"What are you playing" thread

Just finished the General Leo Hack for Final Fantasy 6. It was fun for what it was worth. A nice way to replay FF6 in a manner that's still mostly familiar, but with a few twists (it rebalances the difficultly slightly and changes a few other minor details besides Leo surviving).

Shame that due to the limitations of hacking an already compiled rom and the skill level of the person who made the hack Shadow ended up being demoted to a cameo to make room for Leo. Sacrificing the far more useless Umaro would not have freed up the data to make a fully realized playable version of Leo (No save ram for learning spells, no known way of disabling Umaro's AI, little dialog space freed up, etc). But I enjoyed and would recommend FF6 fans give it a try at least once.

Now I'm going to try Final Fantasy 4: Unprecedented Crisis. Stuck burning a vacation week next week and on a bit of a budget so got to find something to do during the soft quarantine.

Resident Evil 3 Remake. I'm not going to pretend I'm being objective about this game. Besides, I'm watching a favorite streamer play it and it's well worth my time and money. No clue if I'm going to bother with FF VII Remake; I just don't trust Square Enix. So I'll wait until I see some reviews from people I semi-trust.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Resident Evil 3 Remake. I'm not going to pretend I'm being objective about this game. Besides, I'm watching a favorite streamer play it and it's well worth my time and money. No clue if I'm going to bother with FF VII Remake; I just don't trust Square Enix. So I'll wait until I see some reviews from people I semi-trust.

I'll be waiting for a 50% off sale on that one, just like I did with the RE2 remake. Plus more character mods will be available at that point anyways.

EDIT: Wait... those asshats censored Jill's classic costume into a pair of skorts!? As silly as it sounds on paper the folks claiming they should be charged with false advertising have a point. #NeverPreorder indeed....

Trials of Mana is about the only thing Square Enix is releasing that I have any interest in anytime soon. Even that I'll be waiting a day to see what the user reviews say. I'm actually thinking of using my vacation time next week to start work on a 16-bit era FF style RPG. I already have a lot of the base structures coded from previous scrapped projects so could be fun.

17 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

EDIT: Wait... those asshats censored Jill's classic costume into a pair of shorts!? As silly as it sounds on paper the folks claiming they should be charged with false advertising have a point. #NeverPreorder indeed....

Yeah, I saw that tweet/video. I honestly wouldn't have noticed. Nor do I care that much about the change itself. But folks have a point when they bring up the "slippery slope" argument over censorship and the gaslighting SJWs are already pulling to try and counter said argument. Makes me wonder if I could get away with trying to have the Supreme Court ban the Bible under SJWs' own logic (incest, murder, genocide, naked attractive women performing for men...). Let's just take things to their logical extreme and be done with it.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Yeah, I saw that tweet/video. I honestly wouldn't have noticed. Nor do I care that much about the change itself. But folks have a point when they bring up the "slippery slope" argument over censorship and the gaslighting SJWs are already pulling to try and counter said argument. Makes me wonder if I could get away with trying to have the Supreme Court ban the Bible under SJWs' own logic (incest, murder, genocide, naked attractive women performing for men...). Let's just take things to their logical extreme and be done with it.

Part of it is they failed to deliver what they were promising. The people who preordered the game because they wanted that costume were assuming the risks of preordering under the promise they would get an accurate recreation of her original costume. Not some virtual-signaling schmuck's "practical re-imagining" of the costume.

If I preorder a game under the promise I'll get a He-Man costume I expect to play the game prancing around in a shaggy loincloth, not an altered version in pants because "Well we changed it because a couple of busybodies tweeted that they think putting a fictional man in a loincloth is offensive.... no wait.... because it would be more 'realistic'. Yeah, that's it, has nothing to do with pandering to censorship mongers at all...".

Of course I would never preorder a game ever again because of the many examples such as this that keep piling up, but that is besides the point.

15 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Of course I would never preorder a game ever again because of the many examples such as this that keep piling up, but that is besides the point.

