"? Or is it more like "Wow, I'm glad you mentioned that!" kind of thing? And mods, well endorsements are always nice- so the why is a moot point. In other words, dear readers, does the "like" button serve any useful purpose for you? Are you afraid to be wrong or not liked?

36 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

I'll admit I do enjoy getting like votes on sites like this, even if they have no real material value. Don't think I'd consider myself a like whore though, as I don't normally alter my behavior or content just to encourage more votes.

Good on you! What would you say the real appeal is though? Is it acceptance? Recognition from same minded individuals? Simple appreciation? Whom would you consider your peers? My 500th post btw. Not sure why that is such a big deal.

The very few instances something will get a +1 from me is if it contains the appropriate context to whatever the relevant topic is, whether I like it or not as a matter of opinion is utterly irrelevant. 

If you need little green number to validate your existence as an entity, there should be counseling in your future.

As for mods, +1 is used to say whether or not the mod in question as the author intended, and whether or not the author has kept and maintained their ->work<-, not someone else's work they're currently using to get patreon money with by "borrowing" it for their "mod".

Pictures, it has to be something off the beaten path (pun fully intended) or clever use of existing IN GAME assets and if your pic contains the same poses at the same angle with the same enb or the same tired ass color grading and photoshop slathered all over it, I'm not even going to bother looking at it long enough to give it a rating of any kind.

2 minutes ago, darkconsole said:

yes every like is akin to a warm little hug

Agreed. But, I am searching for a more psychological meaning to why a person might become "addicted" to the like button- for lack of a better description. Do we want to be remembered? For posterity's sake? Or just seek equal footing among our contemporaries?

Nope. Simple likes and endorsements are meaningless. I have never in my life asked for endorsements in both my ports and original mods. I understand using an endorsement rating to qualify a mod but people who beg for endorsements/likes and who get pissy when they dont get are just baffling to me. Ive seen drama be created from a lack of endorsements/likes on images too. So many users in the FO4 image section have said something along the lines of "This is my last image upload due to lack of endorsements." I feel that the most meaningful sort of attention for me is a personal message telling me how much they enjoyed my mod. No need to be public and no need to show it via a cumulative tally. Similarluly, "upvoting" comments is equally baffling. It took me more than a year to realize that lovers lab had an upvote feature.

I've seen and heard people trying to perfectly time their mod uploads in hopes that theyll reach a large crowd and get hot files. I guess to each their own when it comes to online attention but it eventually becomes strangely obsessive. And I dont mean to criticize people who love this but it also surprises me that the same approach is being applied to when it comes to donations. I would assume they have some kind of financial hardship if they ask for donations in this sense but....why not just stop playing games and get your finances in order? I tell people to donate to animal shelters if they feel inclined to donate to me. Nothing wrong with receiving donations but blatantly asking for it is weird to me. To me, it's as if Kim Kardashian was asking for donations. People's financial situations could be different i understand. But i also understand that we all have some sort of privilege from the fact that 100% of players here and on Nexus have access to internet, a gaming console/computer, and time to play video games.

And to answer your question if I'm personally a like whore, I would say yes when it comes to Facebook, Instagram, and Naver. So I'm not free from my own criticisms I just made.

34 minutes ago, 27X said:

The very few instances something will get a +1 from me is if it contains the appropriate context to whatever the relevant topic is, whether I like it or not as a matter of opinion is utterly irrelevant. 

If you need little green number to validate your existence as an entity, there should be counseling in your future.

As for mods, +1 is used to say whether or not the mod in question as the author intended, and whether or not the author has kept and maintained their ->work<-, not someone else's work they're currently using to get patreon money with by "borrowing" it for their "mod".

Pictures, it has to be something off the beaten path (pun fully intended) or clever use of existing IN GAME assets and if your pic contains the same poses at the same angle with the same enb or the same tired ass color grading and photoshop slathered all over it, I'm not even going to bother looking at it long enough to give it a rating of any kind.

