Should I switch from oldrim to SE

I am wondering if SE is even worth it. Vanilla seems to work alright as the vanilla game never crashed for freezed on me and runs smoothly (the graphics may not be pretty; but that's what mods are for), mods being updated all the time with new ones still coming out without worrying about game updates breaking them and with the right mods, it can be more or less stable.

It still crashes on me; but can at least play for awhile before it happens and it usually due to mod conflicts and all that, so it crashes less once the issues are solved and I doubt it would be much different with SE as there will still be conflicts or too many animation issues for some people (I think it depends on how much your computer can handle or having too many things run in the background, so some problems will always exist no matter which version you have). 

I have LE and I am content with it. It has all the mods I want and more. 

Play what you want. Why do I care unless you are insulting me (fanatic? Really? That's pretty childish to call people that over their preferences of which version of the same game and all that)? Once you get into modding, there is always going to be the risk of added problems. It comes with the territory. 

1 hour ago, CyberGox said:

This still doesn't resolve all memory related issues like FootIK CTD. You will have to learn, dig and waste time on all memory nonsense and even after every applied fix you still will be encounter new one. I don't say there wouldn't be any in SE, but it takes much more time and bigger mod load to get to them, you will waste less time on just fixes on focus more on direct modding.

There's readily available .dll's to solve all of this. I'm not sure how much there is to "learn". You literally ctrl+ c / ctrl +v them into your SKSE/Plugins/ folder; which we've already established everyone has.

Some examples of such .dll's: AnimationLoadingFix.dll, BugFixPlugin.dll, CrashFixPlugin.dll, Safetyload.dll, SrtCrashFix.dll etc etc...

If you completely re-do your modlist with clean installs often you can even just keep them ALL in a folder named 'Plugins' and then just drop it into your SKSE folder, done.

The only real difference that I've noticed between the two versions is that Special Edition is more capable of remaining stable when using lots of script heavy mods. That and the addition of the esl/esp-fe format for plug-ins. The latter is the biggest advantage that the update has over the original release.

Not everyone runs an extremely script heavy load out nor do they have any interest in loading up with thousands of light plug-ins so they have little to no reason to move to another version of the game where they would have to either install new versions of old mods or convert them for themselves. 

While it is cute that BGS gave out copies of SE for free to users who had the complete LE package, it is still far more inconvenient than providing a simple toggle between 32-bit and 64-bit that other updated game engines have or if they had taken the preventative route of just making the PC version of the game 64-bit to begin with.

Blame the concept of Console Parity for the inconvenience of the mod community being split in any way. At the very least, 32-bit engines will never again be an issue going forward from Fallout 4.

6 hours ago, HexBolt8 said:

Oh, I'm sure that you're not alone in your frustration.  It's unfortunate that SE is a separate game and mods are not compatible between the two versions without being ported.

I use Oldrim and I'm perfectly happy with it.  By avoiding loading it with junk, my game is fast and stable, crashes are very rare, and I have a huge selection of mods to choose from.  My favorite older mods all work.  I have things customized and configured exactly the way I like, so I have no desire to convert.

That's the other side of the coin.  It's a personal choice, depending on what the player wants.  You're certainly not alone in being frustrated, though.  I've seem many similar comments.  It's a problem.

agree.Oldrim runs much better on my pc. Some people such as well me have had problems getting sse to run.There is along list I found on youtube of things that can prevent sse from running an a pc and it's not the players fault and not the fault of the pc aka the pc is powerful enough to run the game but can't for one or more of those reasons.

So a lot of people have stuck with oldrim I had problems but finally figured out what the cause was and got sse to run and it runs ok but not as well as oldrim.

I still use LE because the thought of having to install/convert so many mods to get SSE on par with LE makes me want to smash my head against a fucking rock.

Another reason, this is just my opinion, I think SSE looks like shit.  The enbs on LE make a huge difference, and there isn't any enb on SSE (to my knowledge) that comes close.

There are still so many quest mods I haven't tried for LE either.  Haven't tried Beyond Reach, Falskaar, Dreamborne Isles, or Vigilant.

