What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Wouldn't happen if we were still in the EU. :classic_ph34r:

Wrap up warm, lad.

(Freezing fog here in my part of Lancashire)

Well that Freezing fog is now creeping it's way into Yorkshire...and it's getting thicker!

I hope i don't to run into any Zombie Pirates in that fog, as i have to go out soon!  ?

I don't mind the snow, much better than the dark damp suck of last winter. But seriously, keep the temperatures above -20C ?

Oh well, it's supposed to be much warmer next week, and i made it intact. I think. How many toes do people normally have?

30 minutes ago, B10HAZARD. said:

Well that Freezing fog is now creeping it's way into Yorkshire...and it's getting thicker!

I hope i don't to run into any Zombie Pirates in that fog, as i have to go out soon!  ?

Hey...  Zombies, even zombie pirates, need love too, ya know.  Don't be so narrow-minded.  ;)

(NSFW artwork image-thingy)

Spoiler

tumblr_o7r6traOZh1r9fbfgo1_1280.png

How the hell do multiple choice quizzes and tests challenge any student to actually learn the material? Usually common sense will eliminate one answer, some light studying will usually eliminate another- leaving only a 33-50% chance of getting it wrong. I remember a time when you had to at least fill in the blank or answer the question outright with no hints whatsoever. I'm all for cutting corners wherever I can, but a person's education is not an area where this should apply. If life doesn't give us convenient multiple choice questions- then why do our educators?

31 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

How the hell do multiple choice quizzes and tests challenge any student to actually learn the material? Usually common sense will eliminate one answer, some light studying will usually eliminate another- leaving only a 33-50% chance of getting it wrong. I remember a time when you had to at least fill in the blank or answer the question outright with no hints whatsoever. I'm all for cutting corners wherever I can, but a person's education is not an area where this should apply. If life doesn't give us convenient multiple choice questions- then why do our educators?

Or what about "K-type" questions? You remember those (I certainly do). You know:

1. Blue

2. Red

3. White

4. Green

What colors are in the flag of the USA?

A.  1,2 and 3

B    1 and 3

C    2 and 4

D    4 only

E     all of the above

24 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Or what about "K-type" questions? You remember those (I certainly do). You know:

1. Blue

2. Red

3. White

4. Green

What colors are in the flag of the USA?

A.  1,2 and 3

B    1 and 3

C    2 and 4

D    4 only

E     all of the above

What's even more disturbing is that some Americans here would probably get that wrong precisely because of a poor education. 

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

If life doesn't give us convenient multiple choice questions- then why do our educators?

There a government ran institution... they're no longer competent enough (or are willingly refusing) to teach critical thinking.

58 minutes ago, GimmeBACON said:

There a government ran institution... they're no longer competent enough (or are willingly refusing) to teach critical thinking.

No one likes an old man's reminiscences but I'm going to share one anyway. Roughly 50 years ago while attending Public High School in inner city (that is, not the suburbs) Cleveland, Ohio I had the good fortune to take some Honor classes. One of my teachers then was very proud that he felt part of his curriculum was teaching critical thinking to adolescents. He was also wistful that not all teachers had that opportunity. If my experience is anything to go by then, the teaching of critical thinking is not a new absence in American public education, but rather a chronic one.

Brain Implants...but should that not be in my mind instead of on it?

Anyway, how far can one go with off loading thought processes to a machine before the machine's processors are the only thing thinking (or simulating thought)? Can one undergo such a procedure even once before being considered a new entity (if the mind is given primacy over the body as if it were truly a separate thing to begin with)?

13 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Brain Implants...but should that not be in my mind instead of on it?

Anyway, how far can one go with off loading thought processes to a machine before the machine's processors are the only thing thinking (or simulating thought)? Can one undergo such a procedure even once before being considered a new entity (if the mind is given primacy over the body as if it were truly a separate thing to begin with)?

To add to this riddle. What if the brain cells inside your brain was their own entity? I mean certain parts of the brain are proven to serve different functions.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Problem solved.

Reminds me of when I was playing a NW2 Caves Of Chaos module with a Drow Paladin, (really slow leveling that). Towards the end got into a sticky situation, and had to resort to using poison on the sword, Was then somewhat surprised when I couldn't  later level up as Paladin. (Surprised the game had implemented that rule, not the fact that it could happen). Anyway continued the rest of her career as a LN favored soul.

21 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

They do not test thinking, they test knowledge retention and/or the ability to recognize the right answer when given.     I have said it before (and will do it again)  knowledge does not equal intelligence.  Knowledge plus intelligence is a big factor of wisdom.   As for grading, multiple choice tests are so much easier to grade, so if you are testing a large group, and knowledge is the only thing you are interested in, multiple choice is a good way to go.   Especially in cases where it is more important to know that gravity works in this way versus knowing why gravity works in this way.

That said, with easy access to the internet, the ability to choose the right answer is a super important skill set.    I have seen instructional videos on youtube that are somewhat erroneous and, if followed, will cause more damage to the item you are working on (PS2 "fixes" for example).

As for thinking........  I have seen far too many examples of "thinking" adults believing in some things in spite of substantial evidence to the contrary ("The lack of evidence of a grand scheme is evidence of a grand scheme").

11 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

Reminds me of when I was playing a NW2 Caves Of Chaos module with a Drow Paladin, (really slow leveling that). Towards the end got into a sticky situation, and had to resort to using poison on the sword, Was then somewhat surprised when I couldn't  later level up as Paladin. (Surprised the game had implemented that rule, not the fact that it could happen). Anyway continued the rest of her career as a LN favored soul.

Wow, first  for a Drow Paladin (heck there is a famous Drow ranger so why not) and second that it had that built in.  I never ran into that.   Now i will have to dig out those CDs and install that game again.

1 hour ago, spoonsinger said:

49 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

Wow, first  for a Drow Paladin (heck there is a famous Drow ranger so why not) and second that it had that built in.  I never ran into that.   Now i will have to dig out those CDs and install that game again.

Was Blackguard an option in NWN2? I can't remember.

Paladins have to remain Lawful Good or they lose the ability to progress as Paladins.

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Was Blackguard an option in NWN2? I can't remember.

Paladins have to remain Lawful Good or they lose the ability to progress as Paladins.

Blackguards are a prestige class and for evil people. Not slightly fallen paladins, (i.,e use of poison shoved them into neutral).

8 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

Blackguards are a prestige class and for evil people. Not slightly fallen paladins, (i.,e use of poison shoved them into neutral).

If you are looking at it from the medieval perspective the use of poison was considered witchcraft. Of course the game is multicultural so there goes that theory.

So the question remains what inspired the creator of the game to put it in the neutral category?

I cannot keep an erection anymore. I can't get one while standing and barely one while sitting. My drive is all but dead. I'm only 26. I think I may have diabetes without knowing it or something else is wrong. I'm not peeing blood, it doesn't burn when I pee. I do not have trouble seeing, breathing, or anything like that. So no cancer? No diabetes? Maybe heart disease?