A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Today is a black day for Skyrim modding. A couple well known modders literally sold out to Steam, and started to put mods up for sale on that Bethesda sanctioned 'curated' workshop system.

Here is a link to the list right now: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems&requiredflags%5B%5D=paiditems

If you made assets, better visit the workshop on a regular base, if someone is trying to rake in the money on the work you did....

2 of my most favorite modders, isoku and Chesko, jumped first into this money train.

This is really sad. I don't understand this decision at all. If they want to "support the

modders," isn't a donation button good enough? Does anyone know if Steam or Beth will

share a part of the profit from "mod sale"? They sure didn't mention that in the announcement.

Fun thing is: Chesko posted a contest for 'make camping stuff with my devkit for Campfire' on reddit. Saying that the best results would be included in the mod, officially.

Also, in reply to this: Beth is getting a cut, actually. The last updates to Skyrim and the CK were for exactly THIS.

This is surely an April fool's joke of the highest elaboration. Nice job guys, you got us. 

Now that the fun is had, where's Bethesda to shut this down and end their pathetic and life-ruining marriage to steam/valve?

This will be a replay of what happened to Sims modding a few years ago.

Modders will start charging for mods and there will be groups of people who will form slush funds to buy those mods.  They will then redistribute them to everyone free of charge, much to the chagrin of the Modding for Money crowd and the entities/people who support them.  I have little sympathy and zero respect for anyone who charges money for a mod.  And if this plays out like I think it will, the modders charging for content will get flustered and end up quitting the scene altogether...and good riddance.

This will be a replay of what happened to Sims modding a few years ago.

Modders will start charging for mods and there will be groups of people who will form slush funds to buy those mods.  They will then redistribute them to everyone free of charge, much to the chagrin of the Modding for Money crowd and the entities/people who support them.  I have little sympathy and zero respect for anyone who charges money for a mod.  And if this plays out like I think it will, the modders charging for content will get flustered and end up quitting the scene altogether...and good riddance.

I normally dislike your condescending attitude towards users of certain utility programs - but I pretty much agree with your 'no sympathy' here.

My opinion on paid mods:

Yarr - Harr, Fiddle-di-dee.....

I'm pretty sure there stuff that forbids this.

In theory it violates Bethesda's EULA since people can't charge for anything made with their software.  That is why they freely and shamelessly steal script schemes and ideas from modders.  The only things they don't own are original meshes and textures.  Bethesda can pretty much do whatever they want since they have an army of attorneys ready to battle anyone who might take them to task for the flagrant misuse of content they didn't make or have legitimate legal claim to.  They're part of a corporation and that's what corporations do.  They only way to beat them is to scuttle their plans as individuals, and that is a 100% certainty.  Does anyone really think Russian, Korean, and Japanese mod clans are going to take this crap?  They'll do exactly what I've said they will do; buy the mods from a fund and then hand them out to anyone who wants them.  And there is no way Steam/Valve, Bethesda/Zenimax or the greedy grubbing modders can stop it.

I just watched Gopher's video about this.

I understand where people are coming from. But modders are going to get only 25 % while Bethesda and the distributors get 75 %. Although distributors already get paid by advertisements, and Bethesda got paid for their job when we bought the game. The modders' share should be at least 75 %.

But I agree with Kendo. People will steal the mods and sell them for less or give them away for free, and the original modders will just ragequit and maybe take down their mods for good. The modding community will start envying and competing with each other. And we'll all lose.

I'm really saddened to see this. I had been taking a little break since it's such a hard thing to learn, this modding and I love it dearly and I find this mess of greed.

I was reading through the comments for some and at least Chesko said his mods would still be free on nexus. 

The first thing I want to point out is that I intend to continue releasing my mods for free on Skyrim Nexus , after a period of time spent exclusive on the Workshop. You will not be locked out of my work.

The second thing is that the contract between us has not changed. I will continue to provide the high level of support now as I have for the last 4 years. In return, I ask for your civility; the introduction of monetary support does not justify additional demands or worse, abuse. I appreciate your critical feedback and candor; I'm willing to have a discussion. I'm not willing to be attacked.

Still. There seems something very wrong and I'm wondering if mods are going to start disappearing from the nexus as people try to jump on the pay bandwagon (This can't seriously be a thing...) As we speak, more and more mods are hopping on the paid list...(Oh my god it is a thing...) Donating is one thing, charging the equivalent of the FULL GAME SALE PRICE is entirely another. Yes, money is hard to come by for a lot of people right now. I'm still jobless after 2 years because I'm either overqualified or under qualified. (I can't even get a fucking job at a fast food place because they 'won't be able to give me enough hours to be happy'... Bitch please. Anyway that's neither here nor there)

My point is, people haven't got money to frizzle away on the silly extra stuff. We donate when we can and we give what we can because we know it was hard work. We love that dedication and care went into this stuff. Hell, some of us try it ourselves and find it -seriously- overwhelming and get a much bigger appreciation for the talent it takes to make a decent mod.