I am content with what I have with LE, lots of community fixes have made it plenty stable for me.

1 hour ago, CyberGox said:

This still doesn't resolve all memory related issues like FootIK CTD. You will have to learn, dig and waste time on all memory nonsense and even after every applied fix you still will be encounter new one. I don't say there wouldn't be any in SE, but it takes much more time and bigger mod load to get to them, you will waste less time on just fixes on focus more on direct modding.

First, you should never feel like "modding properly and going the extra mile to make sure everything works and is compatible" is a waste of time. I know you didn't mean that but I just wanted to point that out nonetheless.

Second, I haven't heard about FootIK CTD in ... ages ... . Moreover, LE is basically stable just using 3 mods which are conveniently pre-configured for you to just drag and drop into your game. How is that "learn, dig and waste time"?

And even if you run into problems, the chance the issue is already well-known in the community is so high that you'll probably have a fix within a day. This forum and its helpful users are proof of this (this applies to SE too of course).

On the other hand, in SE, you constantly run into the issue of "on no this mod is LE only what do I do now?" which cannot be solved unless you're capable of converting it to SE yourself or the mod author / another friendly modder is active and helpful. Which, in case of the FNIS CTD limit, took about 2-4 weeks until that got ported to SE.

Lastly, SE may be even more prone to cause new and unknown issues since it's newer and less "explored". The chance of encountering a mod-related bug is probably just as high, if not higher in SE than in LE.

5 hours ago, Kokan said:

how much resentment of LE fanatics...it has to itch you a lot when you are constantly scratching?

The problem isn't SE, it's SE evangelists like you that won't shut up about how "great" it is, when the facts of great are exactly three things, 64bit addressing and dx11 frametime resolves and ESL/ESM and that's it.

Despite being free for LE, SE has 25% of LE installs and that's pretty much the end of the argument, but do go ahead and keep posting your pics in the LE section like no one will notice when if SE was so much superior all the upvote whores would have migrated to it.

Also pretty telling that the people saying hey guys move to SE never read that there's an SE section and instead every three months we get these brain dead posts, which just highlights it's not SE, it's people playing SE that are the problem.

I moved only recently and I really liked SE a lot, both the graphic and the stability.

But it still lacks some essential mods of my LE, Requiem first of all (the conversion isn't the same). But also some other conversions, they don't seem fully working, i.e. Simply Knock (with updated dll and all) works only from time to time, most times noone answers even if I know they're at home, it never happened in LE to me. Probably with this stuff of CC the situation is still not fully stable.

But it also gave me the opportunity to try mods for SE I never tried before, like all EnaiSiaion, and overall I enjoyed a lot the experience.

Then, all of sudden, after 80 hours, it broke, without an apparent reason. No changes in LO, nothing. Checking cache, reloading old saves, nothing. It really made no sense. And I've lost any will to continue. LE for how unstable it could have been from time to time, it never tricked me like this.

36 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

The engine itself should incorporate all these features which SE does. It is first why it is better. It is frustrating when you do mod but don't see any change ingame because those are "behind-the-curtain" ones.
Second, FootIK always cause CTD on ~134th plugin if you don't have FootIK fix installed. This issue is rarely discussed and only veterans know about it, would take a lot of time for newbie to solve this, especially if he doesn't have CrashFixes. and probably would lead to complete uninstall, vicious cycle. Thus, this is the 2nd reason why SE is superior, it doesn't have all hideous and barely-known issues which can cause game to be unplayable at all. Or at least they are unnoticable because of memory difference.

Conversions are just a matter of time, almost all core mods are converted already. Also conversions usually fix "fubar" mods which are crashy for LE, side-effect on SE being more stable.

And seriously, you name "unknown issues"? Those issues would also most likely persist for LE, and if they wouldn't, LE has a plenty of it's own and they would outnumber SE for sure. But that's theory in a vacuum, no proofs, a nonsense, wouldn't even count this as a statement.

1 hour ago, firepunch1 said:

You have to know what to fix and where to find. Newbies don't know this. Also it takes time to discover all these fixes, not much people go for "Bugfix" section until you encounter an issue. Having crutches doesn't make look origin better, you know, it still would be just a buggy fubar.

