Site questions, comments, and suggestions

10 hours ago, EvalovesEP said:

If I'm not wrong the old site has possibility to enter D/M/Y type of date in setting the profile. Not paying attention that new site has (only) M/D/Y type and being convinced that LL is in "right" type of date format,  I missed to congratulate some of my friends' birthday or I congratulated them on the wrong date. Is it possible to add D/M/Y type again? Not all of us are familiar with M/D/Y type of dating. Thanks.

the Englishmen (Americans) are strange. :classic_wink:
time running: Second, Minute, Hour, Day, Week, Month, Year, Decade, Century; Millenniy!

There is a little trick, I always write the month as a name.
04. October 57 also in English (America) this designation is understandable. :classic_wink:

17 minutes ago, winny257 said:

time running: Second, Minute, Hour, Day, Week, Month, Year, Decade, Century; Millenniy!

04. October 57 also in English (America) this designation is understandable. :classic_wink:

Unusual for us Germans, but very practical.
An American date format can be sorted, the German format can not be sorted. ;)

47 minutes ago, winny257 said:

Actually, the idea of using names of the months instead of number in profile under the birth is better since it wouldn't confuse us from the cultures that using different time format.

40 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Now that's just nonsense ?

If you want to sort dates, you'll have to use the proper ISO format, YYYY-MM-DD (emphasis on the leading YYYY), not some half-assed inbetween thing.

48 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

and therefore there are problems, to non-English speaking countries.
important appointment on 06. Mai 2018, in English 05. 06. 2018,
in Germany 100% Appointment missed. :classic_laugh:

59 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

Actually, the idea of using names of the months instead of number in profile under the birth is better since it wouldn't confuse us from the cultures that using different time format.

you're right, I have not noticed that yet.
in my profile my birthday is 10/04/1957, for me that means 10. April 1957. :classic_laugh:

4 hours ago, winny257 said:
15 hours ago, EvalovesEP said:

If I'm not wrong the old site has possibility to enter D/M/Y type of date in setting the profile. Not paying attention that new site has (only) M/D/Y type and being convinced that LL is in "right" type of date format,  I missed to congratulate some of my friends' birthday or I congratulated them on the wrong date. Is it possible to add D/M/Y type again? Not all of us are familiar with M/D/Y type of dating. Thanks.

I'm an ISO 8601 fan myself. YYYY-MM-DD

6 minutes ago, LazyBoot said:

If somebody uses and defends a non-international metric system what you do expect.

They will just try to convince you that they are the best and the rest of the world is bad.

(P.S. I am half American)

9 minutes ago, CPU said:

If somebody uses and defends a non-international metric system what you do expect.

They will just try to convince you that they are the best and the rest of the world is bad.

and therefore you have no problem with the time. :classic_laugh:

32 minutes ago, LazyBoot said:

Good for you. :)  But it is not applicable in all countries.  If you were born in my country you will "sing different song". ;)

26 minutes ago, CPU said:

I disagree with this statement.  I don't think that Eva tried to say how bad ISO 8601 and that those who use it are wrong. I agree with her. LL is international site as as such it should provide both standards if possible. ISO 8601 presented in LL in numbers is very inconvenient and confusing for members who doesn't use that standard. We can't know which is day and which is month and we have to "convert" the date. It is very unpractical since we daily use our D/M/Y standard.

Just now, Elf Prince said:

I disagree with this statement.  I don't think that Eva tried to say how bad ISO 8601 and that those who use it are wrong. I agree with her. LL is international site as as such it should provide both standards if possible. ISO 8601 presented in LL in numbers is very inconvenient and confusing for members who doesn't use that standard. We can't know which is day and which is month and we have to "convert" the date. It is very unpractical since we daily use our D/M/Y standard.

ISO 8601 is the international format,. that goes from the most significant to the less significant unit. YYYY-MM-DDthh:mm:ss:ssssZ

4 minutes ago, CPU said:

ISO 8601 is the international format,. that goes from the most significant to the less significant unit. YYYY-MM-DDthh:mm:ss:ssssZ

OK. I don't have a problem if my birthday will be written as: August, 12, 1993 in my profile,, but it is confusing if it is written as 08/12/1993 for I'm born on 12/08/1993.  Therefore people who doesn't use ISO 8601 might think I'm born in December. In that case, winny257 has right.

5 hours ago, Andy14 said:

In French, dates are sorted this way:

- short: DD/MM/YY, example 03/08/18

- long: DD/MM/YYYY, example 03/08/2018

- textual forum : 03 Août 2018 (in English : 03 august 2018)

So, yeah, date sorting in French is also possible...

2 hours ago, CPU said:

Project much? As is the case with most generalizations, yours is patently false. As an ex military aviator who flew extensively in Europe, I think the 12-hour clock ("1:00 PM" instead of the eminently more sensible 1300) and the mm/dd/yy date system instead of the more logical and hierarchical dd/mm/yyyy format are absurd and I have all of my devices set to 24 hour clock and dd/mm/yyyy date.

That said, I don't bash other people for having different systems or project my own hostility (because I have none) onto others because they follow the measurement system that is in place in their country and in fact was in place there when they were born. There is a rich history behind the Imperial measurement systems (inches, feet, yards, miles, pints, quarts, gallons, pounds and tons) and an argument could be made that it greatly pre-dates the metric system.

Your post is presumptuous and offensive.

Do I write backwards in Chinese?
It's about sorting - not home countries, politics or beliefs.

A list with date:
24.03.2018:
27.01.1971:
can not be sorted .

The result would be:

In German, in French, etc.

And for sorting (that's what it's about) the American format is better.

1971/01/27
2015/04/03
2018/03/24

Top->Down.

You can see what I mean?

7 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Do I write backwards in Chinese?
It's about sorting - not home countries, politics or beliefs.

A list with date:
24.03.2018:
27.01.1971:
can not be sorted .

The result would be:

In German, in French, etc.

And for sorting (that's what it's about) the American format is better.

1971/01/27
2015/04/03
2018/03/24

Top->Down.

You can see what I mean?

The format for american dates is MM/DD/YYYY

YYYY/MM/DD is the international format (AKA ISO 8601)