What's on your mind?

6 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Went to Youtube to watch a John Kirkwood cooking video and the pages would load BUT I was getting that 'An error occurred. Try again later. (Playback ID xxxxxxxxxx)'.  Huh?  Okay, I haven't installed anything new and I know my system is clean.  Come to find out Youtube just wigs out for no reason and wants you to delete all your cookies and reinstall the browser.  And now it works again. :classic_wacko:

Youtube seemed to go down for a brief while for whatever reason, be it server issues or a traffic spike that they could not handle. 

Got to thinking about this site and the gender revolution - We've modded cars, bikes, instruments and games for years. I guess peoples bodies and identities were a natural progression. We already had piercings and tattoos, why not go for extreme modding and change/add body parts, and even identities?

Be yourself - be who you want to be - the only identity crisis is not having one.

46 minutes ago, landess said:

why not go for extreme modding and change/add body parts, and even identities?

This is why i find the whole "cyberpunk" theme so interesting because i do see things heading towards a similar scenario. Prosthetics will be huge in the coming 40 years i'm predicting, it's already taking big leaps constantly. Genetic editing is already making huge progress, artificial wombs are making wild progress, body alteration technology is developing. I think the idea of gender and sex will be quite "liquified" in the coming 150 years. Currently someone can only pretend to be the opposite gender through the means of external and minor internal alterations, heavily cosmetic, some hormonal because you can't physically change your gender at this point in time, there's a limit.

With the way things are going that limit will start to dissolve more and more until the day when someone can successfully transform into the opposite gender, like, new parts with working genitals, as if they were born that way. A new identity.

I love trying to imagine the far future, there's something so fascinating about the realization that we and everything we know will also become ancient one day. I wonder, did the greek and romans anticipate anything we have today, the way we are? Maybe someone did as he was getting wasted by the street. The advantage we have is that we can immortalize our thoughts on this digital behemoth of a hub. If it lasts long enough it'll become the bridge between us and the future.

(This got way out of hand lol, i like to textually ramble sometimes. Also hey my previous post is gone, wonder who removed that, and why. Oh whatever)

8 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

This is why i find the whole "cyberpunk" theme so interesting because i do see things heading towards a similar scenario. Prosthetics will be huge in the coming 40 years i'm predicting, it's already taking big leaps constantly. Genetic editing is already making huge progress, artificial wombs are making wild progress, body alteration technology is developing. I think the idea of gender and sex will be quite "liquified" in the coming 150 years. Currently someone can only pretend to be the opposite gender through the means of external and minor internal alterations, heavily cosmetic, some hormonal because you can't physically change your gender at this point in time, there's a limit.

With the way things are going that limit will start to dissolve more and more until the day when someone can successfully transform into the opposite gender, like, new parts with working genitals, as if they were born that way. A new identity.

I love trying to imagine the far future, there's something so fascinating about the realization that we and everything we know will also become ancient one day. I wonder, did the greek and romans anticipate anything we have today, the way we are? Maybe someone did as he was getting wasted by the street. The advantage we have is that we can immortalize our thoughts on this digital behemoth of a hub. If it lasts long enough it'll become the bridge between us and the future.

(This got way out of hand lol, i like to textually ramble sometimes. Also hey my previous post is gone, wonder who removed that, and why. Oh whatever)

The thing is society flips side as time goes on.  It is entirely possible that there will be a strong push against such a society and a movement toward a more conservative society .. it has happened in the past. Romans had orgies, in Victorian times boys mutilated t heir private parts to try to resist their natural urges.

8 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

That man should be a hero ..  lol   Living the dream that I can bet someone wishes they were able to have ;)

Melissa Cheng

Too bad she looks like Marylin Manson... lol

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet - Coub - The Biggest Video Meme Platform

9 hours ago, landess said:

Got to thinking about this site and the gender revolution - We've modded cars, bikes, instruments and games for years. I guess peoples bodies and identities were a natural progression. We already had piercings and tattoos, why not go for extreme modding and change/add body parts, and even identities?

Be yourself - be who you want to be - the only identity crisis is not having one.

The biggest conflict when it comes to altered biology is those who claim that they are reclaiming identities denied to them via an accident of birth versus others who do not want their biology to be their destiny. The claims can and likely will come into conflict soon enough.

Once again, the science-fiction concepts bandied around in the Furry Fandom and the discussions surrounding them will end up predicting trends in the wider culture.

15 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

The thing is society flips side as time goes on.  It is entirely possible that there will be a strong push against such a society and a movement toward a more conservative society .. it has happened in the past. Romans had orgies, in Victorian times boys mutilated t heir private parts to try to resist their natural urges.

That man should be a hero ..  lol   Living the dream that I can bet someone wishes they were able to have ;)

Melissa Cheng

Too bad she looks like Marylin Manson... lol

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet - Coub - The Biggest Video Meme Platform

Cuba and Iran were freer before their glorious revolutions. Before that, Pre-Sappho Greece was more liberal than post-Sappho Greece.

One should keep in mind that nearly every society started off as pagans or atheists since they had yet to form a concept of religion. At one point, everyone used to walk around nude, copulate in the open and defecate where they stood.

The idea that everything flows towards one 'direction' culturally is pure delusion. 

7 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Yeah i see, but the most important part is that pushbacks like that are very diluted in nature, so they don't last with much effectiveness. With increasing impact of technology in daily lives, a push towards hardcore conservatism in progress oriented societies will be too much effort and too inefficient. And it's not like we'll enter a super advanced cyberpunk-ish society within a blink, it'll be a much more gradual process, spanning across generations. I mean where did all the luddites go? Exactly. There will be some parts of the world that won't get such things, and like always they'll be left behind, wouldn't make a difference overall since they're always kind of a non-factor.