That's true. I learned my lesson with FO4 about pre-ordering. And Capcom can't stop modders who've already re-created the original costume with an actual skirt. For free! Sort of makes their pre-order bonuses and DLC pointless.

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

And Capcom can't stop modders who've already re-created the original costume with an actual skirt.

Sadly they could if they really wanted to. Thankfully one positive thing that can be said about Capcom is they are one of the most laid back corporate gaming devs when it comes modding or fan game of their properties. They usually don't seem to mind.

NRS on the other hand used the same engine to build their recently Mortal Kombat/Injustice games as Capcom has used with their RE remakes. And they have gone of their way to insert barriers to sabotage anyone trying to mod their games. Such using a proprietary model format and adding bootup checksums to check if any asset files have been altered. So if Capcom wanted to be dickheads to the modding community they could.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Makes me wonder if I could get away with trying to have the Supreme Court ban the Bible under SJWs' own logic (incest, murder, genocide, naked attractive women performing for men...).

Well the SJWs would like that. They would eagerly encourage it. On the other hand if the Supreme Court tried to ban the Koran for containing the exact same breed of bullshit the SJWs would lose their minds....

47 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

Sadly they could if they really wanted to. Thankfully one positive thing that can be said about Capcom is they are one of the most laid back corporate gaming devs when it comes modding or fan game of their properties. They usually don't seem to mind.

NRS on the other hand used the same engine to build their recently Mortal Kombat/Injustice games as Capcom has used with their RE remakes. And they have gone of their way to insert barriers to sabotage anyone trying to mod their games. Such using a proprietary model format and adding bootup checksums to check if any asset files have been altered. So if Capcom wanted to be dickheads to the modding community they could.

Well the SJWs would like that. They would eagerly encourage it. On the other hand if the Supreme Court tried to ban the Koran for containing the exact same breed of bullshit the SJWs would lose their minds....

MKB is unreal 3. REM is its own thing. Not even kind of the same.

3 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Well the SJWs would like that.

Yes, and piss off everyone else. Which is exactly the point: build up enough outright fury against them that people start taking more direct action against SJWs and make the normies realize just how far censorship can go. Sometimes you have to hit people over the head with reality before they finally understand the true consequences of their (in)actions.

3 hours ago, 27X said:

MKB is unreal 3. REM is its own thing. Not even kind of the same.

Bleh, could have sworn the RE remakes where made with the Unreal Engine. Must have confused them with something else. Guess Unreal is so commonly used its easy to get things mixed up.

3 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Bleh, could have sworn the RE remakes where made with the Unreal Engine. Must have confused them with something else. Guess Unreal is so commonly used its easy to get things mixed up.

If the REmakes were done using Unreal Engine 4, then it would have been as easy to add new mods as dropping mod packages into the ~mods folder rather than relying on the Fluffy Quack Manager.

I suppose that I've been so obsessed with Earth Defense Force Iron Rain since everyone is so preoccupied with avoiding a dangerous alien bug of late that I couldn't resist the prospect of going bug hunting. That and the whole felid persona thing.

20200406165341_1.thumb.jpg.4e6d4473db83331f47c1bfc47b35649f.jpg

20200406143356_1.thumb.jpg.a3d3f42d3d0f413c861cf8a598cf96fc.jpg

20200406171747_1.thumb.jpg.5d6d67b757ef88260b9618dc690ef691.jpg

There is a surprising amount of robot wrecking in this bug hunt. Maybe it is because robots can be said to have an exoskeleton?

Spoiler

20200406141331_1.thumb.jpg.a6b45420136dd5ec2421479745d926be.jpg20200406175716_1.thumb.jpg.feef4617da076345995f1c8d7cd3e99f.jpg20200406165851_1.thumb.jpg.1039f378b30d3242fd316ea4626d5d05.jpg

I've gone back to playing RE 2 Remake because 3 is okay after beating it two times but it gets horribly repetitive and just isn't as good as the original. There's a serious lack of puzzles and the the game itself is short. I agree with folks who call it "DLC" rather than a true game. I'm sure it'll get expansions from actual DLC but I'm not buying any until it's bundled and sold for a lot less than it'll be initially sold for. Hell, I might even go back to FF XV just because I never really played past a certain point.

