Should I switch from oldrim to SE

I awnsered this a week or 2 ago but i decided to make quick preview videos. th first one is Skyrim LE with weather,lighting and ENB also frames unlocked to go to 122FPS. (doable not recomended you will see the flickering is crazy.) The second clip is Skyrim SE with weather, lighting, and ENB and frames unlocked to 122 FPS (runs crazy fast.) both clips have had no other mods installed.

15 hours ago, crowownsford12 said:

I awnsered this a week or 2 ago but i decided to make quick preview videos. th first one is Skyrim LE with weather,lighting and ENB also frames unlocked to go to 122FPS. (doable not recomended you will see the flickering is crazy.) The second clip is Skyrim SE with weather, lighting, and ENB and frames unlocked to 122 FPS (runs crazy fast.) both clips have had no other mods installed.

Bit of an offtopic, but what are your AA / sharpness settings? No matter what I try I'm always having a good bit of movement, especially noticeable on the fence on the small island at 1080p. Yours looks real smooth...

On 3/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, Durante said:

This bothers me greatly. I cannot unsee the graphical differences having installed on both LE and SE rudy and somewhat similar mods. On SE stuff isn't as sharp, colours are off, lots of it is blurry-cartoonish, game definitely looks better on LE. FPS is more or less the same.  However, its a tough choice, since LE for me was often crash prone due to memory issues, I thought I had that fixed after getting a gaming rig but it seems I only delay the inevitable.

Yeah, it's only delaying the inevitable. It's inevitable on SE too though, just further down the road. I'll stand by my statement that SE looks better overall, but subsurface scattering for one is much better on LE and it shows on characters. Compared to LE imo blurry-cartoonish is pretty accurate. Thanks for the mention of Rudy, by the way. I tried it and still prefer Re-engaged on SE even though it's more resource intensive but on LE Rudy's really good. It looks great and gave me more than a handful of fps back, but I did have to reduce the sharpness a bit :) . My decision of the moment is to still play SE as my long term museum filling quest, but that LE with BHUNP SMP is still better, even with the inevitable, for more intimate play ?

This Question gets asked every now and then and never, ever will you get an answer for it without breaking a debate loose.

Read maybe the last 5 pages of this and you might understand what i mean.

Short answer: Both a worth it for other reasons. LE has more variety of some sort and can be stable enough if you know what and how to do it

SE breaks as easy as LE does if you fuck things up without doing proper research and take it slowly so it has the benefit of needing lesser grafikal overhauls to look good.

Honestly i just use a lighting mod, the very basic one and that's enough for me.

After few years of playing both versions simultaneously, last week I deleted all SE mods and decided to stay with LE... They are the same game (32bit and 64bit) but that's not important - mods are... You'll have to decide what kind of mods you like to play and go from there. But again, this is  just my noob opinion on this matter - like many things in RL, you'll have to do some reading and learning and decide for the best. And remember to have fun with the game.

4 hours ago, Swanky said:

Bit of an offtopic, but what are your AA / sharpness settings? No matter what I try I'm always having a good bit of movement, especially noticeable on the fence on the small island at 1080p. Yours looks real smooth...

I am still noob on graphics processing analysis but i have  Nvidia control panel and  in game set all graphic settings to ultra and high were it can be. i the did theFPS unlock with Havok fix on Skyrim SE had to turn FPS down from 144 to 133 to get frame ripping to stop then had to turn mouse sensitivity to almost zero to elminate the motion sickness from turning to fast. but with 4k textures almost everywhere no i still run 80-90FPS in open world and 120FPS interiors and caves. i am setting up a full 2K texture game to see if Open World FPS will come up.

2 hours ago, WolfGear said:

As simple as that, It is to know which one is more worth buying

I've tried both. What keeps me firmly in the LE camp is the mods that won't/can't be ported to SSE. The ones that have been ported lack the same artistic touch or even functionality in some cases, and don't even try to tell me that SSE looks that much better. To understand the why you need not look any further than the dev"s greed. SSE wasn't meant to be an improvement on their sacred cash cow so much as it was to capitalize on it, to double down on it's surprising success.

