Reginald_001

Fallout 76 announcement? (Bethesda Live Stream)

We all know the saying that you should never attribute something to malice if it can be more easily explained by stupidity.

My question now is this: How fucking incompetent is Bethesda?

The latest patch, 1.0.2.3 (on the 4th) was supposed to fix camp items disappearing if the game decides to pack up your camp. The problem was that items like crops and water purifiers that were placed on the ground would just be deleted, rather than stored.

Well... the patch certainly fixed that! Now all items not placed on foundations get duplicated into your camps stored items tab, every time you log out and back into the game at a location other than your camp. I ended up with 15 purifiers, over 400 crops and 15 scarecrows.

The folks at Bethesda are now so stupid and incompetent that players use item duping glitches by accident. Without even attempting it... It is actually kinda beautiful.

“We don't need no water, let that dumpster fire burn! Burn dumpster fire! Burn!”

15 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

• Bethesda devs make substandard buggy games that are short on story and long on filler.
  • Todd Howard and Pete Hines are pathological liars when it comes to the games.  They have LIED about every game, starting with Oblivion.
  • Todd Howard's and Pete Hines' level of snark and contempt for the customers.
  • Gaming journos giving Bethesda and the cocksuckers who dev their games a free pass with every release.  Best game evah 10/10 my ass.
  • The fanboi/fangurl base is as bad as feminists and SJWs when it comes to defending the games and Bethesda.  It's religious zealot-level pathetic.
  • $60 and 90 hrs of my life were wasted on FO4.  If someone did that to me in RL I'd do doughnuts in their yard on my dirt bike.  I'd get even somehow.

Which brings me to FO76 being treated as the dumpster fire it is; to me it's vindication for everything that has to do with Bethesda and the mod scene and the fanbase around it.  If I had a choice between getting my 60 bucks back or closing Bethesda's doors forever I'd take the $60.  Fuck Bethesda.

Woah there, calm down! Did Bethesda's mistakes really offend you that much? Why so sensitive about it? I can't imagine how you face the world if something like this can provoke such hostility. ?

Complaining about feminists and "SJWs" overreacting to perceived mistreatment in real life situations while simultaneously losing your mind over a game developer's incompetence is exactly the kind of hypocrisy I was referring to. You're suggesting destroying the livelihoods of 400 people at Bethesda Game Studios because you didn't like their game, yet people getting angry when someone says something they found deeply offensive is crossing the line? And those 400 people aren't the corporate suits type either, the vast majority of them are game-loving developers.

I'm going to assume you're exaggerating or this conversation is just putting an unfairly negative spotlight on you. I can't judge you based on this alone so I have to give you the benefit of the doubt. Besides, I think I've used a mod you made in the past, so clearly you deserve at least a little thanks from me for your work. I wonder if you've ever used a mod I've made? ? It isn't really important, though. I'm not interested in fighting with you, but Bethesda doesn't deserve all that hostility. They deserve some of that hostility, yes, but not all of it. ?

Despite the many flaws of Bethesda's games, I still hold them in much higher regard than the yearly Call of Duty style games that tend to be quite polished and entirely lacking in soul. That criticism might be unfair coming from me - I haven't played a Call of Duty game in over a decade - but I rarely see any reason to have interest in them. I'm quite used to playing Indie games that can have game-breaking bugs, though they deserve an extra pass because they generally aren't hundreds of people. Still, I'd rather have bugs and soul than polish and blandness.

Don't get me wrong, Bethesda's games have problems. And don't get me wrong, Fallout 76 has some serious, serious flaws, far worse than the normal Bethesda fare and lacking much of their usual charm. But I at least appreciate them trying and experimenting. I don't have a very high opinion of Bethesda Softworks' legal team, but I like Bethesda Game Studios as a developer. Todd Howard has a tendency to say things that turn out to be serious exaggerations or just not make it into the final game at all, but I think he means well. (I'm a bit more wary of Pete Hines, though.)

3 hours ago, Tefnacht said:

We all know the saying that you should never attribute something to malice if it can be more easily explained by stupidity.

The latest patch, 1.0.2.3 (on the 4th) was supposed to fix camp items disappearing if the game decides to pack up your camp. The problem was that items like crops and water purifiers that were placed on the ground would just be deleted, rather than stored.

Well... the patch certainly fixed that! Now all items not placed on foundations get duplicated into your camps stored items tab, every time you log out and back into the game at a location other than your camp. I ended up with 15 purifiers, over 400 crops and 15 scarecrows.

The folks at Bethesda are now so stupid and incompetent that players use item duping glitches by accident. Without even attempting it... It is actually kinda beautiful.

“We don't need no water, let that dumpster fire burn! Burn dumpster fire! Burn!”

