What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Try defining it before even trying to reach it before dying of old age.

Easy. Complete satisfaction with everything in one's life- minus the obsessive/compulsive tweaking we do of course. I'm still trying to obtain and then put things in order, let alone do any tweaking, lol. :smirk:

43 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Easy. Complete satisfaction with everything in one's life- minus the obsessive/compulsive tweaking we do of course. I'm still trying to obtain and then put things in order, let alone do any tweaking, lol. :smirk:

The point is to never stand still, there's a reason why life is often called a "journey". Perfection cannot be achieved, perfection is infinity. End of history illusion is what causes us all to start obsessing over things when things aren't turning out the way we want them to.

"The world is a very big place. You gotta ask yourself what you want in life but there is no one answer, so find your own and don't be afraid of change." as my mom would say every time i felt like i lost sight.

I realize why I take so long to complete many games. It's because it takes so long to make them.

People waited how long for Cyberpunk? The Outer Worlds?    I recently bought both of those in December for my 'Xmas' presents to self, along with a few other titles. Those 2 mentioned I have completed and am looking at my backlog to see what else I can play. Others I milked over many months like the newest Tomb Raider and Devil May Cry I finished to make 'room' as I found I was almost done with them already.

While some games have repeat playability - or new mods being made, it's never the same as that first time - at least for me, as I don't spoil my experience by following games, reviews, let's play's, or really any other hype before I get my hands on it so it's an unopened book, ready to explore on my own terms, without prejudice or preconceptions. If someone tells you something is bad, most dread taking that first bite. If someone tells you it's good - it's easy to find disappointment.

I still have a few 'long' games to finish, like Mordor: Shadow or War, and others to keep me interested. Yet still, I try to keep the experiences I enjoy lasting awhile as the NEW ones I find interesting take longer and longer to release. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I tried to make that last as long as possible. Some New Game plus options make all that 'work' pay off on a replay which doesn't task a player with doing all that 'grinding' again.

Metro Exodus is another. I couldn't stop playing it, and now, probably 1/2 way thru the Sam's Story DLC have been able to give it a rest.

I don't watch TV anymore - been many years. If there is anything I want to see (rarely) I just binge stream it and done. So games are the entertainment I find myself with most of the time, and it's sad when they finally come to a close.

I really don't know how to start this conversation without people being upset but since people are already upset I might as well go ahead. I went back to the Fallout New Vegas modding scene recently where I saw the Frontier mod was blocked at the modding website that shalt not be named. Since a cut version was released looking back at the controversy was interesting if a bit disturbing but those are just feelings. Perhaps mine perhaps somebody else's. I figure I might as well give my two cents. First was the sex scene with the death claw which sounds right at home for a Fallout game next to a butt fisting robot. The scene with AMERICA was uncomfortable to say the least but it isn't the first fiction with illustrated child slavery and it certainly won't be the last. Lastly one of the artist's deviantart page was full of the nasty but well that's deviantart for ya.

I guess in the grand scheme of things bad PR wins the day. I wouldn't hold it against the creators for cutting their content as it was their decision and their mod. What are your guys' thoughts?

I would say it was best to remove that stuff because this mod/project what ever you want to call, it was catered to an audience that doesn't necessarily care about that type of stuff. So having that content in there was only obvious it would upset the vast majority of those people. You have to be dumb to have want to include that type of content in your mod and think you could get away with it without any repercussions. they should have curated it before publicly releasing it. I'm sure other teams out there will learn from this mistake. Either way, I really don't care because FNV is about as dead to me as FO3. I was still around when this project was initiated. But I never cared about it. The scandal was entertaining at the very least.

1 hour ago, endgame † addiction said:

I would say it was best to remove that stuff because this mod/project what ever you want to call, it was catered to an audience that doesn't necessarily care about that type of stuff. So having that content in there was only obvious it would upset the vast majority of those people. You have to be dumb to have want to include that type of content in your mod and think you could get away with it without any repercussions. they should have curated it before publicly releasing it. I'm sure other teams out there will learn from this mistake. Either way, I really don't care because FNV is about as dead to me as FO3. I was still around when this project was initiated. But I never cared about it. The scandal was entertaining at the very least.

