What's on your mind?

28 minutes ago, gregathit said:

Many flags are similar.  Take you folks from Netherlands, who just took the French flag and turned it sideways.  Real original.

And No.  Americans don't pledge allegiance to anyone besides ourselves.

There's something going on there. That company..., if you can call it that. At that time. And then some time later a new nation forms and look. Its flag looks almost identical. But all flags look the same they say. Yes. They all decide to look like the flag of that globe spanning company headquartered in London. To do otherwise would be ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Thanksgiving right around the corner. We celebrate this why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)#:~:text=The event that Americans commonly,Native Americans and 53 Pilgrims.

First harvest in the new world.  Having food is a damn good reason to celebrate.  Especially steak!  I feel sorry for those vegans.  They just don't know what they are missing.

29 minutes ago, Carabosse said:

There's something going on there. That company..., if you can call it that. At that time. And then some time later a new nation forms and look. Its flag looks almost identical. But all flags look the same they say. Yes. They all decide to look like the flag of that globe spanning company headquartered in London. To do otherwise would be ridiculous.

I don't see any real mystery.  Many European countries had colonies.  The British ended up dominating the oceans and this lead to them spreading around the globe.  Notice that they didn't spread too far from waterways.  As for copying flags, why not?  If you look at Europe, there are quite a few flags that are similar.  Vertical or horizontal stripes seem to be the norm.  Conspiracy or just folks copying?  Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark also have a common theme.  

Spoiler

ec292d8aa964a34e30e1c3269d7c2c94.jpg

12 minutes ago, gregathit said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)#:~:text=The event that Americans commonly,Native Americans and 53 Pilgrims.

First harvest in the new world.  Having food is a damn good reason to celebrate.  Especially steak!  I feel sorry for those vegans.  They just don't know what they are missing.

Vegans are idiots. If animals weren't meant to be eaten then what the hell are they here for? Everything's on the menu when you're an omnivore....especially if you're starving.

Oh, and we need a new flag. The holy dollar comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Vegans are idiots. If animals weren't meant to be eaten then what the hell are they here for? Everything's on the menu when you're an omnivore....especially if you're starving.

I would not go so far as to insult them.  I sure don't mind that they don't want meat.  That just means more for me.  I don't share my steak with ANYONE.  

I haven't yet decided if I am going to go traditional with a turkey this year or do steak.  I'll probably end up doing turkey, not because I especially enjoy it on the day.  What I really enjoy is turkey sandwiches for a few days afterwards.  

Spoiler

DSC_3062.jpg

2 hours ago, gregathit said:

Bean Burgers are delicious. And gassy but mostly delicious.

Come to think of it. Why is everyone so squeamish when I mention roasted grasshoppers? Back in the olden days people ate the whole cow even the gross parts. Food is a fun subject. We never did talk about grills did we?

11 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Funny how everyone is willing to accept casualties as long as they're not one of them. But, yeah... I get what you're saying.

That's how humanity works, always has and always will. People generally don't care unless the damage is happening really close to them. Acknowledging that there will always be causalities one way or another is an aspect of being realistic that is often glossed over in social debates.

11 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Push back has already happened. Look at the recent 2 elections. Look at the recent election results and how narrow a margin they were (both times). It isn't in the "bag" yet. My point is there is constant change and sometimes it is conservative (like in Victorian times) and others it is really free (like 60's)  but there is always a swing. 

Western world is more progressive and librial.. however, if they fail and crash, the likely hood of a conservative replacement that will take decades of progress away is very likely. That is often times the results. Look at the middle east in the 70's vs now. There are countries that women walked free of their head coverings and had professional jobs! now they are just expected to take care of the house and make babies. The progressive society was replaced with a more conservative one.

Exactly, there is always a swing but not one lasts forever. The degree can vary but it isn't permanent. I guess i'm more banking on the fact that the 2000's onward technological boom in terms of connectivity will prevent some very extreme swings from happening. The 60's and 70's for example were still pretty slow, information travelled really slow. A takeover like the one in the middle east, a very unfortunate one doesn't have the kind of grip it needs to happen again because information travels really fast now, people can resist much more efficiently.

If this were the 80's the election for example would've definitely been on the bag. Now it's not the same. The "liberal" (gosh i hate using that word now) societies failed completely in times where connectivity like this didn't exist, with the added factor of technology i don't see how future results will mirror the pre-internet era results too closely. I don't know, maybe i'm being way too optimistic, until the time comes nobody knows for sure and by the time all the stuff i was talking about happens we'd all be long gone.

(Or maybe i'll put myself in some cryosleep so that maybe someone will revive me 500 years later lol. By the time i'm 80 maybe we'll have some substantial success in cryosleep technologies, who knows.)

9 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

That's how humanity works, always has and always will. People generally don't care unless the damage is happening really close to them. Acknowledging that there will always be causalities one way or another is an aspect of being realistic that is often glossed over in social debates.

Exactly, there is always a swing but not one lasts forever. The degree can vary but it isn't permanent. I guess i'm more banking on the fact that the 2000's onward technological boom in terms of connectivity will prevent some very extreme swings from happening.

I am of the opinion that it will be the opposite of your thoughts. With technology, ideas spread much faster. Imagine the info from before the printing press and how it moved with horse back and  poor roads and then look at how info spread from the telegraph, phone and nation wide mail systems (for most industrialized countries),  then to internet, then to the social tools and programs available today. AKA the rise of "influencers" The only thing I can see that will possibly slow things down would be things come and go much faster now. Fads and interest is like someone with an extreme case of ADHD.  Sometimes, at least for me, by the time I hear of something and get a chance to understand it... it is yesterday's news and something else is "now" ...  The problem is.. hard core concepts and believes will still stick longer than a fad.  Racism for example. Homophobia is another.  With the structure of the internet .. people with those extreme ideas and concepts can pretty easily hide and continue to spread their ideas and concepts.

