Should I switch from oldrim to SE

5 minutes ago, Vachnic said:

If you own "old" Skyrim (aka Oldrim) and all the DLC (Dawnguard, Hearthfires, Dragonborn), you should be able to download Skyrim SE for free. It should already be in your Steam library then.

That was a temporary offer back when SSE first launched and it's since expired.

26 minutes ago, Vachnic said:

If you own "old" Skyrim (aka Oldrim) and all the DLC (Dawnguard, Hearthfires, Dragonborn), you should be able to download Skyrim SE for free. It should already be in your Steam library then.

and as CPU already said: Oldrim with all the DLC is called Skyrim LE (legendary edition)

That was true months ago.

Beteshda stopped the "free upgrade".

Well, I just gave SE a try and to be honest, I´m not impressed. ENB´s look horrible, lots of my favorite mods need proper conversion, installing hdt is a pain the ass and having to port a lot of mods in an not so easy fashion scared me off. Don´t get me wrong, if I would be able to make everything work the way I want it to, I´d be glad to put a lot of work into it, but the sad truth is that SE will probably never reach the moddinglevel that oldrim achieved and that is enough reason for me to stick to the old, stinky original skyrim.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:25 PM, CPU said:

Armor mods are easy ported, you can already find most of them for SSE.

I'm assuming we have to port non-Nexus armor mods ourselves? Like the armors from Team TAL and ninirim.

Two questions regarding porting armor mods:

1) How is that done? Is it running the esp through the new CK and running meshes through some tool?

2) Is the body shape of choice different now? Is it CBBE now but a different CBBE than the one in Skyrim LE? If that's the case, I imagine that adds complexity to the conversions since it would also involve having to mesh with stuff in Outfit Studio, which could get very labor intensive for armor mods that have a lot of individual armor pieces.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, Sokka said:

Well, I just gave SE a try and to be honest, I´m not impressed. ENB´s look horrible, lots of my favorite mods need proper conversion, installing hdt is a pain the ass and having to port a lot of mods in an not so easy fashion scared me off. Don´t get me wrong, if I would be able to make everything work the way I want it to, I´d be glad to put a lot of work into it, but the sad truth is that SE will probably never reach the moddinglevel that oldrim achieved and that is enough reason for me to stick to the old, stinky original skyrim.

Yep, that why I'm still sicking to Oldrim. I doubt SSE will ever have a popular moding scene like Oldrim since a lots of Skyrim modder already moving on and don't have any interest with SSE. Just look at nexus top mod. SSE have been out for nearly 2 years and all we get is retexture, follower and occasional port from oldrim. Many talent modder and animator still focus on making mod for Oldrim first hand. The SSE version usually be port later by someone else .At this point we may as well skip SSE and wait for TES VI .

On 8/11/2018 at 5:16 PM, Sokka said:

13 minutes ago, assassin394 said:

Yep, that why I'm still sicking to Oldrim. I doubt SSE will ever have a popular moding scene like Oldrim since a lots of Skyrim modder already moving on and don't have any interest with SSE. Just look at nexus top mod. SSE have been out for nearly 2 years and all we get is retexture, follower and occasional port from oldrim. Many talent modder and animator still focus on making mod for Oldrim first hand. The SSE version usually be port later by someone else .At this point we may as well skip SSE and wait for TES VI .

How long did it take Oldrim to get to the point where is is now? And do you really expect SE to get to the same point within a day?

From my point of view, SE made a lot of progress within the last half year. And if it is not the modding scene that will make SE great again, it will be the porting community.

There are just a few of the basics missing right now to make EVERYTHING portable. The most important things are the physics and the stability tools. In some cases it is easier to make a mod for oldrim and port it to SE, than do the whole development directly for SE. Take the Animations for example. As long as the authors are ok with ports, I don't see any problem with that. 

On 8/19/2018 at 2:55 AM, assassin394 said:

Almost every oldrim mod there is already works in SE unless it requires a DLL that does not exist for SE.  So SE already has over 99% of all the mods that oldrim does.

Sometimes I'm not too familiar with this site, but I'm curious how the site is doing between old and new Skyrim.

I will probably make the decision to switch to old Skyrim based on the availability of LLab mods for it. Although, I never went too crazy with LLab mods. For the most part, I think I usually just picked up the most popular ones. For that purpose, I'm curious if there are any threads or if anyone can tell me and help understand how things are. Unfortunately the last time I quit my playthrough was before the SE release and I've obviously not been paying that much attention since.

I was considering switching just for the performance and I think better stability from being on 64-bit. Sometimes I play on laptop, and its 950m is sub-par for playing Skyrim on medium + mods. But if LLab won't work out well, I doubt I would then.

cause RL I have no more time to spend in gaming..but after 2 year, I'm back to Skyrim SE, to play the game once in a while, just for fun..

I put everything I needed, ENB, SKSE64, SKYUI, HDT SMP, Racemenu, Bodyslide, CBBE SE, Sexlab 1.63beta2 and all the mod that interested me (someone like SexLab Amorous Adventures, PAH Home Sweet Home and some Player Home, I converted by myself.. it's not difficult if you look at the tutorials).. all installed by Mod Manager 2.

now I have over 200 mod, almost 10000 SLAL animations recorded in FNIS and I've never had a CTD.. just some FPS drop caused by HDT in Riften... F4-->F9 always solves the problem.

quite surprising if you think that with the same configuration in Oldrim, I had a CTD randomly quite often..

