The R.I.P. Thread- Saying Goodbye to Whatever

3 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Anyone old enough to remember this back in the 90's?  Well, Shock G died a few days ago.

4 months late, but I didn't realize Deebo from "Friday" (Tommy 'Tiny' Lister) was dead too.

Whoa, I didn't hear about that either.    That is too bad.    What makes it worse is that video is censored in the oddest of ways..........used to be the moral majority would sensor the b ad words, but now we have #metoo censorship.......ah well, at least I know the song well enough to put the right words back in.

4 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

4 months late, but I didn't realize Deebo from "Friday" (Tommy 'Tiny' Lister) was dead too.

I saw Tommy in person back in 2003 in a mall with my ex. He was with his really short GF and people were following him around. Boy was he tall. And I'm 6'1.

RIP Skyrim.

I wanted to come back to one of the best games of all time and toss some mods on there like I did 7 years ago, but between the outdated mods, outdated tutorials, outdated forums and broken links, it's just not worth the effort anymore. 

Trying to get LoversLab mods to work is the computer version of putting together a Rube Goldberg machine where each part is it's own fetch quest.

I.E. to get 1 mod working you may have to download 10, where each one may have a requisite of 6 other mods, which will have a few that are outdated and require you download something different, which will have even more requisites, and when you finally get everything going things just break. Then begins the process of deactivating, re-sorting, restarting, testing, researching, and repeating. 

After a full day of swimming in this ocean of BS and not getting anything working I have to finally admit to myself that it's become an overly convoluted process that has gotten much worse over the years and I need to put a bullet in Skyrim before I put one in my computer.

Skyrim is one of the best games of all time imo but times have changed and so have the processes of making mods user friendly. Maybe one day the process will become more organized, updated, and easier instead of the opposite. On that day I will give it another shot.

Thanks to the modders for all their hard work and those soldiers in the forums still fighting the good fight to get the Skyrim of their dreams working.

modding in skyrim.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not the first band that comes to mind when thinking back on the 80's/late 70's, but iconic all the same. Lead singer reminded me of my also deceased cousin from just a few years before '19 when Ric Ocasek passed. So not recent- I just never heard.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, 27X said:

Hot take:

Bethesda has never made a good fallout.

ever.

Other hot take:

Neither has Obsidian. While Obsidian's writing actually makes sense and generally follows thematic and existential form and logic, it's not the jesus christ superstar it's made out to be, because it only exists in contrast to Fallout 3's heehaw abject fuckeration.

NV is a 7 at it's best, not a 10. Whilst New Vegas II is absolutely going to be a thing as Bethesda churns out product after product for their new masters, the people that made NV worth playing at all haven't worked at Obsidian in almost a decade.

My opinion isn't too far from that. But I feel a bit dishonest now dissing any, considering the number of hours I put in them total (3k+...), they must be doing something alright. Though I was just wondering if we're ever gonna see another game or if it's dead already. Anyway sorry for the late response

To stay in topic, RIP my cute skyrim girl, RIP my controller, and since I can't play without it, RIP gaming

5 minutes ago, CyanBunnye said:

My opinion isn't too far from that. But I feel a bit dishonest now dissing any, considering the number of hours I put in them total (3k+...), they must be doing something alright. Though I was just wondering if we're ever gonna see another game or if it's dead already. Anyway sorry for the late response

To stay in topic, RIP my cute skyrim girl, RIP my controller, and since I can't play without it, RIP gaming

The actual question is how much of that is modded and how much is vanilla.

1 minute ago, 27X said:

The actual question is how much of that is modded and how much is vanilla.

Hm I don't mind 3 & NV vanilla (minus crash fixes, especially in 3 cause jesus...)

4 yeah.. without mods I get frustrated pretty fast due to how it's lackluster, in the building department mostly

uh, RIP Dodos, damn you Netherlands

Rip my computer and about 1 terabyte of shit. Now have a Cobratype poison gaming desktop PC - intel core i9 11900F, NVIDIA RTX 3080, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVMe, AIO, windows 10 and a free 24” monitor but also bought a 8 terabyte storage thing so I don't loose shit again when the computer dies.