I understand your point. I usually give an "E" for effort. Especially if a mod or other is somewhat original. I'm not sure that accusing someone of plagiarism is relevant, though. That seems to be a subject for another thread.:)

Not particularly... I don't really like people or care enough to care if they like what I say/do. I "like" things on here because a.) I find it funny, or b.) I think the post/picture is nice enough that I may wish to come back to it later... or I did, then the site removed the feature to see what you upvoted, and that fucking sucks.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Good on you! What would you say the real appeal is though? Is it acceptance? Recognition from same minded individuals? Simple appreciation? Whom would you consider your peers? My 500th post btw. Not sure why that is such a big deal.

I think its mostly just the warm feeling of seeing there are other people out there that like my creations/opinions. Among other things I like to code/mod yet live in Missouri, USA. Thus finding local people who share my interests can often feel like trying to find a fellow ice sculptor in the Sahara Desert :P

So it feels quite nice knowing I made one of the top 10 mods for Divinity: Original Sin on the Nexus. Or that there were at least a few grateful fans of the Dogmeat equippable multi-skin mod I made for Fallout 4.

And yes, I do have self-promotion issues. But then again I wouldn't expect donations for the mod content I've made and why would a modder even bother publicly releasing their work if they didn't at least have a small desire for attention?

29 minutes ago, SunJeong said:

Nope. Simple likes and endorsements are meaningless. I have never in my life asked for endorsements in both my ports and original mods. I understand using an endorsement rating to qualify a mod but people who beg for endorsements/likes and who get pissy when they dont get are just baffling to me. Ive seen drama be created from a lack of endorsements/likes on images too. So many users in the FO4 image section have said something along the lines of "This is my last image upload due to lack of endorsements." I feel that the most meaningful sort of attention for me is a personal message telling me how much they enjoyed my mod. No need to be public and no need to show it via a cumulative tally. Similarluly, "upvoting" comments is equally baffling. It took me more than a year to realize that lovers lab had an upvote feature.

I've seen and heard people trying to perfectly time their mod uploads in hopes that theyll reach a large crowd and get hot files. I guess to each their own when it comes to online attention but it eventually becomes strangely obsessive. And I dont mean to criticize people who love this but it also surprises me that the same approach is being applied to when it comes to donations. I would assume they have some kind of financial hardship if they ask for donations in this sense but....why not just stop playing games and get your finances in order? I tell people to donate to animal shelters if they feel inclined to donate to me. Nothing wrong with receiving donations but blatantly asking for it is weird to me. To me, it's as if Kim Kardashian was asking for donations. People's financial situations could be different i understand. But i also understand that we all have some sort of privilege from the fact that 100% of players here and on Nexus have access to internet, a gaming console/computer, and time to play video games.

So..it's attention that people crave or money? I can see that. But, don't we all covet a like or two on something- especially when we put time and effort into something? I upload images and do get a little pissed when fewer ppl endorse it than I expected. But, through this I also learn what to expect more or less for anything else I do. I have heard mod authors complain about endorsements- as you say. I guess it boils down to a show of appreciation. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the person saying or doing something is being endorsed more than what they actually did or said. Is it a vote for you? Or your hard work? And if it is not for praise or money, then why do it? True humanitarians are all but extinct in this day and age.

BTW- had to endorse your statement regardless of your position on the subject because it was intuitive.

Personally I use to care what people thought about me, now not so much, I learned a while ago that I need to be happy with what it is before I care if people like it. Like the stuff I put on youtube as I can't anymore(thanks windows 10 for taking the one thing I used away) anyway now I can't put my song on youtube without spending money, at least I have not found a video software I like, use to use windows movie maker but yea that is gone, as I was saying though, none of those have a like so I learned that I shouldn't care as long as I am happy with it.

15 minutes ago, GimmeBACON said:

Not particularly... I don't really like people or care enough to care if they like what I say/do. I "like" things on here because a.) I find it funny, or b.) I think the post/picture is nice enough that I may wish to come back to it later... or I did, then the site removed the feature to see what you upvoted, and that fucking sucks.