LE is a PITA to mod sometimes, but we love it for very good reasons. :smile:

There are a load of myths about SE being more stable than LE but that's just mostly nonsense if a person knows what they are doing. An unstable load order, or compatibility issue, will break either of them because its the same game in the end. People bark about how SE is so stable and LE is not possible to get stable but I can vouch that my LE setup crashes ONLY if windows does something stupid outside of the game, I run it at Ugrids=7 easily, I use an ENB, and 2k landscape textures, and my character has 4k skin textures and I NEVER drop below 60fps and my game is smooth sailing all the way. Even in famous spots like the Dragons reach stairs I never lose FPS. All things that SE users say is impossible :P  

Just do a search on google for Skyrim special edition problems/issues, and you will get countless results just like the original game had since 2011. Its the same game under the hood. The simple fact is LE has all the third party tools to get the game as stable as SE, meaning if you take the time to learn the process it surpasses SE is every way. 

But again, if SE is making some people happy, go nuts but in my opinion I think the whole SE reissue was a greedy decision to sell mods, and the result was it cut the modding community in half and just caused a useless schism. 

1 hour ago, Distortedrealms said:

There are a load of myths about SE being more stable than LE but that's just mostly nonsense if a person knows what they are doing

Mod list right around the limit- and I don't mean armor/clothing mods- these are script-heavy, new asset mods that change so many things that I don't even notice anymore. With that said there are limits for my system/setup. Still can play almost as long as I want in every part of Skyrim and beyond with Whiterun plains being the only exception. Could find it/fix it, but why bother when it's stable 95% of the time?

One reason I can think of why it is harder for new players to get LE stable is the sheer amount of mods stating to do so. I know I spent years sorting through outdated mods only to realize there were newer, better options available.

@WolfGear SE will perform better with good hardware, will have less issues with mods that add tons of draw calls (like city overhauls), and supports more npcs at the same time without the engine shitting the bed. it also barely requires any mods to get running properly, where LE requires a lot of fixes. SE is also more supported nowadays.

imo there's no reason to start modding with LE unless you either have old hardware, or just really want to use one of the few mods that haven't been ported.

5 minutes ago, decaluka said:

@pinky6225 it has been unlisted from steam search. and steam only sells the base game and dlcs separately now.

but you can buy it on other stores which still sell the legendary bundle (look at https://gg.deals/pack/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition/ for a list)

ofc, key shops also sell it for much cheaper than legit websites.

So not directly but possible, might be the first question WolfGear wants to ask themselves, do they want to go to that effort or use the steam store since then the answer as to which to get is pretty simple if they really want to use the steam store

Thank you very much everyone for your answers, the truth is I had no idea about LE, I thought it was still available to buy everything together (I have not done research yet, first I wanted opinions) as ignorant in programming or moding, whatever it's called, I think better I will go for SE, from what I understood LE requires some knowledge about making mods or modifying them, or in that case "adjusting" them, subject in the as mentioned I am completely ignorant, I also do not have a super computer that allows me to see the characters in 4k, but hey I can play Fallout 4 on it, so I guess I wouldn't risk so much buying Skyrim too, once again thank you all very much! : D

5 hours ago, endgame † addiction said:

Neither. Come play Fallout 3 instead.

Im already playing the 4 actually xD

If you want to get on with SE look this guide here up

Not for the modlist, naturally you will get what you want, but for the explanation. mostly used it for the preinstall and the sexlab section and i am posting this guide so often.. I should put a link to it in my signature ?

It will save you some time ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 3:40 AM, Distortedrealms said:

There are a load of myths about SE being more stable than LE but that's just mostly nonsense if a person knows what they are doing.

That's the problem though, 95% of users don't know what they're doing. Not that many people even read descriptions and dependencies properly, let alone know how to look under the hood of mods, check compatibility, measure script load, fix any issues in XEdit/Creation Kit etc etc. For those reasons, SSE is better for them.

