A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

I am finding it extremely difficult right now to even bother playing games made by a company that is trying so dam hard to turn my fellow gamers against each other. I don't want to even think about their games now or play them. I don't care if they do announce fallout 4/next es game I just don't give a dam at this point. Bethesda is looking like another ubisoft to me right now. I already have a problem with star citizen and the bs going on with that, star citizen made by chris roberts a name I grew up with as did a lot of other people. This whole thing feels like if there was some really good person in the world and they just announced they sold out for money or something ya know? This whole thing just really sucks I hate it. I don't see any point in turning on my gaming rig now since I was mostly playing oblivion and before that skyrim for several years. What am I gonna play on there? I don't play shit games like call of dookie or brokenfield and I can't stand boring racing games and boring sports games. I don't like any games made by blizzard and I don't play games that are online only fuck that.

What is the point of playing games at this point? There are no good games maybe some people say witcher 3 but I can't stand the idea of playing as that one character he looks like a really old emo guy yuk:-( I don't think there is even a first person view in that game?

Dammit this just sucks now there is nothing to play really.

Funny thing. Chesko sounds like a victim in his explanation. I'm really not sure what to think about it.

He either is one of the greatest liars I've ever met, or really thinks what he said, which makes him a complete idiot, to step into shit like that without seeing it coming.

Oh god, he can't remove his own content! The same goes for Nexus - once you get banned, there is no way to remove your mods from their site.

It's amazing, how he really sounds surprised by that.

Funny thing. Chesko sounds like a victim in his explanation. I'm really not sure what to think about it.

He either is one of the greatest liars I've ever met, or really thinks what he said, which makes him a complete idiot, to step into shit like that without seeing it coming.

Oh god, he can't remove his own content! The same goes for Nexus - once you get banned, there is no way to remove your mods from their site.

It's amazing, how he really sounds surprised by that.

Well, if they removed it, they'd have to refund the people who already paid for it.  And we all know how much Valve loves refunds...

You might find this interesting.

A full chesko's explanation on reddit.

Err..

Did Chesko state in this that the Nexus is getting money from these Steam sales? :blink:

This is very interesting if true..

I am also considering removing my content from the Nexus. Why? The problem is that Robin et al, for perfectly good political reasons, have positioned themselves as essentially the champions of free mods and that they would never implement a for-pay system. However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut. I'm not sure I'm comfortable supporting that any longer. I may just host my mods on my own site for anyone who is interested.

Guest endgameaddiction
before signing a contract, I read it carefully.

If I don't understand something, I ask for a consultation with my lawyer.

some modders are so childlike in their simplicity (or very clever in finding excuses)..

Zenimax, Bethesda and Valve are corporate companies..

all they do is to their advantage.

Err..

Did Chesko state in this that the Nexus is getting money from these Steam sales? :blink:

I am also considering removing my content from the Nexus. Why? The problem is that Robin et al, for perfectly good political reasons, have positioned themselves as essentially the champions of free mods and that they would never implement a for-pay system. However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut. I'm not sure I'm comfortable supporting that any longer. I may just host my mods on my own site for anyone who is interested.

If it is true then Darkone is a big fat fucking liar, because for the longest time he's been advocating against the mod fees. I don't think he'd eat his own words, but I guess everything is possible at this point.

Err..

If it is true then Darkone is a big fat fucking liar, because for the longest time he's been advocating against the mod fees. I don't think he'd eat his own words, but I guess everything is possible at this point.

It is true, the modmaker can name Nexus as 'service provider' and they get 1-5% of valves cut depending on how many other service providers the modmaker chooses.

http://i.imgur.com/hbxt5ng.jpg

I support the paid mods so long as the modder doesn't pay % to the game company, I mean seriously fuck Bethesda and Steam, they had enough money already...

And as long as the modder doesn't demand 1€ per armor or weapon... I mean 30 armours for 5€ is reasonable to me, or a quest mod so long as it's good and so long as they are curated by good reviewers...

There's more and more donation versions of mods on the review page(Which seems to be fully functional again), but this is still not the right way. Beth and Valve (gotdamn nexus least of all... seriously wtf) should not get a cut at all from the modders work for fucks sake. 

giphy.gif

Didn't read the whole thread, but I guess its time to also keep an eye for someone stealing some mods here and selling it there.

I don't have anything against the modders who does this, I do hope that they have learned their lessons and I do hope they will return at one point, one way or another. I would gladly donate, but when I have to pay then there's a certain expectation to go with it. Then there's the issue of using resources from other mods and possible mod piracy.

IMHO the one who fucked up here are Valve and Bethesda, I don't know whose ideas was it but they should have experiment this on a new game such as Fallout 4/TES 6/etc instead of an older game such as Skyrim, especially when they have a well established modding community going on. Now would gamers be hype on the release of another moddable game from Beth? Would they remember today and worry about the pay wall for mods? Would the community's spirit of modding be restored?

Who knows right?

I would still look out for that new Frostfall though. I might not agree with what s/he done but I still like that mod of his.

I would never ever have paid for a mod on Steam.

If a Falskaar sized mod with a dedicated team and a clear idea of what they wanted got put up on Kickstarter and they asked for a reasonable amount, I'd be donating. I'd love the opportunity to support something like that getting off. As Chesko pointed out in the reddit post, the whole buisness model with Steam kinda killed any chance of that resulting in a big mod like that. But maybe it opened exactly the same doors that Skyrim Romance Mod just a bit ago got slammed in their face for.

I predict next step is...

Do you want to play your solo RPG PAY or not able this next paywall Valve come sup witth.

Next other evolve is cashhop in solo RPG or half game now like it you can buy next half of the game price total 120 euros.

Believe me they will come up with ways to even put more behind paywall.

Worse scenario you pay monthly amount every month to play through steam.

Google start putting all non profit on bottom search list or just make it imposible to even find it.

Thats the future im affraid :(

P.S How many modders who make sex mods will stop and start making normal mods so they can earn money on steam?

I support the paid mods so long as the modder doesn't pay % to the game company, I mean seriously fuck Bethesda and Steam, they had enough money already...

I'd be down with that as well, provided the cut was reasonable and not "here's your tip, sucker, thanks for making us wads of cash with no effort of our own!".

In fact, I'd argue it's good if the producer of the game gets a cut, because it incentivizes proper support for mods - sad as it may be, you can't really expect a large company to provide that out of the goodness of their hearts, but corporates will jump through all hoops if there's money at the end of the track.

Consider that the launch of paid mods on Workshop would have happened without a day one scandal and one of the about three participating modders who posted relevant content (rather than single armors/weapons) giving up on the project had Bethesda included support for custom animations natively in their modding tools. If they're smart, and if they really want to profit from mod sales, they'll have to do better than Creation Kit in the future so that quality content can be sold without getting bogged down by copyright claims from the makers of third party modding tools.

And as long as the modder doesn't demand 1€ per armor or weapon... I mean 30 armours for 5€ is reasonable to me, or a quest mod so long as it's good and so long as they are curated by good reviewers...

These are things that would self-regulate, given time. Everyone has the right to put whatever pricetag he fancies on whatever he has to sell, just like everyone has the right to laugh at the guy who overprices his merchandise and not buy from him. In time, and given constant competition from free mods both on Workshop and Nexus, those who'd like to make money from modding would have to do much better than single weapons and shit like that, possibly creating really awesome mods that would have never happened otherwise.

Alas, it seems the community is all too willing to overlook any possible gains from this solution and focus solely on negativity. Which is admittedly easy, seeing how Valve seemed to spare no effort in making this as shitty as they could on their side of the deal. Still, a damn shame if you ask me.

Archived