Skyrim Anniversary Edition - issues for SE users?

16 hours ago, Blazeit said:

or is this entirely just a background thing that will affect modding but not change the base game in any tangible way?

I think guys who know about Visual Studio Tools can better answer this, but as far as I know there are some optimizations, but I personally think they aren't so huge as to make a real performance difference.

Algorithms (the way the game was made) have a way bigger impact than any micro-optimizations compilers can do.

No amount of compiler optimizations can solve things like this.

Any engine change will break SKSE and therefore a majority of NSFW content. I don't expect so much changes that switching to it provides anything else then troubles to NSWF players.
It took ages of reverse engineering to push SKSE for SE to an almost similar level as the LE version and I think most of the SKSE grandpas has left the playground.

Edited by zaira

So far, Steam only downloaded game updates if Im online. Starting Steam in offline mode never updated any game files.

1. Make a backup of Skyrim SE instalation.

2. Have Steam in offline mode.

3. Because you want SKSE, you use skse loader and not Steam to start Skyrim

4. If something goes wrong, overwrite game files with your backup.

Having a backup is a good idea anyway.

49 minutes ago, LFkwerot said:

Just a quick question im currently in the process of getting a new pc and was going to start modding SE should i download SE now and save it on an external HDD  and just copy that over to the new pc ?

Yes. Because thats what "backup" is. You copy files into some safe location.

And don't forget to also backup whats in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My games\Skyrim Special Edition. Ini settings and game save files.

2 hours ago, Benmc20 said:

Just adjust your Steam params like this for SkyrimSE :

3c8f29d592ea70165435b7ae4485ac40.png

And, only launch your game by the SKSE_Loader.exe, you'll be fine like this (normally).

Thanks for this, it didn't occur to me that the game wouldn't start the update if I ran it with skse.

From what I've read, Beth will upgrade from Visual Studio 2015 to 2019 and because of this, regular mods *could* break as well.
Currently best to set steam to not update Skyrim and launch via skse until most if not all mods are updated. Looking forward recreating my modlist, especially with mods that are now set to hidden in the nexus.

With the removal of the 'Do not update' option, alternatively you can set Steam to Only update between the hours of ... 0.00 to 0.00 or a time that you know you have your machine switched off (like 4am) and, in theory, it shouldn't update.

I'm too inexperienced to understand the full implications of MS updating VS will have to mods/frameworks but surely they would maintain backwards compatibility. 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, zaira said:

Any engine change will break SKSE and therefore a majority of NSFW content. I don't expect so much changes that switching to it provides anything else then troubles to NSWF players.
It took ages of reverse engineering to push SKSE for SE to an almost similar level as the LE version and I think most of the SKSE grandpas has left the playground.

If it was only the NSFW content I wouldn't care THAT much (who am I kidding? I would :P), but many, MANY mods that fix so much stupid (bull)shit are based on SKSE.

Without SKSE Skyrim is just a dull and buggy mess.

And I don't think it's worth exchanging everything SKSE has brought to the game for some bullshit fishing mechanic.

I've already made a backup in case of an accidental update on my part.

I just hope that hypothetical accident wouldn't write some registry keys or something that renders Skyrim unplayable.

And I really hope that part about SKSE developers being retired is not true.

Not having SKSE around would make me totally lose all interest in Skyrim. Forever.

Edited by Papitas
On 10/18/2021 at 6:06 AM, jc321 said:

With the removal of the 'Do not update' option, alternatively you can set Steam to Only update between the hours of ... 0.00 to 0.00 or a time that you know you have your machine switched off (like 4am) and, in theory, it shouldn't update.

I'm too inexperienced to understand the full implications of MS updating VS will have to mods/frameworks but surely they would maintain backwards compatibility. 

Mine still shows do-not update, it's under properties when you right click the title. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a2855d09fd4b19d1e736c6a31da57031.png

Spoiler

image.png.2ba5002318b7ac6d43b1965b6477c849.png

1 hour ago, jaeos said:

Mine still shows do-not update, it's under properties when you right click the title. 

I might be wrong but the settings in your second picture would prevent any background updates of apps whilst your playing (which is sensible), but when you launch Skyrim it will do a check first and then update. There used to be an option to never update, I'm not sure why Steam thought that a good idea to remove :(

I still think there's a reasonably low risk of major breakage but I hope it doesn't demoralise any of our wonderful modders if it did!

1 hour ago, lrl said:

sorry ment fniss doh

@Psalammay know better than I but i believe you can run the launcher once through MO2 and not trip it. Which sets the original INI path to user profile (which i guess since they only want one person per key to sell more games...) But MO2 (even if you don't really use profiles) can set the INI inside MO2 and keep it out of the clutches of todd

Other option is set the appmanifest file to read only. Then it can't update due to file permissions.

Edited by jaeos