And seriously guys, you are just trying to defend LE, no distinct claims on SE being worse, like "SE usually cause black face bugs when LE does not" or "SE corrupts saves far more often" or similar examples. You all know what that means, right?

P.S. this topic is a complete flame bait, I am out.

9 minutes ago, CyberGox said:

The engine itself should incorporate all these features which SE does.

Yes, it was a nice idea from Bethesda to fix know bugs, its just that these "incorporated features" are partly broken, insufficient and the reason why the mod "SSE engine fixes" exists, which is basically the counterpart of "crashfixes" for LE, but with fixes for new bugs they introduced in the new engine. GG. WP, Bethesda.

But, for me as well, it was fun (again) but my popcorn bag is empty... cheers

Anyone who has both versions could just use the two versions of the game to run two very different suites of mods, especially where overhaul mods are concerned. One can use the fact that BGS didn't just pack them both into one installer with one main menu as if they had any good sense among them to one's advantage that way. 

It really will be like they are two separate games and not just an incompetently rolled out update that they could have learned how to do better from EA Maxis of all development houses.

Had they worked on the CreationKit 64-bit version and given it out to everyone before they even thought about releasing Skyrim Special Edition in the same way that EA maxis gave out their updated version of Python to any modder who asked for it after warning them that a major change was coming, then it would have gone over just as smoothly as The Sims 4's transition from 32-bit to 64-bit (which most players likely do not even notice has occurred).

Come to think of it, there was not even an option to buy The Sims 4 64-bit version as it was always just an update rather than a much ballyhooed remastering which turns out to be much ado about nothing. That is probably because it was a PC game first and foremost at the time. 

Well, that escalated quickly. I suddenly remember why I typically try to avoid forums as a rule. Let me clear something up. This was NOT a bait post. It was a "I'm a total fracking noob to modding, I was extremely tired, and extremely frustrated" post that I honestly did not expect to blow up like this. I'm sure that lockdown isn't helping my attitude any either. I was just watching some youtube about mods as I had just re-installed SSE after leaving Skyrim behind another game years ago.

Let me get something straight here. I am NOT a vet modder. I am NOT a diehard skyrim fan. I don't even particularly like skyrim. I'm just a bored, and more importantly broke, computer power user that was looking for something to do while stuck at home. So no, this wasn't a bait post. This was a grumpy whiny bitchy post because as a power user, I know the value of 64bit over 32. for those that don't know... the maximum addressable memory for anything that is 32bit is 4 gigs. 232 = 4,294,967,296 bytes 4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096 MB = 4GB There's the math on it if you were wondering. 264 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 16EB (exabytes) and something that most people don't realize is that the larger your graphics card vram, the larger chunk of system ram (not exactly 1:1 tho) get's reserved specifically for caching data between the cpu and gpu. 

So yes, when I feel like playing skyrim, I'm an SSE bitch. I do a lot on my computer and have high demands on my ram so I require the stability that 64bit offers. That was the point of my exhausted and annoyed bitching. Thank you to the posters that tried to sympathize, piss off to those that got all butt hurt for whatever imagined slights. Admins, please feel free to delete this thread. I think i'm just gonna uninstall again and be done with this shit forever given some of these reactions.

wonder how many LE fanboys setup two identical graphical mod orders and I mean IDENTICAL down  to every  graphical mod, same textures , same enb, same weather mod,.. put it side by side in the same cells and exteriors different  times of day and weather conditions and compare it... guess none of you. Probably not even vanilla side by side comparison for that matter.

