Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

• 1 year later...

"Creation Club is a collection of all-new content for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons."

Milking it ... I guess the money they made from the DLCs weren't enough. If there are actually mods in this thing, they are most likely being used as an excuse for Bethesda to sell their own over-priced 'all-new content".

If valve could be trusted to hire the right people to curate it would be fine. They can't.

If bethesda would accede to not getting the lion's share of the money it would be fine. They can't.

If they would allow for fair and honest IP controls it might work. They won't.

That bethesda thinks they can "get the world's best modders" to essentially fix their broken bullshit is hubris of the highest order.

If most modders could be held to an honest standard based on fair output, it could be the working model. They can't.

and those are just the surface reasons.

And thus donations are a better solution, except very few people actually give.

So they'll try again.

What if the team behind the script extender mod decide to paywall it? Or the next game requires a mod like FNIS and they decide to paywall it? What if the team behind the unofficial patches decides to paywall their mod for all platforms? (Not sure how you'd manage to do that for PC as long as Nexus is still up). What then? I sure ain't gonna shell out cash for mods. That's exactly the same as microtransactions which I've never used and never will.

I see lots of the most popular mods that will be paywalled, least for consoles.

What if the team behind the script extender mod decide to paywall it? Or the next game requires a mod like FNIS and they decide to paywall it? What then? I sure ain't gonna shell out cash for mods. That's exactly the same as microtransactions which I've never used and never will.

Don't think that's going to happen since all of this has to work on consols as well and I don't think Sony or Microsoft are cool with running some random third party tools on their platform... Besides, everything has to be installable with one click for all the kids out there.

It looks like it's mostly going to be armors and other easy to manage content like this that are easy to take care of in terms of stability.

It actually doesn't even sound that bad when you have a look at the FAQ

Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

This is not targeting the average modder out there, instead this more for freelancers already in the industry or people looking to get into the industry. 

Besides:

Are Creators Paid For Their Work?

Yes. Just like our own game developers, Creators are paid for their work and start receiving payment as soon as their proposal is accepted and through development milestones.

That's probably the most convincing argument for me, since they start paying people before the actual mod is released which means they'll not flood it with poorly done mods that won't sell. It's more like we "just" get classic microtransactions now which has a high potential for abuse in future elderscrolls games.

On the plus side, no TES VI announced to be tainted by the damn things.

CC will be integrated with TES VI day one, so you can say buh bi to free mod content and hello pre-alpha beta test blue screen of death paid subscription.

"Creation Club is a collection of all-new content for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons."

Milking it ... I guess the money they made from the DLCs weren't enough. If there are actually mods in this thing, they are most likely being used as an excuse for Bethesda to sell their own over-priced 'all-new content".

Seriously, that is like the complete opposite of what paid mods were.  This is just side projects from Bethesda (like crossbows were, before being added to Dawnguard) and people they directly partner up with.

This is not "Modder X can now lock things behind a paywall".  This is just smaller official DLC.

creationclub.bethesda.net:

Is Creation Club paid mods?

No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content. Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators. All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together. We’ve looked at many ways to do “paid mods”, and the problems outweigh the benefits. We’ve encountered many of those issues before. But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

------------------------------

Added:

You do NOT need credits to download MODS.

You do need credits to buy whatever from their new microtransaction's shop.

What they are doing is leaving the mods the way they are now and intending to sell curated and tested content.

CC will be integrated with TES VI day one, so you can say buh bi to free mod content and hello pre-alpha beta test blue screen of death paid subscription.

More importantly, say goodbye to the free exchange of ideas that fueled the Skyrim community to become what it is.

Seriously, that is like the complete opposite of what paid mods were.  This is just side projects from Bethesda (like crossbows were, before being added to Dawnguard) and people they directly partner up with.

This is not "Modder X can now lock things behind a paywall".  This is just smaller official DLC.

So like the SSE preview, it's Bethesda and certain modders they're chummy with?

When does the madness end? What's it going to take? So what if people vote with their wallets, don't buy mods, and don't cave to micro transactions? There will always be some fucking bro to whom games are just a curiosity, not a passion, who is more than willing to shell out some cash. To him it doesn't matter: Sure a buck here, a buck there, what does he care? How does the utter raping of this past-time affect him? Not at all. If gaming goes up in smoke he'll just move on to the next thing. This is whats wrong with gaming today, too many drooling neanderthals who will throw their money at anything. Accessibility has fucked us. Mass Appeal has fucked us. I hope they all rot.

More importantly, say goodbye to the free exchange of ideas that fueled the Skyrim community to become what it is.

So like the SSE preview, it's Bethesda and certain modders they're chummy with?

Yes, as well as (pointed out on the site itself): all of the Creation Club mods will be completely new.  Existing mods will not be put on the service.

I am reading the FAQ on Creator Club and I came upon this:

Is Creation Club paid mods?
No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content.

Meaning if the skse team decided to go behind a paywall, it won't fly with Bethesda.

Link

Archived