Jump to content
GimmeBACON

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2020 at 11:00 PM, Darkpig said:

I am slowly losing my mind. That is what is on my mind.

How can you be sure if said mind is not present for close inspection? It could just be leaves if part of it was lost outdoors or dust if it was lost indoors. 

Link to post
3 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

How can you be sure if said mind is not present for close inspection? It could just be leaves if part of it was lost outdoors or dust if it was lost indoors. 

Computers are not meant to last more than three to five years yet here my mind remains. I am as certain that my mind is going just as certain as aliens are going to probe my butt.

Link to post
On 12/11/2020 at 8:24 PM, Darkpig said:

Computers are not meant to last more than three to five years

I find computer 'lifetimes' are getting longer as technology increases begin to slow. This is also reflected in the games arena - in the past games series and studio releases were hectic to say the least, while lately many spend huge amounts of time to release the next game if trying to incorporate technical advances. Those that do not, appear to remain on schedule with close to annual releases or the more recent focus on console ports which any gaming PC can easily handle.

 

Example, If you had to upgrade to play 'Assassin's Creed Origins', that system is capable of maxing anything else being released up to this point. In the 'olden days' this wouldn't have been the case as things were moving pretty fast.

 

I'm sure most are familiar with the term "Moore's Law".....

 

https://www.barrons.com/articles/moores-law-is-ending-heres-what-that-means-for-investors-and-the-economy-51605297625

Link to post
22 minutes ago, landess said:

I find computer 'lifetimes' are getting longer as technology increases begin to slow. This is also reflected in the games arena - in the past games series and studio releases were hectic to say the least, while lately many spend huge amounts of time to release the next game if trying to incorporate technical advances. Those that do not, appear to remain on schedule with close to annual releases or the more recent focus on console ports which any gaming PC can easily handle.

 

Example, If you had to upgrade to play 'Assassin's Creed Origins', that system is capable of maxing anything else being released up to this point. In the 'olden days' this wouldn't have been the case as things were moving pretty fast.

 

I'm sure most are familiar with the term "Moore's Law".....

 

https://www.barrons.com/articles/moores-law-is-ending-heres-what-that-means-for-investors-and-the-economy-51605297625

Yeah that was my bad. I did a quick look up on how long computers last and that was the answer I got. I never took into account the inability to update a system.

 

A well kept computer could probably last 10 years by my guesstimation but guesstimations don't really cut it as far as data is concerned. I doubt most computers could last 50 years of wear and tear and still be the same. Hence losing my mind. Oh well~

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

Yeah that was my bad. I did a quick look up on how long computers last and that was the answer I got. I never took into account the inability to update a system.

 

A well kept computer could probably last 10 years by my guesstimation but guesstimations don't really cut it as far as data is concerned. I doubt most computers could last 50 years of wear and tear and still be the same. Hence losing my mind. Oh well~

 

If you can't find your mind, you can try to make up a new one. It might be even more fun than building a custom Personal Computer. 

Link to post
8 hours ago, OhYeah!Yeah said:

I want an online friend who can get me off by just words. no pictures, no videos, no too dirty use of language. is that possible?

If you want an online friend to get you off of a ledge just by using words alone, you can always count on these fine folks.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

 

If you didn't mean it that way, then the adjustment should be made on your end. Anything can get one off with the right attitude. 

Link to post

The simultaneously belated and premature release of CyberPunk 2077 reminded me of something that I said off-hand about the cyber punk genre, not only how if we are lucky, we would at least get the tech that is featured in the more dystopian stories to off-set the negatives of said dystopia should it come to pass though most often the dystopic condition come to pass but the tools which could help to mitigate it are not forthcoming (perhaps by design) but that many of those dystopia are, if anything, too cheery and optimistic compared to what is more probable to await everyone in such scenarios. 

 

If it is so much trouble for some people to get back their money from a foreign entertainment company paid for a game set in a high tech Hell Scape, they might not stand the best chance to reclaim their freedoms from a corporation located right inside of their own country which controls 'essential' services.

That is not to say that it is impossible. It would just be messy to do so and the methods would be very uncivilized. More Stone Age than (Cyber)Space Age, that is for sure. Going Medieval would entail far too much Chivalry and politicking. 

Link to post

Transforming a shed into a house has been both fun and frustrating at the same time. It's by no means a cheap weekend project, but it's better than renting an apartment or moving back home. My other option would've been to get an RV/Camper and convert that into a house.

Link to post
11 hours ago, Milkjetstream said:

Transforming a shed into a house has been both fun and frustrating at the same time. It's by no means a cheap weekend project, but it's better than renting an apartment or moving back home. My other option would've been to get an RV/Camper and convert that into a house.

What's the shed size? Insulation, wiring, plumbing, yeah, that could take a while... though in my experience, three experienced people could tackle that in a weekend.

 

Converting a camper would be my recommendation... but I don't know, your situation is probably different from mine.

Link to post
On 12/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, FauxFurry said:

I have to wonder how many people think that doctors are not ever in anyone's pocket anymore or why they believe such a thing. They will believe that laws that have long ago been repealed are still in effect but they think that human nature or the laws of reality itself have been re-written in the span of 5 decades or so.

