A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

What would be really kick ass would be if someone developed an alternative to SkyUI. With the same MCM Functionality and a different but similarly useful layout. And for free.

Would be really really kick ass if Loverlab was the one to do it.

I'm willing to bet this will happen, maybe not on LL, but if a very popular mod that many mods rely on chooses to go "premium", somebody will come up with a free alternative. Who knows, maybe it'll even be better than the paid thing? It's not like such things don't happen in the world of open source software.

This, again, will force the people who try to monetize their stuff to up the ante and work harder, possibly researching alternatives to existing stuff that'd prohibit them from asking for money, like FNIS now does. In the end, it would create certain incompatibilities between free mods and paid mods, but also vastly increase options for consumers.

...that, or Valve and whatever publishers jump on their bandwagon will actually try to lock out non-Workshop mods from their games. This would be horrible, no doubt about that. I hope if any moves are made by the corporates in this direction, the modders will refuse to partake in the project any longer.

Of course they will lock down everything, they won't make ALL the money they want if they don't lock it down. The only thing companies understand is locking stuff down and mobilizing their armies of lawyers and lobbyists to get the most money possible. Why we continue to buy their shitty products is beyond my understanding.

no, this will bring the modders of the first mod to steam, who will lead a lawsuit for them against the modders of the second mod, and even if its a completely new invention, it will scare the modders of any wannabee alternative away..

What would be really kick ass would be if someone developed an alternative to SkyUI. With the same MCM Functionality and a different but similarly useful layout. And for free.

Would be really really kick ass if Loverlab was the one to do it.

I'm willing to bet this will happen, maybe not on LL, but if a very popular mod that many mods rely on chooses to go "premium", somebody will come up with a free alternative. Who knows, maybe it'll even be better than the paid thing? It's not like such things don't happen in the world of open source software.

This, again, will force the people who try to monetize their stuff to up the ante and work harder, possibly researching alternatives to existing stuff that'd prohibit them from asking for money, like FNIS now does. In the end, it would create certain incompatibilities between free mods and paid mods, but also vastly increase options for consumers.

...that, or Valve and whatever publishers jump on their bandwagon will actually try to lock out non-Workshop mods from their games. This would be horrible, no doubt about that. I hope if any moves are made by the corporates in this direction, the modders will refuse to partake in the project any longer.

I don't think so... I think behind the scenes modders really want to get paid. Especially the younger ones.

You have to remember that only 5 years ago the older modders left modding just because the new generation of modders werre asking for PERMISSION to use their mods. LoL In the beginning all mods were free and you didn't need to ask permission to use something from a mod... I wonder what Wrye thinks of all this eh?

The interesting part here is SKSE. Their license states that anyone selling assets and scripts made by them is prohibited. Neither Valve or Bethesda can't really claim their work, so technically all paid mods using SKSE resources could be considered illegal.

Greetings

What you wrote there is not exactly "true" because SKSE already altered the Skyrim.exe file ... and this fact is not exactly " legal " too.

The question i'm thinking about is why they chose Skyrim ?

Did you ever seen another game with so much native bugs ? ... and so many " bugged " mods too ?

Not me.

Without the modding communauty their two last games ( oblivion and Skyrim ) are " nothing " ... Morrowind was great ( except for the NPC's look ) there was a " feeling " in this game , but sorry , Oblivion and Skyrim are just " tape à l'oei " ( it's french , sorry i have no meaning of the english terms for these words )   ...

Skyrim was the first game ( and probably the  last ) i bought using the horrible steam system , i have no choice but no one mention in the jacket about the fact i need to continuously use "Steam" to launch my game ... and that's not " legal " too in my country ( Belgique-Belgïe- or Belgium in english )  .

The only mention was about the need to have an internet connection to install the game but not to use it !

The rules of Valves , Bethesda , Zenimax etc are one thing , but they past "after " the laws of each countries where they sold their games.

Even a " monster " like Microsoft cannot do what he want where he want ...

Cheers.

Reading the last 10 or so pages (this topic is just FLYING, btw) I'm shocked that others are shocked that Dark0ne is liar and scam artist.  I've known that since 2008 after my first PM exchange with him.  He was a wormy little momma's boy fuck then and he's all that and more now.  The now-defunct Banned From Nexus thread was FULL of facts about him, quotes of him bald faced lying, and all of the other dirty bullshit he does.  And people love him for it.