One game I'm not buying--at least for now--is FF VII Remake. The size of the download alone--98 GB!--would take me hours thanks to this POS connection. And like I said before, I just don't trust Enix so I'm waiting for user reviews. Games urinalists and their rags...I really don't have any respect for them anymore.

I just finished the FF7 remake last night. I loved FF7 as a kid and couldn't wait for the remake. Love the graphics, gameplay was nice. This game is conflicting. On 1 hand, I love the gameplay, the graphics. The other, well its in a spoiler below to not ruin it but for me it ruined the game and the feeling I had playing it to the point were I really dont wanna go back and play through it.

Few smaller complaints.

Few sections felt like padding. Underplate and Hojos lab. Corneo coliseum.

The stagger system is a headache sometimes, especially boss fights. Feels like allot of trial/error. Get your materia right and its hard. Get it wrong and its allmost impossible.

Now for the big complaint.

SPOILER. You have been warned

Spoiler

That ending is just a giant fucking slap across the face for fans of the original.

You have to fight destiny to stop the original game happening so you can have a new adventure. During the boss fight you see snippets of the original game. Red 13 running through the canyon, Aeris dieing, Meteor. All explained by this is what will happen if we fail to beat destiny.

Zack is alive having survived his last stand against Shinra. Game makes no attempt to explain to new players who Zack is btw so new players to the series are gonna be pretty confused who he is.

13 minutes ago, Cozza said:

I just finished the FF7 remake last night. I loved FF7 as a kid and couldn't wait for the remake. Love the graphics, gameplay was nice. This game is conflicting. On 1 hand, I love the gameplay, the graphics. The other, well its in a spoiler below to not ruin it but for me it ruined the game and the feeling I had playing it to the point were I really dont wanna go back and play through it.

Few smaller complaints.

Few sections felt like padding. Underplate and Hojos lab. Corneo coliseum.

The stagger system is a headache sometimes, especially boss fights. Feels like allot of trial/error. Get your materia right and its hard. Get it wrong and its allmost impossible.

Now for the big complaint.

SPOILER. You have been warned

Hide contents

That ending is just a giant fucking slap across the face for fans of the original.

You have to fight destiny to stop the original game happening so you can have a new adventure. During the boss fight you see snippets of the original game. Red 13 running through the canyon, Aeris dieing, Meteor. All explained by this is what will happen if we fail to beat destiny.

Zack is alive having survived his last stand against Shinra. Game makes no attempt to explain to new players who Zack is btw so new players to the series are gonna be pretty confused who he is.

You are not alone in not automatically accepting any perceived flaws in the remake even if it might seem like it when one looks to games journalists and 'alternative media influencers', many of whom are just games journalists with less accountability. 

Spoiler

I just finished the Unprecedented Crisis hack for Final Fantasy 4. It had some rough edges, being a rom hack and all. And the final showdown felt a bit rushed. But other than that I really enjoyed. I recommend it to anyone who would want to try an alternate take on one of 16bit era Final Fantasy games.

Been watching a roommate play the FFVII remake. A lot better than the early perceptions I had gotten from it. Though trying to pass off the game's easy mode as a "classic mode" is a bit insulting to fans of the older games. Traditional turn based combat =/= an action game placed on nerfed autopilot.

Also: is Cloud saving himself for marriage or something? I mean being a brooding badboy can only explain away so much....

4 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

I just finished the Unprecedented Crisis hack for Final Fantasy 4. It had some rough edges, being a rom hack and all. And the final showdown felt a bit rushed. But other than that I really enjoyed. I recommend it to anyone who would want to try an alternate take on one of 16bit era Final Fantasy games.

