Should I switch from oldrim to SE

20 hours ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Untitled.png

59k mods vs 14k mods. :thonk:

Less Mods, worse graphics, incomplete and godawful excuse for enb, cretin club and repeated breaking of SKSE because of said club and the "it's more stable" myth, because memory patches and enboost didn't fix that half a decade ago :lol:

If you choose SSE, well then, I have a bridge to sell you :]

Even with all of the memory patches, my old LE installation was no where near as stable as my SE installation with just 1/4 of the scripted mod load. I finally dropped LE despite it having a higher number of mods (which invariably rendered the game unplayable after playing for enough time) because of personal experience, not some group think which I have yet to find any evidence of.

One just has to weight the pros and cons of each format and decide what works best for them.

For me, there is really only one mod that I really wanted to see make the transition yet has not even two years on is Immersive First Person but I can always go back to LE to use that mod for screenshots. I want to be able to complete a full play through right now so SE is the way to go. 

Of course, Creation Club updates do make that a bit more difficult than it otherwise would be.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:16 AM, Torne said:

honestly, you guys can roll your exe back. if your game does get updated. so no worries at all for that, and it's quick and easy to do.

No, it's not that easy. Except you don't update your mod or get new mod, you will need to update all skse version depend mod sooner or later.

And if you are playing heavily modded skyrim, the amount of mods that need update can easily reach dozens.(I have nearly twenty, and SL mod isn't included)

So if you can make your oldrim stable, there is no reason to switch to se.

Then that's the real question, isn't it?

Is it worth jumping to SSE and dealing with the constant update of CC and either postponing on updating all the mods that require the script extender knowing that eventually you will have to download those updated files at some point if you want to keep up-to-date with the latest? or....

Stick with classic Skyrim and try to maintain your game as stable as possible by using the available patches and not going too crazy with scripted mods otherwise you'll turn your game into Fallout 76 with swords.

There's pros and cons for either one.

16 minutes ago, endgameaddiction said:

Is it worth jumping to SSE and dealing with the constant update of CC and either postponing on updating all the mods that require the script extender knowing that eventually you will have to download those updated files at some point if you want to keep up-to-date with the latest? or....

That "eventually" is very important here. You don't have to update right away unless there is some game breaking bug in the mod you use that this update fixes, so why not just wait a few days?

I'd love to go back to Oldrim, things would be so easier in some ways, but I am also tired of stuttering every few seconds when the game fails to keep up loading basic stuff on time even on unmodded game.

I keep playing with the last update version and just download updates as they come. Once I have all I update the game. If at some point a mod I really want is not updated, I'll stop updating the game until I get a reason to.

I don't just keep a backup of the exe in case I get an accidental update, I keep a backup of all the game files of my current version, just in case the update does more. Early on I had acciental updates so I'm slightly paranoid.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, daedal said:

special edition is the future

Is the FAAAAAAAAR Future...

Go standard edition cause I am right cause haha! And we already have a topic started on this subject matter.

Assuming this will be integrated with the main topic, standard Skyrim has numerically more mods than special Skyrim (on the Nexus anyway). What this means is totally up to you.

if your new to modding special edition is the way to go. far less hair pulling and more and more mods are being created AND ported 

oldrim will have less and less support as time goes on, and at that point you'll have to buy SE to be up to date, even if it is "far" future. 

imo, best and most stable option.

either way, both are skyrim and both have given me aids a handful of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ! I'm new here, i just made an account because i wanted to start a fresh modded Skyrim playthrough. I did not buy to game yet, i played it a long ago (2 years or more) but not... legally. Anyway, i looked up at all those mods here, i was absolutely amazed by the quality, well done to the modders. But as i was looking, i saw that there is a different modding section for the special edition of Skyrim.

So my question is : Are all "non special edition mods" compatible with the special edition ? I know it sounds a little dumb asked like that, but i need to be sure ! And if so, what "edition" of skyrim would you recommend to someone who want to put hundreds of mod in it ?

PS : Sorry for possibly bad english, it's not my native language.

Hi there, the question you asked about Special Edition mods working with The normal Skyrim "Legendary Edition". Nope, the mods for Special Edition are not compatible with the normal Skyrim, with a very few exceptions... 

If you want to run hundreds of mods, you can do that on both the editions. I have both editions and I have around 373 mods in the normal edition and 172 in my Special Edition. But the normal Skyrim has

to be tweaked by ENB Boost and other various mods to extend the limit of mods it can handle. 

If you take my advice, I'd say stick the the normal edition cause it has tons of mods compared to Special Edition. The Special Edition got updated recently breaking SKSE "Script Extender" for mods.

I hope this helped. 

So, I've be modding Oldrim for like 7 years now and initially when Special Edition came out I passed up on the modding seen until it developed a bit further I was just wondering if the stability of Cash-grab edition is actually significantly better or if i should just stick with Oldrim?

Yeah, of course it's better when it's legal, and i don't play pirated game anymore. Back in the days, i was younger, and i had no way of buying a game rather than asking my parents. And basically, you can't buy anymore the legendary edition, i guess buying the special edition makes you have the legendary but i'm not sure. Instead, i prefer buying a steam key of legendary edition, because it's way cheaper !

I don't really think it is worth it no. If you are careful with the mods you are adding you can end up with a fairly stable experience on old rim, and some of the best mods have not been updated for SSE.

