Should I switch from oldrim to SE

On 3/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, Celedhring said:

The interesting thing about the current crisis is that I've seen an explosion of mods on Nexus.  I guess alot of people have nothing but time on their hands. Anyway...been playing nothing but SE on both machines.  I keep a copy of the game and mods on an USB drive for emergencies. 

Yeah, especially translations mods from certain countries.

Am I the only person wondering why mods are still being made and updated for oldrim when SSE is so much better? So many times I heard about this or that supposedly awesome lover's lab mod, only to find it is not compatible with SSE and it's so *#&!@^& frustrating! Example: after a lot of digging, i finally found a port for Skyrim Utility Mod (SUM) to SSE only to click on view file and find it missing, seemingly removed for whatever reason. If I weren't broke AF thanks to lockdown, I would even be willing to pay decent money for some of these mods... but only if they existed for SSE. Oldrim feels like trash compared to SSE and will never again poison my system. Am I the only person annoyed by this crap?

Oh, I'm sure that you're not alone in your frustration.  It's unfortunate that SE is a separate game and mods are not compatible between the two versions without being ported.

I use Oldrim and I'm perfectly happy with it.  By avoiding loading it with junk, my game is fast and stable, crashes are very rare, and I have a huge selection of mods to choose from.  My favorite older mods all work.  I have things customized and configured exactly the way I like, so I have no desire to convert.

That's the other side of the coin.  It's a personal choice, depending on what the player wants.  You're certainly not alone in being frustrated, though.  I've seem many similar comments.  It's a problem.

21 minutes ago, littlewytch said:

Am I the only person wondering why mods are still being made and updated for oldrim when SSE is so much better? So many times I heard about this or that supposedly awesome lover's lab mod, only to find it is not compatible with SSE and it's so *#&!@^& frustrating! Example: after a lot of digging, i finally found a port for Skyrim Utility Mod (SUM) to SSE only to click on view file and find it missing, seemingly removed for whatever reason. If I weren't broke AF thanks to lockdown, I would even be willing to pay decent money for some of these mods... but only if they existed for SSE. Oldrim feels like trash compared to SSE and will never again poison my system. Am I the only person annoyed by this crap?

What's so much better about it?

CC updates that break half your mods?

Smaller mod selection?

Worse graphics?

54 minutes ago, bandygirl1 said:

What's so much better about it?

CC updates that break half your mods?

Smaller mod selection?

Worse graphics?

I have more:

- Newly introduced 64bit engine bugs that are still somewhat unfixed to this date? (because many modders dont care about SE)

- A lower FNIS animation limit than LE?

- Less ENB Presets and no good SweetFX + ENB Combo that comes even close to the visual quality LE offers?

- Splitting the community into LE and SE users?

Skyrim SE is the worst piece of shit that ever happened to the modding community and is nothing more than a cashgrab from Bethesa; re-release Skyrim on all platforms; easy money.

And, as I said above, it introduced new and still problematic bugs, because it's fucking Bethesda and they dont care at all about Quality-Assurance.

I'm speaking from a (small) modders/scripters perspective btw... so i think i know what im talking about.

Bethesda promised us a new, optimized, bug-free 64 bit engine "that just works" and they completely fucked it up in my opinion.

SE should have never happened. Instead, Bethesda should have made a (forced) patch/overhaul for LE and fix their mess.

Now, we have 2 problematic engines (whereas LE is mostly fixed by the community) and a split community... Great...

Also, why yet another LE vs SE thread? There are literally dozens on this platform already... 

Im slightly drunk and from Germany btw so please excuse me if im being too harsh with my words xD 

Its easter and Corona-lockdown so there's little more to do than drink... drink... drink... :D

56 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Now, we have 2 problematic engines (whereas LE is mostly fixed by the community) and a split community... Great...

This is so on point. Some technical details can be argued and at the end of the day it's a matter of preference/convenience. But having mod authors and users splitted across two different modding platforms (not even counting consoles) is IMO the worst possible outcome.

1 hour ago, XenonS3 said:

- A lower FNIS animation limit than LE?

But this is not true. FNIS allows for up to 10k anim (32k with FNIS XXL) in both LE and SE. That limit can be increased beyond the "CTD at loading save" point with Animation Loading fix, which is also available in both LE and SE.

SSE was Bethesda throwing a bone to console players who had been stuck with vanilla since 2011. I'm not saying it's entirely bad, in some cases it can even be the "better choice" depending on what you're after, but I prefer LE because of what it's currently capable of. I'm not happy that it split the modding community though, in that sense it would've been better if it was never released.  

42 minutes ago, Kokan said:

how much resentment of LE fanatics...it has to itch you a lot when you are constantly scratching?

Keep your STD to yourself. ?

And stop scratching!

It will make your rash only worse ?

3 minutes ago, OOH SHINY! said:

Keep your STD to yourself. ?

And stop scratching!

It will make your rash only worse ?

i have no problem with that, i use both, I ported everything I wanted, even backport some mods for LE

I was using Oldrim for 5 or almost 6 years constantly and I am glad I switched for SE because it is much more stable. None of those LE fanatics take in considiration the fact that LE crashes after reaching 3gb+ RAM load, SE has much bigger cap. This really helps to resolve a lot of issues on huge mod loads.

1 hour ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

But this is not true. FNIS allows for up to 10k anim (32k with FNIS XXL) in both LE and SE. That limit can be increased beyond the "CTD at loading save" point with Animation Loading fix, which is also available in both LE and SE.

