Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

I don't think it's about "boycotting" the CC so much as just ignoring it completely. Unless there's some really good mods uploaded to it, why bother using it at all? How many paid downloads a month will be needed by Bethesda to break even on development and maintenance costs for it, much less turn any kind of profit? This could turn into a major money sink like ESO did for Zenimax Online.

If Beth "dumbs down" their games just a bit more- there is a vast market for animals that hasn't been tapped!! :P It would be perfect for them because animals can't complain! I mean that my cat might have more fun if I purchase some fuzzy mice for Skyrim in CC for him to play with! But then my dog might get jealous and I would have to purchase something for him too. Beth is breathing a sigh of relief with Bio's demise and want to celebrate with CC- never realizing that the hour of reckoning is about to strike for them as well.

HTTP2dpZnJpZmljLmNvbS93cC1jb250ZW50L3Vwb

The most problematic in the updated FAQ on their forums is this, listed as a benefit of CC:

"Creations can make additions and changes to hardcoded content not generally accessible to modders"

Also they haven't responded to the concern about the hardcoded CC mod names in the exe. They did promise to fix the load order issue and the downloading of all files. But they not only do not promise to stop breaking mods in future, they think it is a benefit...

All this drama about the added microtransactions in a premium-priced single player only game reminds me of the popup advertisements or the spam  and scam mails that are clogging  the tubes of the internet . They exist because they work. The users are their own worst enemy. 

The most problematic in the updated FAQ on their forums is this, listed as a benefit of CC:

"Creations can make additions and changes to hardcoded content not generally accessible to modders"

Also they haven't responded to the concern about the hardcoded CC mod names in the exe. They did promise to fix the load order issue and the downloading of all files. But they not only do not promise to stop breaking mods in future, they think it is a benefit...

All this drama about the added microtransactions in a premium-priced single player only game reminds me of the popup advertisements or the spam  and scam mails that are clogging  the tubes of the internet . They exist because they work. The users are their own worst enemy. 

Ultimately who stands to lose more? They or the consumer? They should be very concerned with their reputation right now. We might lose some mods, but they will lose many, many customers. We might have more clout than you seem to think. It is akin to a Circus, but the aftermath could have long lasting effects on their bottom line.

It doesn't matter what we do. We're not a lucrative section of the demographic and we never will be. Which is why Bethesda is going to the trouble of creating a new more exploitable fanbase, the console fanbase. This had been the plan since before Skyrim and is steadily working despite Beth's incompetence and unforeseen roadblocks like Sony restricting mods.

Beth only cares about us in terms of our ability to generate cheap royalty-free low overhead minimods for the consoles. Doesn't matter that most of us despise Beth now, there are enough defectors who are willing to trade a one-of-a-kind community for McJob pay. 

None of this costs Zenimax much in terms of cash, the cost is paid mostly in goodwill accrued over decades which they part with happily.  Bethesda is cashing out.

We need an administrative poll to know where the com as a whole actually stands in the matter, the only legal justification for a communal countermove, whatever that may be, pro Bethesda or con...

It's pretty obvious where the modding community stands on the matter. Not sure what you expect the sites to do about any of it though.

We need an administrative poll to know where the com as a whole actually stands in the matter, the only legal justification for a communal countermove, whatever that may be, pro Bethesda or con...

It's pretty obvious where the modding community stands on the matter. Not sure what you expect the sites to do about any of it though.

it's equally obvious that millions of console users stand on the opposite side, and greed is rather likely to prevail.

So how did paid mods die the first time? Why are "they're not paid mods" alright for some this time around? Were they just more clever in CC being "inclusive" for the modders? What is the difference besides that?

"Just a few days after launching paid mods on Steam through the Skyrim Workshop, Valve is removing the payment option, citing customer feedback. Valve says it will refund Steam users who purchased a Skyrim mod on Steam."- article in Polygon

Bethesda Softworks also weighed in on the issue, saying of the removal, "Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear — this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you."- same article

It seems someone was listening then.

My stance on this is that they can do and add whatever they want as long as it doesn't break my existing mods or if it does then they better don't make it mandatory for me to install it too.

Or else!

The fineprint saying that they might reduce moddability for people not involved in that Creation Club circlejerk worries me a bit though.

But it's their decision. I bought Skyrim and I bought Fallout 4. If they really want to break the only thing that I still buy their shitty ass games for then I'll just sit out on the next one.

Simple as that.

So how did paid mods die the first time? Why are "they're not paid mods" alright for some this time around? Were they just more clever in CC being "inclusive" for the modders? What is the difference besides that?

"Just a few days after launching paid mods on Steam through the Skyrim Workshop, Valve is removing the payment option, citing customer feedback. Valve says it will refund Steam users who purchased a Skyrim mod on Steam."- article in Polygon

Bethesda Softworks also weighed in on the issue, saying of the removal, "Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear — this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you."- same article

It's the internet and people have goldfish memories. And if you complain about the same thing too many times in a row everyone gets bored and makes you into a meme and opposes you out of sheer contrariness. Corporations and governments finally figured this out and are getting away with everything they please now.

