Site questions, comments, and suggestions

40 minutes ago, gregathit said:

The mod was taken down due to using parts from another mod without permission.

Really?  Wow. 

That mod was up there for a long time and nothing was changed.

And one person (pretty sure it was author) said they had permission for the sounds.

Not sure what else it could be.  Wierd.

Thank you for info.

On 6/1/2018 at 1:39 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

My Anti-virus keeps blocking malware on this site. Anyone know whats up with that? Never had this problem before. Using AVG.

I would like to elaborate on your post.
this thread has 0 harmful influences (no viruses), but visit a thread where many links, pictures, gifs are uploaded, there I can detect up to 16 harmful influences daily (phishing mails, trojan, even dangerous viruses)!
the reason for this is, many links, pictures, gifs come from not reputable websites, Russian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean!
I suppose Loverslab does not have the possibilities to check all links such as it on Nexus is the case.
I myself can accurately determine harmful influences and I advise everyone to install a good virus protection.

https://de.malwarebytes.com/

It's almost certainly coming from external links by others, most of them likely unintentional. But if there's a specific page that is giving this warning. PM me directly a link to LL page causing it so others don't see it linked here before I have a chance to clean it out. I can then check what links on that page are likely causes and fix it as needed by double checking the links on it, and potentially add some of them to the blacklist of unallowed domain links if necessary.

5 hours ago, Inte said:

Any reason 'Members Viewing This Topic' has been removed from the bottom of the topic page? 

4 hours ago, gregathit said:

It slows down the site to a crawl unfortunately.

I've added the recently browsing back, as it's less of a strain. We'll see how it goes now. It's mainly the big "Who's online" list on the front page that's an issue.

10 hours ago, CPU said:

Use

[code auto]

You can edit what it is in the code when editing the post and double clicking the code area.

Let's give it a try :

[img=image's url]

Nope, still can't post this code without it being eaten by the system. It's not that serious that being said. :classic_angel:

1 hour ago, winny257 said:

I would like to elaborate on your post.
this thread has 0 harmful influences (no viruses), but visit a thread where many links, pictures, gifs are uploaded, there I can detect up to 16 harmful influences daily (phishing mails, trojan, even dangerous viruses)!
the reason for this is, many links, pictures, gifs come from not reputable websites, Russian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean!

I think it must be so 'cause I'm using Avast as well and have no problem whatsoever when browsing LL. Smiley_jap_HFR.gif

Avast does precises what he blocks though : if it's an ad or an image, he identifies the virus spotted. If it's the whole site altogether maybe it's a matter of blacklist/setting in avast's parameters ? :classic_smile:

32 minutes ago, Ashal said:

It's almost certainly coming from external links by others, most of them likely unintentional. But if there's a specific page that is giving this warning. PM me directly a link to LL page causing it so others don't see it linked here before I have a chance to clean it out. I can then check what links on that page are likely causes and fix it as needed by double checking the links on it, and potentially add some of them to the blacklist of unallowed domain links if necessary.

I have already done this in the past, than @Grumpf was still moderator. I have shown him dangerous links, He without hesitation, removed.
Of course, if I discover extremely dangerous viruses, I will continue to do that.
only I will not reveal what options I use. :classic_wink:

31 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

I think it must be so 'cause I'm using Avast as well and have no problem whatsoever when browsing LL. Smiley_jap_HFR.gif

Avast does precises what he blocks though : if it's an ad or an image, he identifies the virus spotted. If it's the whole site altogether maybe it's a matter of blacklist/setting in avast's parameters ? :classic_smile:

but not swallowing now! :classic_laugh:
you use Avast, rating in Germany 2018 = 4.7 = bad!?
a good virus program like TotalAV Essential has a score of 1.0 = very good.

and my program is far better, not publicly available.:classic_wink:

Here are the best in Germany.

@winny257 is right about Avast: avoid this crap because the latests versions are full of false alerts and, even worse, let pass some serious menaces well known by other AV programs. I can recomand (if you want something free) the old MSE (Microsoft Security Essential) for Windows 7 or it's counterpart in Windows 10. As for a paid AV program, the Macafee VSE (professionnal version) is really good.

1 minute ago, Benmc20 said:

As for a paid AV program, the Macafee VSE (professionnal version) is really good.

McAfee is little better than spyware or a virus itself imo... There's a reason it's the only one (as far as I know) that has it's own specialized "get this the fuck off my computer" programs.

MSE/Defender is great, being completely free and from an obviously trustworthy source, but not a total solution for those who want/need that. It's all most people should need though, and so long as you also apply some common sense best practices when browsing the internet and know how to avoid potential problems in the first place; it's usually all you need.

"Avast!" used to be good, but from what I hear the current versions are pretty bad and/or money hungry.

I can't speak much for AVG, but I don't hear many great things these days about its free version.

Spybot S&D free version is super limited, and though useful, isn't a full solution here. It's paid version with added anti-virus seems decent to me from what I've used of it though. But I've found most of it's additional "active" protections to be more of an annoyance than anything. But same could be said of most of these programs. They all tend to be "overprotective" in some way in order to make it seem like they are doing something for your money, active browser scanning especially.

