The R.I.P. Thread- Saying Goodbye to Whatever

38 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

He and Stanton added to a fantastic cast. A very good supporting actor that should have gotten much more screen time.

Most of what was cut was him and stanton and cartwright and weaver ad libbing shit.

I don't expect people to agree but I thought the latest Star Wars trilogy was quite enjoyable despite its flaws and awkward story. The first movie was good and promised something more. It's still Star Wars after all, and the actors did a good job with what they had to work with. Maybe it would have been better if a different company handled it and it had less feminism. Who knows.

This might be a bit premature but R.I.P. King's Bounty. They gave up on the epic fantasy concept that gave the game its heart and soul and went for medieval realism.

King's Bounty - Armored Princess:

Spoiler

The music is still giving me goosebumps.

King's Bounty II:

Spoiler

Kings-Bounty-II-Screen-12.jpg

Graphics looks good though. I guess a game has to make progress in some way.

Just now, wokking56 said:

At the risk of being a downer and getting personal. R.I.P. to my wife of 35 years, she fought C.O.P.D. for a couple of years but covid got to her.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that for you. I know you'll miss her dearly. ?

56 minutes ago, wokking56 said:

At the risk of being a downer and getting personal. R.I.P. to my wife of 35 years, she fought C.O.P.D. for a couple of years but covid got to her.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through with this, i can't even begin to imagine how you might be feeling right now. Stay strong man, stay strong.

19 hours ago, wokking56 said:

My condolences at this very difficult and heartbreaking time

On 3/19/2021 at 9:28 AM, saltshade said:

I don't expect people to agree but I thought the latest Star Wars trilogy was quite enjoyable despite its flaws and awkward story. The first movie was good and promised something more. It's still Star Wars after all, and the actors did a good job with what they had to work with. Maybe it would have been better if a different company handled it and it had less feminism. Who knows.

1 hour ago, saltshade said:

There are two different ways to watch a movie. One is to dissect it and analyze every part and try to find flaws or logical gaps in the story. The other is to relax your brain, immerse yourself and play along with what the movie is offering you. If you choose the latter method, and it works, the movie also works. For me the flaws were not disturbing enough to ruin the atmosphere. Even if I can look back and think it could have been better the last three movies still have their own charm. Looking at IMDB ratings am I clearly not alone. 7.9 is a good rating for The Force Awakens and 7.0 not bad at all for The Last Jedi.

Yes, there are two ways to watch a movie, but sometimes those movies when we watch them when we were young are embedded in our minds, giving us the nostalgia from "simpler" times.   However, the fans from that first showing in 1977 saw something great and wanted to continue.  It did, through the 90s with great books, great comic books, great compute games, great RPG (though I never played it, but watched it at Gen Con), became even greater.     

Now, if you do not have that historical attachment, then it is easy to accept what Star Wars has become, a vehilce to promote a new ideology/religion.   Missteps by the new management team to simply put all those old fans in a box labeled "racist, misogynist, etc. " as a means to ignore valid criticism created even a greater blow back.   Basically, Disney did no favors to its IP by throwing out all the canon (except for the movies......well mostly).  

In the end it doesn't matter.    Many companies exploit an intellectual property until it is all used up, then they move on to something else.  Just the way of the world.   As for me, I voted long ago with my wallet to continue to play X Wing, Tie Fighter and Star Wars Rebellion.   I still read the Han Solo trilogy (Star's end, etc.) as well as Splinter of the Minds Eye (though not a really  good book) and ignore what happens to Star Wars now.  

So, I guess I am saying that politics have polluted everything, forcing everyone into a "With us or against us" situation.    The issue with firing of Gina was nothing more than cancel culture at its worst.    Ah well, soon I will retire and let the tax payers continue to pay me to live (until I lose my pension) and in the words of EB Farnum

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

Yes, there are two ways to watch a movie, but sometimes those movies when we watch them when we were young are embedded in our minds, giving us the nostalgia from "simpler" times.   However, the fans from that first showing in 1977 saw something great and wanted to continue.  It did, through the 90s with great books, great comic books, great compute games, great RPG (though I never played it, but watched it at Gen Con), became even greater.     

Now, if you do not have that historical attachment, then it is easy to accept what Star Wars has become, a vehilce to promote a new ideology/religion.   Missteps by the new management team to simply put all those old fans in a box labeled "racist, misogynist, etc. " as a means to ignore valid criticism created even a greater blow back.   Basically, Disney did no favors to its IP by throwing out all the canon (except for the movies......well mostly).  

In the end it doesn't matter.    Many companies exploit an intellectual property until it is all used up, then they move on to something else.  Just the way of the world.   As for me, I voted long ago with my wallet to continue to play X Wing, Tie Fighter and Star Wars Rebellion.   I still read the Han Solo trilogy (Star's end, etc.) as well as Splinter of the Minds Eye (though not a really  good book) and ignore what happens to Star Wars now.  

