Skyrim Anniversary Edition - issues for SE users?

I finally have my game running without crashes and now they want to "update" it again. Damn, can you just ignore The Elder Scrolls Games in the same way then the last years, please? This is absolutly not cool at all and disable the updates isn't really an option forever I think.

I think I give it a try with the LE again, no "updates" no problems, even when it's not running perfect like the SE.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:30 AM, Randamaster said:

I finally have my game running without crashes and now they want to "update" it again. Damn, can you just ignore The Elder Scrolls Games in the same way then the last years, please? This is absolutly not cool at all and disable the updates isn't really an option forever I think.

I think I give it a try with the LE again, no "updates" no problems, even when it's not running perfect like the SE.

Just backup the game folder. I also have all my mods working also.

I'm sorry for the newb question, may I ask how do you backup Skyrim on an external Hard Drive? So far as I get ready to stop this update, I have 'update on launch only' as I launch through SKSE, I will be taking Steam Offline and to really set my mind at ease, my Gaming Computer is used for Gaming and searching Mods only and no point in searching Mods until SKSE has fixed Bethesda's unwanted drama and Mods are updated, so I will be taking my PC offline also.

I found this on steam:

"SAE will be separate title, when sold. It will not automatically overwrite SE on PC. Neither it is gained as free for PC. When purchased, SAE will replace SE. The main game will still remain the same. There will not be 2 versions of Skyrim SE. It will be same SE + updated compiler + creations added by SAE."

If this information is true, everything is fine.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/4809273833190921323/

7 hours ago, Mrs Taewa said:

I'm sorry for the newb question, may I ask how do you backup Skyrim on an external Hard Drive? So far as I get ready to stop this update, I have 'update on launch only' as I launch through SKSE, I will be taking Steam Offline and to really set my mind at ease, my Gaming Computer is used for Gaming and searching Mods only and no point in searching Mods until SKSE has fixed Bethesda's unwanted drama and Mods are updated, so I will be taking my PC offline also.

Just copy the Skyrim or Skyrim SE folder and paste it into a backup folder or mods folder (or whatever you wish to call it) on an external hard drive.  You can search online for external hard drive and most retailers with computer sections will have some external hard drives. 

Obviously there are good and bad external HDD/SSD.  I would not suggest running it from there, I think that's a bad idea for several reasons (#1 being it's your backup, you don't want touch your backup, just use it to copy and paste into the normal install folder if you get hit with the update and it messes things up). 

You do not need to have an external drive to back the game up, however.  I would only do it if you A) lack space on your primary hard drive; or B) you are planning on getting a new computer soon and it is easier for you than using a cloud service or something else to transfer files between old computer and new computer. 

So, you don't need an external HDD or SSD to back up Skyrim.  But if you need space or your current computer won't be around much longer, then sure. 

Edited by ttts1
spelling/grammar
16 hours ago, juste95 said:

Somewhere I read that it would be enough to update SKSE. So the fear of the upcoming update is supposed to be just scaremongering.

Can someone of the active modders confirm this?

8 hours ago, juste95 said:

"SAE will be separate title, when sold. It will not automatically overwrite SE on PC. Neither it is gained as free for PC. When purchased, SAE will replace SE. The main game will still remain the same. There will not be 2 versions of Skyrim SE. It will be same SE + updated compiler + creations added by SAE."

If this information is true, everything is fine.

I don't understand how people haven't figured things out yet since all the info is available from trusted sources (like Beth themselves or the SKSE devs).

"Skyrim Anniversary Edition" is a bundle pack of Skyrim Special Edition and 500 Creation Club "Items", which will cost roughly $70 regardless of whether you own SE already or not (though the price may be reduced a bit if you do own it, not sure on that) and which SE owners will not get for free. This is also the version that will be for sale on next-gen consoles aka PS5 and Xbox Series. And yes, it will not overwrite the SE store page on Steam or whatever, because it's a bundle. Just like "GOTY"/all-DLC bundles of games don't (usually) overwrite the base games' Store page.

So next gen consoles will be getting the same base game as current PCs and previous gen consoles have, with possibly a higher graphic quality preset (e.g. High or Ultra instead of Medium) than previous-gen consoles but otherwise being the same game and code under the hood.

Skyrim Special Edition itself will be getting a "standard" update for its exe on the same day Anniversary Edition goes live, as it has always happened whenever new content is added to the Creation Club store before. Said update will also make the Fishing CC free for all SE owners, alongside two other existing CC files whose name I don't remember (this is the only "free" thing current SE owners will get, all the other 500+ CC files from the AE bundle must be bought separately).

