"What are you playing" thread

On 4/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, ToJKa said:

Just finished it myself too. Great job, though i wonder about that Destiny bullshit. Was that there just to have an asspull giant boss at the end, or does it mean that now that Destiny is broken (or something? :classic_confused:) it's gives Squeenix an excuse to make the rest of the story not follow the original game?

Spoiler

Pretty much an excuse to take personal liberties with the original plot. Given they went with the time travel trope that's been spammed in a lot of long running series recently the whispers were at least an interesting twist. A force trying to stop the tampering with the timeline. And then you kill it in the second to final battle, effectively cementing the new timeline. I expect the followup game will go even further off the rails of the original game's plot.

On that note of given all the deaths they've decided to recon why did they let Jessie still die, dangit? She was cute.

Trials of Mana Remake's full release happened today. Haven't gotten even to the first boss yet, but thus far I'm enjoying what I see. Glad I put a hold on fully playing through the SNES original to wait for the remake:

z20200424190816_1.jpg.feba0af7197deced62ba7d0e000460cf.jpg

Getting decent screenshots will be tricky, being there are few options for the camera and no options to turn off the HUD as far as I can tell thus far.

That moment you realize as silly as the Ali Baba dancing merchants looked in the original game they look even sillier in 3D:

z20200424195109_1.jpg.e9d76c99c2df155960569ac32882041c.jpg

Game's built in Unreal Engine so I can only imagine there will at least be skin mods for it soon.

Well, that was a pathetic end boss in Borderlands 3. But so were the villains. Fun enough to play. Especially with Moze's mech, and you can't beat a Vladof Assault Minigun with a shotgun. It just doesn't have the charm of 2.

Also, who shot down Helios, and why wasn't i invited?! :classic_angry:

2 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Well, that was a pathetic end boss in Borderlands 3. But so were the villains. Fun enough to play. Especially with Moze's mech, and you can't beat a Vladof Assault Minigun with a shotgun. It just doesn't have the charm of 2.

Also, who shot down Helios, and why wasn't i invited?! :classic_angry:

Spoiler

Rhys was the one who destroyed Helios, according to the Tales From the Borderlands series, by making it crash. Never bothered with that series since it was a different style of gameplay.

It is fun, sure. But I agree that the humour and storyline falls a little flat. Even predictable most times. And I also like the Moze character (starting on a 3rd playthrough with her again). I just can't get into the Amara one, and FL4K takes a little time to get used to.

Oddest thing though is I actually had quite a few Legendaries drop in offline mode, much more than any of the other games. Think the use of Guardian points into Luck and Artifacts that also increase Luck helped in that accord. As for secrets in the game, one pissed me off towards the end of my second playthrough as I had never bothered to wonder why it was there in the first.

Spoiler

In Desolation's Edge, the cube floating in the middle of the map was a secret loot box. I found that out the hard way when I bumped my coffee mug with my mouse, accidentally firing a very lucky shot at one side of it and causing it to light up. Otherwise I might have never found out about it on my own. Always have to remember the Borderlands rule: if it looks suspicious, investigate it!

I've downloaded roms of games I haven't played in thirty-odd years, mostly Master System ones from my childhood. I still have the original cartridges and even console but getting that thing working on flatscreen TVs doesn't work because they lack the proper input (and I don't want to lug out my old tube TV from storage). Some, like Golvellius and Zillion, incorporate the story into the game itself instead of just being a blurb in the manual. That was fairly rare in the 8-bit days, beyond the few RPGs and other story-driven games that made it to America's shores.

16 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

lug out my old tube TV

I think all of us 'oldies' still have the old 'tube' TV stashed somewhere. Mine is from '91. It had warranty work to replace the main tube power transformer within 6 months of purchase, and still works fine to this day now.....

19 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

It's crazy with what you can do on a phone, nowadays.

Truly. And to think I still only use mine to make calls....

Spoiler

THQ recently had a steam sale at 80% off for around 10 titles. More on my plate. Not familiar with the Red Faction IP but it could be fun, plus I haven't finished Darksiders 1 yet and now have 2 waiting. I hope I live long enough to play my backlog....

Neither Darksiders is a long game, but I enjoyed all of the original three titles.

Shot Alien: Isolation in steam's sale for 2 bucks yesterday.

Started the Free to play content of Destiny 2 with a couple of friends this weekend and it's mostly fun except for how confusing everything is set up and that you can have a max of 3 players per party when not doing raids. We're still looking for alternatives. Probably Borderlands (one of my friends got banned in Warframe with a 600h acc so that's likely not happening) or when it's on sale, Earth Defense Force.

Other than that, I recently started Fallout 4 again, hopefully to finally clear all vanilla content.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:47 AM, Cozza said:

I just finished the FF7 remake last night. I loved FF7 as a kid and couldn't wait for the remake. Love the graphics, gameplay was nice. This game is conflicting. On 1 hand, I love the gameplay, the graphics. The other, well its in a spoiler below to not ruin it but for me it ruined the game and the feeling I had playing it to the point were I really dont wanna go back and play through it.

Few smaller complaints.

Few sections felt like padding. Underplate and Hojos lab. Corneo coliseum.

The stagger system is a headache sometimes, especially boss fights. Feels like allot of trial/error. Get your materia right and its hard. Get it wrong and its allmost impossible.