I'm just going to stay clear of Fallout 76 for a while. ? For now it's going down, not up. It'll probably turn around and turn into a better game in a few months or a year, but right now they're going way beyond Bethesda's normal issues and forging new ground in screwing this up. I still have some hopes for Fallout 76's future, but man the Austin studio is dropping the ball.

On the plus side, all this might make them even more question the value of trying to host private servers themselves. If letting people host on their own would both reduce costs and help placate their playerbase, that might seem like an attractive option right now. That would be a major win for modding. If those leaks are correct, sounds like that might be closer to Todd's original vision anyway.

I mean seriously, Bethesda. If your servers are having trouble, you have only yourselves to blame. I don't even want to be playing on your servers. I would MUCH rather be hosting it myself on my own machine.

...wouldn't be surprised if hosting things on their end was an anti-piracy idea from corporate, actually. I wonder how they feel about that idea now?

13 minutes ago, Omni said:

Woah there, calm down! Did Bethesda's mistakes really offend you that much? Why so sensitive about it? I can't imagine how you face the world if something like this can provoke such hostility. ?

They are not 'mistakes' but conscious decisions made at Bethesda.  Justifying their actions, making light of them or just patently making excuses for Bethesda IS why their games are in the state they're in.  They keep getting away with it; until now at least.  And yeah, the $60 I was mislead into spending means more to me than every job at Bethesda.  It's the principle.  If they want some good will then they need to stop lying and fucking people over.

Send me a link to the mod you want me to check out; as long as it's not for FO4.

6 hours ago, Tefnacht said:

That is not a bug but game feature. :P you gotta love Bethesda for that. and when you use that they will still bann you for it even though they created this glitch. That way they can keep your money without you be able to play there game you just need to buy a new copy.

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Send me a link to the mod you want me to check out; as long as it's not for FO4.

I didn't really mean to say you should, just that I don't know if you have. I'm not trying to advertise my mods, just an interesting thing that crosses my mind as a modder, even as a minor modder. ? Haven't made any mods for Fallout 4, though.

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

They are not 'mistakes' but conscious decisions made at Bethesda.  Justifying their actions, making light of them or just patently making excuses for Bethesda IS why their games are in the state they're in.  They keep getting away with it; until now at least.  And yeah, the $60 I was mislead into spending means more to me than every job at Bethesda.  It's the principle.  If they want some good will then they need to stop lying and fucking people over.

I feel weird while defending Fallout 76, since I'm often annoyed by how features catering to multiplayer can severely detract from a game I would otherwise enjoy. I'm also fairly pro-Indie and anti-AAA game publishers. But in the case of Fallout 76, I feel like there has been a great deal of overreaction, as well as people talking in detail about how terrible the game is when they've never played it. It's okay to express anger at them making this bizarre multiplayer experiment at all, or the general ideas in it, or the terrible choices they've been making on the PR side, but people seem to be criticizing it for flaws it doesn't have, which seems strange considering the ample flaws it DOES have.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity," as Tefnacht quoted above. Most certainly some of the decisions made represent people who don't care about the quality of the game, but plenty of others stem from good old fashioned incompetence.

I'm very concerned about Anthem as well. I get much of the same feeling from it that I got from Mass Effect: Andromeda before its release: that something is wrong. That fundamental choices that have been made doomed this game long ago. But unlike Bethesda with Fallout 76, I think all of BioWare's eggs are in the Anthem basket, and it failing could have dire consequences. Especially since they're under EA, masters of money-grubbing and purging any studio that fails to consistently rake in the cash.

The people working at BioWare have changed enough over time that they aren't quite the same developer as before. Still, I hope BioWare survives this. They've made some great games, especially their older games.

4 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

I'm not going to pretend to care about Beth devs. If they are passionate about making games, find a different studio. Todd, Pete nor the suits above them are passionate about games. They are there to make sure the game brings in the dough.

I've never understood the Todd hate. The guy has said some things that seem hilariously far from the truth, ("Fallout 3 has over 200 endings", or "it just works", I could go on) but I don't think his shortcomings are from the same place as the suits of publishers. I think his over-promises are from enthusiasm, not cynicism. I actually find it kind of endearing. I can understand what it's like to see an amazing concept as possible and within reach, but ultimately have to settle for far less when reality sets in.

But hey, be thankful Todd Howard isn't Peter Molyneux. Now that guy has an impressively terrible relationship with the truth.

46 minutes ago, Omni said:

I think his over-promises are from enthusiasm, not cynicism. I actually find it kind of endearing.

"FO76 has new light and landscape technology."  He said that and it was a bold-faced lie and he knew it.  I guess that's kittens and puppies cute.

1 hour ago, Omni said:

I've never understood the Todd hate. The guy has said some things that seem hilariously far from the truth, ("Fallout 3 has over 200 endings", or "it just works", I could go on) but I don't think his shortcomings are from the same place as the suits of publishers. I think his over-promises are from enthusiasm, not cynicism. I actually find it kind of endearing. I can understand what it's like to see an amazing concept as possible and within reach, but ultimately have to settle for far less when reality sets in.

