Jump to content
GimmeBACON

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

The release of Cyber Punk 2077 got me thinking about other similar Cyber Punk setting and the themes explored through them. That in turn set me to ruminating over all of the science fiction that precedes it and their visions of the future, both optimistic and pessimistic.

Doing so once again let me better appreciate the ones which did not stray too hard towards utopian or dystopian visions while also providing entertainment of its own kind when considering those visions of digital El Dorados or Hell.exe which were too out-of-sync with real world science and even basic mammalian psychology.

 

Seeing the notion that the average work week of the future would be reduced to a few hours just because of the invention and implementation of labor saving devices into work places being bandied about in the Jetsons was just precious. I'd take that kind of wide eyed positivity over the delusional assertion that every other person from any other group who is not in total agreement with one's own group will inevitably try to wipe it out (if for no other reason than that type of fiction has been so very overused of late. It is never couched in a riveting narrative of any kind, either).

 

I wonder which current bit of fear mongering in fiction set in the future will become the new Soylent Green, The Day After Tomorrow or The Stepford Wives. 

 

Link to post

I just picked up Death Stranding - on sale 50% off. Having completed a Cyberpunk 2077 play through and decided to take a chance.

 

I was hesitant because: Fuckin' internet and Youtube stupidity - so tired of everyone shitting on stuff because it doesn't fit nicely into their own little box, and the others whom jump on the train for clicks.....

 

Now I got that out of my system, yeah I'm liking it a LOT. Without spoilers I'll say the graphics are very impressive. the 5 or so characters whom use real life people got passed the uncanny valley and are 98% photo real. The environment is well done - the story reminds me of something else (a cgi movie I've seen). I started play offline, but after a while I decided to go online and it turned out to be a good decision or my experience would have been completely different (increasing 'difficulty' and/or time to do 'things').

 

After shutting it down and reflecting on what the game shows me, I realized what I've been doing is probably the most clever thing in a while. A walking simulator? Please......

 

Kojima has given me the most discussed and used tropes in the video game industry, wrapped them in a new package and made them interesting and fun. I was engaging in everything people complain about in games without realizing it, and it kinda blew my mind.

 

Cut Scenes - Normally I get annoyed with long cut-scenes, but here they feel absolutely necessary.

Fetch/Delivery Quests - Who doesn't like these? Everybody it would seem - yet here they are the means and not the end.

Crafting - Yep don't forget to craft stuff to help the game experience.

Gathering - This is incorporated in a way that also feels organic and not so much grind like.

 

I'm not far enough along (somewhere near the end of Act 3 I'd guess) to know everything the game has to offer, but the so called 'walking' part is designed so travel is something the player must take seriously, and can have serious effects on a players success. Balance, route selection, pathing, and several other objects or strategies will also have a direct effect of a players experience. I would say 'simulation' perhaps best describes the game, but that would be selling everything that isn't game mechanics short.

 

I picked up Metal Gear Solid 5 on extreme sale for my first Kojima title, and after one and a half hours of cut-scene induced story intro and tutorial I was more than annoyed. Why did I choose to try Death Stranding, especially with all the internet salt? Perhaps it's because I'm learning - REALLY learning - that most of the negative being spewed in reviews is nothing more than spoiled children stomping their feet and others joining in because it gets them attention as well, which ends up having absolutely NOTHING to do with reality. I guess the same goes for hype and glaring reviews of happiness. It's mostly all opinions - and you know what they say about opinions......

 

Oh, that's another one... Tutorials - Death Stranding's tutorial is so long as to not even be realized as one because the player is so caught up with being turned loose while having scripted encounters and story elements being absorbed that by the time one realized the first couple hours were indeed a tutorial, it feels more than justified. More Kojima cleverness - I'm beginning to see why this guy is venerated.

 

 

20201229125740_1.jpg.c60d8e467f516f2bec5a76c744f6eb3a.jpg

Link to post
On 12/30/2020 at 9:17 AM, landess said:

I picked up Metal Gear Solid 5 on extreme sale for my first Kojima title, and after one and a half hours of cut-scene induced story intro and tutorial I was more than annoyed. Why did I choose to try Death Stranding, especially with all the internet salt? Perhaps it's because I'm learning - REALLY learning - that most of the negative being spewed in reviews is nothing more than spoiled children stomping their feet and others joining in because it gets them attention as well, which ends up having absolutely NOTHING to do with reality. I guess the same goes for hype and glaring reviews of happiness. It's mostly all opinions - and you know what they say about opinions......

Actually if you read all the little stuff you pick up on your journey, through reflection on the past in game, Kojima and team seem to comment quite alot on current affairs and internet shenanigans by people after the Death Stranding event to figure out what was good and what wasn't so much and I find myself agreeing with most of it. It's damn interesting and I'm glad I picked the game up.

 

P.S. wait till yu discover zip-lines- that shit's a blast!

 

I'm feeling strangely optimistic about the new year. Let's hope we're not disappointed.

Link to post

I actually prefer the weapons durability in Breath of the Wild. It makes you try out every weapon of the game and forces the player to actually think about how and when to use the right weapon instead of relying on the same sword and shield for the entirety of the game. I will be genuinely upset if BOTW 2 doesn't have this feature.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Milkjetstream said:

I actually prefer the weapons durability in Breath of the Wild. It makes you try out every weapon of the game and forces the player to actually think about how and when to use the right weapon instead of relying on the same sword and shield for the entirety of the game. I will be genuinely upset if BOTW 2 doesn't have this feature.

Is that so. Well, here is something else to ponder on that particular topic as well as possibly give you a chuckle or two.

