What's on your mind?

5 minutes ago, legendarytoyou said:

Debating about resubbing to WoW for a month.  I haven't played the game since Warlords of Drano fell on its face and been feeling a little nostalgic.  My real question is; is it worth resubbing for a month really.

short version: no

long version: Legion was alright compared to WoD, lots of content and some very good ideas but also some of the worst ideas. Legion started the whole thing with the 'borrowed power system' which is simply just a fancy term for the paragon levels of Diablo 3. It's an infinite grind with miniscule rewards that are nevertheless needed of any kind of endgame content.

BFA was a complete shit show, Blizzard threw out everything that made Legion bearable and doubled down on the negatives. You had your infinite grind + new power creep systems introduced with each new patch. The amount of daily and weekly content was frankly insane and each patch added more.

Shadowlands will probably BFA 2.0 because Blizzard just loves their infinite grinds and external power systems. Instead of giving each class new talents and abilities they're now locked behind covenants. Also they've discovered their love for timegated content so you can expect plenty of that. Nu-Blizzard is constantly trying to drive player engagement higher and higher so that the whales will spend more money on the ingame-shop. The story is also pants on head retarded if that's what you're into.

I expect that Shadowlands will keep most players interested for a month or two, after that, only the addicts, masochists and sunk cost-fallacy people will continue to play.

14 minutes ago, legendarytoyou said:

Debating about resubbing to WoW for a month.  I haven't played the game since Warlords of Drano fell on its face and been feeling a little nostalgic.  My real question is; is it worth resubbing for a month really.

I quit shortly after the NGE update. Wait that was Star Wars Galaxies.... I meant after the Burning Crusade update and level cap raised to 60.

It seems every MMO decided to try something 'new' as a way to bring in more players, and actually began driving them away. Only LotRo seemed to get it right, but they took so long developing expansions and making it 'single player' friendly for the 'book' content people began to burn out. Luckily the developers created their own company and bought out the rights to the IP and game and continued adding on. One can actually quest all the way into Mordor now. I wouldn't recommend LotRo now unless someone has a year or two to commit.

I guess I'm NOT the person to ask... But you reminded me of some good times I did have back in the day.

18 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

short version: no

long version: Legion was alright compared to WoD, lots of content and some very good ideas but also some of the worst ideas. Legion started the whole thing with the 'borrowed power system' which is simply just a fancy term for the paragon levels of Diablo 3. It's an infinite grind with miniscule rewards that are nevertheless needed of any kind of endgame content.

BFA was a complete shit show, Blizzard threw out everything that made Legion bearable and doubled down on the negatives. You had your infinite grind + new power creep systems introduced with each new patch. The amount of daily and weekly content was frankly insane and each patch added more.

Shadowlands will probably BFA 2.0 because Blizzard just loves their infinite grinds and external power systems. Instead of giving each class new talents and abilities they're now locked behind covenants. Also they've discovered their love for timegated content so you can expect plenty of that. Nu-Blizzard is constantly trying to drive player engagement higher and higher so that the whales will spend more money on the ingame-shop. The story is also pants on head retarded if that's what you're into.

I expect that Shadowlands will keep most players interested for a month or two, after that, only the addicts, masochists and sunk cost-fallacy people will continue to play.

Just the answer I needed.  Thx GrimReaper, not interested in wasting cash on what will eventually be crap at some point.  I'll stick to FF14.

53 minutes ago, landess said:

I quit shortly after the NGE update. Wait that was Star Wars Galaxies.... I meant after the Burning Crusade update and level cap raised to 60.

It seems every MMO decided to try something 'new' as a way to bring in more players, and actually began driving them away. Only LotRo seemed to get it right, but they took so long developing expansions and making it 'single player' friendly for the 'book' content people began to burn out. Luckily the developers created their own company and bought out the rights to the IP and game and continued adding on. One can actually quest all the way into Mordor now. I wouldn't recommend LotRo now unless someone has a year or two to commit.

I guess I'm NOT the person to ask... But you reminded me of some good times I did have back in the day.