11 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Animals are delicious; especially the cute forest creatures.  ?

And in Texas it's a Constitutional right:classic_smile:

With modern society and what was done to the wildlife and such. They have it right. The only way to control wildlife is controlled hunting.  The other option is selected culling and wasting the animals.  Many natural predators are gone, can't travel or won't travel well across large areas of human population. (that or people won't want them to ;) ) Best of all the state can receive some $$$ for the license. So long as they properly monitor the resources, they can continue to reap the $$$ forever.

13 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

I am of the opinion that it will be the opposite of your thoughts. With technology, ideas spread much faster. Imagine the info from before the printing press and how it moved with horse back and  poor roads and then look at how info spread from the telegraph, phone and nation wide mail systems (for most industrialized countries),  then to internet, then to the social tools and programs available today. AKA the rise of "influencers" The only thing I can see that will possibly slow things down would be things come and go much faster now. Fads and interest is like someone with an extreme case of ADHD.  Sometimes, at least for me, by the time I hear of something and get a chance to understand it... it is yesterday's news and something else is "now" ...  The problem is.. hard core concepts and believes will still stick longer than a fad.  Racism for example. Homophobia is another.  With the structure of the internet .. people with those extreme ideas and concepts can pretty easily hide and continue to spread their ideas and concepts.

That's an interesting take. I can see where you're coming from, yeah the internet can also act as a platform for any echo chamber to form and thrive. So in that sense it can have the opposite effect of what i was envisioning. But i think the fact that people have access to large amounts of different information can still act as a buffer. In the 80's for example, people didn't have a global avenue to compare their current changes and situations with. So if someone tried to take over, they'd have a much easier time because people have less perspective.

I guess the main problem in these equations is the human factor itself. It's the people who can be dumb despite having the ability to know better. I see legitimacy in your view of this matter when i think of all the misinformed people on the internet spewing non-sensical things left and right despite the fact that we're living in the first era of heavy information flow. Big tech giants exploit human shortsightedness to censor and blind people from truths and data all the time. But i'm still hopeful that extreme swings like in the past wouldn't find the the kind of traction they could find back then.

Am i being naively optimistic? Perhaps. Time will tell. I'm still quite a bit young, so i'll have plenty of time to see where it all goes.

1 hour ago, Mr.Otaku said:

That's an interesting take. I can see where you're coming from, yeah the internet can also act as a platform for any echo chamber to form and thrive. So in that sense it can have the opposite effect of what i was envisioning. But i think the fact that people have access to large amounts of different information can still act as a buffer. In the 80's for example, people didn't have a global avenue to compare their current changes and situations with. So if someone tried to take over, they'd have a much easier time because people have less perspective.

I guess the main problem in these equations is the human factor itself. It's the people who can be dumb despite having the ability to know better. I see legitimacy in your view of this matter when i think of all the misinformed people on the internet spewing non-sensical things left and right despite the fact that we're living in the first era of heavy information flow. Big tech giants exploit human shortsightedness to censor and blind people from truths and data all the time. But i'm still hopeful that extreme swings like in the past wouldn't find the the kind of traction they could find back then.

Am i being naively optimistic? Perhaps. Time will tell. I'm still quite a bit young, so i'll have plenty of time to see where it all goes.

No you aren't being naively optimistic. You are open to consider alternate possibilities. That is all that anyone can hope to do. You also have a valid point as well.  Great study if you were a psychology major. :P 

13 hours ago, gregathit said:

Here is what I'd like to see

Getting a strong 'Teamsters' vibe as well - feels American to me!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was lucky enough to have had my design chosen for our Boot Camp Company flag while I was in the Navy. I guess all those art classes I took in high school were actually useful for once.

Black flag with green fringe. Company 912 with the Navy Seals emblem in the middle. Our flag didn't have the background circle nor the words Navy Seals.

navy_seal_logo.png&f=1&nofb=1

After Graduation we had the choice to cut the flag up, with each getting a piece, or (we chose) to give it to the Instructor/Company Commander.

https://www.gjenvick.com/Military/NavyArchives/USNTC/Articles/CompetitiveFlags.html

I was part of the special 'graduation companies' created for graduation services. These companies was responsible for containing the rifle drill team, the choir team, and the band/musician team. I myself was a drummer as I had Marching Band experience. Because of the needs for talent levels - this company stayed in boot camp an extra 2 weeks as it took longer to find qualified recruits able to participate in one of the 3 sections well enough to perform. The up side was we didn't have to participate in 'hell week', which every other company did - one week of kitchen duty - all the cleaning, stocking, prep, etc. The hours were longer than a usual training day as well during this period, starting around 4AM and lasting to a little before midnight iirc.

BTW - We did earn most every flag attainable, but for reasons, we were not permitted to win the Hall of Fame flag since it needed the Color Company flag of which we weren't eligible (they gave that to one of the other weekly graduating companies) and we performed 3 graduations including our own. All USNTC companies beginning with 9 were these 'special' companies.

>Don't give me shit about being a band geek in school - I also made the football team but had to choose one or the other for obvious reasons - and I took the easy route, plus drill team and band had some hot chicks. It was strange seeing my name on the football roster for the first game - life is strange....

4 hours ago, landess said:

>Don't give me shit about being a band geek in school - I also made the football team but had to choose one or the other for obvious reasons - and I took the easy route, plus drill team and band had some hot chicks. It was strange seeing my name on the football roster for the first game - life is strange....

Cool flag!  Everyone knows all the horny chicks are found at band camp!  ?

I hear ya, I played football one year.  I was also playing baseball and running track.  Doing all three was killing me.  Dropped the others and stuck with baseball as I liked it far better.