11 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Yeah i see, but the most important part is that pushbacks like that are very diluted in nature, so they don't last with much effectiveness. With increasing impact of technology in daily lives, a push towards hardcore conservatism in progress oriented societies will be too much effort and too inefficient. And it's not like we'll enter a super advanced cyberpunk-ish society within a blink, it'll be a much more gradual process, spanning across generations. I mean where did all the luddites go? Exactly. There will be some parts of the world that won't get such things, and like always they'll be left behind, wouldn't make a difference overall since they're always kind of a non-factor.

Remembering where we came from and why is just as important as where we're heading for proper perspective. As soon as we lose that perspective, we're doomed to make the same mistakes our ancestors did- but with much higher consequences and possible collateral damage if we fuck it up.

Every one of these so called progressives has a comfortable base that they think is untouchable and fail to realize the power of momentum. What goes around always comes back around to bite you in the ass. And it happens now at the speed of light.

Our fate rests with technology and the few whom control most of it. But, what does it tell you when those few are already showing signs of corruption? The human in the equation is the wildcard every time. Garbage in, garbage out.

17 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Just wait till society wants to get rid of something that affects you personally- like your company downsizing it's human workforce due to better computer automation. Then you might understand conservative's position. Remembering where we came from and why is just as important as where we're heading for proper perspective. As soon as we lose that perspective, we're doomed to make the same mistakes our ancestors did- but with much higher consequences and possible collateral damage if we fuck it up.

Every one of these so called progressives has a comfortable base that they think is untouchable and fail to realize the power of momentum. What goes around always comes back around to bite you in the ass. And it happens now at the speed of light.

I see that as well. Yeah job hiccups will be a huge problem, but like most problems they too won't last. We will definitely have two or three lost generations, we've had who knows how many when the industrial revolution took speed. This has happened before and will keep happening whenever a major step is taken. The idea of "progress" has been distorted by the self proclaimed "progressive" who are short sighted and mean spirited. But real progress is the road any literate species walks on. It takes time for a "new" to settle in and adjustments back to normalcy always takes time and full of bumps, sometimes violent bumps.

But humanity one way or another has to make the choice, to either choose stagnation and wait for an asteroid to hit us eventually, or keep going forward so that the species doesn't just die off with the planet itself. And given that humanity always keeps moving, i don't even see how anything at all will stop the technological progress permanently.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

given that humanity always keeps moving, i don't even see how anything at all will stop the technological progress permanently.

Everybody wants a say in where that progress goes and how fast. If it moves faster than we can safely acclimate to, don't you see the potential danger? The chasm forming between those on one side and the other grow exponentially to the point that we don't even recognize each other.

The funny thing is that we do need greater transparency and accountability. Unfortunately the best way to do that is through govt control and that doesn't sit well with people who love their individual rights and freedoms. What happens when the Govt and technology are married? The nanny state that sees and controls all. It's been predicted for quite awhile now and we are finally seeing it happen.

Democracy is holding us back because we can't control it's excesses.

3 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

If it moves faster than we can acclimate to, don't you see the potential danger?

But it's always moving faster than people's pace of acclimation. That's what creates the "back in my day" thing more or less. The main point is that the changes that will come will appear more strange to us than the people that will be born into it. The widespread use of smartphones would've also been seen as quite dangerous to people who saw the inception of it. We however understand it better, we know better, we can manage it more "normally" if you will. That's what creates the "kids grow up so fast these days" thing more or less.

Time is the answer to everything. It beings problems, it brings solutions.

12 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Push back has already happened. Look at the recent 2 elections. Look at the recent election results and how narrow a margin they were (both times). It isn't in the "bag" yet. My point is there is constant change and sometimes it is conservative (like in Victorian times) and others it is really free (like 60's)  but there is always a swing. 

Western world is more progressive and librial.. however, if they fail and crash, the likely hood of a conservative replacement that will take decades of progress away is very likely. That is often times the results. Look at the middle east in the 70's vs now. There are countries that women walked free of their head coverings and had professional jobs! now they are just expected to take care of the house and make babies. The progressive society was replaced with a more conservative one.

30 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

There are countries that women walked free of their head coverings and had professional jobs! now they are just expected to take care of the house and make babies. The progressive society was replaced with a more conservative one.

Every damn thing is life is a pendulum that swings one way or the other depending on the times, weather, rotation of the planets, the mood of daisies, whatever. It's the center of that pendulum that we need to understand- the source. Just acknowledging it's there doesn't get us anywhere and we're doomed to circular motion for eternity. However, the center does move ever so slowly because our circle is caught up in the gravity of a much larger circle.

People are just like molecules in that when we are heated, we collide with each other and when we are cooled, we conform into neat little formations. And the greater the heat and subsequent cooling, the tighter and more perfect our formations. But who or what is working the forge?

4 minutes ago, Carabosse said:

Just been looking at the timeline of the US flag and the British East India Company.

Do any of you Americans ever wonder if you're actually pledging allegiance to a British conglomerate?

Nope.  I know the history of our flag.  Do you have a point?

15 minutes ago, Carabosse said:

Just been looking at the timeline of the US flag and the British East India Company.

Do any of you Americans ever wonder if you're actually pledging allegiance to a British conglomerate?

No, however, that likely would be an step up from what we currently have. lol

52 minutes ago, Carabosse said:

Many flags are similar.  Take you folks from Netherlands, who just took the French flag and turned it sideways.  Real original.

And No.  Americans don't pledge allegiance to anyone besides ourselves.