A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Isoku has likely withdrawn from modding already, he's withdrawn from the Nexus at least. I loved his mods, and he stated that he was 100 % cool with people pirating his mods, he welcomed it, he was just there because Steam asked him to. If this shit ends up with Isoku and Chesko stopping to make mods altogether and probably more people with them, I will be pirating Fallout 4 etc., whereas two days ago I was basically "shut up and take my money". That's really the only response we can give that they'll listen to.

trust me if chesko would consider quitting it would be mainly because what he went through yesterday.

They throwed a buckets of shit at him. Literally.

Hell if I know for what reason.

Probably because of this:

Hey, Chesko here. I'm just one guy, but I am the author of several high-quality mods that change Skyrim's gameplay in fun and challenging ways, with more still to come. Charging money for what I do is something I won't (not to mention, can't) do, and runs counter to everything I love about the Bethesda modding community.

Then there is the notion that's he's a well-known modder with popular content and then he turns 'traitor' to the very base that made him popular.  Go ahead and add to that the FACT that he used Fore's software and fully intended to charge for something based off of it.  The 'I didn't know, I didn't think...' excuse doesn't fly because EVERYONE knows that Fore doesn't want his software redistributed for a profit.  Chesko knowingly shit on that as well as the mod fans who got him where he is...or was.

Which brings me to this:

Chesko bailed out. Seems like he couldn't take the heat. http://i.imgur.com/4a8kCEn.png

GOOD.  I predicted that would happen and it did.

Do I feel bad that he was blasted with all of the bile an vitriol the internet can muster in a 24 hr cycle?  Not really.  It needs to happen to every for-profit-modder who's in collusion with Valve/Bethesda to charge money for free content.  There is one sure way to stop this money-grab scheme, and that is to do to every paid modder what happened to Chesko.  Go after the ones charging for player-made content and cut the head off the snake.  This will work because the new breed of modders that popped up with Skyrim are by-and-large a sensitive and neurotic bunch and if they can't get the on-line validation they're seeking they'll go down like a Filipino tranny during Fleet Week.  Old school cats like me won't fold, but then again we'd never charge for mods to begin with.

I'm really outraged about this. First, they should pay back for all guides, inspiration that came from moders before them. Then place price tag on it. Then after few yeras, moding will die because no one will share knowlage, why they should share? It will make them just more competitors, and other would quit disgusted by it. And all what will be left would be so called "professionals"

I'm just going to put in my final two cents on the matter and bow out because you people are getting crazy...

I have a problem with Valve's way of doing this but there should be no obligations to create mods for free. If you don't like paying for mods don't pay...

Yes I have major concerns with charging for mods because much like early access games they could wind up being broken and your left with no way of getting your money back. A update to a mod can break your game and with how the workshop works you could be well and truly f*ed until it gets fixed and that may be never. You may play well past the refund time with no problems only to find a major bug that renders the game unplayable and even if it does get patched no means of continuing with that playthrough and having to start all over again.

But that doesn't change the fact that these people put time into making something and have every right to ask to be paid.

Now it is up to the community to decide if it is worth what they charge. 

After many modders decide to quit modding because of this shit, the future of modding will be mediocre at best. Nobody will spend so much time and effort for that measly %25 and at some point that percentage may decrease and be offset by ads somehow or some other metric like upvotes which would pay out if x amount of y has happened.

The future of gaming is looking very pointless right now, this shit has the chance to replace DLC completely and the companies don't have to spend money making the DLC anymore so they see it as growth/increasing their stock prices. By replacing hated company DLC with hated modder DLC they turn the customers on each other and take some heat off the companies... divide and conquer plain and simple.

Guest endgameaddiction

Chesko knew exactly what he was doing. In Gophers 2nd video he states that these modders knew about this before it occured and which is why these sellouts have released a new version that requires you to buy it on Steam now.

@Tensu

I have read some other arguments that were well written about modders not getting mandatory paid. Those arguments basically say that modding is not a job it is a hobby and the modder volunteered their time where as a job is something you expect to get paid for because it is a job.

By supporting the getting paid side of this shit you just help push it further into reality. The obvious thing that should have happened was the donate button not the pay now button.

