Skyrim Anniversary Edition - issues for SE users?

On 10/29/2021 at 6:16 AM, YojimboRatchet said:

regarding the new Skyrim update coming soon, this one might be worth keeping an eye on for now. It's a patch to revert from the new updated version to the older SE version, once the update is released.

Unofficial Skyrim SE Downgrade Patch

It is hidden and it says something about "Placeholders or non-functional files are not allowed on mod pages"

11 hours ago, PerFylk said:

Should i update SKSE or not. Nexus mod manager says there's an update

There are 3 versions of SKSE64 that work with SSE v1.5.97 (the current game): 2.00.17, 2.00.19 and 2.00.20. Since 2.00.17 was the first release for SSE 1.5.97, most mod authors updated their mods for it.

There have been issues reported with Racemenu and some SexLab-dependent mods relating to the last 2 releases of SKSE64- 2.00.19 and 2.00.20. Other people report that those 2 releases work fine in their games. I believe that the different outcomes are down to some SKSE-dependent mod authors whose mods are not set up to use the Address Library and who have not updated their mods for those two SKSE64 releases.

In my case, I can't even launch the game with SKSE64 2.00.19 installed, but everything plays just great with 2.00.17 and the Address Library. I haven't bothered to try SKSE64 2.00.20.

My point is this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is no rush to update SKSE64- all older versions are still available on the website. If your current setup is working, there is no pressing need for you to update SKSE. Block Steam updates to be safe and continue to enjoy your game.

Once SAE is released and a new version of SKSE64 is released for it, and the SKSE-dependent mods you use have been updated as required, everybody will eventually have to bite the bullet and update the game and SKSE at the same time because there will be shinies! (new mods that won't work with SSE 1.5.97.)

8 hours ago, Hiderius said:
On 10/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, YojimboRatchet said:

regarding the new Skyrim update coming soon, this one might be worth keeping an eye on for now. It's a patch to revert from the new updated version to the older SE version, once the update is released. Unofficial Skyrim SE Downgrade Patch

It is hidden and it says something about "Placeholders or non-functional files are not allowed on mod pages"

Interestingly, it was hidden by Pickysaurus, the Nexus "Community Manager," not by its author.

I saw that. I assume given the message on the mod page, that once AE is released, it will be unhidden at that time.

I do have one question though, which I have seen mentioned at all. With all the talk about AE breaking things.... what will happen to CK and CAO ? If those are updated to reflect the new AE version, converting LE to SE, or even creating new mods might also be problematic. I can see this becoming a major disaster if they are updated...

2 hours ago, YojimboRatchet said:

CAO

it's a program, not a plugin, it will not be effected at all, it does not even look at skyrim's exe let alone use it.

fnis on the other hand may or may not have one issue:

....i wonder if fnis will have any problems detecting the new exe. it would be real annoying if it just starts showing "skyrim ???.???" even when it's installed correctly.

helping people troubleshot would become more of a bitch than normal if so.

Edited by MadMansGun

10 hours ago, Darkklawd said:

Well this is depressing news.... 

Firstly, the latest non-hysterical intel seems to be that the AE will be a voluntary "update." If you don't opt in, neither SSE nor any of its currently-working mods, including FNIS, will opt out on you.

Secondly, it's easy enough to simply back up your SSE folder and block Steam auto-updates. As a last resort, take Steam offline, and as a post-apocalyptic recovery measure :classic_ohmy: unplug your router. One way or another, WE are in control of our games, mods and computers. Unless, of course, we are running Windows 10/11, in which case Microsoft controls our computers.

TL;DR: We can play our current SSE game setups literally forever, or until there is no longer an OS capable of supporting SSE 1.5.97- which will probably be a really long time... people are still playing 1990-era games via DOS emulators or whatever. The sky is not falling.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:51 AM, Vyxenne said:

There are 3 versions of SKSE64 that work with SSE v1.5.97 (the current game): 2.00.17, 2.00.19 and 2.00.20. Since 2.00.17 was the first release for SSE 1.5.97, most mod authors updated their mods for it.

There have been issues reported with Racemenu and some SexLab-dependent mods relating to the last 2 releases of SKSE64- 2.00.19 and 2.00.20. Other people report that those 2 releases work fine in their games. I believe that the different outcomes are down to some SKSE-dependent mod authors whose mods are not set up to use the Address Library and who have not updated their mods for those two SKSE64 releases.

In my case, I can't even launch the game with SKSE64 2.00.19 installed, but everything plays just great with 2.00.17 and the Address Library. I haven't bothered to try SKSE64 2.00.20.