Plus the special edition doesnt even look better. Slightly better textures and lighting compared to vanilla skyrim, but compared to modded skyrim with high res textures and a good ENB oldrim looks way better.

Hmmm old New ? Well " an old fart so i probably won't move to SSE but it looks like a lot of mods are available now.  I won't move to the new game mostly because of money its very simple. But if you can financially and you advanced far enough to use mod organizer you might consider it.  SSE is close enough to old rim  to be an easy port and various mods seem to work on both.   Even though i haven't used SSE I have played other 64 bit games and I am sure they are all better because they allow more memory to be used. Many of Oldrims problems go back to the fact it was designed to work on MS XP 32bit and bridge the gap to Vista which was the beginning of common MS 64bit systems.  No matter what you do XP only allowed the whole system to use 3.5 gigs of memory which for a modded game is what you spend a considerable amount of time trying to fix to get Skyrim stable.  Nowadays average gaming machines are running 8 - 32 gigs of memory back in XP days that was considered work station.  OH btw my comments have more to to with stability than how pretty the game is because i find myself moving between the hi res and vanilla textures depending on wheather or not i am in a busy combat section.   I play TERA which is an MMO of course but the difference is profound TERA seldom crashes.  It has other problems but most of those are bandwidth related.  TERA btw automaticly moves between hi res and low res in dungeons depending on the traffic in a cell.  So i tune the game for what I am doing that is combat or exploration Anyway since you said you have been playing for 7 years you certainly are not  a novice.   If you will get 5 more years out of the new game It might be worth it I notice that the mod count is getting up there with the heavy hitters.  To me a serious factor is how many big DLC story mods will be done in the future as games move on in their life cycle the modding community will be moving on.  If it was your first Skyrim purchase I would say say yes definately because there is so much available to do.  Also its a great sandbox you really learn a lot about computing scrambling around trying to get your favorite mods to work together..  Also even though there is other D&D type fantasy games about it's good to help support BETHESSDA they have done much more than other companies to support their modding community.   One company owned by EA comes to mind here.  EA has done everything they could to shit on their legacy games  and these games had been getting modded for 10 years and more.  Welp there's my take on it.

Oldrim = more mods, better looks with mods, better community support, but still slightly unstable no matter what when using script-heavy mods

Newrim = better stability with script-heavy mods, but far fewer mods, far less community support, and plagued by "updates" for the Creation Club

My advice? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And Oldrim ain't broke.

For me it was worth it. Oldrim just doesn't run as smooth as SSE, with mods or without. I don't really care how good it looks with ENB and 4K textures, when I can have similar experience with SSE ENB and 4K textures and almost double the FPS on top of that. SSE has fewer mods, but you can in most cases just port them over yourself, there are numerous step by step guides for that and it doesn't even take long to do it. CC is kind of annoying, but you don't have to update your game so, minor issue for me.

yea I switched and now I'm supporting the new community. SSE will be far superior in the future no matter how you look at it since its only up from here.

SSE may have fewer mods but it also has completely new ones and even better ones. it's not hard to get it to look good either.

plus... stability

you want stability? goto SSE, its 100 ZILLIONS times more stable than oldrim.  many many mods have been ported, and animations are easy af to port. i will not go back to oldrim. best decision i ever made. can you play oldrim for 8 hours with no crash? with 60+ mods? gl. [gg to the ppl who get oldrim stable with 100+ mods, i envy you, i couldnt do it]

SSE having a better stability? Nope.

I have just finished the switch over to SSE after spending 2000h in playing and much more time in modding Oldrim the last years.

After installing nearly 200 hand-picked mods which have a good reputation and only few rare bug reports, SSE suddenly shreddered all saves.

Missing Papyrus block, because of too many scripts or installed mods said ReSaver.

It took years to ruin my Oldrim completely, but only a few days with SSE.

Ok, SSE was running smooth, smoother than Oldrim ever, but after reaching Morthal area for the first time I got long lags when saving and more and more ctd.
I tried to roll a few days back, uninstalled some of the last installed mods, cleaned the working saves, but no luck.

The game stayed unplayable, crashing in more and more areas.
So I reduced the amount of installed mods and started from scratch.

So my experience is mixed.

SSE is running smoother and looks as good as my Oldrim before.

There are some SSE only mods, I really like.
Many of my favourite mods have been ported and are running fine, but there are still some essential mods missing or not stable enough at the moment.

For example Dual Sheath Redux, Wet and Cold, Sky UI, widescreen support and not to forget Sexlab, Sexlab Aroused and SoS are still not in the same state as for Oldrim.

The new CBBE body is ok, even it is missing the belly nodes, but the CBBE body textures on Nexus are a mess.
They mix COSIO and all other texture packs with all possible combinations of missing special parts for diffuse, normal and specular maps.

The new DDS format and the unability of paint.net to handle BC7 compressed files makes it hard to identify and create matching textures.

CBPC is a nice replacement for HDT, I really like how easy it is to configure.

There´s still a lot to improve, but it´s stable and free of glitches so far.

Unfortunately SMP is still not ready for the masses.

It seems to be technically superior, but it really needs a kind of AIO package with all needed files, a basic start configuration, an understandable documentation and an editor or tool providing a GUI where you can see what you are doing with which parameter, something like Bodyslide for physics would be awesome.