The only reason I had any insight as to what would happen with all of this is at one time I was a suit and I know in detail how big corporations will enter negotiations with small potatoes businesses and individuals with ideas and the next thing you know that corporation backs out, their lawyers move in, and any innovations made by Mr. Small Potatoes ends up in the hands of said corporation.  I've seen it first hand and I've been on the receiving end of it when I was in the oil and natural gas business.  The Chinese government is using MY high volume compression nozzles on their oil rigs in the China Sea.  My AutoCad drawings, my mill work, MY IDEA.  And they stole it.  That was the reason I left big business and went into big iron.

Anyway, looking at what happened to Chesko (I doubt everything he types at this point), Valve's 'unless we are compelled to legally do so' in regards to removing his content is typical and what getting paid for modding will become.  Valve's stance is crystal clear; if you get in bed with us they are no longer your mods, they are OUR MODS.  I'm sure Dark0ne is creaming his panties at the thought of high jacking mods from their authors and claiming ownership.  He said as much in 2013 in the modder's section at Nexus.

Just stop buying their games, don't make any more mods don't help anyone on the steam forums with anything. Keep any work you do inside 3rd party places like here or similar.

How many people actually work on the unofficial patches? arthmoor can't be the only one but I doubt it is a lot of people. What if those people including arthmoor just said "fuk it" and left the modding scene? then bugfesta would have to keep the fixes going. We already know they won't fix a dam thing unless they have to and what they see as have to is different from how anyone else in the world would see it. So let bugfesta rot don't help them anymore don't help anyone to use their prroducts anymore outside of the places you support like here or similar. In time people will gravitate away from bugfesta games and their customer base will shrink.

Less people will be playing games by the end of the year anyway thanks to the really bad shit going down financially so far. Hopefully the gaming industry goes down a bit and takes some of bugfesta and valves egos down with it.

Bethesda never has been my favorite game company.  The only I buy their products is so I can easily add my own content to them and make the game uniquely my own.  With every Bethesda release since Morrowind modding has become more and more of a hassle and the vanilla games are not getting better.  They might be different, but they are not better and certainly not on the cutting edge of what can be done with a game in development.  They are actually behind the curve.  I fully expect the next game to be even more restrictive as far as modding goes and the obvious tact Valve is taking is going to make modding even less appealing.  And if I can't mod a Bethesda game the way I want, what's the fucking point in buy it?

Guest endgameaddiction

Reading the last 10 or so pages (this topic is just FLYING, btw) I'm shocked that others are shocked that Dark0ne is liar and scam artist.  I've known that since 2008 after my first PM exchange with him.  He was a wormy little momma's boy fuck then and he's all that and more now.  The now-defunct Banned From Nexus thread was FULL of facts about him, quotes of him bald faced lying, and all of the other dirty bullshit he does.  And people love him for it.

The only reason I had any insight as to what would happen with all of this is at one time I was a suit and I know in detail how big corporations will enter negotiations with small potatoes businesses and individuals with ideas and the next thing you know that corporation backs out, their lawyers move in, and any innovations made by Mr. Small Potatoes ends up in the hands of said corporation.  I've seen it first hand and I've been on the receiving end of it when I was in the oil and natural gas business.  The Chinese government is using MY high volume compression nozzles on their oil rigs in the China Sea.  My AutoCad drawings, my mill work, MY IDEA.  And they stole it.  That was the reason I left big business and went into big iron.

Anyway, looking at what happened to Chesko (I doubt everything he types at this point), Valve's 'unless we are compelled to legally do so' in regards to removing his content is typical and what getting paid for modding will become.  Valve's stance is crystal clear; if you get in bed with us they are no longer your mods, they are OUR MODS.  I'm sure Dark0ne is creaming his panties at the thought of high jacking mods from their authors and claiming ownership.  He said as much in 2013 in the modder's section at Nexus.

Ah, but poor little Nexus fans. The one's who would cut their veins for D0 if only he ask. What a total deception. But as always, he'll sugarcoat it and come up with some lame excuse/lie and fill them with joy and keep Nexus going. Mindless puppets....

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/images/91983/?go=force_view

The interesting part here is SKSE. Their license states that anyone selling assets and scripts made by them is prohibited. Neither Valve or Bethesda can't really claim their work, so technically all paid mods using SKSE resources could be considered illegal.

Greetings

What you wrote there is not exactly "true" because SKSE already altered the Skyrim.exe file ... and this fact is not exactly " legal " too.