Allright, I didn't know that. The last time I checked, the FNIS fixes (and most importantly the newest one that "completely" removes the CTD limit) wasn't available for SE.

1 hour ago, Kokan said:

how much resentment of LE fanatics...it has to itch you a lot when you are constantly scratching?

Yes, If i see a games company completely fuck up and basically re-integrate all engine bugs once again and ignore a wholesome and year-long active community, then yes, I begin to resent the final product that comes out of it. 

SE should have been a patch to LE. Period.

All it did was create easy money for Bethesda and fuck things up for everyone else.

Yes, i resent that. And I'm fucking right to do so.

21 minutes ago, CyberGox said:

I was using Oldrim for 5 or almost 6 years constantly and I am glad I switched for SE because it is much more stable. None of those LE fanatics take in considiration the fact that LE crashes after reaching 3gb+ RAM load, SE has much bigger cap. This really helps to resolve a lot of issues on huge mod loads.

Completely outdated and thus false information. LE can easily handle up to 10 GB of VRAM (ever since Windows 10 build 1709 - thanks to Microsofts DX9 memory overhaul) + 6GB (possibly more) of RAM thanks to multi-process RAM usage (ENBseries creates additional processes that can store RAM for Skyrim).

Get your facts right before you argue.

Final thought: This has nothing to do with "LE fanatics". It's based upon simple facts. If some people can't see that or refuse to see reason, whatever. I don't care.

At the end of the day, LE is better and hasn't crashed for me in ... months ... I dont even remember the last time it did ...

19 minutes ago, CyberGox said:

That has not been true for a very long time.

@bandygirl1 has the right of it. If you get the basic stability tools and don't do stupid things (and you can do stupid things with SE too) you can have a perfectly stable LE game. I do. CTD or freeze is rare and is always caused (in my game) by some shit running in the background that won't listen to me when I tell it not to run while I'm playing Skyrim! ?

26 minutes ago, Kokan said:

the bait will not erase the fact that there are people ready to throw stones at you...even for something that is just a game

Yeah right, calling LE users "fanatics" while believing they are the ones throwing stones at you... Nice ignorance you have going on there...

You were to first one to use insults in this thread so don't act like you don't deserve the backlash you rightfully got for that.

Besides, I personally am not throwing stones. I just wont leave facts that are totally false and ignorant stand there without being corrected/called out... 

In all my years on this forum, I haven't seen a single thread (about SE vs LE) where SE users had any kind of real, verified arguments that SE is better. None.

It all ends up like this, SE users starting to whine and resorting to insulting, like you did.

Think about that for a while... let it sink in.

12 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Yeah right, calling LE users "fanatics" while believing they are the ones throwing stones at you... Nice ignorance you have going on there...

Besides, I personally am not throwing stones. I just wont leave facts that are totally false and ignorant stand there without being corrected/called out... 

so right, LE players always have a problem with SE, absurd? they don't even play it ... HELLO!

what would you call it?

7 minutes ago, Kokan said:

so right, LE players always have a problem with SE, absurd? they don't even play it ... HALO!

what would you call it?

This is not true.

I have a conceptual problem with SE and what it turned out to be.

If anyone wants to play it, fine.

But if anyone starts to argument how its better than LE, hold my beer, I will correct them. Because it's not.

If anyone ever manages to come up with good counter agruments - to convince me that there are some aspects where SE is superior over LE, I'll donate him/her a new coffee machine (or an english tea-set if thats more your style).

Come on, surprise me. I'm waiting for years for anyone to come up with something real instead of false informations or insults.

59 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

49 minutes ago, bandygirl1 said:

It's not a LE job to increase it's own memory, it is external utilities which do it. And Oldrim will always have a possibility to CTD after reaching more when 3gb RAM even with fixes. It's not even theory, it is a huge blood-written experience.
Basically, it is more about memory integrity and about SE having a single piece of huge memory chunk without any "wheelchairs" which helps him to do it.

1 minute ago, XenonS3 said:

This is not true.

I have a conceptual problem with SE and what it turned out to be.

If anyone wants to play it, fine.

But if anyone starts to argument how its better than LE, hold my beer, I will correct them. Because it's not.

If anyone ever manages to convince me that there are some aspects where SE is superior over LE, I'll donate him/her a new coffee machine.

Come on, surprise me. I'm waiting for years for anyone to come up with something instead of false informations or insults.

for God's sake it doesn't occur to me to convince you of anything, that's what I'm talking about...you are looking for evidence ... why?

will he get some spiritual peace of mind if i play a looser version of the game?

9 minutes ago, CyberGox said:

It's not a LE job to increase it's own memory, it is external utilities which do it. And Oldrim will always have a possibility to CTD after reaching more when 3gb RAM even with fixes. It's not even theory, it is a huge blood-written experience.
Basically, it is more about memory integrity and about SE having a single piece of huge memory chunk without any "wheelchairs" which helps him to do it.

Literally every setup uses SKSE and an ENB. Add 2 lines to your SKSE.ini and your memory is patched, then set however much VideoMemorySizeMB you want in enblocal.ini. (If you're unsure what amount to use the author of ENBSeries even has a tool that tells you what to set it to.)

9 minutes ago, firepunch1 said:

This still doesn't resolve all memory related issues like FootIK CTD. You will have to learn, dig and waste time on all memory nonsense and even after every applied fix you still will be encounter new one. I don't say there wouldn't be any in SE, but it takes much more time and bigger mod load to get to them, you will waste less time on just fixes on focus more on direct modding.