My own experience corroborates this because when I first got SSE I went nuts with trying out random mods, just testing the waters and being a generally very sloppy modder. I had conflicting crap up the wazoo and it was very hard for me to get a CTD, and in the rare instances I did it was always a single identifiable thing that when fixed stopped the problem. I can't remember the last random CTD I had.

With LE I took one step out of line and my game folded faster than Superman on laundry day and hello desktop (this was early days in LE though haha)

15 minutes ago, Rekuna said:

That's the problem though, 95% of users don't know what they're doing. Not that many people even read descriptions and dependencies properly, let alone know how to look under the hood of mods, check compatibility, measure script load, fix any issues in XEdit/Creation Kit etc etc. For those reasons, SSE is better for them.

My own experience corroborates this because when I first got SSE I went nuts with trying out random mods, just testing the waters and being a generally very sloppy modder. I had conflicting crap up the wazoo and it was very hard for me to get a CTD, and in the rare instances I did it was always a single identifiable thing that when fixed stopped the problem. I can't remember the last random CTD I had.

With LE I took one step out of line and my game folded faster than Superman on laundry day and hello desktop (this was early days in LE though haha)

That's fair, and I really don't have an issue per se with people using SSE, whatever works for them is for the better. I just get salty at the divide that SSE caused. Wish the two versions were better compatible but I think it was done on purpose for people to move to SSE and have more potential creation club buyers. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, Distortedrealms said:

That's fair, and I really don't have an issue per se with people using SSE, whatever works for them is for the better. I just get salty at the divide that SSE caused. Wish the two versions were better compatible but I think it was done on purpose for people to move to SSE and have more potential creation club buyers. 

Yes...and No.

Remember Creation Club was announced a YEAR After SE was Released. (SE launching in October 2016 and Creation Club a Year later after a week beta.)

While I agree the pushing of SE NOW is due to creation club, I don't think that was the intent to push it from the onset. What I DO think caused the compatibility issues was Bethesda essentially spot-welding the "Improvements" From Fallout 4 into Skyrim SE. Including making it an x64 application, (which actually WAS a good improvement. I don't care what anyone says, Breaking the 4GB limit for 32bit application is FAAAAAR to easy, even modern Sims 2 players have this problem) The problem with the spot-welding was that Not only did this chance certain programmings of the OG Skyrim. Making it an x64 application also changed how Memory is addressed (This is simply by nature...even if Bethesda just kept the normal Skyrim engine and made it x64 bit it would've done the same thing.)

Guess which Program was memory address dependent

Specifically for Script Extension

SKSE AND ANY GODDAMN MOD THAT USES IT.

In terms of which one I choose...I can take or leave either.

While I despise SE's Lighting changes, LE 4GB Limitation is probably the main reason I moved away. Especially for things like ENB. I'd say though if you don't have a More Modern Machine I would just prefer LE.

Basically, If you have a weaker system and thus the 4GB limitation doesn't matter to you, Get LE and Enjoy more Sophisticated Mods like HDT-PE and the likes.

Have a stronger system that you want to push to the absolute ends, SE and enjoy some of the better Texture mods and more active Modding community. (Just Get an ENB and a good reshade to unfuck the lighting.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, Evilken42 said:

Yes...and No.

Remember Creation Club was announced a YEAR After SE was Released. (SE launching in October 2016 and Creation Club a Year later after a week beta.)

While I agree the pushing of SE NOW is due to creation club, I don't think that was the intent to push it from the onset. What I DO think caused the compatibility issues was Bethesda essentially spot-welding the "Improvements" From Fallout 4 into Skyrim SE. Including making it an x64 application, (which actually WAS a good improvement. I don't care what anyone says, Breaking the 4GB limit for 32bit application is FAAAAAR to easy, even modern Sims 2 players have this problem) The problem with the spot-welding was that Not only did this chance certain programmings of the OG Skyrim. Making it an x64 application also changed how Memory is addressed (This is simply by nature...even if Bethesda just kept the normal Skyrim engine and made it x64 bit it would've done the same thing.)