I'm going to go with the consensus of RIP Star Wars. Regardless of where you stand politically or what generation you came in with, it's just not fun anymore. Sorry in advance for the mini-rant, but The Last Jedi killed my love for the franchise. If you pull the Star Wars name from it, it's just a bad movie with bad writing, bad or nonexistent character development, and a bad storyline. While JJ Abrams wasn't perfect with the Force Awakens, he left so many plot threads that Rian Johnson could have used but just ignored. It's kind of the mirror image of a great movie where the more that you think about it, the worse it gets and the more things fall apart. And the aftermath? Oh boy. Things became so toxic that I couldn't talk Star Wars with anyone outside of a few friends, and even they couldn't stand the movie. Between the studio's reaction to criticism, the blanket accusations of bigotry to any criticism no matter how valid, and then people bullying Kelly Marie Tran off of the internet, it was a shit show. And let me be clear, I don't understand why people went after her. She didn't write the script or direct the movie, she just played a role. But it was to the point where I went into Solo, and I knew consciously that I would normally like the movie, but I just couldn't get into it because of the baggage. I also couldn't get excited with the rumors that they were brining in my favorite character from Legends (Mara Jade) for Rise of Skywalker. That being said, after watching the first season of the Mandalorian, I'm cautiously optimistic if the John Favreau/Dave Filoni side wins the rumored LucasFilm civil war but it's going to take more than one series doing well for me to like the regain my trust in the franchise as a whole again.

22 hours ago, atomicweasel said:

I'm going to go with the consensus of RIP Star Wars. Regardless of where you stand politically or what generation you came in with, it's just not fun anymore. Sorry in advance for the mini-rant, but The Last Jedi killed my love for the franchise. If you pull the Star Wars name from it, it's just a bad movie with bad writing, bad or nonexistent character development, and a bad storyline.

I also stopped watching after the prequels, which I thought were good, but didn't have the magic.   I also wonder if it isn't so much RIP Star Wars as RIP my youthful world view.    Watching SW A New Hope in theaters when it came out hooked me completely .....but...... I thought the movie "Ice Pirates" was a great movie too (and it is for young male teenagers).  So, is it the baggage, the wokeness, the stupidity of Kennedy, etc. or realizing that magical moments are harder to find the older you get.   Perhaps the answer, as with everything these days is a combination of all the above.   

On 5/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, atomicweasel said:

I'm going to go with the consensus of RIP Star Wars. Regardless of where you stand politically or what generation you came in with, it's just not fun anymore. Sorry in advance for That being said, after watching the first season of the Mandalorian, I'm cautiously optimistic if the John Favreau/Dave Filoni side wins the rumored LucasFilm civil war but it's going to take more than one series doing well for me to like the regain my trust in the franchise as a whole again.

As much as I wanted to like the Mandalorian, the only thing it got is okay action/FX. Dialogues are terrible and not the cheesy prequel kind, rather the deadly boring kind. There's tone conflict all over the place. MC is a weather vane, fanservice delivery felt very clumsy and the last "cliffhanger" makes no sense at all. I'm avoiding spoilers but yeah, not looking forward to the sequel they "announced" at the end.

Didn't even bother watching episode 9 as I didn't care for any characters by the end of 8. It's a RIP SW for me too

15 minutes ago, 27X said:

Completely gutted. Literally no one like him on either side of the pond.

Yeah this sucks a lot, aortic dissection at 54 yo. Dude said he was taking care of his health and prayed to be able to finish Berserk

He was trying to take care after his doctor warned him things like this could happen.

When you see his art style him taking enormous breaks makes a hell of a lot of sense. There's nothing like it anywhere else. No other author was able to put the level of detail in their work in the same amount of time and I imagine it took quite a toll on him. His average per-work day was 20 hours, and an average issue was five weeks to do.

This has been an ongoing problem in the manga field since day one, and in Miura's case there was no one whom would be able to replicate his work either as an author or artist. The further implications are even more troubling as he was one of the few artists that was essentially immune by decree from censorship, which is becoming more and more common even in manga, much less printed works elsewhere.

One of a kind.

• 1 month later...

RIP Blizzard. A re-release of a 16 year old game being their best release since Overwatch, excessive layoffs, Blitzchung, you think you do but you don't, Warcraft Deforged, phones, monetize TBC Classic, with around dozens of millions in profit yearly from WoW got jack shit to show for it in game and most of it remains a busted piece of shit, soulless bloodsucking corporation holding their creativity hostage, and out of touch executives dancing on their grave.

Blizzard was never good. Literally every game they've ever made has been a ripoff of someone else's game with more money added. GW should have sued them into the dust and spared the world 20 years of knock offs but more politically correct.

I tried out the beta for Diablo 2 Ressurected the other week, it's literally the old game with a fresh coat of paint which is what fans (me included) wanted. Knowing Blizzard though i'm sure they'll do something real fucking stupid before release...

Also on the note of them ripping off games, wasn't the original starcraft pretty much confirmed to be a rip-off of WH40K or am i remembering incorrectly?

Edited by MajesticMoomin