Altered Skyrim.exe? Where did you dig that bullshit out? SKSE does NOT modify any Skyrim exe files. The only files SKSE modifies are scripts (pex, psc files) and it's 100% legal to do so. SKSE is completely legal, and please don't speak if you have no idea what you're talking about.

I wonder how many of the modders that have or will opt into this will opt out as soon as they realize what ever money they do make has to be declared on there taxes as income, and if they don't Beth and Valve must as businesses report their 75%.

and gee just in time for the big E3 announcments of even more modable games.

Personally I see lawsuits at hand when Bethesda and Valve make money on a mod made of ripped game and or DAZ-3D content.

because you know it's gonna happen.

Actually ports from DAZ 3D product family are completely legal, as long as the assets you worked with were downloaded legally and not via torrents.

The program itself is free. The assets are sold by their respective authors via DAZ online store.

I know most ppl have torrented the assets, but still it should be relatively easy to pretend otherwise, simply by refusing to disclose your Daz login data.

I always said Bethesda was my favorite game company..FUDGE!

Got nowhere to turn now..

I still have faith in CDProjekt Red. I hope it lasts... Witcher 3 is coming soon.

I wonder how many of the modders that have or will opt into this will opt out as soon as they realize what ever money they do make has to be declared on there taxes as income, and if they don't Beth and Valve must as businesses report their 75%.

and gee just in time for the big E3 announcments of even more modable games.

Personally I see lawsuits at hand when Bethesda and Valve make money on a mod made of ripped game and or DAZ-3D content.

because you know it's gonna happen.

Actually ports from DAZ 3D product family are completely legal, as long as the assets you worked with were downloaded legally and not via torrents.

The program itself is free. The assets are sold by their respective authors via DAZ online store.

I know most ppl have torrented the assets, but still it should be relatively easy to pretend otherwise, simply by refusing to disclose your Daz login data.

I always said Bethesda was my favorite game company..FUDGE!

Got nowhere to turn now..

I still have faith in CDProjekt Red. I hope it lasts... Witcher 3 is coming soon.

Oh yea! I totally forgot about the witcher! Mhm! Totally ready for my game beard! woo!

Bethesda never has been my favorite game company.  The only I buy their products is so I can easily add my own content to them and make the game uniquely my own.  With every Bethesda release since Morrowind modding has become more and more of a hassle and the vanilla games are not getting better.  They might be different, but they are not better and certainly not on the cutting edge of what can be done with a game in development.  They are actually behind the curve.  I fully expect the next game to be even more restrictive as far as modding goes and the obvious tact Valve is taking is going to make modding even less appealing.  And if I can't mod a Bethesda game the way I want, what's the fucking point in buy it?

THIS

This is so saddening to see. Such a major rift is being created between user and modder because of a horrific garbage of a system implemented by Bethesda/Valve. All respect lost to them. They are already rolling in the money and they need more? That is greed, and that is what will be the undoing of them sooner or later. Now with Skyui already migrating to the workshop Im sure other mods will follow suit and this will just be a complete mess.

Oh bethesda, bethesda, what for art thou ruin the thing that most people loved you for?

Guest endgameaddiction

I expect this won't happen until Fallout 4, TESVI and so on. Seems to me that Fallout 4 will be the official first beth game to completely be restricted from free mods and assorted with any community outside of steam.

I expect this won't happen until Fallout 4, TESVI and so on. Seems to me that Fallout 4 will be the official first beth game to completely be restricted from free mods and assorted with any community outside of steam.

Guess I'm not getting FO4. Debating whether Gaben is gonna get another sheckel from me.

Well, I'm done with bugfesta games. I will take some time away from this shit and try to decide if I will continue modding or just quit and wait this shit out for many months or even a year. I'm tired of playing shitty games that need five or ten modders minimum to fix and maintain. I'm tired of trying to figure out how to properly install mods for a bugfesta game even just the unofficial patches along with all the DLC for skyrim is hard enough to get right. Then if the game takes a shit on my save file I have to revert to an earlier save or start over. Saving every single dam time just before I get to a door with a load screen is just too annoying. Shitty programming and faulty mod tools like the ck or cs make things worse. The cs had to be fixed by modders! This shit is just unbearable and it keeps me from installing skyrim again. The amount of shit I would have to go through just to get everything juuuuuust right for skyrim is unacceptable. To make a mod for skyrim I have to do a clean install and get all that shit right just to make one dam mod to ensure that no stray scripts or assets are accidentally put into any mod I make.

Tod howard whatever the bugfesta ceo name is can suck my dick!

Archived