Should I switch from oldrim to SE

4 hours ago, Danks said:

This is insane for a million technical reasons. SE lets me run a very similar load order using open cities without crashing and at 60+ FPS. The 64 bit executable is infinitely more stable with large load orders.

Could Bethesda have patched LE to 64 bit? Probably, but that would've also broken a lot of shit mod wise.

SE also has the fake ugrids config option that makes grids past 5 load prettier without actually loading them npc/script wise which is another boon.

Well I am genuinely happy you have a working skyrim and that is what matters. But for the sake of defending my post you need to understand in my game I am running a decent ENB, ugrids 7, dense grass mods at 25, and mostly 2k landscape/architecture, and my characters body textures at 4k and I never dip below 60fps. That is on legendary. I only get one crash that is reproducible with FNIS xxl near max animations and that's only at startup and happens only 5% of the time and never after a game loads. I use Mator-Smash, and X-edit to create a patch for my loadorder, all the skse plugs that fix crashes, and I never use loot to sort my massive LO and instead do it by hand. I use mods that delete useless hidden meshes/textures to save Vram and I use Ordenador to resize (not compress) almost all textures in my mod list maintaining texture fidelity. My game stability will match, and quite frankly, exceed that of most SSE users. The one that gets me is I can look down from dragonsreach into whiterun and have not one bit of lag and some SSE users say that is impossible in LE. Give me a break. 

Listen, In the end my game runs amazing, your game also runs amazing, we both win. But to say Legendary can't match SE is just not a valid argument because all the tools exist to make LE stable. what hurts Skyrim is still the same thing at its heart regardless if it is 32bit, or 64bit, and that's the fragile engine is is based on and that is for the end-user to overcome the best they can.

I've been forced to switch to Skyrim SE due to foul sorcery (AMD drivers). I don't know that I'll make it permanent, but it's good to have an alternative. There are some things I like better in SSE and other things I like better in Skyrim LE. Both games are stable when you install their respective fixes. Choose the version that best suits your needs. My preference is Skyrim LE.

Edited by Jeff_9
On 5/30/2021 at 3:49 AM, Jeff_9 said:

I've been forced to switch to Skyrim SE due to foul sorcery (AMD drivers). I don't know that I'll make it permanent, but it's good to have an alternative. There are some things I like better in SSE and other things I like better in Skyrim LE. Both games are stable when you install their respective fixes. Choose the version that best suits your needs. My preference is Skyrim LE.

Idk why but I could never get oldrim stable, it would always CTD at some point even after carefully creating patches. The same modlist on SSE (with around 50% more mods) is way more stable, I believe it has to do with the fact oldrim is in 32 bit and has some limitations.

I would probably still be playing oldrim had I solved these CTD issues, but the newer mods made for SSE are sometimes not available for LE, whereas most of the LE mods are convertable (depends if they come with a dll, those aren't easily convertable)

Just switched a few month ago from LE to SE. Never played Skyrim a whole lot but once a year/once every 2 years I get back to it for a bit. One thing I noticed over the last 2 years when I was looking for new mods is that SE gets a lot more actual new mods than LE. Which was the main reason I went and made a temporary switch to SE to check it out.

My LE was tricked out visually (2k-4k textures, ENB, Dyndolod,...), my load order had about 110-120 esps/esms. My LE was very stable over the last 2 years, I mean if you don't trust LOOT blindly and know a little bit about modding and troubleshooting its not that hard to get LE stable.

My SE uses basically the same modlist as my LE. Some mods didn't exist for SE so I converted them or used something that was pretty close. You can even use some LE mods in SE without doing anything to it aside from texture and mesh optimizations.

What I noticed pretty quick is that SE is a lot quicker in almost everything (like loading, saving, ...). I also think SE looks better than LE (both completely tricked out with customized ENB and everything). I also had some micro stutters in LE in some areas when quickly turning which are also gone in SE. Some mods gave performance (low fps) issues in LE, like JK's Cities, those are also gone in SE.

Pretty much the only downside of SE I experienced was that some LE mods are not available in SE. Which sometimes those LE mods can be made compatible with SE and if not there are often alternatives which do the same or almost do the same thing.