Also SSE was free..., so that "moneygrab only" ppl are babbling about if you didnt took advantage of this then that is your problem... #facepalm 

the sole reason people are freaking out and getting offended is because they  spent to many  boy-hours getting it to setup, mod it and lastly get it 100% stable but somehow it still crashes  :D randomly out of nowhere  despite being very "stable" , and the facts of 64bit are making them snowflakey and very emotional, ego is hurt when someone disagrees with their superior existence, LE vs SE is the same shit as MO2 vs Vortex vs NMM it comes down to a personal preference but under the hood the story is whole lot different... being smuggy, looking  down  on others even insulting because they cant handle criticism and that  dont share the  same opinion or  have different experience really is immature and something belonging into a kindergarten sandbox, looks like modding LE for 1000s of hours causes rhetorical and social skills to not develop fully :(  and then bugs bugs bugs BUGS are the same in LE as in SE thats  why  some great individuals correct this  shit prety much instantly and bethesda knows it and from their standpoint why would they fix anything if the community does the  job for them for free ( they must be retarded but who knows ), then people bitching about mods that work in LE flawlessly and not in SE  well i guess you can bitch to the author of the mod to fix it , polish  it, make it work like you imagine it must. Just yesterday  i watched someone who has  ULTIMATE LE MODDED 4K SUPERIOR modded Oldrim on a very  very good rig , it glitches, constant pop-ins, stutters,massive framedrops when  looking  at a rock or just turning,  dont let me  even  start on the battle... , if your perception of stability is the amount  of CTDs only then...enjoy the belief. Also  LOL @ DirectX9

I am "amazed" that i and a lot of people i know online and irl dont have any crashes any freezes any stutters ever anywhere in SE playing it hours upon hours without reloading the game once. I completed all main questlines,  tons of sidequests , tons of random stuff and a lot of hours just cruising around the world and exploring on foot and on horse with absolute 0 crashes and 245 esps and i went trough the whole map , which i cant say for LE  which was hanging constantly, infinite loading screens despite fixes, freezing and CTDing when meeting with a mudcrab or just simply walking on the road. And i play SE on the same PC as i played LE. 

I stuck it out with Oldrim for eight-plus years before an SSD crash killed it and made the game highly unstable even after getting a newer, better SSD (99% likely my fault). I switched to Newrim but I'm still fighting FPS loss I've narrowed down to either CBP and/or the fact the game is installed on my mechanical drive rather than my SSD. Or it could be I still have Oldrim installed and for some ungodly reason those two games conflict if they're on the same system.

Oldrim definitely still has the edge in the number of available mods and mods being developed. But if you're on this site you probably use a lot of mods that can and will cause it to become even more unstable without a thousand-and-one tweaks, fixes, and third-party utilities. Even then the engine can't utilize more than 4 GB of VRAM and the black skin bug can become a regular issue no matter what.

Newrim is more stable and can actually make better use of available system resources. But it lacks a lot of mods that Oldrim has, its frameworks aren't as refined as Oldrim's, and the Cancer Club breaks SKSE every time it gets an update. Still, you can use a lot more mods on it without CTD and I've never had the black skin bug despite using high-res skin textures. I still wish there was something ENBoost for Newrim, though. The FPS issue with my Newrim is identical to the one I had with Oldrim before using said utility.

22 hours ago, shadowlord445 said:

I still use LE because the thought of having to install/convert so many mods to get SSE on par with LE makes me want to smash my head against a fucking rock.

Another reason, this is just my opinion, I think SSE looks like shit.  The enbs on LE make a huge difference, and there isn't any enb on SSE (to my knowledge) that comes close.

Just dropping by to say I wholeheartedly agree with this, and these are the exact reasons I won't be touching SE anytime soon.

I have a carefully-crafted modlist and setup that seem to work fine and rebuilding them from scratch in SE (as good as possible considering lack of some mods) would be such a tremendous amount of pain I'd rather just have a glass of bleach instead. Not to say that the one mod I absolutely refuse to play Skyrim without now (Yiffy Age) is at best extremely buggy in SE even thought it works fine on LE and the conversion was supposedly done right as far as I can tell.

Also yes, SE looks like absolute garbage to me no matter how hard I try and how many ENB and graphic mods I use. Who cares about the game being "more stable" if it looks like someone smeared a litre of vaseline over the camera lens? If you combine that with the point above on rebuilding my modlist, I might as well just play any newer game. Result will be mostly the same except for the fact it will actually look good on top of it.