Now for the big complaint.

SPOILER. You have been warned

Hide contents

That ending is just a giant fucking slap across the face for fans of the original.

You have to fight destiny to stop the original game happening so you can have a new adventure. During the boss fight you see snippets of the original game. Red 13 running through the canyon, Aeris dieing, Meteor. All explained by this is what will happen if we fail to beat destiny.

Zack is alive having survived his last stand against Shinra. Game makes no attempt to explain to new players who Zack is btw so new players to the series are gonna be pretty confused who he is.

Well to be fair

Spoiler

Nobody knew who Zack was when the original came out. And it's a remake, not a remaster. They adhere to the story and make alterations where they see fit. I personally found making Cloud into a depressed, broken man who felt like he let his friends die, and not allowing Zack and Aerith to stay together in the realm of the living, as very miserable story. I also like how they changed Sephiroth's rivalry with Cloud into a more...well for a lack of a better way to explain it, Sephiroth seemed more like the Joker to Cloud's Batman. I personally love how we get to make our own fate this time around. But that's just me.

21 hours ago, Azzhat said:

Well to be fair

Hide contents

Nobody knew who Zack was when the original came out. And it's a remake, not a remaster. They adhere to the story and make alterations where they see fit. I personally found making Cloud into a depressed, broken man who felt like he let his friends die, and not allowing Zack and Aerith to stay together in the realm of the living, as very miserable story. I also like how they changed Sephiroth's rivalry with Cloud into a more...well for a lack of a better way to explain it, Sephiroth seemed more like the Joker to Cloud's Batman. I personally love how we get to make our own fate this time around. But that's just me.

The player is not really making their own fate, though. The choice is still being made by the author alone. This time, the choice is to pander to fans of the original who could not let the sacrificial lamb/lion characters go even though their significance to the plot is truly defined by their heroic sacrifice. 

It reduces the value of the FF7 remake as a stand-alone work greatly.

If one wants an RPG in which one can determine their own fate, there is Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord.

5 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

The player is not really making their own fate, though. The choice is still being made by the author alone. This time, the choice is to pander to fans of the original who could not let the sacrificial lamb/lion characters go even though their significance to the plot is truly defined by their heroic sacrifice. 

It reduces the value of the FF7 remake as a stand-alone work greatly.

If one wants an RPG in which one can determine their own fate, there is Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord.

Those are two totally different games in almost every aspect though. And honestly every game you play choices are made by the author alone. Literally every single one. You are limited to what is incorporated into the game itself. And maybe some of us hate bittersweet endings. Life gives us enough crap to deal with as it is. It's a noble sacrifice to be sure, but a sacrifice all the same. And maybe what we're dealing with is pure conjecture so it might not matter anyway. Maybe Zack still dies but in a different way, same with Aerith. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i underestimated my own skills. Doom Eternal on Ultra-Violence on Extra Life Mode, finished with 18 lives.

Played that mode first on Hurt Me Plenty and finished with over 38 :classic_laugh:

I doubt i'll try it on Nightmare, it's just such touch-and-go on that difficulty, especially the first phase of the final boss is full of surprise fisting. And obviously no chance at Ultra Nightmare. So, i think i'm done with Eternal until the DLC hits. Which means that i again need to figure out what i'm going to play next. What a pain.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:10 PM, ToJKa said:

I doubt i'll try it on Nightmare

When I was much younger, playing games on the hardest difficulties was a no-brainer. Many reloads, trial and error, plus with fewer games of a higher quality available, spending a lot of time on a single title was normal. Now that I'm older (quite) and the number of games which interest me have grown exponentially, I'm more interested in coasting through - looking at all the shiny things, enjoying the story, and moving on. Repeat visits are possible if the game was good, can be completed without ALL the side quests and fluff, as well as a new game plus which I've become a huge fan of.

Basically - I did it your way, now I can do it my way. 

18 hours ago, landess said:

When I was much younger, playing games on the hardest difficulties was a no-brainer.

Mostly i have been always happy with the "normal" difficulty. Some games that i really like playing i replay on harder difficulties, though usually that is a worse experience since usually "difficulty" is done by increasing damage enemies do, and reducing damage you do.

In case of Eternal i really played it on Nightmare just to see if it really was a test of patience due to the infinite resources mechanics. And yes, it was ?

Couple of friends roped me into Destiny 2. Good game, but not great and definetly not outstanding. Still a good way to burn a few hours with friends, especially if you get into the more difficult content.

Other than that, I'm currently on my first complete playthrough of Fallout 4 since I finally found a somewhat stable mod setup. Only crashes are fast travel related and inconsistent (probably tied to a bug currently being investigated by kinggath). So I think I'll finally play through all DLC, finish those companions I could never be bothered with and then sink my Load Order with mods that I want to try out afterwards.

After that, I think I'll do another XCOM 2 Wotc Legend playthrough. Don't think it'll be Ironman though. Still too many bugs and crashes, and with the start of the game being infuriating with the game's hit chances of rookies...

Loaded up with around 360ish mods (substract 140 audio-visual mods, 60 or so fixes since there's no consistent community patch that fixes all bugs like in beth games), the rest stuff to alter / enhance gameplay - difficulty. As for XCOM -> #sufferingisfun.

• 2 weeks later...