Fallout much like Skyrim is at least to me is part mad science project and part um mad science. Alas It has been entertaining.

What I meant was in traditional gender roles. Now that those roles are redefined and not gender specific at all, their position as the "most" victimized and holding the moral high ground is gone. Don't like how you're treated as a woman? Become a fucking man and reap the benefits of male privilege! Then they'll walk in our shoes and see for themselves just how much "privilege" they gain. Of course they already know this, so they're stuck where they are. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

What I meant was in traditional gender roles. Now that those roles are redefined and not gender specific at all, their position as the "most" victimized and holding the moral high ground is gone. Don't like how you're treated as a woman? Become a fucking man and reap the benefits of male privilege! Then they'll walk in our shoes and see for themselves just how much "privilege" they gain. Of course they already know this, so they're stuck where they are. :classic_biggrin:

I don't dispute your point but I remain confused on proper "woke" terminology. My daughter (good liberal  that she is) explained that "gender" is socially defined. So a man who behaves as a female, acts like a female and is treated as a female has a "female gender role". She (using proper terminology) is still biologically male (even if she has surgery and takes hormones). So, while I understand and agree (that is I think I understand and agree) with you I believe you could have been a little more precise in your use of terms.

On the other hand, from my perspective (certainly not my daughter's) our society is in a race for the bottom. I don't mean this as a moral statement (although it could be one too) I mean that everyone wants to be perceived as the greatest victim. Gone are the days of glorifying success and wealth; today all the attention (and government largesse) goes to those who "have been oppressed." 

This holds true in medicine (and I suspect other sciences) as well. If you invent (or redefine) a syndrome/disease and get the government to recognize it as a disability then the incidence of said syndrome/disease increases exponentially (while I could cite specific examples I won't since that is likely to offend someone specifically, as opposed to my current statement which will only offends generally). If you want to know why things happen (in science or society as a whole) follow the money. As long as we pay people to fail (poor victims that they are) there will be more and more failures (and victims which is what some people appear to want).

37 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I don't dispute your point but I remain confused on proper "woke" terminology. My daughter (good liberal  that she is) explained that "gender" is socially defined. So a man who behaves as a female, acts like a female and is treated as a female has a "female gender role". She (using proper terminology) is still biologically male (even if she has surgery and takes hormones). So, while I understand and agree (that is I think I understand and agree) with you I believe you could have been a little more precise in your use of terms.

On the other hand, from my perspective (certainly not my daughter's) our society is in a race for the bottom. I don't mean this as a moral statement (although it could be one too) I mean that everyone wants to be perceived as the greatest victim. Gone are the days of glorifying success and wealth; today all the attention (and government largesse) goes to those who "have been oppressed." 

This holds true in medicine (and I suspect other sciences) as well. If you invent (or redefine) a syndrome/disease and get the government to recognize it as a disability then the incidence of said syndrome/disease increases exponentially (while I could cite specific examples I won't since that is likely to offend someone specifically, as opposed to my current statement which will only offends generally). If you want to know why things happen (in science or society as a whole) follow the money. As long as we pay people to fail (poor victims that they are) there will be more and more failures (and victims which is what some people appear to want).

Some good points there, Psalam.

As far as gender goes, I stick with nature. There are two so that gives you four options - none, female, male or both. All the rest of it is just Western decadence and screwed up people. I often wonder how big of an issue cross-dressing is to Inuits, Lapps, Nenets etc., or the various inhabitants of the equatorial belt who run around in the bollocky-buff.

49 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I mean that everyone wants to be perceived as the greatest victim.

I'm a victim of not having anything to be a victim about. The best I can do is being left-handed in a right-handed world.

