Skyrim Anniversary Edition - issues for SE users?

5 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

All the reports of Steam violating its own d/l instructions are down to users mistakenly invoking the Steam Launcher by not making sure Steam is already running when they hit their skse64_loader.exe shortcut. When they do that, the skse loader tries to launch skse >> SSE but can't b/c Steam must be running to launch SSE even if you are not launching it via Steam. So the skse loader "spends itself" launching Steam, which wrests control from the skse launcher and invokes its own SSE launcher, which of course is a "I launched the game" event and we're off to the races.

I have been playing Dodgeball with Steam for 2+ years, watching it wreak havoc (not Havok) with everyone's games while happily blocking updates by use of the "Update only when I launch the game" setting. In all that time, through all of those game-breaking Crapware Club updates, Steam has never once updated the game unless I allowed it, including the one time I inadvertently "allowed it" by not running Steam before hitting skse64_loader.exe.

TL; DR: Steam will not violate its own "Update only when I launch the game" setting unless the user forces it to do so by screwing up their game launch procedure.

That's not what happened to me. I always make sure Steam is running before launching the Skyrim SKSE shortcut. In this case, I launched Nexus Mod Manager to install a mod and it automatically booted Steam and proceeded to start the update download. So I just wanted to warn people that NMM can inadvertently update your game. Steam was not running when I launched NMM. 

15 hours ago, OfDoor13 said:

I launched Nexus Mod Manager to install a mod and it automatically booted Steam and proceeded to start the update download. So I just wanted to warn people that NMM can inadvertently update your game.

Well, that's unexpected! Thanks for that update, it's very weird. Have you tried launching Steam and then installing a mod via NMM? Does it try to update your game when you do that?

On 12/4/2021 at 2:06 AM, OfDoor13 said:

That's not what happened to me. I always make sure Steam is running before launching the Skyrim SKSE shortcut. In this case, I launched Nexus Mod Manager to install a mod and it automatically booted Steam and proceeded to start the update download. So I just wanted to warn people that NMM can inadvertently update your game. Steam was not running when I launched NMM. 

I was already logged in on MO2 and it made me update even though I canceled and closed steam via TM. Touché, Todd.

Edit: Found my old backup! 

Edited by BakunyuuWaifu
On 11/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, NobleSy said:

For anyone who wants to stick with SE and prevent it from updating to AE while still having Steam in online mode, navigate to the file ~\SteamLibrary\steamapps\appmanifest_489830.acf >Properties >Toggle on the Read-Only Attribute. If you're already on AE, use the downgrading patcher to downgrade and then make the acf file read-only.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:42 PM, OfDoor13 said:

Gonna try this!

Did this work for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone having a rel 567 issue? Something bout relocation 567. I've tried updating skse,64, skyrim se to ae- but nothing works. Just fresh reinstall at this point? And I delete the steam folder to start 100% from scratch? Please help. Email crystalfalls1987@gmail.com. I don't usually check this, but I will be.  

I thought it was over. Initial update was forced onto me in november, I was under the impression you would have to BUY the game to get it, not that it would be shoved down your throat. I used the downgrade patch to roll it back to special edition and went along my merry way. 

Apparently something happened yesterday, and even people who turned off updates got hit by this. I'm back to having the same problem, where the game has updated without my wanting it to and now I can't even turn on the game through vortex-- please don't tell me "lol vortex", don't be that smug c*nt that looks down on people who use different programs. 

I'm gonna be watching this thread for any kind of answer, I just want to be able to turn on the game and play it without losing all of the mods I've put on it over the past year. 

12 hours ago, roulk said:

please don't tell me "lol vortex"

It's got nothing to do with Vortex (or MO2 or whatever)- the game updated again on 13 December. And it will continue to happen to you over and over and over unless you block updates. I did it by renaming/hiding the acf file (..\Steam\SteamApps\appmanifest_489830.acf) and so far it's holding off the updates, but I have no doubt that MS+Steam will sooner or later fix that loophole just as they have nullified the "update this game only when I launch it" setting, so I'm keeping my game backups current every night.

Edited by Vyxenne

As @Vyxenne said, Steam will always try and update the file.  There's no avoiding this, just solutions to counter act it.  Backup files, change file names, or other things...but Steam will, by default, always try and (eventually) update you to the latest version.

It's hit me twice.  I have a backup Skyrim file folder on my computer.  Copy/Paste and done in 30 seconds or less. 

On 12/3/2021 at 10:37 PM, Vyxenne said:

All the reports of Steam violating its own d/l instructions are down to users mistakenly invoking the Steam Launcher by not making sure Steam is already running when they hit their skse64_loader.exe shortcut. When they do that, the skse loader tries to launch skse >> SSE but can't b/c Steam must be running to launch SSE even if you are not launching it via Steam. So the skse loader "spends itself" launching Steam, which wrests control from the skse launcher and invokes its own SSE launcher, which of course is a "I launched the game" event and we're off to the races.

I have been playing Dodgeball with Steam for 2+ years, watching it wreak havoc (not Havok) with everyone's games while happily blocking updates by use of the "Update only when I launch the game" setting. In all that time, through all of those game-breaking Crapware Club updates, Steam has never once updated the game unless I allowed it, including the one time I inadvertently "allowed it" by not running Steam before hitting skse64_loader.exe.

TL; DR: Steam will not violate its own "Update only when I launch the game" setting unless the user forces it to do so by screwing up their game launch procedure.

Yes, I know it's bad taste to back-quote and respond to myself, but this is important enough that I wanted to make sure it gets a "bump" and not just an unannounced, unseen edit.

3 days ago, I discovered that Steam has changed its client (on my machine, at least) in such a way that it no longer allows "Update this game only when I launch it" to be set for Skyrim Special Edition. I can select it, but when I exit the settings and then go right back and look, it has reset itself to "Always keep this game updated." :classic_angry:

This may (or may not) be due to the fact that I have also renamed appmanifest_489830.acf, basically telling Steam that SSE is not installed on my machine, as a further block to Steam shoving an update up my Todd. But in good faith, and in the interest of "full disclosure" even when I may be wrong, I have to amend my previous statements (quoted above) to admit the possibility that Steam may, in fact, be ignoring (or preventing) the restrictive update settings on SSE as some ppl have alleged.

Edited by Vyxenne
Because she has a sexy Todd
1 hour ago, Vyxenne said:

days ago, I discovered that Steam has

Thats true, it tried to download.

Before starting steam, I wait until my firewall is up. Coincidentally 3 days ago I started steam before.

It updated the app and a message popped up 250gb discspace needed with ok or cancel. (because my install disc has only 20gb left I got this option)

Cancel for sure. I got a strange feeling and rename my skyrim se folder to scrap (I got a second install named skyrim se ae)

Restarted steam, firewall was up now, everything fine.  Rename scrap back to Skyrim SE, start MO, all mods deactivated !

Why ? Check game path in MO, this was set to my dummy install ! Steam reseted my install to the dummy because of the name 

and provided this path to MO. The profile was gone, need to restore this from my backup.

My appmanifest is renamed and write protected, this was/is not enough ! Steam apparently uses the path settings in gamelibrary manifest, too.

Seems they make every efford to sneak in to force the update. 

Now I doublecheck always if the firewall blocked the steam.exe

My problem is that I can't block Steam in my firewall because one of the other games I play will not even start if Steam is not only running but online and connected. I think the reason is because they use the Steam overlay for micro-transaction payments and they will not allow their game to start without their money-maker connected.