LOL! You almost made me choke on my drink!:)

it's a tough question.  Humans are social creatures by nature, so some degree of desire for acceptance or belonging is natural and normal.

Me personally... other peoples' opinions don't mean as much to me as it does for many people.  I think it's having been around long enough to realize that doing what's right and being true to yourself is more important on all psychological and spiritual levels than being a sheep.  I've been around the internet long enough to realize just what a mirage alot of it is too.  People let you see what they want you to see, rarely what they truly are.

As far as likes and download totals...  I've posted here before that modding work has to be primarily done for your own self satisfaction.  Human nature being what it is, it's natural to care a little about how well your work does though.  Yeah, it bothers me A LITTLE when I see my highly detailed broadswords mod losing out badly in DL totals to the 10 thousandth bikini mod to be released or the worst done version of an AK-47 I've ever seen.  The ones for Fallout 4 are done WAY better, LOL.  Am I going to let it ruin my day though? Hell no.  Life's too short to worry about something so ultimately meaningless.

As far as SunJeong's comment about modders apparently all being as wealthy as Kim Kardasian...  That's insulting to say the least.   By the logic presented, people have no right to believe their time and effort is worth any money.  I don't charge or ask donations for my mods.  That's my CHOICE, just like asking for a VOLUNTARY contribution is the choice of others.  As for the time to mod video games, for some of us it's a sacrifice of precious little time between work, family and other obligations.  Instead of judging, you should be grateful people aren't charging for their time.

8 minutes ago, Fluttershy's Pet said:

Personally I use to care what people thought about me, now not so much, I learned a while ago that I need to be happy with what it is before I care if people like it. Like the stuff I put on youtube as I can't anymore(thanks windows 10 for taking the one thing I used away) anyway now I can't put my song on youtube without spending money, at least I have not found a video software I like, use to use windows movie maker but yea that is gone, as I was saying though, none of those have a like so I learned that I shouldn't care as long as I am happy with it.

But, your sharing it in the hopes that some people will like it, right?

28 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

So..it's attention that people crave or money? I can see that. But, don't we all covet a like or two on something- especially when we put time and effort into something? I upload images and do get a little pissed when fewer ppl endorse it than I expected. But, through this I also learn what to expect more or less for anything else I do. I have heard mod authors complain about endorsements- as you say. I guess it boils down to a show of appreciation. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the person saying or doing something is being endorsed more than what they actually did or said. Is it a vote for you? Or your hard work? And if it is not for praise or money, then why do it? True humanitarians are all but extinct in this day and age.

BTW- had to endorse your statement regardless of your position on the subject because it was intuitive.

Im constantly seeing the question: why mod then?

Maybe I have a more easy going view of modding but it's simple: You do it because you love it right? People learn to mod to produce content they want and then decide to release it to others OR to learn certain softwares and such. Do either cases really warrant solicitating for internet fame? If the mod youre doing was a request then yes, a thank you for your hard work is in order. If you mod solely for the attention and the fame then....I have nothing to say to that and you do you. Just be prepared for disappointments if you dont get it.

But just do it out of the kindness of your heart. Youll save yourself disappointment and having such kindness will be reflected in your other actions.

i.e. I work in nursing. My typical shift is 10 hours but sometimes stay for longer because I choose to and people's well being are on stake. What if I say: Fuck these patients they aren't paying me enough to stay extra. So should I just leave them? I mean I can leave since my shift is over, I'm not obligated to stay longer but why do I do it? Because it makes people happy. You make their lives that much more enjoyable. Similarly wit h modding, you just made their gaming experience a little more enjoyable and that's enough for me to continue even if I get few endorsements i.e. no pay.

19 minutes ago, Shadowhawk827 said:

it's a tough question.  Humans are social creatures by nature, so some degree of desire for acceptance or belonging is natural and normal.