51 minutes ago, Psalam said:

This holds true in medicine (and I suspect other sciences) as well. If you invent (or redefine) a syndrome/disease and get the government to recognize it as a disability then the incidence of said syndrome/disease increases exponentially (while I could cite specific examples I won't since that is likely to offend someone specifically, as opposed to my current statement which will only offends generally). If you want to know why things happen (in science or society as a whole) follow the money.

That in a nutshell is the story of AGW. A bandwagon being pulled by a cash-cow.

7 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Have you heard of this youtuber called Mr. Beast?

I am sure there are plenty of exceptions that prove the rule. There are plenty of preachers still in the Church of Prosperity as well. What I decry is that American society as a whole has come to glorify victims (dare I say losers) instead of people who go out, work their asses off and make something for themselves and their families. No, those people are "rich" and are rightly taxed and made to feel guilty about those who find that sort of lifestyle (work hard and play by the rules) to "just not be right for them."

3 hours ago, Psalam said:

I don't dispute your point but I remain confused on proper "woke" terminology.

The way i see it, when someone denies facts and evidence for the sake of earning cheap victim points and/or to reassure their unfounded reasonings they can be safely considered "woke". The term itself has largely lost it's meaning due to overuse and inaccurate applications (think of the word "snowflake" for example) but the original characteristics of unreasonable extrapolations is the primary indicator for the "woke" criteria. I prefer to not use the term anymore, i just use "idiot" now because it's simple, clear, direct and needs no explanation by itself.

22 minutes ago, Psalam said:

What I decry is that American society as a whole has come to glorify victims (dare I say losers) instead of people who go out, work their asses off and make something for themselves and their families.

It'll collapse from infighting as everyone tries to be the bigger victim. The "movement" never had any clear focus or direction to begin with other than orange man bad. Now that it's done, they'll turn on each other. What I was pointing out were some of the first signs of this. On top of that, the party that they supported is turning their back on them because they were just a means to an end- a tool to be discarded once it's usefulness was spent. They played right into the hands of the people they should have been against all along and some of them are slowly starting to realize that.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Otaku said:

The way i see it

I appreciate your perspective and certainly understand why you might feel that way. On the other hand, I prefer not to be intentionally insulting or hurtful. I have genuinely tried to understand the perspective of "woke" people but I'm afraid all that I've managed to clearly understand is that they have "feelings" about things and the "feelings" of the oppressed are more important than the "feelings" of others. So, I'll try to avoid using flagrantly disrespectful language while trying to get a better handle on this Victimism (meant to be viewed as analogous to racism and sexism).

12 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

some of them are slowly starting to realize that

I can only hope so. I'll believe when, in the course of the pendulum of social mores swinging, the terms that are so powerful in our society now become the butt of popular jokes. Note the emphasis on popular.

14 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I appreciate your perspective and certainly understand why you might feel that way. On the other hand, I prefer not to be intentionally insulting or hurtful. I have genuinely tried to understand the perspective of "woke" people but I'm afraid all that I've managed to clearly understand is that they have "feelings" about things and the "feelings" of the oppressed are more important than the "feelings" of others. So, I'll try to avoid using flagrantly disrespectful language while trying to get a better handle on this Victimism (meant to be viewed as analogous to racism and sexism).

Of course we shouldn't be intentionally insulting and hurtful, i was just making a general statement that when someone denies evidence for the sake of their own perceived morals and unfounded opinions (or feelings if you will) they can be safely considered "woke" hence an "idiot". I don't have to call someone an idiot directly, i can just provide counterarguments that make their positions look idiotic.

But i've largely stopped using terms like "woke" now due to the fact that many of the people who are quick to call out "wokeness" are themselves quite the reactionary idiots devoid of any introspection. In cases it is justified, but in many cases it's not and i'm not comfortable beating that drum so to speak.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, Mr. Otaku said:

there's a reason why life is often called a "journey"

Yes, but there are times we must pause to enjoy a special moment or scene along the path. )