Should I switch from oldrim to SE

21 minutes ago, sabytango said:

I want to make a playthrough that include many sex lab features and was wondering which is better normal or special edition?

I left skyrim for so many years "3 or 4 years" and wish to return.

The only reason to go LE at this point is if you are already running a stable build that you enjoy. If you are starting from scratch you should go SE.

SE is better than LE in basically every way , the only advantage LE has over SE is for people who have a modlist on LE and are too stubborn / lazy to redownload and reinstall them for SE, and for the few mods that aren't on SE / can't be ported. 

Overall, SE is ridiculously drastically absurdly more stable, where as LE has a very small handful of LE only mods. Up to you, but I would highly advise the stability increase which I can't overstate 

on LE you have to quick save every 2 feet, and save before going through a door because you know there's a 95% chance you'll crash even with a well curated mod list. On SE even with 250+ mods it's pretty stable (for Skyrim) and only crashes every so often

For a long time i was tinkering with my LE build, and got it about where i wanted. But, since my SSD decided to implode and modding skyrim is more about fiddling with it than actually playing - i decided to move to SE. So, ive got a bunch of questions.

Main one is what i mostly look for from moving - BHUNP full smp setup is awesome, but almost all HQ physics enabled clothing for LE rely on SMP-PE paths of 0.601/0.703/0.8 ver, and those require either overwriting BHUNP files, wich break body physics, or they dont work. Since SMP is native to SSE (and there is no HDT-PE), am i correct in assuming that such problem does not exist for SE version of BHUNP?

Second one - ive browsed along for mods that i considered neccecery, and came a few short. Big one is SkyTweak,  Sl_UtilOne will also be missed, but i can do without that one.

So, perhaps there are SE analogues for those?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and gals!

I felt the urge to RPG my Skyrim characters again, after being abstinent of the game for way too long i got a Question.

Should i go straight to SSE (which i never really bothered with) or setup Oldrim again?

I never really felt the need to switch as installing 120+ mods again was not worth the hassle. But as im installing either one new, om Open for everything.

So, are most Mods in SSE now, or did the developers/modders stick with Oldrim?

Love to hear your input, Rezhiri

I can only speak for myself but as much as I enjoyed Oldrim it was prone to crashing. Like, a lot. Like, "I got fed up with it" a lot. Plus ever since I moved onto Win 10 64-bit it just made sense to go with SSE since it was designed for that architecture. That being said, modded SSE has been very smooth and the VERY VERY FEW times it crashed it was due to my mistake or conflicting mods rather than the game itself.

(For some reason site isn't allowing me to edit my post so I'm just double-posting, sorry in advance.)

The other thing I wanted to mention was that while Oldrim may still have more mods than SSE, remember the old saying: "Quality over quantity". SSE pretty much has all the important mods you'll need since they've already been either ported or revamped or someone else has re-created them into something new/better than they were originally in Oldrim. Anything you're missing is probably way too niche for others to have cared about, or you could ask someone to port it for you, OR you yourself could do it since there are are guides on how to do that. But honestly ever since I've moved onto SSE I've never once missed or looked back to Oldrim.

47 minutes ago, rezhiri said:

Hey guys and gals!

I felt the urge to RPG my Skyrim characters again, after being abstinent of the game for way too long i got a Question.

Should i go straight to SSE (which i never really bothered with) or setup Oldrim again?

I never really felt the need to switch as installing 120+ mods again was not worth the hassle. But as im installing either one new, om Open for everything.

So, are most Mods in SSE now, or did the developers/modders stick with Oldrim?

Love to hear your input, Rezhiri

You may want to look at this since this question is one of long standing. If you do you'll find I stand with the LE lovers but the SE aficionados make good points as well.

26 minutes ago, HentaiGnome said:

For some reason site isn't allowing me to edit my post so I'm just double-posting, sorry in advance

The new format requires you to hit the "..." icon on the right side of the blue bar on the top of your post. From there you can choose to edit. I just did it with this post to make certain that it was still working before I shot my mouth off.

Clearly not working since this wound up as a separate post.

1 hour ago, rezhiri said:

you are about the five millionth person to ask that question.

46 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Clearly not working since this wound up as a separate post.

It worked for me earlier in the day on a different thread.