My point is this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is no rush to update SKSE64- all older versions are still available on the website. If your current setup is working, there is no pressing need for you to update SKSE. Block Steam updates to be safe and continue to enjoy your game.

Once SAE is released and a new version of SKSE64 is released for it, and the SKSE-dependent mods you use have been updated as required, everybody will eventually have to bite the bullet and update the game and SKSE at the same time because there will be shinies! (new mods that won't work with SSE 1.5.97.)

Ok, thanks for the good answer. I just leave it be as it is for now, until i want to try mods that requires skse64

20 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

it's a program, not a plugin, it will not be effected at all, it does not even look at skyrim's exe let alone use it.

No, I understand that, but we still don't know to what extent Bethesda has messed with things as of yet. Since we use CAO to convert various content, I am more concerned with things somehow changing to be compatible to work on both SE and AE version when converting, or will there be some type of discrepancy between them where we'd end up having a CAO SE version and a CAO AE version.

20 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

fnis on the other hand...

Yeah.. I see that. But using this logic, any app which "looks for" the game / SKSE versions, will also fall into this category..

Man, this damn AE update is giving me a headache now on just the speculation and the unknown impacts ..

I'd like to get some advice on recovering SSE  1.5.97.  My potato PC  hard disk lost HDD operating system sectors 12 Sep and I ordered a new PC 14 Sep.  It arrives 14 Nov. I'm able to read the contents of the old PC and can recover the following files:

• SkyrimSE.exe

• binkw64.dll

• Data/Skyrim.esm

• Data/Update.esm

• Data/Skyrim - Interface.bsa

• Data/Skyrim - Misc.bsa

• Data/Skyrim - Patch.bsa

I plan on reinstalling SSE through Steam (not AE).

1.  Start SSE to get the ini.

2.  Load MO2

3.  Set SSE to not update through Steam.

4.  Replace the above files.

Not so sure about binkw64.dll, I think it's from a dll loader and Engine Fixes replaced it.

5. Install SKSE64 2.00.17

6. Test SSE through SKSE.

7. Start modding.

Think this plan will work?  Do you see any changes I should make? Chances of success? Don't bother until mods are updated?

Before it went off track, the kinda dramatically named thread 11 11... 2021... Skyrim Doomsday !

Had a good suggestion from spoonsinger for preventing steam updating skyrim if you make the mistake of opening steam in online mode/trying to open via a mod manager before loading steam

On 11/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, spoonsinger said:

Just to note under the new steam download page the 'Missing file privileges' message is now a more scary 'DISK WRITE ERROR' message. However still the best way of stopping Steam updating something you don't want updated. eg :-

image.png.ef5853cf1646aa2ead632eec174bfce6.png

Since from what it says having the manifest as read only will stop steam doing the update

12 hours ago, remodel said:

I'd like to get some advice on recovering SSE  1.5.97. 

I don't know about the plan you posted, I cannot say yes or no regarding that. 

But for recovering, an older version of Skyrim there was a post here about using Steam Console to do it.  I have not tried it but worth taking a look at it if you need an older version downloaded through Steam:

Skyrim AE has its own Steam page and is listed as a DLC.

User tags:

RPG, Capitalism, Psychological horror

Edited by belegost

So, anyone having issues? Just backed up my Skyrim SE folder... launched via SKSE and everything seems to be working fine.

But the menu screen did mention the update and 10 year anniversary so I think my game has been updated? I have auto updates in Steam disabled. Do we need to download a new SKSE eventually?

open your folder  ....../steamapps

make a backup of appmanifest_489830.acf

open the file appmanifest_489830.acf with editor

change line to this: (sets updated)

"StateFlags"        "4"

set this file read only (right click file, properties)

On 10/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, Randamaster said:

disable the updates isn't really an option forever I think

Actually, it can be if you want it to be. The only reason you would need to update your perfectly-running game is if a new mod (or a new feature in an existing mod) is released only for AE users and you just have to have it. I played SSE 1.5.23/SKSE64 2.00.06 for many, many months (almost 2 years iirc), watching all the Crapware Club updates come and go and commiserating with all the ppl who allowed Steam to update their games...

1 hour ago, Tlam99 said:

open your folder  ....../steamapps

make a backup of appmanifest_489830.acf

open the file appmanifest_489830.acf with editor

change line to this: (sets updated)

"StateFlags"        "4"

set this file read only (right click file, properties)

Mine was already set to "4", and i haven't opened my game in like 2 weeks.

To anyone (like me) who didn't stop the update beforehand, i found a video helping me to revert to the previous version (1.5.97) and it works now again

Spoiler

Note that i had to change the command from "depotdownlaod.bat" into "depotdownload.exe" but there is also a comment in the comment section, which explains this