"What are you playing" thread

I am playing the RE3 demo...within an RE3 advertisement?

20200319185345_1.thumb.jpg.cafc0fc77eb61053a87ec4ac19fd4c16.jpg

That is, when not giving Trials of Mana's demo a go. I haven't played Seiken Densetsu 3 since the turn-of-the century so it might be interesting to see if modern Square-Enix can avoid screwing up the remake somehow. Well, I can say that they haven't ruined the original character designs, at least.

20200319173016_1.jpg.c9b176bf55c241c38e2aa59f20917eb4.jpg

Try-Before-You-Buy is definitely going to be a must even more than before for many people during these coming weeks.

1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

That is, when not giving Trials of Mana's demo a go. I haven't played Seiken Densetsu 3 since the turn-of-the century so it might be interesting to see if modern Square-Enix can avoid screwing up the remake somehow. Well, I can say that they haven't ruined the original character designs, at least.

Looking forward to giving picking that one up. I'm glad it managed to slip past the radar of Square's recently added censorshi- *cough* I mean "ethics and culture" board. I guess they were to busy fucking over the FF7 character designs to notice.

Shame RE3 wasn't so lucky. I'm a big fan of Jill's original outfit and couldn't care less if its "unrealistic" (as if that was the actual motive for those prudes changing it. Who are they bullshitting?).

14 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Figures Doom 2016 was a fluke. Should know after getting to this age that you just can't have nice things. And if you do, boy, you'll be paying for it for the rest of your life.

Funny, almost 30 years later I still get so much mileage out of the original DOOM I can't be bothered to try the recent ones. Both the vanilla game and so many mods/source ports due to the original ID team having been generous enough to release all the source code info it might never run out of content. 

15 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Figures Doom 2016 was a fluke. Should know after getting to this age that you just can't have nice things. And if you do, boy, you'll be paying for it for the rest of your life.

Try using a weapon other than the SSG for everything, cause that shit is over.

4 hours ago, 27X said:

Try using a weapon other than the SSG for everything, cause that shit is over.

Never was a fan of that. For me it's basic shotgun all the way :cool:

But seriously, they added too much. Juggling meat demons for ammo, armor and health with gadgets with cooldowns, blood punch (whatever that even does, except remove armor from Cyber Mancubus), dash that is constantly cooling down, while trying to hit demons that matter in their weakspots with a gun that is probably out of ammo.

I know how to play it, it's just tedious. In Doom '16 it was "A battle arena, let's do this!", in Eternal it's "not this shit again" :classic_sad:

5 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Funny, almost 30 years later I still get so much mileage out of the original DOOM I can't be bothered to try the recent ones. Both the vanilla game and so many mods/source ports due to the original ID team having been generous enough to release all the source code info it might never run out of content. 

Yeah, i still regularly play classic Doom too. That and 16 really were... perfect in their simplicity. Which is why i rarely use gameplay changing mods with classic Doom :classic_happy:

I guess the only Eternal for me continues to be Eternal Doom ?

1 hour ago, ToJKa said:

(whatever that even does, except remove armor from Cyber Mancubus),

It's an AoE that does a flat 800 damage and strips protection.

1 hour ago, ToJKa said:

gun that is probably out of ammo.

Chainsaw is literally the first thing you get.

1 hour ago, 27X said:

It's an AoE that does a flat 800 damage and strips protection.

Chainsaw is literally the first thing you get.

Cool.

Yes, and then we return to the "juggling meat demons for ammo, armor and health with gadgets with cooldowns" part.

6 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Yeah, i still regularly play classic Doom too. That and 16 really were... perfect in their simplicity. Which is why i rarely use gameplay changing mods with classic Doom :classic_happy:

Yep, I use a ton of mods but they tend to be things that preserve the simple, frantic tone of the vanilla game. A lot of stuff that adds new unique yet still simple minded monsters for example. I never took a liking to mods like Brutal DOOM due to all the flashy animations and fancy new gimmicks it added destroying the high speed flow of the vanilla experience. Also why I have put a lot of time into Heretic recently, since it has roughly the same feel but slightly more advanced with an alternate theme.

Nice take on the Icon of Sin on Eternal. It did grow on me, and those late game fights with several "light Cyberdemons" (Tyrants) and other big demons do get quite intense and fun. Still not a fan of the resource harvesting, but it also does mean every resource is infinite (except extra lives and BFG ammo), which allows for bigger and longer fights than the old-fashioned way.

And now i'm going back in for revenge on Ultra-violence ?

I'm about halfway through Borderlands 3, and I can't seem to get as 'into it' as BL1 and 2. I did get the full package deal at about 75% off, so I guess I'll just keep ignoring the storyline and plow through to the end. Really very happy that I can skip cutscenes, and finally can climb atop and over scenery (usually for more advantageous sniping and cover), but the game seems.....off somehow. Might be the fact that I'm more annoyed than amused at the dialogs and banter from the main NPCs and the Twins.

Right now I'm playing "Huh. I didn't remember that I had that." with my Steam backlog. Up front and center right now is Stories, a game which could have been called Beast Bastion or Beast Fable (since the developers are so fond of dropping references to other series in their work).

It definitely brings to mind some of the old Xbox Live Arcade premier games, simple bur enjoyable partly due to their responsiveness, lack of fluff or grind and great presentation through art design rather than trying to push through the largest number of polygons per second to mask general incompetence (the visual equivalent of a JJ Abrams script).

474555547_StoriesScreenshot2020_03.29-02_40_48_83.thumb.png.edf4be2386f28cb7fa09d4b0ec7d43cc.png

Spoiler

1765301849_StoriesScreenshot2020_03.29-03_00_08_33.thumb.png.7a4dcedc9980cc0dba69cc28bb21a557.png