Also they're really pushing the whole "modders gettin' PAID" thing which nobody can oppose without looking bad even though this unique unsurpassed community only formed out of pure passion and a desire to share, and every monetization attempt only accelerates the decline...but hey, gotta get that lawnmowing wage from Bethesda, community be damned. Future of modding be damned.

The difference was someone WAS listening aka valve, and this was only the pc market where better stuff is literally a click away. Bethesda said they were going to try again and they have, and they did.

The two things different now is Bethesda is footing the bill by themselves so they get ALL of the profits aside from update bandwidth fees, which they're already paying whether or not CC exists per patch/dlc and this about console users, and console users are primarily teenage boys who do not give the slightest fuck about propriety or quality or the word "no", they've got the parent's credit card and they want their shit YESTERDAY NAAAOOOO or they're gonna whine on the youtube comment section and /v/ /b/ about it for the rest of all time.

Bethesda isn't going to ignore people who will literally pay anything for "exclusive content".

Destiny and Wafarme  (not a typo) and BattleFront and the trainwreck that in GTAOnline have already proven that tweens and teens have absolutely no scruples or common sense or limits when it comes to money that isn't even theirs to begin with.

This is the new monetization model for AAA, and unless consumers reject it unilaterally, it's here to stay until the next even more predatory model comes around.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Guess you're long enough in the scene to remember the purge on the Nexus in 2004 when the same type of guy all over sudden demanded $1 per d/l, or else.

It worked... for us.

Guess you're long enough in the scene to remember the purge on the Nexus in 2004 when the same type of guy all over sudden demanded $1 per d/l, or else.

It worked... for us.

I have been around a long time, but don't remember everything that ever happened.

Anyway, when it comes to Nexus or LL doing polls and statements about this, I think the sites have too much to lose by making any 'official' move that sets them on a collision course with Beth. The community as a whole and as individuals can get up in Beth's face all they like, the sites not so much.

It worked... for us.

I have been around a long time, but don't remember everything that ever happened.

Anyway, when it comes to Nexus or LL doing polls and statements about this, I think the sites have too much to lose by making any 'official' move that sets them on a collision course with Beth. The community as a whole and as individuals can get up in Beth's face all they like, the sites not so much.

An honest answer. Thanks. Well, the providers and servers used by the sites involved are indeed under US jurisdiction. Okay, I know what to do next to solve the problem for myself and will act accordingly. It's the sanctioning of renegade modders and a massive download of FO4 mods of interest for a later selective conversion on my drive, if necessary, assuming that Bethesda doesn't change the game machine anytime soon. In the light of a growing reluctance to share anything for free I just hope that there is still a community like LL left when FO5 gets released, that's why I always try to bring members and administration together to act as one before I even dream of playing a kind of lone she-wolf among sheeple. Bethesda itself, exposed as it is, I'll bypass at this stage (I can hardly boycott what I've already paid for) cause I only fight battles I know I can win. That's the way the Vietcong did it.

Godspeed!

ultimately who is the responsible asswip for cc? pete or todd? just wanna know who i need to wikiwiki voodoo so they get an incurable disease soon.

Mostly it would be Pete's idea, he is the PR guy appointed by Zenimax, his job is make sure how to get people pay up for the stuff when he see fits to charge.

And Todd disappeared form two times in a row of the BE3 I would likely be guessing it was Todd refuse to co-operated or even been forced to be silent after he objected the idea. So no star-field 2017 unless Todd submit to the paid mod idea...Todd is famous of being pirate on modding, he would never do the idea of paid mods, it is just his nature to be impossible on agreeing of the topic.

I would like to think that too, but i don't believe Todd is against this, in the end, his team had to make the update to put that crap CC, and was his team that make the 2gb download that everyone had to get, so Todd is one the guys behind all this...

Star-Field could be a nice way to make CC less visible, and they need this.

Problem on your theory is : Bethesda, even as studio side is still a very large company, that even if Todd and all of his original crew don't want to take up the job of implying the CC into both fallout4 and skyrim, Pete can always hire new member or 3rd party freelancer to imply that thing into all of their games if he sees it fits, and he might already did that 2 years ago.

On E3 2015, Todd had stated publicly Bethesda studio was opening up new branches, their team was bloating up form less then 100 people to more then 300, so even Todd and his team vote no there would still be enough member to go finish the order.

And they've already got a sale on the creation club. The horse power armour and another suit are free, with discounts on the backpack and furniture set. Presumably they haven't been selling as many as they'd like. I wonder if the people who actually supported the club by buying from it are now feeling they've been ripped-off...

And they've already got a sale on the creation club. The horse power armour and another suit are free, with discounts on the backpack and furniture set. Presumably they haven't been selling as many as they'd like. I wonder if the people who actually supported the club by buying from it are now feeling they've been ripped-off...

What a deal.

Even for free it sounds overpriced.

if something will happen to LL (about LL i don´t panic so far), or nexus (the nexus´ censoring is discouraging me from "productive use" of that page), some people may at once open a next www page to keep modding free...this few bucks every year, will never be a problem - it´s very fine, that skyrim is for years now old and probably off-focus. A propos steam: Take care and protect yourself against auto updates for skyrim !!

Archived