Does this mean LE is better than SE? Not necessarily. Depending on what you are after, one may be better than the other for you. I won't claim any of the two as the "only right answer". As I said, just wanted to say I share these thoughts and am glad I'm not the only one.

(Also maybe this way some of those SE evangelists that seemingly can't comprehend why someone would stick with "the inferior game" can realize there's actually valid reasons to do so, even if those reasons don't apply to them specifically).

I have no reason to switch to SE. Oldrim has all of my favorite mods, everything is configured to my liking and I even managed (with a lot of tard wrangling and pure fucking rage) to make it more stable. SE is supposedly more stable, but that's not a problem with my Oldrim. At least for now. Vanilla SE looks better than vanilla LE, but I don't give a fuck about graphics, and even if I did I could make LE look way prettier.

SE simply doesn't offer enough. It's not because YOU MUST DIE IF YOU LIKE SE or BETHESDA BAD. It just sucks. I'm not sure why people are so upset when someone praises or bashes SE or LE. Install whatever you want, mod it, play it. If you don't like it then switch to another version. If you know that you won't like the LE or SE then don't buy it. That's not rocket science.

Skyrim is a dumbed down buggy shitshow. Oldrim is a dumbed down buggy shitshow and Newrim is a dumbed down buggy shitshow. I'll consider buying "new" Skyrim if it adds attributes and spellmaking from Morrowind or Oblivion, otherwise I don't want any Super Special Platinum Aluminum TNT Edition even if Bethesda would give me a free copy.

21 hours ago, littlewytch said:

This was NOT a bait post.

Of course not, it was just your first ever post to LL in which you posted to the General Topic thread in the Community Forum, not even to one of the Skyrim forums. If you'd posted your rant to Skyrim SE forum I could have believed you but you put it where it would appear right at the top of the page.
You didn't expect this to happen? Really are you that naive? Have you not been on the internet before? Every post that has an LE vs SE format ends up like this to a certain degree but your... You fucking nailed it... Bravo..

TBH, I am more disappointed with how so many people bit and the way they did it. Seriously, argueing and insulting each other over which version of a computer game is better. Let's face it, if Skyrim had not had the modding tools available and/or modding community none of us would have put more than 100 hrs into the game.
And does it really matter?

Wait..What am I saying? According to evidence above, it matters a great deal to some of you. ?

First world problems, I guess.

29 minutes ago, Surverx said:

Hello.

What is better, LE or SE?

Depends on the situation.

Copypasta:

"Le" versus "Se"

Le is used as the indirect object pronoun. It references to whom you are doing an action.
Dale el libro = Give the book to him! Who is getting the book? He is, so we use le. We also use le while the indirect object is stated:
Lanzale el disco a mi hermano = Throw the Frisbee to my brother. Who is getting the Frisbee? My brother is. Note how we use "le" even though the indirect object is stated (my Brother).
Se has a bunch of meaning. The two that are pertinent to your question are 1) Its use in reflexive verbs and 2) When we use both object pronouns.
1) Reflexive Verbs. There is a class of verbs that are called Reflexive (or at least that's what I call them. I think there's a proper grammar name for them, but it escapes me at the moment). Ducharse (To shower) is one of them. You use se when you conjugate these verbs.
Se ducha cada día = He showers daily.
Se despertó = He woke up.
2) When we use object pronouns together. When you use both "le / les" and "lo/la/los/las", it gets really hard to pronounce the words.
"Le lo di"? I think not. So, we change the "le/les" to "se"
"Se lo di" (I gave it to him)? Much better!

Hope this helps. :)

Ok, I'll also give a non-shitpost answer:

You might have noticed by now that I couldn't care less.

Because it's the same boring ass game.

Oldrim was stable enough after years and years of patching by Bethesda itself and more importantly by external modders.

SE has the advantage that it looks better out of the box, doesn't really need an ENB. But it has fewer available mods. But then again new mods are sometimes SE exclusive, or some mods get patched more often for SE so I don't know.

Overall I would prefer Skyrim VR which is SE with some additions but I get nausea from playing that. Something is off with the head movement in that game.