So after a few days of testing it became pretty clear that overall SE is a better foundation to build on imo. Haven't touched LE since.

2 hours ago, smilyface said:

What I noticed pretty quick is that SE is a lot quicker in almost everything (like loading, saving, ...). I also think SE looks better than LE (both completely tricked out with customized ENB and everything). I also had some micro stutters in LE in some areas when quickly turning which are also gone in SE. Some mods gave performance (low fps) issues in LE, like JK's Cities, those are also gone in SE.

Pretty much the only downside of SE I experienced was that some LE mods are not available in SE. Which sometimes those LE mods can be made compatible with SE and if not there are often alternatives which do the same or almost do the same thing.

So after a few days of testing it became pretty clear that overall SE is a better foundation to build on imo. Haven't touched LE since.

^^^This.

Loads better, plays better, looks better for me even without a fucking enb. Agree that only downside is some mods not available. But the alternatives are good and very well done (clean/fewer errors/fewer unrelated edits). Vortex has also made modding much easier. Unless I run into something game-breaking while testing, I'm not going back to LE.

Haha, can't believe people not switching to SSE, huge tons of new mods unavailable on LE, removal of 256 plugin limit, 3BA body, updated SMP plugin,CBPC,  shit loads of other cool stuff like

Dynamic Animation Replacer,

SPID,

Quick Loot,

SSE Display Tweaks,

No Grass in Objects,

NetScript Framework,

EngineFixes,

Smooth Cam,

Rudy ENB for Cathedral Weather,

LUX,

Water For ENB,

EmberXD

RaceMenu High Heels

Animation Motion Revolution

OStim

Just too many new mods to list, for Sex mods, 99% are compatible out of the box, unconverted mods just needs like 2 minutes to convert unless they haven't been updated for 8 years or it was broken in LE anyway , like easy as fuck. SMH

Edited by NoJoker
On 5/30/2021 at 8:07 AM, Distortedrealms said:

Well I am genuinely happy you have a working skyrim and that is what matters. But for the sake of defending my post you need to understand in my game I am running a decent ENB, ugrids 7, dense grass mods at 25, and mostly 2k landscape/architecture, and my characters body textures at 4k and I never dip below 60fps. That is on legendary. I only get one crash that is reproducible with FNIS xxl near max animations and that's only at startup and happens only 5% of the time and never after a game loads. I use Mator-Smash, and X-edit to create a patch for my loadorder, all the skse plugs that fix crashes, and I never use loot to sort my massive LO and instead do it by hand. I use mods that delete useless hidden meshes/textures to save Vram and I use Ordenador to resize (not compress) almost all textures in my mod list maintaining texture fidelity. My game stability will match, and quite frankly, exceed that of most SSE users. The one that gets me is I can look down from dragonsreach into whiterun and have not one bit of lag and some SSE users say that is impossible in LE. Give me a break. 

Listen, In the end my game runs amazing, your game also runs amazing, we both win. But to say Legendary can't match SE is just not a valid argument because all the tools exist to make LE stable. what hurts Skyrim is still the same thing at its heart regardless if it is 32bit, or 64bit, and that's the fragile engine is is based on and that is for the end-user to overcome the best they can.

LE sucks comparing to SE, bro, it's 2021, nobody is developing mods solely for LE anymore, look at the new essential SSE mods unavailable on LE, too many, wake up lmao

Edited by NoJoker
22 hours ago, NoJoker said:

LE sucks comparing to SE, bro, it's 2021, nobody is developing mods solely for LE anymore, look at the new essential SSE mods unavailable on LE, too many, wake up lmao

Just because you think you are right doesn't mean you have to belittle someone elses opinion. There are still things that speak in favor of LE and I say that as an SSE user.

Edited by Tiress
8 hours ago, NoJoker said:

Damn...... the 'BRO' technique..... No one has ever made such a valid argument in favor of SSE. Guess I will switch.