But hey, be thankful Todd Howard isn't Peter Molyneux. Now that guy has an impressively terrible relationship with the truth.

It's a meme, first and foremost. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/toddposting

That being said, with more and more of 4chan leaking into the mainstream internet, people often have trouble to separate reality from memes, so they tend to take memes at face value. Todd Howard is a developer and working for Bethesda, it's not the other way around. So he can't exactly go around telling the audience that the suits at Zenimax are fucking things up or imposing ideas upon the dev team. More often than not, employees are obligated to say nothing but positive things about the company and the products they're working on. Even if they're not bound by contract to only say nice things, it would be career suicide if you spill the beans on what happens behind closed curtains. Not only are you going to get fired from your current job, other companies probably won't hire you.

That being said, the terrible writing and dumbed down mechanics are usually attributed to Emil Pagliarulo, not Howard. It's kinda telling that the addons/DLCs are usually much better than the base game, at least after the general decline that followed Morrowind - Shivering Isles for Oblivion, Dragonborn for Skyrim and Far Harbor for Fallout 4. Probably because the team has much more creative freedom, seeing as DLCs don't have the pressure to appeal to as many people as possible.

The way I see it, the memes around Todd Howard are generally an endearing endavour, not an antagonizing one. People gobbling up PR-speak and believing it, well. You only have yourself to blame for that. The average consumer should know by now that EVERYTHING someone says in their role as a representative of their respective company should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

8 hours ago, Kargrin said:

So EA heard players like T-poses....

Reveal hidden contents

anthem04794339.jpg

Thats from Anthem alpha btw.

By the way, this picture comes from a dubious website, it's a snapshot and does not prove, that this is a T-pose!
What if these two characters, want to hug?

the characters in the background do not have that pose. :classic_wink:

lol is gives in a lot of games. :classic_tongue: also in reality ?

DfFkCxVX0AA3Swg.jpg

Spoiler

4 hours ago, shadowlord445 said:

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda already did that.  Anthem will be the stake to the heart.

Fixed that for you!

I liked DA2 and ME3.....well ME3 with the happy ending mod anyway!  Mods save the day.....again!

ME3 without the happy ending mod.......yea, dumpster fire.

5 hours ago, shadowlord445 said:

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda already did that.  Anthem will be the stake to the heart.

I prefer BioWare games, because they are simply making better stories and because I do not need mods to repair the game! :classic_wink:

In any case I had in Their games almost no CTDs, Skyrim Vanilla holy shit, simple into the trash! ?

tJKlWOL.gif?noredirect

More Anthem

anthemlol2.jpg

-Some graphical gliches

-Background textures looks good zoomed out, but when you zoom in...

-Multiplayer matchmaking from the start

-City hub was downgraded from the trailer, way less people

-Wildlife either just run in circles until they die, or take too long to respond, while some don't even fight back

-No robot customization aside from colors (at least in alpha)

-Abilities are granade/missles or just shoot them

-The story have nothing special, is the cliched "ANCIENT ALIEN TECH/CREATOR RACE" (destiny and horizon zero dawn, among many others come to mind)

Well I am gloomy, Fallout 76 is clearly a disaster as the predicted, the word is CEO Bethseba is one of these idiots who considers himself above morality, IE stupid and evil, and apparently the whole game was his stupid idea. Knowing how idiots like that work, he will reject any blame himself, scapegoat fire the staff for not supporting his brilliant idea and claim the customers are the problem.  So much for TES6.

1 hour ago, Kargrin said:

More Anthem

Reveal hidden contents

anthemlol2.jpg

-Some graphical gliches

-Background textures looks good zoomed out, but when you zoom in...

-Multiplayer matchmaking from the start

-City hub was downgraded from the trailer, way less people

-Wildlife either just run in circles until they die, or take too long to respond, while some don't even fight back

-No robot customization aside from colors (at least in alpha)

-Abilities are granade/missles or just shoot them

-The story have nothing special, is the cliched "ANCIENT ALIEN TECH/CREATOR RACE" (destiny and horizon zero dawn, among many others come to mind)

It's as if Nike decided to start making dress shoes and heels......

I started playing the Elder Scrolls (Morrowind) and Fallout games because of their uniqueness. This turned into a modding experience where I could make the game my own.

Now it appears corporate greed is gambling that what made them 'great' can be either capitalized on (looking at you creation club) or ignored (looking at you Online attempts).

It seems to me if you dig hard enough into any IP, you find the original inspiration and love has left the building, only to be replaced by vampires whom only desire is to suck the life out of it (looking at you Star Wars). I did like 'Solo: a star wars story' btw. But it wasn't as much fun knowing this -

939613354_HanEatsIt.PNG.d2048f9de1ce688a81e4ec2b9ffbb26e.PNG