I'm not coming back to Skyrim Legendary at all ?

On 8/20/2018 at 8:20 PM, khumak said:

Almost every oldrim mod there is already works in SE unless it requires a DLL that does not exist for SE.  So SE already has over 99% of all the mods that oldrim does.

What about armor mods? UUNP is standard on Classic, but is CBBE the new standard on SE (by backporting the FO4 CBBE body) ?

Some of the most active armor modders right now are only on Patreon (e.g. Team TAL, Ninirim, etc) and I don't think I've really seen ports for theirs.

45 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

What about armor mods? UUNP is standard on Classic, but is CBBE the new standard on SE (by backporting the FO4 CBBE body) ?

Some of the most active armor modders right now are only on Patreon (e.g. Team TAL, Ninirim, etc) and I don't think I've really seen ports for theirs.

The oldrim bodies all work in SE and so do the armor mods that use them.  You just can't mix and match.  If you want the new CBBE SE body then yeah you don't have a very good selection of armor mods.  But if you use UNP/UUNP/oldrim CBBE/etc then you have exactly the same selection of armor mods in SE as you did in oldrim...

52 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

UUNP is working fine in SE and if the original authors don't release a port, you can port the oldrim armors yourself. Easy thing to do....

The only thing I don't like about SE on LL is that there's a fair few modders that develop for oldrim as a preference, and then leave the SE port (if they even care to port it themselves) for later. That means, usually there's a delay in what you get on SE.

If you take to doing the port yourself, then you face the situation of porting each patch that a new mod comes up with. Maybe every three or so months if they're active. Not a bad thing, I guess. But it's a thing (that I'm actually thinking about, since there are some new mods over there being developed).

14 minutes ago, tryguy said:

The only thing I don't like about SE on LL is that there's a fair few modders that develop for oldrim as a preference, and then leave the SE port (if they even care to port it themselves) for later. That means, usually there's a delay in what you get on SE.

If you take to doing the port yourself, then you face the situation of porting each patch that a new mod comes up with. Maybe every three or so months if they're active. Not a bad thing, I guess. But it's a thing (that I'm actually thinking about, since there are some new mods over there being developed).

Well porting mods sometimes takes less time then downloading them... 

4 hours ago, tryguy said:

That's because if you develop it for SE there's NO easy way to convert it fo LE but devlop it for LE and there are nice tools for making it work in SE. 

Any modder supporting both versions will therefor develop for LE first and that will be the true reason why.

5 hours ago, khumak said:

The oldrim bodies all work in SE and so do the armor mods that use them.  You just can't mix and match.  If you want the new CBBE SE body then yeah you don't have a very good selection of armor mods.  But if you use UNP/UUNP/oldrim CBBE/etc then you have exactly the same selection of armor mods in SE as you did in oldrim...

5 hours ago, Pfiffy said:

UUNP is working fine in SE and if the original authors don't release a port, you can port the oldrim armors yourself. Easy thing to do....

I know I could keep using UUNP or the old CBBE, but what is the accepted standard for body shape in SE though?

If CBBE SE is what new armors are being released as, then that's probably the body shape I'd want to use.

6 minutes ago, nanashi50 said:

I know I could keep using UUNP or the old CBBE, but what is the accepted standard for body shape in SE though?

If CBBE SE is what new armors are being released as, then that's probably the body shape I'd want to use.

CBBE SE is the accepted standard for SE.  Many new and ported mods are made for it and are BodySlide compatible.  So you make the outfits fit your custom body.  I really like it.   Miss UUNP but it's no big deal.

1 minute ago, Kain82 said:

CBBE SE is the accepted standard for SE.  Many new and ported mods are made for it and are BodySlide compatible.  So you make the outfits fit your custom body.  I really like it.   Miss UUNP but it's no big deal.

Thanks good to know.

Are CBBE SE ports only on nexus?

Many of the websites I check for armor mods and bodyshape conversions don't seem to have CBBE SE versions.

Like this site for example: https://eskrimmods.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, nanashi50 said:

Thanks good to know.

Are CBBE SE ports only on nexus?

Many of the websites I check for armor mods and bodyshape conversions don't seem to have CBBE SE versions.

Like this site for example: https://eskrimmods.blogspot.com/

The armors for the new CBBE body are mostly hosted on Nexus.  Here are some links to threads on this forum that link to CBBE SE armors.

Lastly search for CBBE armors not listed in these threads.  Remember the armors that have been converted are bodyslide compatible.  So if it doesn't say that then they are for the old CBBE body.:)

3 hours ago, Kain82 said:

The armors for the new CBBE body are mostly hosted on Nexus.  Here are some links to threads on this forum that link to CBBE SE armors.

Lastly search for CBBE armors not listed in these threads.  Remember the armors that have been converted are bodyslide compatible.  So if it doesn't say that then they are for the old CBBE body.:)

Thanks. Too bad I don't see anything for Ninirim's stuff.

Installed SSE a few weeks ago and didn't even make to riverwood because my game froze. Yeah, it's the same mess as 32 bit. it doesn't surprise me. And before anyone says 'but but playing without unofficial patches is suicide, bruh', you're right, Just because it's 64bit doesn't make it bug proof. Especially being a Behtesda game.

So I went back to Skyrim and saved myself the trouble of downloading hoards of mods for that so so so special edition.