Test Edit (not TES Edit) Just done this edit and it takes a while for the post to appear for editing but it works.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

you are about the five millionth person to ask that question.

It worked for me earlier in the day on a different thread.

Test Edit (not TES Edit) Just done this edit and it takes a while for the post to appear for editing but it works.

Sorry about that, most things i read was more about switching from a working Oldrim to SSE. But i think ill work into SSE, never came past the step of downloading some Base mods and never playing it, as Oldrim was running "well" (means less than a CTD per hour playtime x), and i had no idea what i´m doing, i just yelled for my spouse and it magically fixed itself)

I don't think the main difference between SE and LE is stability and speed anymore.

The recent influx of SE mods based on CommonLibSSE (that's where those SKSE64 mods come from practically every week these days) and .Net Scripting Framework kinda close the issue.

SSE has reached the new level of modding.

I recently made the switch from LE to SE. I was hesitant before because I didn't want to redownload all out of my mods (laziness/had better things to do). But I finally decided to sit down and just do it. I only switched essentially out of curiosity, my LE install was very stable thanks to reading a LOT of guides, watching videos, and asking people questions. It had also been quite a while since I last consistently played Skyrim and wanted to start fresh.

About a week later, I finally had everything I wanted in my install and quickly fell in love, but had to continue troubleshooting for another week due to constant crashes (all of which were my fault, if memory serves). Now, I have a fairly stable install and it has reawakened my interest and love for Skyrim. Not to mention that some folks have been saying that SE is better for supporting bigger, more complicated mods, so it makes me excited to see what will come out this year for the game. 

Hey guy's and girls, been some years since I touched Skyirm, now I'm wondering which version I should go for. Since I always had problems with CTD's I thought that SE might be the way to go, because I like to have alot of mods i normally ended up with 200+ and the limit is increased there right? Leave some posts about what you guys think which I should go for, what you prefer yourself and the experience of the different version you had and so on I really would like to get enlightend here. :P

I've never touched SSE yet since back when it just came out barely mods worked for it or wasn't converted yet, so it would be my first attempt of the SSE.

10 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

This question has been asked countless times. Do some reading and make up your own mind so you are not subject to the kind of nonsense posted above.

Also you might want to try getting the name of the 'Legacy' version correct.

Dunno if it's that necessary if its called legacy or legendary, but most topics are quite old here so I thought alot might've been changed about modding SE when they opened there topics and the moment I opened mine.

If you own SSE for free back when it was given to those who had the game and all DLCs, whether through Legendary Edition or bought separately, I would just give it a try if stability is your primary concern. But from my own experience, I didn't notice a difference. And because I have taken a long time to get Skyrim crash and freeze free, unless it's caused by a mod, there's nothing beneficial to permanently jump ships. Everyone's experience is different. If you don't have SSE for free, you could wait for a STEAM sale if you're willing to have the patience.

19 minutes ago, endgame † addiction said:

If you own SSE for free back when it was given to those who had the game and all DLCs, whether through Legendary Edition or bought separately, I would just give it a try if stability is your primary concern. But from my own experience, I didn't notice a difference. And because I have taken a long time to get Skyrim crash and freeze free, unless it's caused by a mod, there's nothing beneficial to permanently jump ships. Everyone's experience is different. If you don't have SSE for free, you could wait for a STEAM sale if you're willing to have the patience.

Yes i got the SE for free but back then the mods weren't made for the new Skyrim yet, dunno how much changed since then if most are now SE or still LE.

Already existing thread about this question.

Threads with links to SE mods (ported or new releases) as well as more info

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/94228-se-compatibility-tracking-jan-10-5988/

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/126227-sexlab-index-se/

My advice: check the mods you want to use, if you're comfortable in LE stay there. If you see the things you want to use are available for SE try it, as you say you got SE for free. Pick a mod manager, learn to use it and read every bit of instruction and info you can get about the mods you intend to use.

Like you, I haven't touched SE since shortly after its release. However, if I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with SE. The only reason I have left to not migrate is the time it takes to set up a fresh install - Bethesda hasn't updated it in over a year, most mods have been or can be ported, the new "lite" plugin flag allows many small plugins to share the FE plugin slot, there's a few SE-exclusive mods, and most LE mods have been or can be ported.