Window's built-in MSE/Defender is great and should serve for most as a minimal requirement, so long as you keep it up to date and let it regularly scan. But common sense when it comes to safe browsing practices is the best additional security measure of all. If you need more from an additional layer of security, just do your research first. (and probably don't pick McAffee.)

1 hour ago, winny257 said:

but not swallowing now! :classic_laugh:
you use Avast, rating in Germany 2018 = 4.7 = bad!?
a good virus program like TotalAV Essential has a score of 1.0 = very good.

and my program is far better, not publicly available.:classic_wink:

I use avast because it proved better than Avira's, which was himself better than AVG. And as I've been using Avast free for many years, and as if wasn't too heavy in terms of loads, I've become kinda loyal to them and bought a license.

Now, the "best" antiviruses programs do change with time. But so far I haven't catched any virus/malware as far as the eye can meet, so I'm still satisfied. Wasn't the case with AVG and Avira, so I've got some experience in manual virus removing now. ^^ I guess if I had to change I'd go to Kaspersky or Nod32 (though McAfee seems decent), as I used their online scan abilities successfully on some of the infected computers of my friends/familiy that I had to "cure". But for mine, no problem so far so it'll still be Avast for me. :classic_wink:

I don't use any of their side suites though. Just not convinced aside of antivirus, despite their constant inbuilt advertising. :classic_angel:

46 minutes ago, Ashal said:

"Avast!" used to be good, but from what I hear the current versions are pretty bad and/or money hungry.

I can't speak much for AVG, but I don't hear many great things these days about its free version.

Spybot S&D free version is super limited, and though useful, isn't a full solution here. It's paid version with added anti-virus seems decent to me from what I've used of it though. But I've found most of it's additional "active" protections to be more of an annoyance than anything. But same could be said of most of these programs. They all tend to be "overprotective" in some way in order to make it seem like they are doing something for your money, active browser scanning especially.

Window's built-in MSE/Defender is great and should serve for most as a minimal requirement, so long as you keep it up to date and let it regularly scan. But common sense when it comes to safe browsing practices is the best additional security measure of all. If you need more from an additional layer of security, just do your research first. (and probably don't pick McAffee.)

About Windows defender, I've got it at work and I strongly advice against it at home. Sure it does its minimal protection job decently, you're right about that, but the thing is horribly heavy in terms of loads, makes your boot time x2 or x3 longer and harasses your HDD at each reboot. ? To be used only by default and if you're a regular morning user of the beverage dispenser, that's my advice. :classic_angel:

Had Bitdefender before (at work). Seemed efficient too, but felt subjectively heavy too (though not as much as Windows Defender).

But we're getting  off topic. The point is Avast 18.4 with up-to-date viral base seems to work alright with LL's forum/blogs for me. :classic_smile:

37 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

I use avast because it proved better than Avira's, which was himself better than AVG. And as I've been using Avast free for many years, and as if wasn't too heavy in terms of loads, I've become kinda loyal to them and bought a license.

---snip---

You know, I'm unbeaten in tracking down images, gifs, etc. 
the same is true for viruses, to the source, if possible.
I help here if I detect extremely dangerous viruses, but how and with what, I will not reveal.
everyone should be able to protect their PC, with what programs, that everyone has to know for themselves.
I will not report any harmless Trojan or phishing mail I find here to Ashal, because everything costs time and my time is almost expired. :classic_laugh:

You're right about admins/moderators' time. And that's why, though I mentioned the "code" issue I must precise most of the time most of loverlabers won't suffer from it so it should be considered as "minor/can wait". It'll possibly get fixed in a future version of IPB, along side with a toggle on/off forum engine button in some distant future.

Btw, I've noticed private messenger got improved as we get redirected to last unread message now. Dunno who to thank about it, but it's a pleasant improvement. Smiley_jap_HFR.gif

Firstly, thanks for re-enabling embedded YouTube videos- a valid YouTube link now resolves into the embedded video. :classic_biggrin:

I have a "minor quality-of-life" suggestion- make the top bar (with the notifications icons and page numbers) a frame header so I can see Notifications and change pages even if I'm scrolled halfway down or all the way to the bottom of a page full of posts. The way it is now, it requires a Ctrl-Home "top of page" command, which doesn't always work depending on where your focus is when you do it. It would be great to have these Navigation controls always visible.

4 hours ago, Tirloque said:

Had Bitdefender before (at work). Seemed efficient too, but felt subjectively heavy too (though not as much as Windows Defender).

I've used Emsisoft Internet Security for years. Switched to Bitdefender last year due to their "perfect" AV Comparatives score, then found out the only reason they had a higher score than Emsisoft was that they automatically rejected and/or quarantined stuff without prompting the user, whereas Emsisoft, which uses essentially the same engine, prompts the user to decide what to do about some detections- and the Comparatives test scored user prompts as detection failures, which seems absurd.

I switched back to Emsisoft. Their free malware removal service (even if you're not an Emsi customer) is exemplary and works every time so far.