Any desire I had to mod anything at this point is going down the drain:-(

When steam first came out many people were against it but the dumbass majority was all for it claiming it would get rid of cheaters and hackers among many other stupid claims. This shit happening now is EXACTLY why people complained about steam when it first came out. Here is the result of the dumbass majority supporting steam, hope they like paying for every dam single thing they get from steam now. To become a user of steam it should be a legal requirement that the person has to first bend over something and wait for gabe to come screw them in the ass first before they can sign on the first time.

I only went steam because of Skyrim i've not buy any games in past 1.5 year bought 28 games(some realy cheap ones and few full prices) over 8 year span.

I buy these days almost mainly from GOG.COM.

But as i see it now i probably wont buy anything anymore with all these MONEY WALLS they put more and more up and its getting worse.

Funny thing is im not poor i can easly pay for it if i want but some things i just don't do out of principle.

I'm going to shit on a nice plate and put it on a sale. I have every right to demand money for it, you know, it takes time and effort to create such shit. Mind you, I have under no obligation to give tech support for such shit.

Not that these recent Bethesda/Steam antics have changed how I will buy games from them:

New Vegas was released and I paid 15 bucks for it and the Caravan Pack on EBay.

Skyrim was released and I didn't buy it until it was on sale.

I already know the next Beth game will be just as much a buggy wreck as everything else they make so that's why I wait.  This time I'll be waiting to see how they deal with DRMs, mandatory on-line connections during game-play, how they handle the construction kit, and everything else.  I already knew they weren't trustworthy or capable of releasing a quality game that doesn't require player-made content to get the basics working.  If they're seeking to control that too...well...fuck them.  I'll buy something else, since 'something else' usually works as intended right out of the box.

Got a reply from Gopher on one of my comments, not sure if im in the wrong anymore, bleh wasnt really thinkin straight. Ima just go away for a while this shit is crazy

You do know that the Gopher isn't god? Actually no idea what you wrote, but a personal conviction is, well, personal. (You never know you may be right - it's a long shot and totally meaningless in the scheme of things, but still.....).

Any desire I had to mod anything at this point is going down the drain:-(

When steam first came out many people were against it but the dumbass majority was all for it claiming it would get rid of cheaters and hackers among many other stupid claims. This shit happening now is EXACTLY why people complained about steam when it first came out. Here is the result of the dumbass majority supporting steam, hope they like paying for every dam single thing they get from steam now. To become a user of steam it should be a legal requirement that the person has to first bend over something and wait for gabe to come screw them in the ass first before they can sign on the first time.

I only went steam because of Skyrim i've not buy any games in past 1.5 year bought 28 games(some realy cheap ones and few full prices) over 8 year span.

I buy these days almost mainly from GOG.COM.

But as i see it now i probably wont buy anything anymore with all these MONEY WALLS they put more and more up and its getting worse.

Funny thing is im not poor i can easly pay for it if i want but some things i just don't do out of principle.

Yeah, GOG.com is still fair to its customers (so far at least). Same goes for CDProjekt, a sister-company of GOG.com (same owners). I guess I'll limit myself to buying games from them. It may turn out quite well, considering that Witcher 3 is going to be open-world, and most probably very Skyrim-like. I just wish they give us modding tools a bit earlier than they did in case of Witcher 1 and 2.

SkyUI and SKSE...they're both essentials here...how the fuck can this be happening?

SKSE devs said they are trying to get SKSE on the workshop but they won't be taking money for it.

If this is true then maybe it won't be that big of a deal. And SkyUI is a done product anyway, they haven't updated that piece of shit for ages.

I hope someone makes a funny video about how shitty the base game of skyrim really is and compare it to what it looks like after mods. The base game will actually look better than future games from beth after this shit goes on for a while. Beth won't even have to hire any decent texture artists or modellers just put some minecraft looking shit in there and dump the details on the paid modders. Crank out the next shit game and repeat.

Here, the official word from the SKSE team
No need to worry.

Officially
  1. SKSE (and all of our other Script Extenders) will remain FREE to use for everyone. We will not charge anyone for it. Ever.
  2. Creators of mods which depend upon SKSE must make their own choices regarding whether to ask for payment for their mods.
  3. We will not receive any partial payment from those sales.
  4. Reasons for #2 and #3: See #1.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1516811-discussion-for-workshop-paid-mods-thread-3/page-3?do=findComment&comment=23943101

Archived