These executable updates usually only add the new CC stuff to the exe data but leave most of the code untouched. Thus, once SKSE itself updates and so does the Address Library, all SKSE DLLs and mods start working again because the strings of hex code and memory addresses they edit to do their magic are untouched, so they can still be found.

But, as it turns out, the Microsoft Store/Xbox Achievements code (required for the Xbox Series and PC M$ Store release of SE + AE) is only compatible with a newer version of Visual Studio and not the one used by Beth to compile the SE exe up until this point. The way to fix it for Beth is very simple, just grab the newest Visual Studio version and compile the new SE exe with it instead of with the old one. Ez Pz.

And here's where the real problem comes. Because a newer Visual Studio compiler means the code and memory offsets in the SE exe will be completely different and won't match what all the existing SKSE mods (and SKSE itself) are built for. The new offsets and code strings will have to be found for the data fields those mod need to edit, and DLLs will need to be re-compiled with these targets.

SKSE itself will probably be updated in a few days, as per the SKSE team themselves. But "3rd party" SKSE DLL plugins will remain broken until someone (whether the original authors or other modders that step up to the task) updates them to the new offsets and recompiles them. Which, for certain SKSE DLLs whose authors are gone from the modding scene and/or whose source code was never made public, may actually never happen.

There's also the issue of future SKSE DLLs being made for the post-AE offsets not being backwards-compatible with pre-AE unless the authors go the extra mile and actually make a specific "pre-AE" version as well, so the people that may want to stick to pre-AE to not lose not-updated mods will lock themselves out of using those post-AE mods.

The TL;DR is:

• Mods that do not rely on SKSE at all should be fine.
  • Mods that require SKSE but do NOT include DLL plugins should be fine once SKSE itself is updated.
  • Mods that require SKSE and DO include a DLL plugin will NOT work until the original authors rebuild them for the post-AE offsets (which may never happen).
6 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

I don't understand how people haven't figured things out yet since all the info is available from trusted sources (like Beth themselves or the SKSE devs).

"Skyrim Anniversary Edition" is a bundle pack of Skyrim Special Edition and 500 Creation Club "Items", which will cost roughly $70 regardless of whether you own SE already or not (though the price may be reduced a bit if you do own it, not sure on that) and which SE owners will not get for free. This is also the version that will be for sale on next-gen consoles aka PS5 and Xbox Series. And yes, it will not overwrite the SE store page on Steam or whatever, because it's a bundle. Just like "GOTY"/all-DLC bundles of games don't (usually) overwrite the base games' Store page.

So next gen consoles will be getting the same base game as current PCs and previous gen consoles have, with possibly a higher graphic quality preset (e.g. High or Ultra instead of Medium) than previous-gen consoles but otherwise being the same game and code under the hood.

Skyrim Special Edition itself will be getting a "standard" update for its exe on the same day Anniversary Edition goes live, as it has always happened whenever new content is added to the Creation Club store before. Said update will also make the Fishing CC free for all SE owners, alongside two other existing CC files whose name I don't remember (this is the only "free" thing current SE owners will get, all the other 500+ CC files from the AE bundle must be bought separately).

These executable updates usually only add the new CC stuff to the exe data but leave most of the code untouched. Thus, once SKSE itself updates and so does the Address Library, all SKSE DLLs and mods start working again because the strings of hex code and memory addresses they edit to do their magic are untouched, so they can still be found.

But, as it turns out, the Microsoft Store/Xbox Achievements code (required for the Xbox Series and PC M$ Store release of SE + AE) is only compatible with a newer version of Visual Studio and not the one used by Beth to compile the SE exe up until this point. The way to fix it for Beth is very simple, just grab the newest Visual Studio version and compile the new SE exe with it instead of with the old one. Ez Pz.

And here's where the real problem comes. Because a newer Visual Studio compiler means the code and memory offsets in the SE exe will be completely different and won't match what all the existing SKSE mods (and SKSE itself) are built for. The new offsets and code strings will have to be found for the data fields those mod need to edit, and DLLs will need to be re-compiled with these targets.

SKSE itself will probably be updated in a few days, as per the SKSE team themselves. But "3rd party" SKSE DLL plugins will remain broken until someone (whether the original authors or other modders that step up to the task) updates them to the new offsets and recompiles them. Which, for certain SKSE DLLs whose authors are gone from the modding scene and/or whose source code was never made public, may actually never happen.

There's also the issue of future SKSE DLLs being made for the post-AE offsets not being backwards-compatible with pre-AE unless the authors go the extra mile and actually make a specific "pre-AE" version as well, so the people that may want to stick to pre-AE to not lose not-updated mods will lock themselves out of using those post-AE mods.