Yeah its all good.  I was just having a pang of nostalgia but I get the distinct impression from a majority of people that currently its a waste of time and money.  Nostalgia passes with time anyways.

How come nobody has done anything with the Blade Runner universe? There was one game way back in '97 and there are people working on a remaster, but honestly it still looks old compared to the games of today. I mean as long as the devs stayed with the original theme and look to keep things sort of authentic, they could go fucking anywhere game and story wise. I realize Cyberpunk should be a pretty cool sci-fi addition, but there's always room for more.

24 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

How come nobody has done anything with the Blade Runner universe?

I could see the makers of the new Baldur's Gate doing something interesting with the Blade Runner universe. Like Bethesda, having both a medieval and futuristic IP to work with helps create a decent fanbase.

Happened across this page. Thought to share it if someone wanted some new backgrounds... https://mymodernmet.com/silvia-cordedda-fractal-flowers/

12 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

Just the answer I needed.  Thx GrimReaper, not interested in wasting cash on what will eventually be crap at some point.  I'll stick to FF14.

To be fair, though, I do think you can get 2 months out of the new expansion. Leveling and questing is always stellar in the newer expansions and the art design is gorgeous, too - many people claim that the art team saves WoW time and time again and there's a lot of truth to that. If you do end up re-subbing you should probably use a keyseller, though. Nu-Blizzard hates their players and there's no reason to give them any money.

Anyone else kinda notice that when things aren't covered in mass media, they tend to work themselves out just fine? Or how about that people that work together in smaller numbers are more productive than larger groupings? Many eyes on everything nowadays, but can't watch everything all the time- so some stuff gets done.

4 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Or how about that people that work together in smaller numbers are more productive than larger groupings?

Completely NON-political, but rather MECHANICAL!

The design of our government does just that. It's truly amazing in this way. We have local cities and towns which take care of our local affairs, followed by a larger county government, then state, and finally federal. Every part works towards the whole, while focusing on the people locally first and letting each division carry that forward so no one person has to micro manage the entire thing. The mechanics never seem to be the problem - only people. But people aside, it really is an amazing thing.

I like my Royalty in movies and other film - The thought of it in real life gives me indigestion.....

A simple rule that has served me well when evaluating whether I should do something or not. Take Skyrim for example: I look at a mod and consider how much it adds to my game vs. how much of a pain it might be to make work reliably/consistently. Stand alone mods are great in that they mostly (or not at all) conflict with anything else. The other end of the spectrum are mods that affect everything, everywhere. The longer your mod list, the more you need the former and definitely less (or none) of the latter. More time playing, less time tinkering/fixing (and yanking your fucking hair out in frustrated rage). Yeah, that super-detailed LOD mod that you want to add to your 300+ mod list? Forget about it unless you're willing to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up. :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

A simple rule that has served me well when evaluating whether I should do something or not. Take Skyrim for example: I look at a mod and consider how much it adds to my game vs. how much of a pain it might be to make work reliably/consistently. Stand alone mods are great in that they mostly (or not at all) conflict with anything else. The other end of the spectrum are mods that affect everything, everywhere. The longer your mod list, the more you need the former and definitely less (or none) of the latter. More time playing, less time tinkering/fixing (and yanking your fucking hair out in frustrated rage). Yeah, that super-detailed LOD mod that you want to add to your 300+ mod list? Forget about it unless you're willing to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up. :thumbsup: 

That is the attitude that I've had to adopt for myself when trying to get back into Skyrim since a very small mod being incorrectly installed then uninstalled by a mod manager led to consistent crashes whenever attempting to finish the Dawn Guard questline. It helps to keep the meshes and textures backed up somewhere to simplify re-installation when something goes wrong with the scripts.

12 minutes ago, landess said:

With all the identity 'issues' of today I don't know where to start, which means I probably just shouldn't.

In current year you don't need to have a vagina to be a woman; it all depends on you're feeling that day.  Nonbinary gender-questioning chaotic neutral giraffe is a thing.