So, I guess I am saying that politics have polluted everything, forcing everyone into a "With us or against us" situation.    The issue with firing of Gina was nothing more than cancel culture at its worst.    Ah well, soon I will retire and let the tax payers continue to pay me to live (until I lose my pension) and in the words of EB Farnum

Reveal hidden contents

I deleted that comment because I didn't want to derail the thread, just to explain why it's not there. I think I was too young when watching the original movies to realize their greatness, or to even remember much of them when the rest came out, so no, I can't say there was a strong nostalgia affecting me. Also, it's disney's right to do what they want and they don't have to respect the old-schoolers that consider themselves the only "true star wars fans". They already had their movies. Now it was time to do something more "modern", although the the iteration of that concept can be very subjective.

I am more annoyed by EAs commercial pollution of Star Wars - The Old Republic than what disney did with the movies. That game was an open-world RPG with a lot of depth and good storylines. Then they turned it into an online store and simplified everything that was RPG. The story and missions got horribly shallow and linear after that.

4 minutes ago, saltshade said:

I am more annoyed by EAs commercial pollution of Star Wars - The Old Republic than what disney did with the movies. That game was an open-world RPG with a lot of depth and good storylines. Then they turned it into an online store and simplified everything that was RPG. The story and missions got horribly shallow and linear after that.

Yes, I have that game in shrink wrap still (yep bought it at Comp USA I think) but after what  they did to Star Wars Galaxies.......  it is indeed appropriate to wish the Stars of old a farewell (in keeping with the OP)

The last trilogy of movies was bad enough. But the very last episode was so cringe worthy I couldn't even finish watching it. The end of that awe-inspiring era of story and characters went out much the same way the Empire did in the last one- with a whimper.

23 hours ago, Psalam said:

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that for you. I know you'll miss her dearly. ?

23 hours ago, GreyMouse said:

My sincerest condolences, @wokking56

22 hours ago, Mr. Otaku said:

I'm so sorry you're having to go through with this, i can't even begin to imagine how you might be feeling right now. Stay strong man, stay strong.

19 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

There's no worse feeling than losing a loved one.  At least she no longer has to suffer while ending up in a better place.  Hopefully, you can find a little solace in that.

My condolences.

4 hours ago, Slorm said:

My condolences at this very difficult and heartbreaking time

Thank you all for your kind words and heartfelt wishes.

6 minutes ago, wokking56 said:

Thank you all for your kind words and heartfelt wishes.

Thank you for sharing. I don't want to ask any personal questions, but I hope you and yours are coping as best you can. Any words I say feel hollow next to the pain you must be feeling- so I will just say take care and God bless.

4 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

The last trilogy of movies was bad enough. But the very last episode was so cringe worthy I couldn't even finish watching it. The end of that awe-inspiring era of story and characters went out much the same way the Empire did in the last one- with a whimper.

If you had actually finished watching it you'd know that the emperor was so strong that Rey couldn't beat him alone. If that's going out with a whimper, the only thing that could have made you happy is that the evil side would have won. We both know the story can't end like that. The original endings were at the same level, but without all the fancy effects, and they had the priviledge of being first.

It's just like the X-men movies. The more they try to squeeze the franchise, the more tired it gets. Deal with it, or maybe you'd made a better trilogy? I bet you'd made exactly the same story as the original, except that the empire flattens the restistance so much that they have no chance of winning. I would probably have killed Rey if I would have done it though, so you have a point there. It makes for more drama.

Disney were too nice and politically correct to handle it, and I was skeptical when I heard that they had taken the franchise. I was like "why the f*** should Disney do this and not Lucasfilm?". You can't expect a company with a history in cartoons to make a cult sci-fi trilogy out of Star Wars. Hollywood is about money.

31 minutes ago, saltshade said:

Deal with it, or maybe you'd made a better trilogy?

Any one of us probably could. Know why? Cause we actually care about the story and characters and not milking the shit for as much revenue as we can get. You just want to argue, so we're done.

23 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Any one of us probably could. Know why? Cause we actually care about the story and characters and not milking the shit for as much revenue as we can get. You just want to argue, so we're done.

Fine. I actually agree with you on that, despite what you might think. I just couldn't put my finger on the problem with those movies, but now I finally see it. The characters and story need more depth and coherence.

18 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

In the end the last trilology acted something like a course of anti-biotics to me, I had to finish the course to cure me of my rose tinted view of anything Star Wars. It's not a film series that has grown with it's fans. There was a brief glimmer of hope with Rogue One but after that we do need to accept they kids films and are made for the current generation of kids.

Still, would have been nice if Rian Johnson and J.J. Abrams had been on the same page about the direction of the story and characters, even in the same book would have been a start.

So R.I.P. my blind fanboyness of everything Star Wars. In all honesty I should have let you go when Liam Neeson first uttered the word "midichlorians"

21 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Please let it be so.  And if it is...CYA bitch.

Fucking good riddance. I wish I could throw hard kicks at her asshole repeatedly on her way out. And some to Lucas too, goddamn sellout