Guess which Program was memory address dependent

Specifically for Script Extension

SKSE AND ANY GODDAMN MOD THAT USES IT.

In terms of which one I choose...I can take or leave either.

While I despise SE's Lighting changes, LE 4GB Limitation is probably the main reason I moved away. Especially for things like ENB. I'd say though if you don't have a More Modern Machine I would just prefer LE.

Basically, If you have a weaker system and thus the 4GB limitation doesn't matter to you, Get LE and Enjoy more Sophisticated Mods like HDT-PE and the likes.

Have a stronger system that you want to push to the absolute ends, SE and enjoy some of the better Texture mods and more active Modding community. (Just Get an ENB and a good reshade to unfuck the lighting.)

yeah honestly the whole 4gb thing really fucks me, my LE was already and still is at the near limits of what i can hold within it, i am surprised just how long it has hold up despite the 200 something mods i have enabled lots of them being script heavy btw. i cannot ignore the fact that SSE has alot more improvements going into it's favor whether that be the much better lighting system, improved shadows and overall ability to allow much larger scale battles without many npcs just standing around. And it being 64bit which helps it utilize alot of systems especially mine because i know LE is not utilizing my system entirely being 32bit.

Believe me i used to be a SSE hater, but since i switched SSE "which i don't care what anyone says, it is more stable THAT IS NO MYTH come at me in the comments if you want but remember this SSE is 64bit well LE is 32bit so of course it is going to have advantages for many users rather that be visuals or better stability" Anyways i never had much issues since playing SSE and take back every negative thing i have falsely said about SSE in the past. 

On 3/28/2021 at 5:40 AM, Distortedrealms said:

There are a load of myths about SE being more stable than LE but that's just mostly nonsense if a person knows what they are doing. An unstable load order, or compatibility issue, will break either of them because its the same game in the end. People bark about how SE is so stable and LE is not possible to get stable but I can vouch that my LE setup crashes ONLY if windows does something stupid outside of the game, I run it at Ugrids=7 easily, I use an ENB, and 2k landscape textures, and my character has 4k skin textures and I NEVER drop below 60fps and my game is smooth sailing all the way. Even in famous spots like the Dragons reach stairs I never lose FPS. All things that SE users say is impossible :P  

It's more stable due to the removal of 4GB limit. Those textures you mention don't stress the game engine. all you need is a lot of VRAM. Scripts do. 30 fighting NPCs in the same cell with scripts attached to every one of them do. Requiem, a lot of LL mods.  303 active plugins, including 3 large merges.

And on SSE with Display Tweaks you can get far more than 60 fps. I'm running SSE on 90+ FPS everywhere with G-Sync (smooth as silk, zero lag) and no physics issues, on a heavily modded game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:40 PM, Distortedrealms said:

Just do a search on google for Skyrim special edition problems/issues, and you will get countless results just like the original game had since 2011. Its the same game under the hood. The simple fact is LE has all the third party tools to get the game as stable as SE, meaning if you take the time to learn the process it surpasses SE is every way. 

But again, if SE is making some people happy, go nuts but in my opinion I think the whole SE reissue was a greedy decision to sell mods, and the result was it cut the modding community in half and just caused a useless schism. 

This is insane for a million technical reasons. SE lets me run a very similar load order using open cities without crashing and at 60+ FPS. The 64 bit executable is infinitely more stable with large load orders.

Could Bethesda have patched LE to 64 bit? Probably, but that would've also broken a lot of shit mod wise.

SE also has the fake ugrids config option that makes grids past 5 load prettier without actually loading them npc/script wise which is another boon.

I swapped to SE and so far it's been pretty good. I think if you're okay with starting over and you're not totally invested in LE it's worth a shot. ENBs are still an issue but a lot of mod authors are forgoing support for LE and there are often replacements for old LE mods on SE. If you're mostly playing just for screenshots though, LE is still awesome.