Been watching a roommate play the FFVII remake. A lot better than the early perceptions I had gotten from it. Though trying to pass off the game's easy mode as a "classic mode" is a bit insulting to fans of the older games. Traditional turn based combat =/= an action game placed on nerfed autopilot.

Also: is Cloud saving himself for marriage or something? I mean being a brooding badboy can only explain away so much....

Is is likely Cloud's fate to be alone until the designated hour. That or he is saving himself for someone named Fate. Well, that is the impression that I got from seeing live streams of the Final Fantasy 7 re-imagining/re-write/re-boot.

I just picked up No Man's Sky on sale over a week ago.

Go Ahead - Laugh

Are you done now?  :) 

I have had more fun with this than I could of imagined. In a nutshell, It's a cross between Star Wars Galaxies and Planetbase. I spent about 20 hours fumbling and bumbling. Then I found a good guide to make credits, and after 2 days had over a billion! Now I run around shopping for the best ships in the style I want. I visit extreme planets with gear that keeps me alive easily. I can buy, see, do, whatever I want. Yep - having fun......

Spoiler

20200414124117_1.jpg.00778fcfc5f50ef7b59f8759f5e78411.jpg20200415053753_1.jpg.c240ebfb12969affef04d5cc809b6311.jpg

Yes, the wings fold up to land.

4 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

What is harder to find is a planet without hostile fauna/sentinels and earth-like colors

Actually there is one in my starting system, but I played on a frozen world (starter) too long while figuring things out. Once I got my space legs and decided to explore the local system, I was slapping myself in the head for waiting.

So it's my home base: low Sentinel (only around certain buildings), no predators, and it's just pleasant to be on - no storms/etc. It's biome is listed as lush with some kinda heat style storms, but there are none. I built my little base on a plateau for a great view.

Spoiler

20200414123524_1.jpg.e3c4d8febc1927d0e46f2101fd076959.jpg

Been busy making my way towards the center the old fashion way without using portals or black holes. Now that I've just about maxed the distance (just under 2400 LY per jump/600% fuel efficiency) on this ship, I've been running about 100k LY per session. I'll eventually hook up with the Eden's Gate community and likely park it there.

Following the instructions from this site https://www.requnix.com/the-complete-no-mans-sky-beyond-guide I also Maxed out my exosuit inventory as well as spent a lot on this ship. Max tech slots and pushing the last row (I believe) of storage. Once the slots became 250 million, I decided to wait on the storage upgrade loot (crashed freighter and frigate missions).

I've been playing Final Fantasy VII remake and I am really enjoying it, I think they did a really good job imo. I beat it but now just got to wait for the next installment which would be disk 2. 

Now that I'm done with Final Fantasy VII remake I started playing the new God of War and I'm enjoying it

16 hours ago, Hiderius said:

I've been playing Final Fantasy VII remake and I am really enjoying it, I think they did a really good job imo. I beat it but now just got to wait for the next installment which would be disk 2. 

Didn't play it but it was fun to watch my roommate play it. Kind makes me want to see a similar remake of Final Fantasy 6. FF4 and FF5 are my favorites but I don't think their plots would be as good of a fit for such an adaption. Just drop the console exclusive shtick. I'm not getting a PS5 or whatever the heck Microsoft is getting ready to slap the XBox label on next.

Just finished it myself too. Great job, though i wonder about that Destiny bullshit. Was that there just to have an asspull giant boss at the end, or does it mean that now that Destiny is broken (or something? :classic_confused:) it's gives Squeenix an excuse to make the rest of the story not follow the original game?

The sidequests were perhaps little too much like filler, but at least it gave an excuse to fight a Behemoth.

Well whatever, enjoyed it regarless and would be happy if more parts never happen. And hoping for PC version with improved visuals. Not that those harmed the experience, but better is better.

Music was awesome.