All jokes aside, when all the mods I am used to having in my list are ever converted, or replacements are finally made, I will switch. For now I have a huge amount of mods, no crashes/fps drops, and can run ugrids=7 with no side effects so there really is no point to switch atm. Plus I am getting quite good at backporting most mods I see as decent so the argument that I will never be able to use SSE mods is just silly. But once again, you enjoy a working Skyrim and so do I, we just use different versions to get the results we want. No one loses.

I actually downloaded SSE, and will admit I was a little excited to try it as some older mods finally had replacements to inspire me to jump over, but I can not believe they got rid of MSAA, with the only 100% means to get rid of all aliasing completely being SGSSAA+MSAA through Nividia Inspector, for TAA......The aliasing in the game, even with TAA to max, is....disgusting. Why the hell would Bethesda implement such an inferior replacement? I must have been babied by SGSSAA+MSAA on LE I can't do it. You all must be used to it or something but it is such a step down in quality. I am bummed.

18 hours ago, Distortedrealms said:

I actually downloaded SSE, and will admit I was a little excited to try it as some older mods finally had replacements to inspire me to jump over, but I can not believe they got rid of MSAA, with the only 100% means to get rid of all aliasing completely being SGSSAA+MSAA through Nividia Inspector, for TAA......The aliasing in the game, even with TAA to max, is....disgusting. Why the hell would Bethesda implement such an inferior replacement? I must have been babied by SGSSAA+MSAA on LE I can't do it. You all must be used to it or something but it is such a step down in quality. I am bummed.

I think both SE and LE AA options are not really that good.  I always used ENB AA options and ENB super sampling in LE and SE.

With SE you can also get reshade which has an SMAA option or extension which is supposed to be pretty good.

I think when I switched, LE looked also a tad bit sharper than SE but I did some tweaks to my ENB which made it better. I also had one setting (which came from LE and wasn't compatible or working right with SE) in one ini file that was fucking with my grass, which made it look kinda low res. After fixing those and with SE just looking better overall and being quicker and smoother I kinda forgot about the tad bit more sharpness in LE.

Edited by smilyface
grammar
  • 1 month later...

SE need more pc power cpu/gpu /ctd zero

LE need less pc power CPU/GPU / ctd random ( engine 32 suck) even with beast machine and all fix 

the news mods are better in SE / the older mod are better in LE

no one force you to play one of them , it up to you to chose after testing

my self after 5 yaers in LE and switch to SE and never go back why ? : no ctd , better performance , less bugs with mods

an RPG with more then 200 h with ctd and bugs kill game like (cyberpunk ....)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 8:59 PM, chevalierx said:

the news mods are better in SE / the older mod are better in LE

I just installed SE and collected all mods that I found iteresting. I don't remember any mod I wanted to use that isn't SE-ified yet - the conversions seem to have picked up pace during the last months. The only problem is that SE conversions are often buried in some threads and difficult to find.

Actually, pruning dead mod seems to be a benificial side effect of SE, while other Games like FO3 are annoying to mod because it's less obvious which mods are dead, not working or simply haven't been updated for a long while. With Skyrim, SE conversions are quickly checked by the userbase, and ony "working" mods seem to be converted. If something hasn't been SE-ified, there's probably a better successor that does about the same thing.

If you see mods working on SE, please notify the compatibility tracking thread:

Edited by BillyG
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering that I have high end gaming computers,  SSE is pretty much a no brainer for me.  I haven't played LE in a very long time although I've been sitting on SKSE 2.0.12 for a very long time but my older computer needed it's hard drive replaced and I did just that (after deleting every Steam game on the old HD) and I figured it's a good time as any to really update SSE to the latest version on that drive.  

In the worst case, I have my old SSE game saved to a USB as well as it's NMM setup. 

Doing same thing with Fallout 4 too...gonna be alot of work on the new hard drive but I know what mods I want and how to go about it.

The plan is to build both, then transfer copies to a USB drive and install on my main computer if things go well on my "test" computer.

Edited by Celedhring

That will heavily depend on the upgrade pricing and available patches for CC content. I think all CC armors have bodyslide files by now, and I think making the jump from ineed to the survival mod is going to clear a few issues as well.

For the extra quests, it will heavily depend on what's in the package and what it will be costing.

Also, how quickly all mods with skse requirements will be updated.

• Ashal unpinned this topic