 

Link to post

The concept of Virophages is what is on my mind at the start of this new year. Rather than rely on weakened or inert forms of viruses to build up an immune response, would it not be novel to shoot oneself full of ravenous microorganisms out to eat other microscopic lifeforms that they find to treat any potential viral infections? 

Nothing could possibly go wrong with that plan, could there?

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Milkjetstream said:

I actually prefer the weapons durability in Breath of the Wild. It makes you try out every weapon of the game and forces the player to actually think about how and when to use the right weapon instead of relying on the same sword and shield for the entirety of the game. I will be genuinely upset if BOTW 2 doesn't have this feature.

I try out different weapons regardless. I used to like the durability system but not so much any more. That said It is always fun planning out your battles with limitations in mind. This is why natural health regen bugs me in videogames. With health regen you run to a corner and wait to heal. It just isn't fun. Instead they should give the player a small hand full of med kits or sprinkle them throughout the level or both. The limited med kits makes it so you have to plan out your encounters instead of going in Rambo style and it means you are actively playing the game instead of hiding in a corner.

Link to post

Speaking about durability... This clip made it's way back into my recommendations, and god damn it, I miss weapon degradation in fallout. They had it with power armor, so why not?

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, GimmeBACON said:

Speaking about durability... This clip made it's way back into my recommendations, and god damn it, I miss weapon degradation in fallout. They had it with power armor, so why not?

 

Gear Degradation was something that BGS added to the Fallout series so it was not exactly a mainstay of the series that the diehards would want to hold onto. 

Link to post
21 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

The concept of Virophages is what is on my mind at the start of this new year. Rather than rely on weakened or inert forms of viruses to build up an immune response, would it not be novel to shoot oneself full of ravenous microorganisms out to eat other microscopic lifeforms that they find to treat any potential viral infections? 

Nothing could possibly go wrong with that plan, could there?

The Brethren Moons approved this message.

Link to post
2 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Gear Degradation was something that BGS added to the Fallout series so it was not exactly a mainstay of the series that the diehards would want to hold onto. 

Perhaps, but personally I liked the degradation system as it made me feel like I was scavenging and DIY'ing my gear like an actual scavenger. Though I'd have done it a bit more like Metro Exodus's weapon repair... instead of just smashing two 10mm pistols together, take parts from one, add them to the better one, and than have the weapons degrade over use and you need to keep them in operating condition, or they'd jam, be inaccurate, etc.

 

Regardless, the spectacle of an energy weapon essentially blowing up mid-game would have been a cool feature.

Link to post
10 minutes ago, GimmeBACON said:

Perhaps, but personally I liked the degradation system as it made me feel like I was scavenging and DIY'ing my gear like an actual scavenger. Though I'd have done it a bit more like Metro Exodus's weapon repair... instead of just smashing two 10mm pistols together, take parts from one, add them to the better one, and than have the weapons degrade over use and you need to keep them in operating condition, or they'd jam, be inaccurate, etc.

 

Regardless, the spectacle of an energy weapon essentially blowing up mid-game would have been a cool feature.

If the sequel to Breath of the Wild is set in the high era of high tech for Hyrule, then you just might get to see that. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

If the sequel to Breath of the Wild is set in the high era of high tech for Hyrule, then you just might get to see that. 

BOTW has magical robots so I don't see why not. Wouldn't be surprising if some sword's enchantment exploded before it fizzled out.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

BOTW has magical robots so I don't see why not. Wouldn't be surprising if some sword's enchantment exploded before it fizzled out.

It might be interesting to see how close to a Light Saber some of the weapon designs in a possible sequel can be before Disney thinks about suing for copyright infringement. Exploding at the point of failure or flickering out might make them different enough to pass legal muster. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

It might be interesting to see how close to a Light Saber some of the weapon designs in a possible sequel can be before Disney thinks about suing for copyright infringement. Exploding at the point of failure or flickering out might make them different enough to pass legal muster. 

Darkpig not like copyright legal jargon. If Darkpig swing glorified flashlight at it will it go away?

Link to post
16 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Darkpig not like copyright legal jargon. If Darkpig swing glorified flashlight at it will it go away?

It should so long as there are no Legal Eagles lurking on adult mods sites looking for cases. 

Link to post
47 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

It should so long as there are no Legal Eagles lurking on adult mods sites looking for cases. 

No legal eagles here. Not legally anyway. How does one become legally an eagle? Is there some eagle visa you must obtain?

Link to post
34 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

No legal eagles here. Not legally anyway. How does one become legally an eagle? Is there some eagle visa you must obtain?

Self Indentification exists in a legal grey area so it might not be enough to say that one identifies as an eagle, legal or otherwise, as one may be misappropriating the culture/genetic heritage of the aquiline kind. 

Link to post
41 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Self Indentification exists in a legal grey area so it might not be enough to say that one identifies as an eagle, legal or otherwise, as one may be misappropriating the culture/genetic heritage of the aquiline kind. 

Fair enough.

 

Not being distracted by your local squirrel is harder than you think. What is so important about a squirrel you might ask? Nothing except that it is a motherfuckingsquirrel!

Link to post
1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

Fair enough.

 

Not being distracted by your local squirrel is harder than you think. What is so important about a squirrel you might ask? Nothing except that it is a motherfuckingsquirrel!

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Not being distracted by your local squirrel is harder than you think. What is so important about a squirrel you might ask? Nothing except that it is a motherfuckingsquirrel!

We've had regular visits from several squirrels in our backyard this autumn and winter, and I can totally attest that squirrels are amazeballs.

First year we've seen any whatsoever. I stand by the window every morning to see if they'll show up.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...