1 hour ago, Vyxenne said:

Firstly, thanks for re-enabling embedded YouTube videos- a valid YouTube link now resolves into the embedded video. :classic_biggrin:

I have a "minor quality-of-life" suggestion- make the top bar (with the notifications icons and page numbers) a frame header so I can see Notifications and change pages even if I'm scrolled halfway down or all the way to the bottom of a page full of posts. The way it is now, it requires a Ctrl-Home "top of page" command, which doesn't always work depending on where your focus is when you do it. It would be great to have these Navigation controls always visible.

(I feel like I'm stalking you) Does the up arrow in the square box, bottom RH corner not do this? Or do you mean a floating dingus which follows you down the page? If so I'm agin it.

11 hours ago, Tirloque said:

About Windows defender, I've got it at work and I strongly advice against it at home. Sure it does its minimal protection job decently, you're right about that, but the thing is horribly heavy in terms of loads, makes your boot time x2 or x3 longer and harasses your HDD at each reboot. ? To be used only by default and if you're a regular morning user of the beverage dispenser, that's my advice. :classic_angel:

What???  Sorry, but that is a load of nonsense.  I've used every virus protection program out there and right now, windows defender for Win 7 and Win 10 is flat out the least intrusive and least memory hogging one.  Period!  It actually boots faster than with any other anti-virus program.  Understand, I'm not calling you a liar here, but clearly your experience with the program and mine are polar opposites.  Plus, I almost NEVER get a false positive, which Bitdefender, Avast, Avira, AVG and the horrible brick they call McAfee all were absolutely terrible about.  I had to section off better then half my drive as they would freak out over games and mods.  I've had a virus with all of the afore mentioned products, but NEVER had one with Windows defender.  And no, I am not a safe browsing type of dude.  LOL!  Using MalwareBytes free scans every week as back up and I've been right as rain for going on 2 years now.

I've not tried Comodo for quite a long time, so I don't know if they are good or bad.  I stopped using it due to false positives and getting a minor virus that snuck through.

Think, windows defender=windows security essentials??   ...works like it is not there, and at once killing a virus, you can´t feel that you have installed a virus/anti-trojan softi....highly recommended and comfortable.

Most of the other software let your system and yourself become a slave of the antivirus-software....most of time it´s a system performance degradation or another software time wasters! 

9 hours ago, gregathit said:

What???  Sorry, but that is a load of nonsense.  I've used every virus protection program out there and right now, windows defender for Win 7 and Win 10 is flat out the least intrusive and least memory hogging one.  Period!  It actually boots faster than with any other anti-virus program.  Understand, I'm not calling you a liar here, but clearly your experience with the program and mine are polar opposites. 

Well I think we should not extend that off-topic too much, but my hardware at work is quite poor, specially on the HDD department. Windows defender isn't the only program loaded, so it might be only partly responsible of the 3-4 minutes boot. What little I know it that the activity/busy state of the HDD that pisses me off so hard stopped the one time I got really mad and temporarily disabled Defender... and that at home my PC 's boot looks like the Millennium Falcon in comparison (with avast). But maybe it's a matter of settings, it's possible the society responsible of our professional installations planned a daily scan and that that's the very thing that do irritate me. :classic_smile:

ON THE TOPIC OF WEBSITE FEEDBACK (imagine that):

The [ code ] tags are not working. I just pasted the following xml snippet into a post over on the SMP thread, using both manual [ code ][ /code ] tags (without the spaces) and the website toolkit Code functionality represented by the < / > icon:

UUNP-xml_snippet.png.3b4526d278d2bd485c44b80159a7e1dd.png

(this is an image, which is the only way to display this code since code tags do not work)

When entered directly between code tags, the website erroneously renders it as follows:

<per-triangle-shape name="UUNP">
    <margin>0.1</margin>
    <penetration>0.25</penetration>
    <tag>body</tag>        
    <no-collide-with-tag>body</no-collide-with-tag>
    <no-collide-with-tag>Lbreast</no-collide-with-tag>
    <no-collide-with-tag>Rbreast</no-collide-with-tag>
    <no-collide-with-tag>Belly</no-collide-with-tag>
  </per-triangle-shape>

Code tags are supposed to disable all editor processing and display whatever is entered exactly as entered. Is there something I'm missing, or are code tags really broken here?

EDIT 4 days later: Does anyone have an answer to this? Am I mistaken in my understanding of what [ code ] tags are supposed to do? Am I the only one for whom [ code ] tags are broken? Is this not the correct thread in which to report website bugs/failures and get a response from one of the website staff?

Is this thing even on? Hello? Testing, one, two, several... *taps mic annoyingly*

1 hour ago, Rektas69 said:

So I've noticed that the view count is stuck on a lot of topics, and stays on 0 or just some random number for a long time.

Is it an issue or does the count update like weekly or something like that?

Yes, they really stand still, only not on many, but on all the topics I've seen. Judging by the fact that they still appear on the screen, it should be some flaw.

Have to report a small bug:

- When I press "XXX" quoted you in "xxx" thread in my profile, the site doesn't take me to clicked/chosen destination, but at the end of the thread/blog entry, so I have to scroll up to find wished quote. It didn't happen before. I noticed this problem yesterday and I didn't report it thinking it is only temporary thing, but it happens every time when I do described operation.