What's going to happen with those mods that piggy back off others that are free? Like SKSE, and such? My brain can't even comprehend this right now. 

Level-9-Youre-Literally-Dead-You-Literal

jimmy.gif

okay, so nobody's thinking along the lines of spamming the damn feature with bullshit mods?

"Pay me 5 bucks and I give you 10,000 gold in-game!"

"For the low price of 10 bucks, I give you people running around screaming 'take all my money!'"

"For only $3.99, I add 2 T-shirts to the game. One says 'Paid for the game, the DLCs and now mods too!". The other "I'm with stupid <-" "

okay, so nobody's thinking along the lines of spamming the damn feature with bullshit mods?

"For the low price of 10 bucks, I give you people running around screaming 'take all my money!'"

"For only $3.99, I add 2 T-shirts to the game. One says 'Paid for the game, the DLCs and now mods too!". The other "I'm with stupid <-" "

I think I love you ROFLMGDFAO (I dunno if that's still a thing anymore :( )

Nice cash in by Bethesda. 

Modders are cleaning their asses for free and silently for years, why not directly earn money off the efforts of modders now? 

Makes perfect sense. (To the corporate suits in both Bethesda and Valve anyway)

I know this is sarcasm, but I'm really worried that modders will just leave the current version of their mods on the Nexus as "legacy" version, and migrate paid updated versions to Steam Workshops.

This is possible. However, as Kendo said, Beth doesn't have the capability of locking their esps, esms, so people can form funds to buy mods and redistribute them.

All in all, it's shameless of Valve to do this.

Reminded me of our previous discussion in this thread...

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/43968-skyrim-drops-100mb-file-limitation-on-steam/

Their next step would probably be to establish a Workshop monopoly over every moddable game sold on Steam. Say goodbye to your mod managers if you want to mod Bethesda games.

It's a good development, I love it... One more reason to stay clear of Steam/Valve and Bethesda...

I'm sure there are many modders who are happy to get paid 25% of their mod's worth, while Valve and Beth gets the rest of the money...

I'm expecting the worst case scenario now, where besides the kind of mods done on loverslab, all "regular" mods end up being sold on steam from one outfit mod to long quest mods.

The future is not bright, not at all.

The Nexus already stated they aren't going to charge for mods, and I doubt modb will either. So at least we have that. 

Considering how outragous this whole thing is and the massive backlash that follows (the steam forums are on fire right now and most paid mods are getting flamed) it is likely this fad wil die a slow death. 

I'm sure for the next modable Bethesda game there will be a Steam-only uploads system.

And this bullshit from Chesko

"the introduction of monetary support does not justify additional demands"

Well...YEAH, it does.  Yesterday your mods were free.  Today they are $19.95.  For twenty bucks you had better be shitting us diamond Tiffany cufflinks.  In other words; fucking flawless.

I hope these douche bags get robbed blind and then ragequit.

I'm expecting the worst case scenario now, where besides the kind of mods done on loverslab, all "regular" mods end up being sold on steam from one outfit mod to long quest mods.

The future is not bright, not at all.

The Nexus already stated they aren't going to charge for mods, and I doubt modb will either. So at least we have that. 

Considering how outragous this whole thing is and the massive backlash that follows (the steam forums are on fire right now and most paid mods are getting flamed) it is likely this fad wil die a slow death. 

And what if steam force the nexus to take down all the mods they are selling? That"'s what I'm implying there. They are testing the water before the full scale assault.

Yeah, I'm over it. I was a little shocked, but I suppose everyone really needs to expect this for the current way the industry (all industry) works. Aggressive reaction won't help.

That said, The masses need peaceful real world protest and boycott for this sort of corporate behavior. Otherwise we're going to keep getting it in the face like this. One of the prime reasons that anyone still plays Skyrim (a 4 year old game now) is because it was a "free" to expand and continuously growing content that didn't ask for cash every ten minutes. 

Meanwhile Warcraft players are still shelling out monthly for content that isn't being updated or improved, and Titanfall players are shelling out literally four times that for... well.. No content at all. Don't get me started on Star Citizen "players" who are paying even more for... promises. 

$65 USD is too much for an interactive commercial. Compare that to $5 Wet and Cold, and the pattern is clear. Com'on people... please. Just really?

Beth's/Valve's Reaction to us:

oEg8zdu.gif

The Mod Creator's reaction (at the moment)

fGj1OqG.gif

Nexus Reaction

ACC23Ff.gif?1

This is worst nightmare, if they wanted to support modders, they should have put "support" button right next to "subscribe\download" button. This system is dumb and was done with greed in mind. Corporate greed knows no bounds!!! :@ :@ :@

I'm shocked.. just shocked. Who, no, what could possibly come up with such stupid system in mind?

Archived