 

There are lots of medical info that has changed over the years. At one time they even gave medical cigarettes to those that had Asthma. It was thought to help .. (and in a way it did for short term effect it had a chemical proven to help loosen the bronchus.  How many times have the medical community told you you can't eat this or that only to change it later. ?

On 12/6/2020 at 5:27 PM, steelpanther24 said:

How old do you have to be to really love (and understand) this great scene?

 

  Hide contents

 

 

At the minimum 40,  50 to above. Unless someone watches lots of old series movies from the 80's (which many are  AWESOME)  I loved that from the very first time I seen it as Battlestar was actually on in re-runs where I live at the same time that A-Team was being played. 

On 12/8/2020 at 3:59 AM, GimmeBACON said:

Just do what I would do... pretend I may have covid¬†ūüė∑

Don't even need to pretend.. just state you were exposed. According to the news that is quite believable in most cities and heavily populated areas. You are on 14 days quarantine. however, that would mean that you'd not be able to go to work or what not.. However, if you were possibly exposed most employers wouldn't want you to. I can take a leave from work any time I want.. lol.  (I do have to prove the exposure or other documentation like a positive test to get paid for that time off)

On 12/13/2020 at 4:42 PM, Darkpig said:

Yeah that was my bad. I did a quick look up on how long computers last and that was the answer I got. I never took into account the inability to update a system.

 

A well kept computer could probably last 10 years by my guesstimation but guesstimations don't really cut it as far as data is concerned. I doubt most computers could last 50 years of wear and tear and still be the same. Hence losing my mind. Oh well~

 

NASA and other goverment bodies use extremely old computers to keep the backbone of many of the systems still running.  Some are older than 50 years old. Many are over 30 and NASA is still using computer chips and such from the mid 2000's.  The older computers are actually easier to boot up and get working. Their systems are designed (in my opinion )better with better ROM chips and such that will tolerate years and years of use and even years and years of being turned off. Just look through the net and you will find late 80's, 90's computers ready for sale some of which never even booted. Suprise... they work just as if they did (most of the time) back when they were first sold. Commodore 64, Texas Instraments and other such computers from the late 80s can boot and run. .. Hell even my xbox and xbox 0ne is still clunking along. No problems along with my old Nentendo. (sadly my Commadore died.. from water damage where it was stored. Might be able to be restored but the corrosion needs to be addressed.  There is an active community of nerds and geeks that trade and restore such machines. Many can actually fetch some serous $$$ I have a original Slient Hill game (believe it was 3) which my version was on Ebay for 254 dollars.  I traded  away an old Apple FatMac (like the one in the 1984 commercials but with much more ram) it was cherry .. even had the floppy protector and tag on the bag. The guy (which is a good friend  of mine) still uses it for playing old Apple games. (even with the 8 inch screen lol)

the newer computers are the ones that are shit. The ones that break more often than not. That die in the 3 to 5 years.

4 hours ago, GimmeBACON said:

What's the shed size? Insulation, wiring, plumbing, yeah, that could take a while... though in my experience, three experienced people could tackle that in a weekend.

 

Converting a camper would be my recommendation... but I don't know, your situation is probably different from mine.

I'd be careful of the zoning regs as well. Might spend all that money and end up being forced to remove the entire structure. Not even be able to use it as a shed.

Link to post
2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Don't even need to pretend.. just state you were exposed. According to the news that is quite believable in most cities and heavily populated areas. You are on 14 days quarantine. however, that would mean that you'd not be able to go to work or what not.. However, if you were possibly exposed most employers wouldn't want you to. I can take a leave from work any time I want.. lol.  (I do have to prove the exposure or other documentation like a positive test to get paid for that time off)

 

I'd be careful of the zoning regs as well. Might spend all that money and end up being forced to remove the entire structure. Not even be able to use it as a shed.

I work manual labor... no paid time off for me, just a reduced schedule due to covid.

 

Yeah zoning reg enforcement varies... but yeah, that's the main reason I wouldn't renovate a shed personally. I have worked on a great deal of demo projects because people wanted to do shit like that.

Link to post
10 hours ago, GimmeBACON said:

What's the shed size? Insulation, wiring, plumbing, yeah, that could take a while... though in my experience, three experienced people could tackle that in a weekend.

 

Converting a camper would be my recommendation... but I don't know, your situation is probably different from mine.

 

It's a 12x24, so roughly about 288sqft to play around with. I've already got wiring done. I started on insulation and currently waiting on a plumber to give me a quote.

Link to post
8 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Man, this year has been an exhausting one! Here's to 2021 being a boring, uneventful ride down easy street. :beer:

 

Pin on SENTIMENTOBest Beach Babes GIFs | Gfycat

There is no getting off of this train we are on. We have all got to ride it to the end of the line. Well, that is, unless one is a dog. No dogs allowed on this ride. No birds, either. 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

There is no getting off of this train we are on. We have all got to ride it to the end of the line. Well, that is, unless one is a dog. No dogs allowed on this ride. No birds, either. 

 

 

That's why we'll dodge paying the fare¬†and sneak into the Bistro! I always wanted to eat free train food¬†ūüėć

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...