Me personally... other peoples' opinions don't mean as much to me as it does for many people.  I think it's having been around long enough to realize that doing what's right and being true to yourself is more important on all psychological and spiritual levels than being a sheep.  I've been around the internet long enough to realize just what a mirage alot of it is too.  People let you see what they want you to see, rarely what they truly are.

As far as likes and download totals...  I've posted here before that modding work has to be primarily done for your own self satisfaction.  Human nature being what it is, it's natural to care a little about how well your work does though.  Yeah, it bothers me A LITTLE when I see my highly detailed broadswords mod losing out badly in DL totals to the 10 thousandth bikini mod to be released or the worst done version of an AK-47 I've ever seen.  The ones for Fallout 4 are done WAY better, LOL.  Am I going to let it ruin my day though? Hell no.  Life's too short to worry about something so ultimately meaningless.

As far as SunJeong's comment about modders apparently all being as wealthy as Kim Kardasian...  That's insulting to say the least.   By the logic presented, people have no right to believe their time and effort is worth any money.  I don't charge or ask donations for my mods.  That's my CHOICE, just like asking for a VOLUNTARY contribution is the choice of others.  As for the time to mod video games, for some of us it's a sacrifice of precious little time between work, family and other obligations.  Instead of judging, you should be grateful people aren't charging for their time.

I suppose for some that, appreciation may not be enough. Believe me when I say that I could use every dime someone might contribute. But, I will never ask. I'm not sure if that is pride or just a strong sense of independence. I do, however, want to be appreciated a little when I put some work into something and share. I can only imagine the work put into some mods I use. I actually introduced a thread some time back to encourage people to stop whining about mods and try to endorse/support mod authors more. Got about 5 responses.

39 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

But, your sharing it in the hopes that some people will like it, right?

not really it is more for my style of things to be out there, I am not very creative as some people I know but I know that I like music a certain way and if people like it then cool if not oh well, to me it is more important that I am happy with what I am doing with my time.

1 hour ago, SunJeong said:

Im constantly seeing the question: why mod then?

Maybe I have a more easy going view of modding but it's simple: You do it because you love it right? People learn to mod to produce content they want and then decide to release it to others OR to learn certain softwares and such. Do either cases really warrant solicitating for internet fame? If the mod youre doing was a request then yes, a thank you for your hard work is in order. If you mod solely for the attention and the fame then....I have nothing to say to that and you do you. Just be prepared for disappointments if you dont get it.

But just do it out of the kindness of your heart. Youll save yourself disappointment and having such kindness will be reflected in your other actions.

i.e. I work in nursing. My typical shift is 10 hours but sometimes stay for longer because I choose to and people's well being are on stake. What if I say: Fuck these patients they aren't paying me enough to stay extra. So should I just leave them? I mean I can leave since my shift is over, I'm not obligated to stay longer but why do I do it? Because it makes people happy. You make their lives that much more enjoyable. Similarly wit h modding, you just made their gaming experience a little more enjoyable and that's enough for me to continue even if I get few endorsements i.e. no pay.

Well, I already kinda knew that about you. You seem to be answering to a higher power and I salute that. But to say that you do not want more recognition for your work as a nurse or for your mods is a little unbelievable. You want it, just to a lesser degree than most perhaps. Or is it just the joy of knowing others are benefiting from your benevolence? If so, that is very kind of you.

There is one or two(actually many more) on the other site that I KNOW do what they do only for endorsements, ect. It's ridiculous how they churn out the same exact shit over and over. Their fans just lap it up.

20 minutes ago, Fluttershy's Pet said:

not really it is more for my style of things to be out there, I am not very creative as some people I know but I know that I like music a certain way and if people like it then cool if not oh well, to me it is more important that I am happy with what I am doing with my time.

I get that. But what do you do when it goes the other way from like? Does that bother you?

No. As long as you're honest to yourself and truly believe in the words you put out, it doesn't really matter if anyone else is going to like it. Of course, finding a person that shares the same opinion as you will surely give you a smile and a tiny 'ego' boost.. But is it something I worry or think about enough to make me a ''like whore''? Nope. Never.