The TL;DR is:

• Mods that require SKSE but do NOT include DLL plugins should be fine once SKSE itself is updated.
  • Mods that require SKSE and DO include a DLL plugin will NOT work until the original authors rebuild them for the post-AE offsets (which may never happen).

Thank you for the explanation.

I'm starting to hate Bethesda. I started a new playtrough with SE a few weeks ago and was happy about the stable mods and bugfixes and now nuked bethesda SE for some pay-mod content.

Content that nobody really wants.

Edited by juste95
21 hours ago, ttts1 said:

Just copy the Skyrim or Skyrim SE folder and paste it into a backup folder or mods folder (or whatever you wish to call it) on an external hard drive.  You can search online for external hard drive and most retailers with computer sections will have some external hard drives. 

Obviously there are good and bad external HDD/SSD.  I would not suggest running it from there, I think that's a bad idea for several reasons (#1 being it's your backup, you don't want touch your backup, just use it to copy and paste into the normal install folder if you get hit with the update and it messes things up). 

You do not need to have an external drive to back the game up, however.  I would only do it if you A) lack space on your primary hard drive; or B) you are planning on getting a new computer soon and it is easier for you than using a cloud service or something else to transfer files between old computer and new computer. 

So, you don't need an external HDD or SSD to back up Skyrim.  But if you need space or your current computer won't be around much longer, then sure. 

Thank you ttts :) ....I have a good external Hard Drive, I may as well use it to hold a back up. Yes, I definitely wouldn't run a game from the Hard Drive, I just want a back up in case I do something terrible Modding wise to my active Game and destroy it ?

Hello everyone.

I have seen on the IGN game site a few vids about this upcoming Skyrim Anniversary Edition and free creation content for Special Edition owners etc.

Now i am quite a way into a enjoyable modded playthrough on SE ( Special Edition). But some of this new content looks interesting. So my concerns are will any of the new content or updates just automatically update my version on Steam without any warning and very likely breaking my modded playthrough?

Also if there is free content for the SE will installing any of that break my game? For example they seem to have lots of new quests and a fishing ability etc. Looks cool but just cautious.

The Anniverary Edition ( AE) is stated as a add on to Special Edition ( SE). Curious if this is a manual choice or an automatic update. ?

6 hours ago, sophiextime said:

Not quite sure why thats a strange question. Maybe when a game auto updates on steam all mods used on a previous version are 100% totally fine and never ever go wrong, right? ( sighs)

Maybe....... Some mod trigger and outdate and Who know.A lot of ppl dislike bc.foceing up date mod unnecessary.Do u think Bethesda Dev will fix bug mod future? Ans: no way origin bug Dev never fix.Fandom help fix only.500 mods check find CTD hell.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:16 AM, Blaze69 said:

The TL;DR is:

Thank you for laying it out coherently like that.

My next question is: do we know which LL (and popular non-LL mods) require SKSE and include their own .DLL?

Because personally I'd like to understand which parts of my modlist will be fine immediately (great), which ones will be fine once SKSE itself is updated (not the biggest deal in the world), and which ones will be hooped for a longer period of time (more worrisome, but maybe not depending on what's affected).

I can also imagine that for many of us, figuring out which one of 100s of mods is the one with the broken DLL is breaking our modlist is going to be pretty annoying... so if there are methods to check or we can start a public list of "these mods are okay" or something, that'd probably be super helpful to the community.

Edited by Anunya
On 10/27/2021 at 10:24 AM, juste95 said:

Thank you for the explanation.

I'm starting to hate Bethesda. I started a new playtrough with SE a few weeks ago and was happy about the stable mods and bugfixes and now nuked bethesda SE for some pay-mod content.

Content that nobody really wants.

Just block updates. And play the game you currently have, keeping an eye on the overall situation and updating to SAE only when (if) SKSE64 and all the mods you use have been updated.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, Vyxenne said:

Just block updates. And play the game you currently have, keeping an eye on the overall situation and updating to SAE only when (if) SKSE64 and all the mods you use have been updated.

back up your Skyrim.exe too.  Steam tries to trick you into updating because everything these days has to be manipulating douches.

Tey are saying the Skse64 based mods will have to be updated too. Make a list of your must have skyse based mods and don't update until that's done.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:16 AM, YojimboRatchet said:

regarding the new Skyrim update coming soon, this one might be worth keeping an eye on for now. It's a patch to revert from the new updated version to the older SE version, once the update is released.

Unofficial Skyrim SE Downgrade Patch

FYI - as of November 7 the patch on Nexus is set to hidden.  I don't know if it's temporary or not. 

Here's another solution @Toucanyoucan posted.  He says it's a way to download the pre-AE version of Skyrim SE on Steam. 

Edited by ttts1